Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:43:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: <3 Stratholme 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: <3 Stratholme  (Read 16935 times)
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: February 23, 2009, 12:18:26 PM

No one's forgetting that. It's precisely because it wasn't a release dungeon that it's loot wasn't utter shit.

I'm vaguely remembering that it was the first instance to drop blue MP5 gear? Like, that patch introduced it to the game.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: February 23, 2009, 04:12:38 PM

I'm totally struck by some of the same things, after having done some solo clears of Strat, Scholo, LBRS recently. Strat and Scholo especially: holy FUCK the trash, and that's *after* it was toned down. These were horrible places in that respect. It just shows you that WoW even at its most totally fucking annoying felt to many of us like it was friendly to play after EQ. In retrospect, I don't know why I didn't just quit the game right away after two or three runs of Strat, Scholo and MC with the guild I was in at the time. Hours and hours of shit-staining boredom.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #37 on: February 23, 2009, 05:01:26 PM

I'm totally struck by some of the same things, after having done some solo clears of Strat, Scholo, LBRS recently. Strat and Scholo especially: holy FUCK the trash, and that's *after* it was toned down. These were horrible places in that respect. It just shows you that WoW even at its most totally fucking annoying felt to many of us like it was friendly to play after EQ. In retrospect, I don't know why I didn't just quit the game right away after two or three runs of Strat, Scholo and MC with the guild I was in at the time. Hours and hours of shit-staining boredom.

Scholo and Strat both have the same issue. The amount of trash isn't necessarily overwhelming for the number of bosses in there (although it is certainly high), but the pacing is absolutely terrible. Scholo has almost all the bosses stacked up at the end, after a massive amount of trash. Strat has that problem too, on both sides, but to a lesser extent.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
gryeyes
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: February 24, 2009, 04:18:27 AM

I remember shortly after launch doing scholo with the intended 5 people took 5-6 hours WITH a decently geared organized group. Strath also took forever due to several game stopping bugs that basically was assured to wipe you if you encountered them. Thankfully you could just bring 10-15 people and farm the shit out of them for gear. Took me 20+ times to get the fucking barons 1 handed glowy sword that was the pinnacle of cool at the time.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: February 24, 2009, 06:07:13 AM

Remeber old scholo also had all the end minibosses only have a 5% chance of dropping loot, and it was green set pieces for the most part.

Scholo's pacing and backtracking and such were absurd. And the construct stairwell of Rogue Doom.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #40 on: February 24, 2009, 09:29:32 PM

Scholo was a fucking terrible instance that just happened to have a pretty cool feel to it.

BRD/Scholo/Strat/BRS were fucking awful from a playability perspective since they were gigantic and non-linear-but-linear and exploding with trash but I felt like I was raiding a goddamn necromancy school instead of riding "it's a small azeroth afterall" through a themed corridor whose layout made no sense in regards to what the instance was supposed to be plotwise. Yeah, it's nice that I can beat the last boss, walk 2 feet and leave by the door I entered but if you don't do it right I feel like I just looted a supply closet instead of crashing in and fucking up the fortress of doom.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
gryeyes
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: February 24, 2009, 09:40:50 PM

BRD/strath were fucking awesome. You can avoid vast swathes of either instance after the first time you do it.

Now to do strath/BRF/LBRS fresh with none of the side stuff completed generally took multiple days to accomplish.

What levels layout did not make sense in regards to theme?
squirrel
Contributor

Reply #42 on: February 24, 2009, 10:09:34 PM

Strat was cool but as someone who ran Scholo way too many times I HATE THAT instance. Seriously - Scholo sucks. The trash alone makes it unbearable.

Speaking of marketing, we're out of milk.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #43 on: February 25, 2009, 12:02:59 AM

If I could've just skipped to the part with the mini bosses and Mr. SCHOOL IS IN SESSION, I would've liked Scholo a lot more. I LIKED that final section, but all the shit before it was just so, so, so slow.

God Save the Horn Players
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: <3 Stratholme  
Jump to: