Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 10:11:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: 24 (Season 7) 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 24 (Season 7)  (Read 38499 times)
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

on: January 12, 2009, 06:22:48 PM

Its back- I just got done watching the first two hours.  Happy so far...

« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 01:34:47 AM by Trippy »

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 07:30:35 PM

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 07:41:17 PM

Can't we ever be nice to one another?  Ohhhhh, I see.

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 07:51:09 PM

Yeah, this will never be as good as the first time around, but it is more than adequate popcorn.

And this was the best first episode barring the first first episode.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 07:53:43 PM

This is a series where in the first season, you had Kim stuck in a bear trap being threatened by a mountain lion and Jack's wife the victim of that most hoary of clichés: the bump on the head = total amnesia.  It's hard to jump the shark when the show was completely ridiculous from the get-go.

Over and out.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: January 12, 2009, 08:02:14 PM

Don't care, people shoot each other and shit gets blowed up.

Oh, and they don't keep pausing the storyline for an episode about a fucking boxing contest or something equally retarded.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: January 12, 2009, 08:26:07 PM

You misunderstand.  I'm saying it's silly to say the series is even capable of jumping a shark.  It is what it is, and has been from the beginning.  It's a modern serial pulp series; a comic book without the super powers.

Over and out.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: January 12, 2009, 08:36:35 PM

It has jumped the shark by being repetitive. It was always stupid, but at least find new and interesting ways to be stupid. They keep doing the same thing over, and over, and over. Tiresome.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #8 on: January 12, 2009, 09:12:24 PM

They keep doing the same thing over, and over, and over.

How is that incompatible with a neocon fantasy?  Rimshot

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #9 on: January 12, 2009, 11:49:02 PM

How long was it before he tortured someone?

-Rasix
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #10 on: January 13, 2009, 01:31:32 AM

About 15 minutes awesome, for real
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: January 13, 2009, 01:40:56 AM

I believe that bear trap / cougar shit was season 2.

Season 1 was the one where Kim and her friend got kidnapped, escaped, kidnapped, forced to do drugs, escaped, run over, escaped, captured again, etc etc etc.

The show has always been the equivalent of a bear, riding on a shark, riding on a unicycle.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #12 on: January 13, 2009, 06:09:26 AM

About 15 minutes awesome, for real

Threat of Torture.

I'm watching it simply because it's in DC.  Also, I wonder if I can go get an autograph.

Or tortured by Jack Bauer.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #13 on: January 13, 2009, 07:21:48 AM

I'm watching it simply because it's in DC.  Also, I wonder if I can go get an autograph.

Well, if you've watched it, the latter has already happened.

MrHat
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: January 13, 2009, 07:42:53 AM

Well, if you've watched it, the latter has already happened.
Ohhhhh, I see.
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #15 on: January 16, 2009, 10:46:51 AM

The wife and I skipped last season. We like this one so far. We also don't disagree that it was downhill after season 1, but the rest of TV is so bad that even downhill a lot is better than many alternatives. I was stunned when they killed his wife in season 1 and hoped his daughter would be next half way through season 2.

I have never played WoW.
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: January 16, 2009, 11:02:41 AM

Boo on the haters.  Jack Bauer is the MacGuyver of torture.  If you give him a rubber band, a penny, and three pieces of pocket lint, he'll craft it into a machine that shocks your genitals.   

MrHat
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: January 16, 2009, 12:13:22 PM

Boo on the haters.  Jack Bauer is the MacGuyver of torture.  If you give him a rubber band, a penny, and three pieces of pocket lint, he'll craft it into a machine that shocks your genitals.   

I am now viewing the show in a whole new light.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: January 16, 2009, 04:03:57 PM

Considering his results, he's more like MacGruber.

-H.L. Mencken
ahoythematey
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: January 18, 2009, 10:59:10 AM

Somehow I still love 24, in spite of the shows efforts to make me not like it.  I guess it's because I go into it each hour expecting a live-action comic book, that way those pesky things like realism and plausibility don't seem as bothersome.  Sometimes I do wonder if the show is limited too much by being on Fox instead of FX.

I will say, though, that just because you bring in an actor from Die Hard 2 does not mean you also have to bring in part of that story.
Nerf
Terracotta Army

The Presence of Your Vehicle Has Been Documented

Reply #20 on: January 26, 2009, 08:55:10 PM

Why the fuck would the President be sacrificing American lives for some shithole in Africa?  The whole "We don't negotiate with terrorists" thing should only be used when it's in your benefit to not negotiate, not when they can get planes to fly into whatever they want.

The FBI chick being all shocked that there were leaks in the FBI was pretty funny too, I thought agents would be smarter than that.

Lastly, Jenine Gerrafalo is fucking horrid.  Yes, I know I probably spelled her name wrong, she's not worth googling.
ahoythematey
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: January 27, 2009, 12:08:51 AM

I'm fine with the whole DO NOT NEGOTIATE thing, even if it was for some punk kids lunch money.  What I find unbelievable is how some of the white house staff starts losing their shit over the plane incident when, while that was a terrible thing, is nothing compared to the amount of damage and casualties sustained in the sixth season, where a .

I concur with the Jeanine Gerafalo hate, she really detracts from the show.  I suppose she at least looks the part of the job she has compared to a lot of other characters, but that isn't really complimentary at all.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #22 on: January 27, 2009, 08:29:17 AM

Fuck that. I'd sacrifice American lives for a shithole in Africa just to show the world that my country WILL NOT BE PUNKED by some shitheel dictator with delusions of adequacy. Then, I'd make sure I found said shitheel dictator and had a specwar bullet air out his melon in due fucking course.

You surprise me, Nerf. I figured a shoot-first-ask-questions-never guy like yourself would be all over that shit.  why so serious?

That said, now I'm gonna have to watch season six...

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Nerf
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: January 27, 2009, 08:43:01 AM

I didn't say she should stop hunting the bastard down, but when the options are 1) pull carrier fleet back and American lives are saved or 2) leave carrier fleet in place and Americans start to die, the choice is pretty fucking simple.  It's not even a troop withdrawal, the troops aren't there yet.  Now, if he started to threaten for other things, fuck em, we don't negotiate with terrorists.  Maybe it's because it's Africa, and she really thinks that if whats-his-name regains control then it will be a nice country and the constant struggle for control from various "freedom fighting" groups will stop.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #24 on: January 27, 2009, 09:06:12 AM

Nah, it's not even that, it's the principle of it all. Those marines sitting on those ships waiting to be deployed are the only thing keeping Dubaku's boss from going all Janjiweed on the local populace. This ain't about moral equivalency. People are gonna die either way. And us letting this dipshit punk us into letting him kill his own people is a no-win fucking situation, 'cause, what's to stop him from pulling shit like that again when he decides to invade the country next door?

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Nerf
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: January 27, 2009, 09:15:23 AM

I didn't say leave him alone, but pull out the highly visible carriers sitting off shore so he stops killing Americans for the time being.  Find him and kill him, and put some special forces on the ground and dug in, ready to repel the invasion.  Remember Somolia?  10,000 Africans vs. 100 rangers and we held our ground, and they were the entrenched force.  Africans aren't very good at this whole war thing when they are recruiting anyone who can hold a rifle and the training is "pointy ends of bullet go that way --->"
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: January 27, 2009, 09:25:53 PM

I'm really liking this season so far, except for Jeanine Garofalo, aka the Worst Actor in 24 History.  Monday's was great, but I think we're fast approaching the part of the system where everyone starts invoking the 25th and the Secretary of Agriculture ends up being President. 

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #27 on: January 28, 2009, 08:14:14 AM

100 rangers vs 10,000 conscripts is great when those 100 rangers don't have to defend an entire populace. It's all about the logistics. I'm game for defending the innocent of both countries, but any way you slice it, somebody's gonna die. And you can rest assured that if we give in to Dubaku's demands, that's license for every Tom, Dick and Habeeb to try to put our populace in harm's way anytime they want to pull a jack move.

Sunbury
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: January 28, 2009, 11:41:30 AM

This is my first season of watching 24...

Why do they make the White House scenes so boring and repetitive?

Madam Pres - have the military pull back or citizens will die.

No.

Repeat x 100.

It would be more fun to have some Military guy call for nuke strikes on the bad guy's home tribe land or something, and have them argue about that.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #29 on: January 29, 2009, 06:08:43 PM

You're meant to hate this president. The show is conceived by a nutty right-winger and this is his version of Hillary Clinton. The reason her decision-making rationale is so weak, is that's how he wants you to believe a liberal-minded president operates. The reason torture produces the best results is that he wants you to believe that, because what happened under Bush was just fine with him.

However, as he's a nutty right-winger and completely lacking in artistic ability or any grip on reality, the president ends up being annoying and the torture just becomes entertaining, and the whole thing becomes an enjoyable cartoon-like fantasy. This show is fun by accident.
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: January 29, 2009, 06:36:31 PM

(A) Joel Surnow left,
(B) This President is a Republican (Palmer was a Democrat and Daniels was his VP, remember?), and  therefore
(C) You Fail. 

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #31 on: January 29, 2009, 11:24:05 PM

a) Joel Surnow is still executive producer.
b) She may be a republican but she's still got a Hillaryesque feel to her.
c) Nice try.

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #32 on: January 29, 2009, 11:45:38 PM

a) is for 'orses
b) for lamb
c) for miles
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #33 on: January 30, 2009, 01:20:36 AM

d) Duh
e) i-e-i-o

raydeen
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: February 01, 2009, 07:58:38 AM

I loves me some 24 but here's my problem: Why would you ever, from a rational, technical, security minded standpoint, ever develop a system that could be locked down and controlled by one box? Was that explained in the premier? I must admit I get all giddy for the violence that details escape me.

I was drinking when I wrote this, so sue me if it goes astray.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: 24 (Season 7)  
Jump to: