Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 03:27:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Batman: The Brave and the Bold 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Batman: The Brave and the Bold  (Read 4159 times)
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

on: January 09, 2009, 07:08:12 AM

Surprisingly fun new animated series that features Batman in a variety of team-ups with other DC characters. Back many moons ago when I was a surly teenage reader of Neal-Adamish Batman who was always pissed off about the campiness of the Adam West series ("Batman is dark, I tell you, DARK!") I would never have thought I'd find myself saying tihs, but...this cartoon invokes the silliness of the West series in a really clever but also contemporary way. A really good show to watch with your kids.

In one recent episode, for example, you'll see Plastic Man ask Batman, "Are you seeing what I'm seeing? Because I'm seeing gorillas riding pterodactyls, with harpoon guns, stealing a boat." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjW6_yNJzUg
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 08:12:18 AM

The best part, for me, is that Deidrich Bader voices Batman.  He's always had that kind of cartoony action hero thing going for him, ever since I first saw him as "The Searcher" on Danger Theater back in 1993.

This is well-done modern camp. No breaking of the 4th wall, but it's fun and funny if you loved the old 60's Batman as a kid.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 08:14:24 AM

This is well-done modern camp. No breaking of the 4th wall, but it's fun and funny if you loved the old 60's Batman as a kid.

Yes. I didn't think I'd like a campy take on Batman after the Bruce Timm series as well, but I do like this show. Part of it is seeing other DC characters represented well. The only episode I haven't liked was the one with Aquaman. I thought they totally boofooed his character. But the Blue Beetle and Plastic Man shows were top-notch.

Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 03:28:20 AM

I've been meaning to start a thread about this show.  Agree with every comment so far.  Light-hearted fun that doesn't pass the boundary into conscious self-parody. 

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Brogarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 06:30:27 AM

That was actually pretty good. Thanks for posting it.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: May 30, 2009, 07:55:57 PM

The Bat-Mite episode from this weekend was...awesomesauce. So awesomesauce that the WORD awesomesauce was used in the episode itself, perfectly.
Jain Zar
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: June 01, 2009, 12:39:09 PM

This show is just brilliant.  The only person I know who didn't like it I told to go play in traffic till a car hit him. 
I wasn't actually joking.  Much.

My only complaint is they used the old stupid Huntress outfit instead of her No Mans Land one.  (The Jim Lee outfit is too strippery, and the revised version merely looks odd.  And gives artists an excuse to just go back to the Jim Lee version of it.)

Its because of this show that I now have every current Blue Beetle trade that I know of. 

Now if we can just find a way to cross over with Kim Possible so Ron and Jaime can hang out together and be awesome.  For some reason they would get along pretty well I think.  DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS
Oban
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: June 02, 2009, 05:15:36 AM

My six year old daughter likes this show.

Palin 2012 : Let's go out with a bang!
schild
Administrator

Reply #8 on: June 03, 2009, 10:57:03 PM

My six year old daughter likes this show.
Jain Zar sounds pretty smart for a six year old girl.

Lemme guess, Advanced English? No way you're homeschooling.
Oban
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: June 04, 2009, 08:11:25 AM

Well, she liked Kim Possible for awhile too.

Palin 2012 : Let's go out with a bang!
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: October 27, 2009, 07:33:47 AM

The Music Meister episode which aired in the US this past week was  awesome, for real.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgVc2uEY6E0
Brogarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: October 27, 2009, 09:30:23 AM

The Music Meister episode which aired in the US this past week was  awesome, for real.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgVc2uEY6E0

Oh. Wow. I don't even know where to go with that one.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: October 27, 2009, 06:10:38 PM

The first number is a serious earworm. Been hearing it all day in my head.
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: October 28, 2009, 05:55:59 AM

They've released the soundtrack for it. I loved the episode.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #14 on: October 28, 2009, 11:17:31 PM

Augh!  I watched the first half before work this morning and the second half was deleted from the youtubes before I got home.

That was awesomely over the top.  I'll have to locate the rest of the episode sometime.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Batman: The Brave and the Bold  
Jump to: