Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 09:49:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: Next major patch announced: Apocrypha 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Next major patch announced: Apocrypha  (Read 86972 times)
FatuousTwat
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: January 10, 2009, 07:05:12 PM

Missions do happen in deadspace. But I thought you could probe people out in deadspace? So it's more your personal grid in the solar system, I'd figure.

I think if you're scan someone out in deadspace the warpin dumps you out on the acceleration gate.

Which you can then use and go kill them.

The acceleration gate is the entrance to an instance, you are just scanning their instance down.

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #36 on: January 10, 2009, 07:50:36 PM

Except it's not an instance, it's not a separate piece of topology running on a different piece of hardware, it's a defined volume of the system that can only be entered from a particular point in a particular way.  People who enter at different times are all going to the same place, and within the boundaries of the respawn settings finding the scene as the last occupants left it.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
FatuousTwat
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: January 10, 2009, 09:19:13 PM

Except it's not an instance, it's not a separate piece of topology running on a different piece of hardware, it's a defined volume of the system that can only be entered from a particular point in a particular way.  People who enter at different times are all going to the same place, and within the boundaries of the respawn settings finding the scene as the last occupants left it.

--Dave

Ok, then I had it all wrong, sorry.

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #38 on: January 11, 2009, 05:53:13 AM

There are also some encounter-type missions where you warp directly to the stuff you're fighting, and don't have to dick with deadspace gates. If you're scanned down in one of those, you'll get a swarm of hostiles dropped right on top of you.
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: January 27, 2009, 02:13:57 AM

I have to say this patch is shaping up to be pretty awesome. Dev blog here

I wonder did CCP read my assembly hall thread?

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: January 27, 2009, 02:32:49 AM

Dev blog update: http://myeve.eve-online.com/devblog.asp?a=blog&bid=616

Quote from: CCP Whisper
We are going to give you uncharted, unknown places to visit via paths that shift and slide through the fabric of space. We are going to give you thousands of new solar systems which will contain new NPC's, new exploration content and new pockets of resources to exploit.

Wormholes will bring us to this new frontier, appearing all over New Eden as a result of a cataclysmic event, the nature of which we'll reveal in the coming months. These wormholes are unstable and will spawn and vanish randomly throughout the known universe. A pilot who stumbles across one of these stellar phenomena can fly through it and travel to unknown space, where there are no stargates or stations, just the unexplored void of a new solar system. And when I say "new solar system" that is exactly what I mean. It will not be moving you to instanced space but rather to one of the thousands of new solar systems we will be adding to the EVE universe.

The wormholes themselves will be open only for a randomly determined amount of time and can only let through a certain amount of mass before they collapse. Pilots should carefully consider the information their ship's computer gives them about a wormhole before committing to travel through it. Although there will always be a way back to known space from wormhole space, you may have to search long and hard to locate it.

We are in the process of revamping the entire scanner mechanic, making it faster and easier to use. A shortlist of the new scanner features is:

-You will be able to drop more than one probe in a grid
-Probe scan ranges can be adjusted via a drag and drop interface in the 3D map, removing the need for multiple probe types
-Probes can be repositioned in the solar system map using a drag and drop interface and will warp to their specified positions
-Scanning will now use triangulation to refine and improve accuracy of scan results
-You can recall probes for re-use at a later point and time
-The transition from ship view to 3D Solar System view to Universe Map view has been made near instant, allowing for quick switching between them

There will be two new probe types, exploration and combat. There is also the chance that you could stumble across a route through wormhole space that links two widely separated areas of known space and gives you a lucrative, fast trade route for as long as the wormholes stay open. Wormholes will shift all the time. Wormhole space will not be able to be claimed as sovereign space.

The galaxy is going to expand about half the size it is now or maybe even more. I was looking forward to selling them to explorers who would be stuck in wormhole space for 1000x the price though. More so to how existing exploration sites will start turning out. No more trying to find that deadspace pocket for 2 hours?

It does sound like a big wildcard is being introduced. Imagine a straight shortcut to Jita, or to the deep end for hostile space, but not knowing where it might pop-up. Even in larger tactical or economical scales the bookmarks to these wormholes could mean huge advantages, but how big will rely on how many ships would be able to pass through.

They have already acknowledged the issues with capitals being able to get into high-sec.
Predator Irl
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: January 27, 2009, 02:46:08 AM

Holy crap, hats off to you Amarr! We have a visionary amongst us.

I really do like the sounds of this next patch. Two parts that particularly interest me are:

- "we added 46% more solar systems to EVE" sounds very interesting

and

-  "While it is theoretically possible to move a control tower into wormhole space, set it up and maintain it, the logistical challenge and risks of fueling and defending a tower in a system with no permanent links to known space would be considerable. But then again the potential rewards are equally great."

Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one!
Pax
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: January 27, 2009, 03:41:49 AM

Amarr, please suggest a tier 2 BC-based dedicated science vessel, tia. *envisions a Harbinger in Viziam colours*  awesome, for real

Mia san de Borg. Aichan Widastaund keannt's aich ind' Hoar schmian.
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: January 27, 2009, 04:14:47 AM

It's actually a good idea Pax I'll suggest it but don't expect anything to happen for at least seven months  DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS

Anyhow yeh this patch looks good 46% more systems I just hope they make the content interesting.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
Predator Irl
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: January 27, 2009, 04:19:34 AM

Are you still playing amarr? I haven't seen you online in a while.

lac
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: January 27, 2009, 04:31:01 AM

Update your friendlist with 'CCP Amarr HM'  awesome, for real

Don't they have a rewards program for suggestions that make it into the game? A vanity frigate or something would be a nice gesture.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: January 27, 2009, 05:03:27 AM

This is going to be hilarious.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: January 27, 2009, 05:08:07 AM

Update your friendlist with 'CCP Amarr HM'  awesome, for real

Don't they have a rewards program for suggestions that make it into the game? A vanity frigate or something would be a nice gesture.

Heh I would like to think I influenced their ideas somewhat thought it's highly unlikely (maybe by osmosis), if I did I want one of those frigs fo shure.

Are you still playing amarr? I haven't seen you online in a while.

No not been playing much at all lately, just finished training Zealots a couple of weeks back so set one up this mornin with TS gear, I was waiting for Aralis to finish building some.

Predator Irl
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: January 27, 2009, 06:55:35 AM

This is going to be hilarious.

Yeah, we're gonna see a heap of Empire Carebears popping out in the middle of 0.0 and getting pwned before they know whats happened them.

Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: January 27, 2009, 06:58:43 AM

Yeah, we're gonna see a heap of Empire Carebears popping out in the middle of 0.0 and getting pwned before they know whats happened them.

Intel Channel - "10 Neutrals just showed up in AZN, I've got an Orca and 9 Hulks on scanner."  awesome, for real

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: January 27, 2009, 07:24:55 AM

Does EVE need to be bigger? Has the population grown that much?

Last time I played, I had entire systems to myself as long as I went 10 feet off the beaten path.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: January 27, 2009, 07:35:02 AM

Last time I played, I had entire systems to myself as long as I went 10 feet off the beaten path.

It need a little more scope not sure if needs to be bigger though.

Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: January 27, 2009, 08:13:16 AM

It sounded to me that quite a bit of that new content would be PVE not just faster routes around the known galaxy.  Not necessarily safe in that someone could scan down the wormhole and follow you in and gank you but if you worked the mass requirements you could have relatively 'safe' pockets for large scale mining ops or whatever other PVE stuff they throw in.

The way CCP works though you can pretty much guarantee that the best wormholes will be located in 0.0.

I'd like to see them lucrative enough that hi-sec gangs attempt to come down and work them but that would probably make the already wealthy 0.0 alliances even more wealthy and controlling.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Vedi
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: January 27, 2009, 09:28:42 AM

-  "While it is theoretically possible to move a control tower into wormhole space, set it up and maintain it, the logistical challenge and risks of fueling and defending a tower in a system with no permanent links to known space would be considerable. But then again the potential rewards are equally great."

I wonder if it will be possible to cynojump in capitals to these systems or if they will be too far out to do that. If they are in cyno distance, reachnig them should be no problem.
Jayce
Terracotta Army

Diluted Fool

Reply #54 on: January 27, 2009, 09:32:12 AM

I wonder if it will be possible to cynojump in capitals to these systems or if they will be too far out to do that. If they are in cyno distance, reachnig them should be no problem.

CCP's stated that there will be no way to reach them except by wormhole - no cyno, no clone jumping, no nothing.

Witty banter not included.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: January 27, 2009, 09:46:27 AM

I guess I don't understand who these wormholes are for exactly?

The Tri-Boxing mission runners with their own personal PvE fleets?

I read 'no stations' and then I read "you can get in, but have fun getting out"...  undecided

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Nerf
Terracotta Army

The Presence of Your Vehicle Has Been Documented

Reply #56 on: January 27, 2009, 10:04:41 AM

They'll probably start putting CONCORD in them
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: January 27, 2009, 10:10:37 AM

The wormhole rats will drop the T3 stuff that you can reverse engineer apparently.

Jayce
Terracotta Army

Diluted Fool

Reply #58 on: January 27, 2009, 10:23:13 AM

I read 'no stations' and then I read "you can get in, but have fun getting out"...  undecided

That's true.

They'll probably start putting CONCORD in them

That's not true.

Witty banter not included.
Nerf
Terracotta Army

The Presence of Your Vehicle Has Been Documented

Reply #59 on: January 27, 2009, 10:25:35 AM

You say it's not true, but wait until carebears start crying about getting ganked and how CCP needs to make this content available to everyone, even those who don't want to pvp.  I imagine it would be loads of fun roaming hisec looking for a wormhole to open though, just follow through with a couple gankfit BS's and start bathing in carebear tears.
TripleDES
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: January 27, 2009, 10:33:55 AM

I thought introducing freaking 5000 new solar systems would cover the carebear angle?

EVE (inactive): Deakin Frost -- APB (fukken dead): Kayleigh (on Patriot).
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: January 27, 2009, 11:26:21 AM

That's true.

From what I just read in the comments thread you CAN put up a station in W-Space (what they are calling it internally) but you won't find fuel there so you will have a large logistics problem.  A large or dedicated group may be able to maintain a semi-permanent presence in a particularly nice system you will just have to deal with long shifting lines of supply.

I think the attitude is wait and see if something is broken and then they will try and make it easier/harder.

I wonder if this means that Marauders are going to become more valuable in the short term, high-damage, big tanks, extra slots for probes and cloaks and etc...?

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
TheDreamr
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: January 27, 2009, 05:06:46 PM

From what I just read in the comments thread you CAN put up a station in W-Space (what they are calling it internally) but you won't find fuel there so you will have a large logistics problem.  A large or dedicated group may be able to maintain a semi-permanent presence in a particularly nice system you will just have to deal with long shifting lines of supply.

I think the attitude is wait and see if something is broken and then they will try and make it easier/harder.

I wonder if this means that Marauders are going to become more valuable in the short term, high-damage, big tanks, extra slots for probes and cloaks and etc...?

Unless there's a mechanic which suits marauder bonuses really well then I'd guess people will bypass them as expensive toys which cost many times more than their T1 equivalents but only provide marginal benefits.   Don't get me wrong, they make really nice solo ships but I'd think twice before committing 1b worth of ship to an unknown location when there are cheaper tools available.

Pair of T1 battleships working together can do pretty much anything a marauder can, if they're using either lasers or drones then barring acts of God (or CCP) they also have a limitless supply of ammunition - combine that with some kind of supply dump to deposit loot and you have a ship which can remain in the field indefinitely and can be fully insured.

edit button addict.
Goumindong
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: January 27, 2009, 07:32:32 PM

There has been a lot of vocal complaint about there being no space where you could go and shoot people without the threat of capital hot drop.

however, CCP has decided to retard it up by making you need probing skills in order to get in and out if you're alone.

So. If you want to be a ratter you need.

1. A prober that does not die or a probe fit
2. A cloak fit so you can hide when enemies come into your system
3. A salvager to salvage materials

So basically you can't use the areas to rat alone unless you bring an alt or a marauder.

Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: January 27, 2009, 08:12:32 PM

Unless there's a mechanic which suits marauder bonuses really well then I'd guess people will bypass them as expensive toys which cost many times more than their T1 equivalents but only provide marginal benefits.   Don't get me wrong, they make really nice solo ships but I'd think twice before committing 1b worth of ship to an unknown location when there are cheaper tools available.

Pair of T1 battleships working together can do pretty much anything a marauder can, if they're using either lasers or drones then barring acts of God (or CCP) they also have a limitless supply of ammunition - combine that with some kind of supply dump to deposit loot and you have a ship which can remain in the field indefinitely and can be fully insured.

There is a mechanic, the limited amount of tonnage that can be transported through a wormhole.  To me this means that you want to bring the most bang for the least tonnage you can reasonably commit.  If the pay-off is 100 mil per person per hour or greater then I think you will see solo and small groups using more and more expensive equipment, HAC's, Command Ships, Faction stuff, carriers and Marauders.  At least until the tech 3 stuff is widespread.

Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: January 28, 2009, 01:44:49 AM

EDIT: thank you.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 03:53:41 AM by Amarr HM »

Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: January 28, 2009, 05:44:42 AM

I thought introducing freaking 5000 new solar systems would cover the carebear angle?

You'd think so but if even 10 percent of those 5,000 new systems are accessible from Empire space it will provoke shrill forum whining from the crowd that bitches endlessly about people being able to run greater than level 1 missions in high sec.
Pax
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: January 28, 2009, 06:01:02 AM

Will they be testing "no local" in those W-space systems too?

Mia san de Borg. Aichan Widastaund keannt's aich ind' Hoar schmian.
Predator Irl
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: January 28, 2009, 06:03:14 AM

Will they be testing "no local" in those W-space systems too?

That would be a great idea, but I haven't seen anything mentioned about it. It would be the perfect place to use it on a full time basis.

Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: January 28, 2009, 06:08:49 AM

You'd think so but if even 10 percent of those 5,000 new systems are accessible from Empire space it will provoke shrill forum whining from the crowd that bitches endlessly about people being able to run greater than level 1 missions in high sec.

Although in the comments thread the Devs  said that as a rule of thumb hi-sec W-Space will usually connect to hi-sec W-Space as a result of the way the resources richness of the wormholes is apportioned there is absolutely NO CONCORD in W-Space.

So, roving gank squads probing out and podding perma-hi-sec players is going to happen.  At least until the whine gets so loud that CCP changes it.

Use the Dev tracker, there's lots of info posted that's not in the blog.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: Next major patch announced: Apocrypha  
Jump to: