Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 05:35:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Man v. Food 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Man v. Food  (Read 5416 times)
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

on: January 25, 2009, 04:34:05 PM

It's a guilty pleasure of mine on the Travel Channel. Crazy dude goes all around the country trying out various eating contests in different cities, while also showcasing some restaurants ala "Diners, Dive-ins, and Dives." It's a pretty funny show, and the host is very tongue in cheek about the whole process. You can also live vicariously through an eating contest without doing it yourself.

Anybody else seen it?

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 11:49:42 AM

Well I take that as a no, so let me say that you should check it out. The latest episode I watched was in Austin where he went to the Salt Lick for BBQ, and then to "Juan in a Million" to try to eat a record 8 breakfast burritos. That sounds easy until you find out that each taco contains a whole potato, 2 eggs, some bacon and topped off with cheese. He got through 4.5, which is probably 6-7 pounds of food.

I could probably eat 1.5-2 max, but I've never seen them live. Anybody in Austin tried them?

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 12:09:58 PM

I have watched a few episodes of this, so you're not alone.  I think I saw the one where he had an eating contest in Boston where they had like 12 lbs of food (Burger and fries) and one where he ate some ridiculously hot wings.  Overall, the guy is entertaining.  I just can't get past the amount of food the guy can pack away.  It's sick. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 12:11:45 PM

Yeah, I watch this from time to time.  I saw him eat one of those 7 lb steaks, potato, salad, and bread in like 20 minutes.  The dude is a beast. 

schild
Administrator

Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 06:44:25 PM

Well I take that as a no, so let me say that you should check it out. The latest episode I watched was in Austin where he went to the Salt Lick for BBQ, and then to "Juan in a Million" to try to eat a record 8 breakfast burritos. That sounds easy until you find out that each taco contains a whole potato, 2 eggs, some bacon and topped off with cheese. He got through 4.5, which is probably 6-7 pounds of food.

I could probably eat 1.5-2 max, but I've never seen them live. Anybody in Austin tried them?

Salt Lick is pretty great. I can go to Juan in a Million this week and try them if you want. That sounds like a full days worth of food for me these days though (which today was a regular turkey sandwich, 2 childrens sized bags of chips and a bagel with nothing on it - as in, like all day).

Edit: Oh, it's Caesar Chavez and first, I'll go there instead of the hot dog place next time I'm down there. Which will be after I get some cash moneyz >_> So it may be a while.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #5 on: January 30, 2009, 11:57:15 PM

Yes Schild, I've love a real person view of this Juan in a Million place. You don't get the full picture until someone actual steps into the line of fire and tests it out. If there's anything in Atlanta yall would like to know about, please feel free.

LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: February 07, 2009, 08:24:00 PM

I'm watching this now. it kinda makes me wish I was 7' tall so I could down the giant dishes that they are making on the show.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
schild
Administrator

Reply #7 on: February 08, 2009, 08:00:54 AM

Mekong River is one of my favorite cheap restaurants in the city.
Shop 24, the 24 hour shop next to it, is a place where you can buy tea that has both ephedrine and caffeine in it. That shit will keep you going at night. Or whenever.
schild
Administrator

Reply #8 on: February 08, 2009, 08:12:42 AM

Salt Lick is pretty epic here as far as popularity goes, but it's worth pointing out that the beef in Texas is part of it. I never even liked hamburgers before coming here and I simply can't get enough of the local places. Seriously, the meat in this city is just goddamn succulent.
schild
Administrator

Reply #9 on: February 08, 2009, 08:43:20 AM

I watched the Portland episode also. Voodoo Donuts again! Heh.

However, a habanero fritter sounds fucking amazing. As does that man omelet thing from the beginning of the episode.
AngryGumball
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: February 08, 2009, 12:10:53 PM

half the challenges I'm totally down to try with confidence.

That 8 pound hamburger though, that bun was simply to big.

The 6 fiery inferno hot wings, that was amazingly easy....not that it wasn't hard. Seems like its more can you survive the after with all that fire in your mouth no matter how much milk you drink. Totally seemed like he was drooling and rubbing that fiery sauce on his face unnecessarily such that it was almost like he rubbed into it his eyes.

The Dagwood sandwich I would kill to attempt that looked good.

That Huge steak in Texas, I dunno it seems so big that it won't have a uniform flavor. However I would enjoy trying.
schild
Administrator

Reply #11 on: February 08, 2009, 12:20:27 PM

Inferno Wings / Spicy things, if milk is anywhere near it OR ANY dairy - is cheating.

But yea, I'd be willing to try nearly all of them. I'm tempted to even give the taco challenge a go. Mostly because you only live once, and I can devour some fucking potatoes and eggs without even trying. Just tear through them. I'd ask them to overcook the potatoes though.
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: February 08, 2009, 10:02:55 PM

When I go to Seattle for PAX, I'm trying the Omelet.

I'll stop in Portland on the way to try the other stuff. I'm NOT a fan of spicy stuff. Like, I'll have a good spicy soup, but I would DIE trying a habanero.

You know what, fuck it. Any place I'm going at all ever, I'm looking up this Man v. Food shit and hitting those places up. Talk about good advertising for small businesses.

I mean, if I'm going to cheat on my diet or reward myself with food, I'm going to go where the best fucking shit is.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 10:08:27 PM by Lorekeep »

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: February 15, 2009, 06:41:50 AM

I have watched a few episodes of this, so you're not alone.  I think I saw the one where he had an eating contest in Boston where they had like 12 lbs of food (Burger and fries)...

The American Eagle Deli.  It's about a mile and a half down Beacon St. from me.  I know a girl who went on a couple of dates with the owner but I haven't eaten there yet.  Boston College is around the corner from it and it's a big student hangout.  Maybe I'll go check it out sometime this week.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
WayAbvPar

Reply #14 on: February 19, 2009, 02:24:52 PM

The Portland episode keeps eluding me, but I have seen everything up to the LA ep this week (gotta find it some time over the weekend or On Demand it). I have been to all 3 of the places showcased in the Seattle episode, and they are all pretty decent. Red Mill Burgers are freakin' awesome, The Crab Pot is a fun group dining experience (there is also one in Bellevue, but I have visited both), and Beth's is a nasty dive-y hole in the wall that must be experienced.

I have done a few 6 egg omelets from Beth's, but never had the gumption for the 12 egger. Mostly because deep down I am not the big of an egg fan, and am all about the toppings/fillings in omelets. The egg to filling/topping ratio is all screwed up on the 12 eggers. If they were made to my specs, it would take 3 people to finish one! Also- the hashbrowns are awesome (especially if you get them well done/extra crispy), and the coffee is diner-level awful. Great place to stop in after a night of hard drinking to gorge and create amusing art with the crayons.

I can't believe Adam didn't cram down the last 2 bites of that omelet. To go that far and have to pay the price for being that sickeningly full and not finish had to be galling. A friend of mine actually finished a 12 egg meal one night after drinking with some other buddies of mine (I was not present). The next day I stopped by one of the other friends' apartment and saw what was left of the meal in the grass next to the door. He kept it down for 20 minutes or so after they left, but it revisited after a short car ride. I am pretty sure he could have kept it down if he wasn't drunk- this guy was 6'5" and a collegiate crew letter man at the time, so he burned a SHITLOAD of calories every day.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #15 on: March 25, 2009, 07:07:46 PM

New episode today from Minneapolis, where Adam takes on a 3 pound meter-long brat and two sides (one is a large heap of red cabbage, the other is some kind of croquet). From the outset, I said he could pull it off no problem, given that we watched the man down a 6 pound steak. I'm actually kind of shocked that only 1/7 people who attempted it succeeded.

Of course, he crushes it in 27 minutes. Frankly, I thought it was too easy.

schild
Administrator

Reply #16 on: March 25, 2009, 08:22:27 PM

a 3 pound brat would take me about 15 minutes, on a bad day. I wouldn't have gotten cabbage though, would've gone with kraut.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #17 on: March 25, 2009, 08:33:28 PM

a 3 pound brat would take me about 15 minutes, on a bad day. I wouldn't have gotten cabbage though, would've gone with kraut.

He was done with the brat in about 12 minutes it looked like, then he fucked around with the sides (the croquets were potato, there were four them the size of regular brats and covered in sauce). The sides were the real problem.

schild
Administrator

Reply #18 on: March 25, 2009, 08:52:06 PM

He made a mistake of ordering such a dense side, kraut and the cabbage would have been easier, and probably tastier in the long run. Potato would just make you shit your pants if you were any smaller than that dude.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #19 on: March 26, 2009, 06:31:35 AM

He made a mistake of ordering such a dense side, kraut and the cabbage would have been easier, and probably tastier in the long run. Potato would just make you shit your pants if you were any smaller than that dude.

I'm not sure you get a choice. I could be wrong on that.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #20 on: July 28, 2009, 11:36:37 PM

Show is coming back for a new season. August 5th @ 10 EST he's going to San Antonio to do the Four Horseman Challenge. Apparently it's a "Hot Challenge" which means he'll smoke it.

Having lived in Texas the majority of my life, I've never actually heard of this challenge. Probably because San Antonio is known as the most touristy city in Texas, and the worst pollution problem in the state. When you have Houston in your state, that's a big win.

LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: July 29, 2009, 12:01:08 PM

I'm passing through Texas on the way to FL and will be spending a day or two in the area. Will try to hit up some of the places mentioned here.

Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: July 31, 2009, 10:10:39 PM

This fucker is going to die. I saw the five pound burger thing on Conan tonight.

F  is inviting you to start Quarto. Do you want to Accept (Alt+C) or Decline (Alt+D) the invitation?

You have accepted the invitation to start Quarto.

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
where we pour milk on the stomach alien from total recall
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Man v. Food  
Jump to: