Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 02:41:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra  (Read 98087 times)
sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #280 on: August 09, 2009, 09:08:41 AM

Half of them do.

The other half, Rangers.

HAH!
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #281 on: August 09, 2009, 10:08:44 AM

Before I launch into my indepth review of this film, let me clear something up.  I got what I wanted out of this film.  Now onto the review :

GI Joe:  The Rise of Cobra was utter shite.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #282 on: August 09, 2009, 11:18:38 AM

The only thing that could make that  be more of a turd would have been  for Snake Eyes to have said, "let's go" to Duke  upon getting onto that transport.

but the boom boom parts were sufficiently boomy without bing totally Bayesque.

That street in Paris would have been one large gasoline fire in Bay's version
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #283 on: August 10, 2009, 08:21:08 AM

Saw it.  Was definitely better than expected.  I'm trying to figure out how a damned GI Joe movie could reasonably turn out any better, and I'm coming up empty.

Also, I need to go on record as saying that the chick who played Scarlett is extremely yummy.  Baroness is getting all the press, because she is also pant-creamingly hot, but holy shit.  Next move should simply be GI Joe: Baroness and Scarlett Run Around in Cleavage Revealing Tops for 2 Hours.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #284 on: August 10, 2009, 09:38:17 AM

I think Ripcord was probably the most Facepalm element of this film for me. When did the idiot/slapstick comedy buddy comedy thing become a requirement in all action films? Why does someone get into the most elite military unit on the planet because they happen to be friends with someone who's really, really good and why the hell do you then send them straight into front line missions with millions of lives at risk using equipment they apparently don't understand?

Ummmm, did you miss the part where 1) his shooting scores were just under the record for the course (i.e. just worse than Scarlett's) or that he was combat jet rated? The character was more than qualified to be on the team.

Overall, I really dug this flick. It was exactly what I expected - a silly, cartoony action flick with over the top action and SPLOSIONS!!!!

« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 09:41:15 AM by HaemishM »

jason
Terracotta Army

Reply #285 on: August 10, 2009, 10:04:20 AM

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #286 on: August 10, 2009, 10:23:25 AM

Thanks guys.  My rational mind was saying that these were possibilities, but the pre-teen boy in me was very distraught.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #287 on: August 10, 2009, 11:24:08 AM

I got what I wanted out of this film. 

They didn't pitch you out of the theater for wanking to the baroness?  I'm moving to Scotland...

“Why the fuck would you ... ?” is like 80% of the conversation with Poly — Chimpy
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #288 on: August 10, 2009, 02:55:51 PM

The Scottish accents were the worst I've ever, ever heard.

The wife and I were trying to figure out who we thought should have played Destro (you know, with a real fucking accent) but simply couldn't manage it.  Then we got on to the fun game of who could possibly be worse.  Eventually we hit the rock bottom that was Groundskeeper Willie and we STILL thought he'd do a better job than Eccleston.  First fucking Scottish Arms Dealer from the Coal Mine.  Jesus, he was really just paying the fucking mortgage.  Don't even get me started on the arms dealer that puts the MacOS into his fucking jets.  Jesus, that was painfully bad.

Scarlett was yummy (and, actually, I thought wasn't bad at acting either).  Good God 'Duke' was horrendous.  Really, really, really painful to listen to and watch. Dennis Quaid was fucking awful and didn't even bother to try.  Wayans didn't suck at all, a surprise for him.  The 'Suits' were actually ok, though Willing suspense of disbelief was constantly stretched.  "This Ninjas Fast".

It was funny, however, to see The Mummy regulars popping in.

Finally, Blonde Girl getting it.  Awesome.

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #289 on: August 10, 2009, 06:30:36 PM

It was funny, however, to see The Mummy regulars popping in.

First off I actually liked the movie, it was pretty much what I was expecting.

Also as for the cameo's, I'm really surprised they just didn't make Brendan Fraser into Beach-Head.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #290 on: August 10, 2009, 06:41:02 PM

They didn't pitch you out of the theater for wanking to the baroness?  I'm moving to Scotland...

You have clearly not thought thrrough the ramifications of attending a theater in which they don't throw out the wankers.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #291 on: August 10, 2009, 07:01:05 PM

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #292 on: August 10, 2009, 11:43:07 PM

Hey, if Pee-Wee wants to beat off to Baroness pr0n, I support his choice!

“Why the fuck would you ... ?” is like 80% of the conversation with Poly — Chimpy
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #293 on: August 11, 2009, 12:26:40 AM

Hey, if Pee-Wee wants to beat off to Baroness pr0n, I support his choice!

Until he had your seat in the previous showing.  ACK!

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Oban
Terracotta Army

Reply #294 on: August 11, 2009, 06:11:46 AM

I would be more concerned about sitting in the seat in front of Pee Wee.

Palin 2012 : Let's go out with a bang!
Xerapis
Contributor

Reply #295 on: August 11, 2009, 06:27:51 AM

Saw it last Thursday. Have been waiting for the rage to cool.

If I hadn't been a total GI Joe addict growing up, it would be pleasant summertime fun.

But the changes to the backstories and character relationships drove me up the fucking wall.

..I want to see gamma rays. I want to hear x-rays. I want to...smell dark matter...and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me...
jason
Terracotta Army

Reply #296 on: August 11, 2009, 06:54:55 AM

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #297 on: August 11, 2009, 07:17:47 AM

Sorry, Jason, they didn't really leave it as open as you think.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #298 on: August 11, 2009, 08:01:29 AM

Yeah, I gotta say that it only makes sense that SS killed him.  That was the moment when he started down the path of awesome.

I was worried that the whole movie was going to be a bunch of exo-suit stupid from start to finish.  Thankfully, they only used them in one scene, and it even seemed appropriate.  I also like that the bad guys actually did their fair share of kicking ass and killing Joes.

jason
Terracotta Army

Reply #299 on: August 11, 2009, 08:09:55 AM

Sorry, Jason, they didn't really leave it as open as you think.

Support that with evidence from the movie, because from what I saw things went down exactly as I described. They avoided definitively stating anything.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #300 on: August 11, 2009, 08:19:32 AM

While in the comics there was a great deal of ambiguity to the character of Storm Shadow and confusion surrounding the death of the Hard Master, in the film, there clearly wasn't.

Stormshadow in the film was a total fucking nutter.  I don't mean just a killer.  That's easy to define.  I'm talking a complete fucking douchebag.

Everything, from twirling stars to gutting people Jealously (justified in my mind) over the Baronesses extremely fine rack, everything just screamed "I was passed over as a kid and now I'm fucking, fucking, fucking NUTS."

Also, there wasn't any great shakes or confusion over 'the look' given between the two brothers.  It was 'I've just fucking gutted that chap and he totally deserved it because you beat me at racquetball' and not so much "wistful, omg, I must now go down a bad path to catch the killer who'll improbably turn out to be someone who should also be 12 at the time."

Further, he had a whole fucking stupid fight to come clean to Snake-eyes.  Which was when he SHOULD HAVE.  Sure, they may reintroduce this in later movies, but you know what ?  It'd be fucking stupid.  It would totally break the vow of silence when Snake-eyes pipes up "Why didn't you say that before I GUTTED YOU LAST TIME YOU CUNT."

Sorry.  I know you're nerding out.  I did too when they showed us the backstory.  But they fucked it.

AutomaticZen
Terracotta Army

Reply #301 on: August 11, 2009, 08:23:17 AM

While in the comics there was a great deal of ambiguity to the character of Storm Shadow and confusion surrounding the death of the Hard Master, in the film, there clearly wasn't.

Stormshadow in the film was a total fucking nutter.  I don't mean just a killer.  That's easy to define.  I'm talking a complete fucking douchebag.

Everything, from twirling stars to gutting people Jealously (justified in my mind) over the Baronesses extremely fine rack, everything just screamed "I was passed over as a kid and now I'm fucking, fucking, fucking NUTS."

Also, there wasn't any great shakes or confusion over 'the look' given between the two brothers.  It was 'I've just fucking gutted that chap and he totally deserved it because you beat me at racquetball' and not so much "wistful, omg, I must now go down a bad path to catch the killer who'll improbably turn out to be someone who should also be 12 at the time."

Further, he had a whole fucking stupid fight to come clean to Snake-eyes.  Which was when he SHOULD HAVE.  Sure, they may reintroduce this in later movies, but you know what ?  It'd be fucking stupid.  It would totally break the vow of silence when Snake-eyes pipes up "Why didn't you say that before I GUTTED YOU LAST TIME YOU CUNT."

Sorry.  I know you're nerding out.  I did too when they showed us the backstory.  But they fucked it.

Indeed.  This is not the Storm Shadow that could possibly join the Joes.  Though I like that Storm Shadow, this Storm Shadow is a killer.  With style, and without remorse.
jason
Terracotta Army

Reply #302 on: August 11, 2009, 10:20:45 AM

It is left open despite you not wanting it to be.  If they didn't want it to be open then he would have just said, "You took your vow of silence after I killed the Hard Master."  They made the whole thing ambiguous on purpose so that if they want to go down the "He didn't really kill the Hard Master" router they can.  If they'd wanted it to be clear they'd have just showed him stab the guy or had him admit to it.

I'm not nerding out... I'm just stating what is actually in the movie, not things people choose to infer because they want them to be a certain way.  In the movie, it is not definitive who killed the Hard Master, so lame script/plot or not, in a sequel they can go either way.

Never underestimate the stupidity and lameness of Hollywood when blockbuster box office receipts are on the line.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #303 on: August 11, 2009, 10:38:44 AM

Also as for the cameo's, I'm really surprised they just didn't make Brendan Fraser into Beach-Head.

I may be hallucinating but I could swear someone called him Sgt Slaughter.

Also, Xerapis, I liked GI Joe too and still have some old comic books in a box. But really? Nerd rage? Over changing the backstories of plastic toys? Really?

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #304 on: August 11, 2009, 11:57:15 AM

It is left open despite you not wanting it to be. 

You didn't listen to a word I said.

Ohhhhh, I see.

Oban
Terracotta Army

Reply #305 on: August 11, 2009, 12:36:57 PM

Clearly reading comprehension is the other half of the battle.

Palin 2012 : Let's go out with a bang!
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #306 on: August 11, 2009, 02:51:24 PM

I can only assume what you wanted was to encourage studios to give the greenlight to more explosion filled trash with a tie-in toy line and '80s nostalgia.  Thanks for that.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #307 on: August 11, 2009, 02:58:06 PM

I can only assume what you wanted was to encourage studios to give the greenlight to more explosion filled trash with a tie-in toy line and '80s nostalgia.  Thanks for that.

You forgot the really smoking hot chicks.  Please pay more attention next time.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #308 on: August 11, 2009, 04:36:42 PM

Read More Thread.

Xerapis
Contributor

Reply #309 on: August 11, 2009, 10:52:04 PM

Also, Xerapis, I liked GI Joe too and still have some old comic books in a box. But really? Nerd rage? Over changing the backstories of plastic toys? Really?

Yes, really.

Not so much just changing, but changing for the worse, and for no good reason. Why try to make everyone in the film related somehow? It's not necessary. The change to Storm Shadow diminishes his character depth. Why even create that absurd backstory for Cobra Commander?

This is my nerd rage. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

..I want to see gamma rays. I want to hear x-rays. I want to...smell dark matter...and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me...
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #310 on: August 11, 2009, 11:47:18 PM

Yes, really.

Not so much just changing, but changing for the worse, and for no good reason. Why try to make everyone in the film related somehow? It's not necessary. The change to Storm Shadow diminishes his character depth. Why even create that absurd backstory for Cobra Commander?

Umm yes... because the whole Cobra-La background for Cobra Commander is so much better than the one in the movie.   why so serious?
Ookii
Staff Emeritus

is actually Trippy

Reply #311 on: August 11, 2009, 11:53:23 PM

So why was the US President British?

Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #312 on: August 12, 2009, 12:25:39 AM

I thought of a good parallel to GI Joe nerdrage: Super Mario Brothers. There was the live action movie, which was dark and gritty and grounded in reality...and then there was the cartoon where bushes danced and the sun wore sunglasses, and Yoshi was big and fat and giggled a lot while he ate berries. I'm guessing the rage over this weird alternate GI Joe is similar to rage over trying to make SeriousBusiness out of Mario jumping on shit.

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
Xerapis
Contributor

Reply #313 on: August 12, 2009, 02:33:02 AM

Umm yes... because the whole Cobra-La background for Cobra Commander is so much better than the one in the movie.   why so serious?

We do not acknowledge the existence of the animated GI Joe movie.

AutomaticZen
Terracotta Army

Reply #314 on: August 12, 2009, 06:02:05 PM

Yes, really.

There's a certain amount of mental gymnastics needed for most fandom.  They probably just ignore the things they don't like.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra  
Jump to: