Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:50:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  The f13 Radicalthon  |  Topic: Fallout 3: Wanderer's Edition: Tiracar 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fallout 3: Wanderer's Edition: Tiracar  (Read 9003 times)
trias_e
Terracotta Army

on: February 07, 2009, 09:49:36 AM

So having played Fallout 3 originally about 24 hours before getting bored with my level 19 godly but ultimately boring small arms character, I recently decided to go back to the game.  Vanilla Fallout 3 certainly wasn't what I wanted to play through again, however.  I wanted slower leveling, a revamp of SPECIAL's effect in game, and plenty of balance tweaks.

http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=2761

Oh hai there.

Criticized by some as making the game 'brutally hard', I joyfully downloaded it.  It started off even a little too sadistic for me, however, as I simply couldn't get the fucking thing to work.  10+ soft crashes and a few hard reboots later I figured out that FOSE simply didn't work for me, and that Fallout 3 is way more stable in windowed more with no AA for some reason.  So I won't be able to sprint or go into bullet time.  That makes me very, very sad.  But I'll survive.  I'll likely put the gameplay difficulty on easy to compensate.  Optional mods:  Primary needs is activated, so there likely will be plenty of hilarious times where I forgot to go to sleep and start sucking wind in the middle of a fight or run out of water in the middle of nowhere.  No 'skill based lockpicknig and hacking'.  The original was fine.  The most extreme change will be 'no fast travel'.  This ensures that primary needs actually matters, planning ahead is a certainty, and there is no way in hell I'll come anywhere close to 'completing' the game in one go.  Yes, I'm mildly masochistic. 

I begin with making my character the old-fashioned way.  This mod takes away the initial sequence, and starts you off in various places in the map, with various inventory items, skill and attribute bonuses based on your 'history'.  Some choices include Chinese Officer, Enclave Refuge, and Mechanic.  I chose 'Escaped Slave', which started me off with a nice bonus to strength, an equal disadvantage to intelligence, and nothing worthwhile whatsoever on my person as I start in the middle of nowhere.  Apparently I beat my way to sweet freedom with naught but a tire iron. 

« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 09:51:23 AM by trias_e »
trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 10:14:19 AM

Character Creation:

So, my character is initially very smart but life via slavery forces him to devote most of his time to beating heads in and sneaking about.  Tag skills are essential in this version.  They get the classic +2 per skill point bonus.  So you're pretty much guaranteed to max out these skills fairly quickly.  Everything else is much harder to raise, because you get less skill points per level than in vanilla oblivion.  10+int/2, I believe.  So my character will certainly be a badass when it comes to sledgehammery, the accurate lobbing of small explosives, and backstabbification.  Who knows just how he will develop regarding the other skills.

I begin looking for my Dad.  I suppose I knew of him before I was captured as a slave.  Whatever.  (Apparently some of these 'histories' actually forbid you from doing the main quest at all, but not mine.)

I point in the direction I think I should be going.  Thank god for this intuition I have.  Also known as my 'magic compass'.

After taking about 20 steps southward, I hear shots whizzing by me.  There are no tracers to point the way to my adversaries, so I have to look around. 

My tire-iron itches for bloody mayhem, but my vital organs cry much louder against swiss-cheese-ification.  So I run!  Up a ruined freeway...this should work well, right?

Oops.  Time to jump.

I can feel myself growing extra limbs already.  Radiation is a big fucking deal.  For reals.  Ouch.  Luckily, I was only in the water for a second.

So a few minigun shots to the head and arms later and I can only compare my current state to the most severe PBR+Ancient Age hangover.

Blurry....Dizzy....Wait, what's that ahead!?  I sense...a settlement...of not-red-things-on-my-compass!!

Freeedom!  So close I can tas...

Oops.  Minigun burst to the back of the head.  That'll do the trick.

Time to start over, because this all happened in a grand total of 5 minutes of game time and I might as well.  More sneaking, next time.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 12:30:11 PM by trias_e »
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 11:46:16 AM

Arg, it's not my day.  Are all your pictures screwed or am I ?

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
schild
Administrator

Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009, 11:50:42 AM

Trias put all the pictures in the photo folder instead of a public folder, so he can't hotlink to them. Heh.
trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: February 07, 2009, 12:27:03 PM

Thanks.  I am not smart.  This reminds me of when I was 12 and couldn't figure out why I could see img src=C:\folder\image.jpg in my website but no one else could!

All is well!
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 12:33:17 PM by trias_e »
trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: February 13, 2009, 10:21:57 AM

This game is still unstable as balls on my system.  Crashing once an hour utterly destroys my desire to play it.

Bleh.
trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: February 21, 2009, 05:23:54 PM

My new case, power supply and 4870 are on their way.  Thanks newegg.  When they arrive, hopefully, the wandering can begin.  For real, this time.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  The f13 Radicalthon  |  Topic: Fallout 3: Wanderer's Edition: Tiracar  
Jump to: