Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 07:54:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Cat thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 66 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cat thread  (Read 580262 times)
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #595 on: January 12, 2010, 06:10:18 AM

My cat has spent his entire life eating dry cat food. My mom tried to give him some canned tuna once and he just turned up his nose in favour of more Purina cat chow.  It's what you're used to I guess. He won't eat cat treats either.
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #596 on: January 12, 2010, 07:39:26 AM

My cat has spent his entire life eating dry cat food. My mom tried to give him some canned tuna once and he just turned up his nose in favour of more Purina cat chow.  It's what you're used to I guess. He won't eat cat treats either.

Just like humans, cats are individually particular. My cat, even though given access to chicken, turkey, etc, will not teat them. She only eats dry cat food, and sometimes wet. My fiancee's cat as well as the cat we adopted together both love "people food".

beer geek.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #597 on: January 12, 2010, 07:43:59 AM

My cat likes tits. And has six. NOM NOM BNMO
Might explain why my cats get all inquisitive and crazy whenever I bring food into the house. They have only experienced dry catfood so far.
My boy likes to check out everything I'm eating, if he gets too demandy I give him some of whatever I'm eating...slathered in habanero sauce.

He does like his beer, though. Dark Forest is his favorite, but he's taken a shine to the 1888 Bock I'm drinking right now (not RIGHT now, the current decent beer of choice).
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #598 on: January 12, 2010, 07:55:48 AM

I try not to let my cats have any people food at all.  By people food I mean anything with grains in it, too salty, processed, over-cooked, etc.  The odd rare tiny bit of watermelon or unseasoned turkey is okay.  Some things such as milk, grapes and raisins are bad for them.  Others, such as onions and some other root veg, raw potatoes, under-ripe tomatoes and chocolate are toxic and can be deadly.  At best, however, I'd rather not have to figure out what's bad for them by having to clean up kitty vomit all over the house.  

Cats might turn up their noses at canned or raw food - cats are odd that way - but if that's what they have, eventually they'll start eating it and probably liking it.  It's not all that hard to ween them from dry. Thing is, with no dry food (and most of it isn't the best food for them by a long shot), you have to be more diligent with their teeth.  I don't want to have to put them for teeth cleanings if I don't have to because most vets tend to sedate them to do it.  They don't enjoy sedation as much us humans seem to.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #599 on: January 12, 2010, 08:25:15 AM

I try not to let my cats have any people food at all.  By people food I mean anything with grains in it, too salty, processed, over-cooked, etc.  The odd rare tiny bit of watermelon or unseasoned turkey is okay.  Some things such as milk, grapes and raisins are bad for them.  Others, such as onions and some other root veg, raw potatoes, under-ripe tomatoes and chocolate are toxic and can be deadly.  At best, however, I'd rather not have to figure out what's bad for them by having to clean up kitty vomit all over the house.  

Cats might turn up their noses at canned or raw food - cats are odd that way - but if that's what they have, eventually they'll start eating it and probably liking it.  It's not all that hard to ween them from dry. Thing is, with no dry food (and most of it isn't the best food for them by a long shot), you have to be more diligent with their teeth.  I don't want to have to put them for teeth cleanings if I don't have to because most vets tend to sedate them to do it.  They don't enjoy sedation as much us humans seem to.

Yeah, we don't actually give them big helpings of anything, with the only thing giving them is unseasoned chicken when we are cooking some, or the occasional lick of something Mosty Harmless. Really, our youngest, Bella, just STEALS stuff when you're not looking. She's a god damn food ninja.

We feed them Dry Food mostly, and with that, Innova. We fed our cats some higher than mid grade stuff before, but after the pet food scare, we've gone pretty much topshelf.

beer geek.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #600 on: January 12, 2010, 08:49:17 AM

They don't enjoy sedation as much us humans seem to.
Bart enjoys sedition.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #601 on: January 12, 2010, 09:20:02 AM

The only time any of my cats were sedated was when Magenta had her poor little butt operation.  I don't think she liked it at all.  Most competent vets will even tell you not to sedate during long air trips.  Cats, with the exception of Bart, don't like feeling out of control, evidently.  Dogs seem to be able to sleep it off and cope a lot better with that sort of thing. 

Personally, I would much rather be sedated myself on long air trips.  In fact, I can't get enough sedation in some situations!

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #602 on: January 12, 2010, 09:40:36 AM

Sedition.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #603 on: January 12, 2010, 09:44:52 AM

Oops.  Sorry.   ACK!

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #604 on: January 12, 2010, 09:56:05 AM

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #605 on: January 12, 2010, 09:57:49 PM

Lizzie is stupid and doesn't drink water, so she gets all wet food all the time (which is further watered down) to keep her pee from getting too concentrated. So because it makes my life easier, Gilly also gets nothing but wet food. I feed 'em Greenies treats (the dog kinds apparently had some sort of THEY GET STUCK IN THE INTENSTINES scare, mind). They're basically big kibbles and I can give them a bunch per day. It won't save them from having to have their teeth cleaned ever, but it does seem to help and there is no fucking way I am going anywhere near Lizzie with a toothbrush. I can barely get her claws trimmed as it is.

God Save the Horn Players
tgr
Terracotta Army

Just another victim of cyber age discrimination.

Reply #606 on: January 13, 2010, 02:54:40 AM

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #607 on: January 13, 2010, 07:48:07 AM

forwarded to SO for bonus points

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #608 on: January 13, 2010, 02:59:09 PM

Man, that thing makes me think of Ewoks.

God Save the Horn Players
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #609 on: January 13, 2010, 03:16:11 PM

That cat is so precious. Petra and Mesa are short-hairs so grooming hasn't really been an issue. Scrubs, though. They love ze scrubs.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
schild
Administrator

Reply #610 on: January 13, 2010, 05:10:23 PM

Cat is horrifying, copy is angering.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #611 on: January 13, 2010, 08:11:41 PM

Could have cropped out the text.
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #612 on: January 13, 2010, 08:59:54 PM

More a response to the "This cat is an Ewok" too.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #613 on: January 13, 2010, 09:18:24 PM

Persians are hardly cats. So damn inbred they have trouble drinking water.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #614 on: January 14, 2010, 10:44:47 AM

Persians are hardly cats. So damn inbred they have trouble drinking water.

They have trouble breathing too, no?

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #615 on: January 14, 2010, 11:19:59 AM

Why do they breed them to have such pushed in faces, anyway?  It's not like there's cat fighting rings or anything.  Or is there?  I don't even know!

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #616 on: January 14, 2010, 11:51:44 AM

Cat juggling.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #617 on: January 15, 2010, 10:25:15 AM

Now that my gf and I are down to 2 cats (from 5  swamp poop) and with her elder Himalayan on the way out, I am debating on getting another. I want a Maine Coon but the Savannahs, especially the spotted Savannahs, really have me by the throat. Granted, I am more the type to go to the shelter an adopt or even rescue, but I can't deny wanting a certain breed. 

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #618 on: January 15, 2010, 10:42:29 AM

Depends what you want out of your cat.  I enjoy an affectionate pet, so the Maine Coon was a great choice.  Mine would always curl up on my lap while reading.  I miss that. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #619 on: January 15, 2010, 10:52:07 AM

My cats have a bit of that. Unfortunately it's while I'm playing video games. And involves trying to attack the mic cord to my $100 headphones attached to my Xbox controller.

I bought Petra and Mesa a little straw ball or something the other day to add to their toys. The ball is now more like... well basically I hope they don't get ahold of any live toys because it would leave quite a mess when they are done with them.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #620 on: January 15, 2010, 11:51:32 AM

I love talking to friends on Skype when one of my cats decides that they want to attack the foam microphone cover on my headset.  It must sound pretty odd to hear someone get a cat in the face in the middle of a conversation.  They also ravage the cords when I'm not paying attention.  It's gotten to the point that I keep a spare set of headphones around "just in case".

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #621 on: January 15, 2010, 12:00:04 PM

All my cats have been random shelter type adoptions, but I admit to having a certain level of desire to get a Scottish Fold. I blame Maru.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Brogarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #622 on: January 15, 2010, 12:21:47 PM

My wife's bastard of a cat sitting his fat ass in a recently cleaned baking dish. He's lucky I wasn't there to take this picture. We'd of been having Chinese food...

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #623 on: January 15, 2010, 12:30:58 PM

My mom's more elderly cat has gone a little senile and has decided he likes to sleep on the cutting board.  If the cutting board is put away he'll settle for the exact center of the kitchen floor.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #624 on: January 15, 2010, 12:32:50 PM

If the cutting board is put away he'll settle for the exact center of the kitchen floor.

That could come in handy if you ever decide to lay some tile.  My oldest cat has taken to sleeping in the bathroom sink.  I think it's to get away from the new kitten. She can't jump up there... yet! 

-  Mark Twain
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #625 on: January 15, 2010, 12:38:21 PM

My wife's bastard of a cat sitting his fat ass in a recently cleaned baking dish. He's lucky I wasn't there to take this picture. We'd of been having Chinese food...

That is hilarious considering I refer to that as the full meatloaf position. (All paws and the tail must be tucked in for the "full" version)

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #626 on: January 15, 2010, 12:44:33 PM

There are Maine Coon rescues around.  A friend of my sister's rescued two a couple of years ago.  I think it was in Maryland.

My 18 lb Lister does exactly the same thing as Brogarn's cat.  If the container (anything and everything) is absolutely too small to get all his girth in, he'll lay his front half or ass half in and the rest out.  Magenta gets into anything left out, but at least she fits in just about everything.

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #627 on: January 15, 2010, 12:46:58 PM

There are Maine Coon rescues around.  A friend of my sister's rescued two a couple of years ago.  I think it was in Maryland.

My 18 lb Lister does exactly the same thing as Brogarn's cat.  If the container (anything and everything) is absolutely too small to get all his girth in, he'll lay his front half or ass half in and the rest out.  Magenta gets into anything left out, but at least she fits in just about everything.

My smallest is one pound larger than your Lister.

I suppose I should get around to the pic posting....

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Brogarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #628 on: January 15, 2010, 12:58:22 PM

That is hilarious considering I refer to that as the full meatloaf position.

I'm going to steal that.
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #629 on: January 15, 2010, 01:53:37 PM

The kittens like to sleep in the bathroom sink. Oscar likes to drink from the faucet, and knows how to turn it on. It's great fun when he turns it to a slow enough drip that the kittens don't wake up until they're completely soaked.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 66 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Cat thread  
Jump to: