Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 07:49:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Browser-Based Titles  |  Topic: 1100 A.D. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 1100 A.D.  (Read 15064 times)
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

on: March 06, 2009, 07:13:38 AM

1100 A.D. A pretty fun strategy/kingdom game. I've been playing the beta for a while, but they just put up the first live server today. The newbie protection period is pretty long, plenty long enough to build up your kingdom, defenses, and armies. The build queue is pretty nice too. You can have 2 structures building and 3 more waiting. You can cue stuff you don't have resources for and when you get them it will start the build.

The only real drawback I've found is that the locations for your resources are randomly determined so sometimes their placement hinders compact structure building.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 10:25:08 AM

Is this Travian-esque? Am I going to have midnight raids that decimate my kingdom?

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 10:37:43 AM

Ah fuck it. Need something to play while the West is going. :)

Edit: Note to anyone that starts. Don't build a Farm right away. You won't start with 50 population until the current construction project the game starts you on is finished.

Kinda wish I could reboot.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 11:19:28 AM by Lorekeep »

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Aez
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009, 01:11:50 PM

Need a confirmation that it's not like Travian and I'm trying it.  Midnight raid and megaguild domination?
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: March 06, 2009, 02:57:34 PM

Well this server only has 350 people on it so far. That's 5% capacity. So no Mega Guilds... yet.

angry.bob
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: March 06, 2009, 03:27:16 PM

Need a confirmation that it's not like Travian and I'm trying it.  Midnight raid and megaguild domination?

I never had any travianesque experiences with it. You can build enough hidey-spots to protect everything, and there's no special traits that lets people steal what you've hidden. I never got raided and the newbie protection is at least two weeks last I checked. That's enough time to max out your resource nodes, buildings, put walls around everything, etc. I imagine if you build a giant city without a wall and try defending it with 5 crossbowmen you'll get farmed.

schild
Administrator

Reply #6 on: March 06, 2009, 03:53:28 PM

What's the purpose of RMT on this one?
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: March 06, 2009, 03:59:23 PM

They have a bunch of little features, including knowing the strength of an approaching force to enabling certain buttons in the UI. It's not simplified like other clients that I've seen.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #8 on: March 06, 2009, 04:29:39 PM

I never had any travianesque experiences with it. You can build enough hidey-spots to protect everything, and there's no special traits that lets people steal what you've hidden

People said that about Travian too, but it was never true.  For one thing, after a certain point you had to raze every building in your city to make room for more hidey-spots, because each one held so little; they were meant as newbie protection, not as a long-term strategy.  For another, if someone decided to send catapults at you and you didn't have enough units to hold them off, you were fucked.

Have you seen anything to indicate to you that this will not be the case?

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: March 08, 2009, 01:33:47 PM

People said that about Travian too, but it was never true.  For one thing, after a certain point you had to raze every building in your city to make room for more hidey-spots, because each one held so little; they were meant as newbie protection, not as a long-term strategy.  For another, if someone decided to send catapults at you and you didn't have enough units to hold them off, you were fucked.

Have you seen anything to indicate to you that this will not be the case?

Well, the entire game for one thing. Unlike travian that has a dozen or so preset building spots, your territory in 1100 is laid our in a grid that's about 10x10 (it's not a perfect square). the placement of your 4-square castle and each of your five, 1-square resource nodes is randomly placed. Other than that, you can build anything on any square you want. You can build dozens of them if you want, and I think the level limit on them is 20, though I never bothered building the one up above level 5. Catapults are a significant investment in construction time and manpower. Each one takes an hour and a half to build and 20 men to crew. They also take forever, and I mean forever to move anyplace and are pretty easy to destroy.

Seriously, it's a much better game than Travian. Try it out and see. Worst case scenario is you waste a couple of weeks.

A very important tip when starting out is spend your 100 free coins to increase your build queue to 10 building, and then do nothing but keep upgrading your resource nodes until they're maxed out at level 20, occasionally upgrading a single farm to have enough people. don't forget you can queue building to build even if you don't have the resources and when you get them it'll start building automatically.

LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: March 08, 2009, 02:49:03 PM

Building a Market, Workshop, and some carts also seems to be good to at least get some BASIC trading down.

schild
Administrator

Reply #11 on: March 08, 2009, 03:54:26 PM

Fuckit, I'm Bat Country/schild on the beta server.

This GUI is cryptic, how do I upgrade a node?

I see now.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 04:00:08 PM by schild »
Aez
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: March 08, 2009, 05:14:58 PM

I started an account.  On the new server. 

Why did you start on the beta server?
schild
Administrator

Reply #13 on: March 08, 2009, 05:15:17 PM

Because it had more people? Should I not have?

Edit: I am now on Crusade. I'll just leave Bat Country to die on beta.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 05:19:19 PM by schild »
Aez
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: March 08, 2009, 05:26:47 PM

I haven't figured out if we can group/ally.  Let me know if you find a way.
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: March 08, 2009, 10:57:15 PM

How do walls work? DO I have to manually place them?

Ah haha. Angrybob is topping the Crusade World charts right now.

angry.bob
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: March 09, 2009, 05:46:57 AM

How do walls work? DO I have to manually place them?

Ah haha. Angrybob is topping the Crusade World charts right now.

Heh, yeah. Nothing like having a giant target on myself! That's all from doing nothing but upgrading my resource nodes and building a couple of farms. My resource nodes should be maxed out by tommorow and then I can start building my city proper.

Yes, you manually place walls one square at a time. They incur a X5 movement penalty for infantry, war machines and I believe cavalry cannot pass them. the squares with stones can be passed by everything but incur a X10 movement penalty. The only difference in upgrading wall sections besides graphics is hitpoints. It's a huge difference too. A level 3 section has like 10,000 hitpoints. What seems to be the way to go is build your city in the center of the map and build walls in a square shape around it as big as the map allows you. That will leave you 4 smaller "tabs" two spaces deep at each map entrance. build a wall up at the entrance and upgrade it like crazy. Fill in the space between the two walls with mountains.

LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: March 09, 2009, 07:43:08 AM

Interesting. I don't know if that's possible with my site given the fact that most of my stuff is on the outskirts of town. Take a look:

I am moving the Farm I build but everything is kinda on the edge. I assume you mean I should build a wall directly in FRONT of the entrance grids and put mountains everywhere else? Or create two perimeters?

Edit: I don't see where Coal is all that useful.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 09:45:50 AM by Lorekeep »

Aez
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: March 09, 2009, 03:10:33 PM

Edit: I don't see where Coal is all that useful.

Wait for the industrial revolution.
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: March 14, 2009, 09:13:19 PM

You know what, fuck this. I just spent a week building resource gathering nodes. A week. My first question: Where's the fun?

Thanks but no thanks.

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: March 16, 2009, 11:48:35 AM

Its a perdy game.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Stephen Zepp
Developers

InstantAction

Reply #21 on: March 22, 2009, 10:30:19 PM

So if you fill up your queue, how do you control the order in which things are built? It just seems to randomly throw them in, and doesn't have a way to change the order as far as I can tell?

Rumors of War
grebo
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: April 22, 2009, 05:59:25 PM

Hey, anyone else still playing this?  I have my resources/castle/storehouse up to 16, but reading the forums it seems like the game may become life consuming once the combat thing starts.  Anyone have any experience with that?

Why don't you try our other games?
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: May 01, 2009, 04:26:41 PM

Yes, way too time consuming. I'm about to become the #1 player on the server and it's because I game this like a motherfucker. It's fun for me, but it's mostly auctionjuggling for mad ammounts of profit while I send off troops to loot nearby towns. In the meantime, the Alliance I'm in is in a pissing match with anyone who used to be in the Warsaw Pact (the entire rest of the server) and there's a lot of strategic troop movement and whatnot constantly going on. Troop selection and city building are critical too.

In all honest, unless you've already got at least cities and at least 6,000 troops you should quit. If you want to be a cock, destroy your storehouse. If not, just stop and let your town become a farm.

grebo
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: May 01, 2009, 04:38:47 PM

Ha, ok, no. 

I've got most of my military buildings up to max level, have built just about everything, but only have 300 troops including all my carts.  And combat is coming online over the weekend when I won't even be around.

If my city is still here when I get back I guess we'll see...  Are archers/Rangers good choices for defense?

angry.bob
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: May 01, 2009, 09:50:12 PM

You need the Sight 3 rangers for the archers to make full use of their Range 3, otherwise they can only shoot Range 2. An effective army block is 3000 swordsmen to absorb damage, 1000-1500 archers, a dozen or so rangers, and then whatever to fill the army out to 5000.

grebo
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: May 05, 2009, 06:01:31 PM

Well, I tripled the size of my army, and it became painfully clear why people routinely gouge on iron.  It is a nice benefit them paying customers receive to be able to trade their coal and lye 1:1 for iron, instead of 100:1.
Went and pillaged my inactive neighbor and killed his hero, that was kinda fun.
I can see that doom will probably come calling sometime while I sleep, but for now I'll play on.  It's pretty.

grebo
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: June 12, 2009, 07:27:05 PM

This was fun for a while, but they just instituted a direct cash-for-resources exchange mechanic so I am out of here.  I don't want to fight some guy's credit card.  That's not fun.

It's too bad, the game is pretty.

tjinsane
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: July 29, 2009, 11:06:17 AM

how do even get carts? iv got  a market place. but how do i trade?
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: July 29, 2009, 11:15:56 AM

ACK!

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: July 29, 2009, 05:30:27 PM

It wouldn't let me log in after creating an account.  Strange.  Ohhhhh, I see.
grebo
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: July 30, 2009, 10:29:45 PM

how do even get carts? iv got  a market place. but how do i trade?

Umm... you hafta build the workshop building.  That's what makes the carts.  Trading is done from the marketplace, you accept the offers people put up or put up your own.  The one accepting the offer is the one who sends the carts tho, so if you just post offers you don't need to build carts.

Honestly tho, don't play this game.  You'll spend weeks robbing inactive players and building up max army and it will get destroyed in 5 minutes, probably while you're not even around...

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Browser-Based Titles  |  Topic: 1100 A.D.  
Jump to: