Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:02:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Law and Order UK 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Law and Order UK  (Read 3321 times)
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

on: February 27, 2009, 07:19:03 AM

So, is it any good?

Website here

I doubt that it'll ever been ported over to the US other than maybe on BBC America on cable.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 07:39:31 AM

I really can't imagine that it could be.  Especially with Martha Jones in it.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Oban
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 04:12:25 AM

It has a great cast, but the first show really did not make them feel like a cohesive group.  It is no Prime Suspect, Inspector Morse or... well, any British murder mystery.  Hard to put my finger on it, but I would not blame Freema Agyeman for why it felt off.  Maybe after a few more shows...

Edit:  Also, TV shows that deal with dead babies make me feel ill.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 04:22:49 AM by Oban »

Palin 2012 : Let's go out with a bang!
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 08:23:28 PM

Well, I watched the first episode of this. It wasn't bad. The cast is pretty good, the story was pretty standard, but that's probably due to it being a pilot episode.

It was surprising to find that "Lee Adama", aka Jamie Bamber, is actually a brit from Hammersmith.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009, 12:33:04 AM

It was surprising to find that "Lee Adama", aka Jamie Bamber, is actually a brit from Hammersmith.

Well known to many as Archie in Hornblower before BSG, with his natural red hair.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: March 02, 2009, 02:04:42 AM

The amount of Brits invading your media is astonishing.  They must work cheap, or summat.

The cast of The Wire may surprise the hell out of you.  Lots of Brits in that, as I recall.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: March 02, 2009, 04:40:39 AM

In was shocked as hell when I heard McNulty doing commentary on one of the episodes.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #7 on: March 02, 2009, 06:56:55 AM

The amount of Brits invading your media is astonishing.  They must work cheap, or summat.

The cast of The Wire may surprise the hell out of you.  Lots of Brits in that, as I recall.

I just watched the first episode of season 1 and there's a few, but not lots, I don't think.  The main character, of course, and that guy from "Queer as Folk".  A couple more, although there IS a big cast.  I got curious and looked the series up and they seemed to have used mostly actors who are from the same area that the series takes place.   It makes it sound very authentic to me. 

Having said that, there really are a ton of Brits, even Scots, invating US tv recently.  Everyone's not Irish for a change! 

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #8 on: March 02, 2009, 07:00:43 AM

Not too surprising economically. Brits have a tradition in drama, and they can't pay for all the danged actors. The US loves TV, has more dosh to spread around, hence the invasion. What is astonishing is how good Brit actors are at perfecting the American accent to the point that they can fool the casual observer. I mean, if they had had a line up and put Jamie Bamber next to a bunch of American actors and told the audience that there's one 'imposter', chances are they could have picked out Adama's nasal tones as a bit forced. But only if made to scrutinize.

Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #9 on: March 02, 2009, 10:54:33 AM

On the same note, look at Chuck. I find it really funny that they have the Aussie girl still use an American accent during the network promo shots.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Oban
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: March 07, 2009, 08:23:13 AM

Episode two was about a child murdering another child.

Enough with the dead kids, please.

If the next episode is going to make me feel as uncomfortable as the first two, I am going to have to pass on watching this show.

Palin 2012 : Let's go out with a bang!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Law and Order UK  
Jump to: