Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:51:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: The Prisoner (remake) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Prisoner (remake)  (Read 19430 times)
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #35 on: July 29, 2009, 05:39:07 PM

agreed.  Seems like an interesting story based on but not copying The Prisoner.
Soln
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: October 01, 2009, 11:11:40 AM

NOV 15!! 

AMC will premiere its ambitious six-part miniseries "The Prisoner" on Sunday, November 15.

The cable network's reinterpretation of the 1967-68 British cult classic stars Jim Caviezel and Ian McKellen. It will air two episodes each night over three consecutive nights.

The original "Prisoner," created by and starring Patrick McGoohan, was a psychological drama centering on a secret agent. All 17 episodes of that series can be viewed on AMC's Web site.
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: October 01, 2009, 11:58:47 AM

Wooo! I still have 2 or 3 episodes of the original to catch up on. Looking forward to this.

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: October 02, 2009, 11:02:35 AM

So its a three part miniseries?

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Hayduke
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: October 02, 2009, 06:08:40 PM

I'd like to see Jack Bauer be on the other side of torture and extraordinary rendition, but since he can only operate at two speeds (earnest or menacing) it wouldn't work.

Don't really get the Lost or X-Files comparisons.  Much of the show was the acerbic wit of Six, which simply doesn't exist in either.  If you're going to draw parallels based on the woo woo shit I think the Twilight Zone is more influential.
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #40 on: October 03, 2009, 05:22:28 AM

The preview is encouraging.  Still time for me to finish watching the original show before this airs...
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #41 on: November 15, 2009, 07:10:48 PM

Who doesn't fancy a good wrap?

"Me am play gods"
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: November 15, 2009, 08:59:52 PM

Well it was sufficiently weird and surreal, but I didn't get that feeling of alienation like the original. With everybody else just as scared as him, it feels like they're all in this together.

Big Rover was cool though.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
raydeen
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: November 15, 2009, 09:11:49 PM

That was the most disjointed hamfisted thing I've ever seen. I have a theory of what it's all about but I'll be damned if I'm going to stick around to see if I'm right.

I was drinking when I wrote this, so sue me if it goes astray.
Soln
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: November 17, 2009, 02:41:38 PM

Was Ok.  Good production value and acting.  Script was Ok.

Problem is the thesis -- why is 6 in the Village?  He never asks, or doesn't ask enough. 

And similarly, no one seems to care that he's there, just that he's always been there.  Maybe that's the point.

If so, 2 should be more clear on why they want 6 there.

It's good, but without a sense of motive like you had in the original you lose a lot of the sinister overtones, and thus less drama.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #45 on: November 18, 2009, 08:56:09 AM

Well, I am at least glad that they did a complete, self contained ending.  So the Prisoner is like a modern myth.  Each telling of the myth is it's own thing rather than continue the previous versions.  This version doesn't presume to know what happened to the first Six.  Of course, this causes confusion because reference points of first telling don't necessarily map to the second.  I hope the future tellings continue this tradition. 

I look forward to puzzle over the next Six's attempt to leave the next Village.

"Me am play gods"
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: November 18, 2009, 05:59:54 PM

Just finished it.  Some great ideas but I wasn't overwhelmed by it.  I'm a HUGE fan of the original series so maybe this has made me overly-critical of the new one.  I don't like how they revealed their major secrets for instance. 

Maybe if I chew it over I'll find that I really liked it but right now...meh.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: The Prisoner (remake)  
Jump to: