Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 06, 2024, 09:25:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: Next major patch announced: Apocrypha 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Next major patch announced: Apocrypha  (Read 88076 times)
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #245 on: February 24, 2009, 04:15:15 PM

CCP can compete against Blizzard in terms of production schedules and promptness in patching.

Perhaps but currently the T3 ships are horribly broken on SISI with less than two weeks to go, I would imagine they would be pretty important considering the majority of the new content revolves around them.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #246 on: February 27, 2009, 02:32:03 AM

Ok so I basically harangued CCP to give us level IV subsystem on SISI and whaddya know it worked, the ships seem to be working a lot better now and have a lot more going for them.

All I can say some of the Gallente setups are gonna be sexy a dual repping ishtar/deimos with 20km scrambler range (overheated faction one will get that) and you will be able to overheat for much longer times especially if you have level V strategic cruiser and Thermo Level V the results will be seriously sick. Also said ship looks seriously evil kinda like a hammerhead shark. There's loads of new graphic tweaks to melt your eyes over, hardeners look cool and sensor boosting looks a lot more up to date ++ more I missed I'm sure.

For those testing them out the proteus subsystem layout I refer to is 12132.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #247 on: February 27, 2009, 02:35:35 AM

I'm scared to think how badass the Minmatar one will be.

Predator Irl
Terracotta Army

Reply #248 on: February 27, 2009, 03:47:00 AM

Whats skills should we be preparing for maxing out other than the obvious? i.e. HAC V or BC 5 ?

Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one!
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #249 on: February 27, 2009, 06:25:05 AM

No you should have all the skills already there's a whole new set to learn five of them to be exact, the good news they are only 1x multiplier skills. So basically maxing them all up to V will take about 30-40 days and then strategic cruiser will take about another month to get to V, this gives you 25% bonus to overheating level IV would suffice though. The skills points you could lose will be from the subsystems and a level V will take about 3-6 days so that's the maximum you can lose. 

DISCLAIMER: This is unless you can lose a level from strategic cruiser which is a 5x multiplier skill, though I have seen no evidence of this yet.

Pax
Terracotta Army

Reply #250 on: February 27, 2009, 06:46:51 AM

Whats skills should we be preparing for maxing out other than the obvious? i.e. HAC V or BC 5 ?

Stupid things like "Shield Operation 3".

Race specific skills:

-LEGION-
Drones 3, Gunnery 5, Shield Operation 3

-TENGU-
Gunnery 3, Missile Launcher Operation 5, Shield Operation 5, Mechanic 3 (that's a weird one)

-PROTEUS-
Drones 3, Gunnery 5, Shield Operation 3

-LOKI-
Gunnery 5, Missile Launcher Operation 3, Shield Operation 3

Edit
HAC 5 isn't a pre-req, much rather strategic cruisers share many of HAC pre-reqs.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 06:48:26 AM by Pax »

Mia san de Borg. Aichan Widastaund keannt's aich ind' Hoar schmian.
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #251 on: February 27, 2009, 07:07:52 AM

Basically if you can fly a HAC you can start training for these.

Predator Irl
Terracotta Army

Reply #252 on: February 27, 2009, 08:47:32 AM

It should be a fairly short skill train for most then. I suppose SISI doesn't give any indication of cost of these ships? Last time I was on SISI over a year ago everything cost 100 ISK.

Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one!
Pax
Terracotta Army

Reply #253 on: February 27, 2009, 09:14:32 AM

Everything seeded still costs 100ISK on Sisi.

Supposedly CCP are aiming for strat cruisers to cost 200-500mill (they halved production requirements in the course of the last week), so the most demanded subsystems might cost 100mill each.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #254 on: February 27, 2009, 01:36:27 PM

You know what I hate about them costing 200M+?

CCP might make them worth that much on the battlefield. This would suck, because frankly there are already enough cap ships making my own ship seem insigificant, I really don't need more of this bollocks.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #255 on: February 27, 2009, 02:33:30 PM

I did see a very good report on the esimated material cost and it was in the region of 500-600m, which means about 800m-1bil when they first hit the market. Currently they aren't much better than a command ship in fact they are worse so I can't see any reason to purchase one. The ewar versions will be quite interesting as solo or small gang ships as they can pack a punch while doing the nasty but it remains to be seen how uber CCP will make them.

From what I can see the only bonus they get that makes them stand out is the overheating bonus, for example if you try to make a Zealot type ship you end up with basically the same ship give or take a nice solid 7-4-7 layout using six turrets instead of five. It has faster locking, worse optimal, slightly better DPS albeit with 20m3 of drones, better sensor strength from 15-17, it's wayyy slower like command ship slow and it can rep more due to being able to fit a medium repper. My main dissapointment is in the speed I thought they would at least be as fast as HACs but we'll see, it's all subject to change.

MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #256 on: February 27, 2009, 07:20:11 PM

Frankly, they'll probably have the same status that HAC's used to (before Invention brought T2 prices down) and most Faction BS still do: Effective as hell, but not in proportion to the price, used in 0.0 only by people with too much money, no sense, or both, and made Primary in every fight they're in.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #257 on: February 27, 2009, 07:51:25 PM

Well, I luckily maxed out my char for exploration, so I'm sort of looking forward to profiting off this  why so serious?.

Fuck actually flying the god damn things.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #258 on: February 27, 2009, 10:11:27 PM

Well, I luckily maxed out my char for exploration, so I'm sort of looking forward to profiting off this  why so serious?.

Fuck actually flying the god damn things.

This is what I'm looking forward to as well.  I don't plan on flying anything t3 for quite some time, but I sure as hell intend to have a lot of fun initial cluster fuck.
Pax
Terracotta Army

Reply #259 on: February 27, 2009, 11:54:55 PM

Don't  condemn the ships before subsystems 4 & 5 are out.
Word is of cloaking boni and Khanid Legions.

The ability to be cynoed around by a black ops would be pretty neat, too, but that's wishful thinking.

Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #260 on: February 28, 2009, 01:28:37 AM

Don't  condemn the ships before subsystems 4 & 5 are out.
Word is of cloaking boni and Khanid Legions.

The ability to be cynoed around by a black ops would be pretty neat, too, but that's wishful thinking.

I won't condemn them til they are fully balanced, but new subsystems won't save them in their current state. The problem is in their base stats they are as slow as command ships and have less base armour/shield than your average HAC even if you build them to perform like a HAC.

Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #261 on: February 28, 2009, 02:18:42 AM

Quote from: Nozh
Where do tech 3 ships fit in?

I think I have to answer this in more detail and explain our current limitations and goals.

As you know we're limited to three subsystems in the March 10th release. The fourth subsystem will then follow very shortly. With the first 3 subsystems we're trying to create useful baseline setups options, which don't stray far off the racial flavor that currently exists in EVE.

Strategic Cruisers are not meant to take over roles. They're not supposed to be better than their Recon counterparts. They're not supposed to be better than their HAC counterparts. They're not supposed to be better than their commandship counterparts. They are meant to fulfill multiple roles. They are focused on heat, which means they are meant to fulfill those roles properly for a (not so) limited time.

Selecting which bonuses belonged in the first iteration was not an easy task. We had different racial sensor strengths in the first release, it got cut. With three subsystems, we knew one would have a racial EW bonus, we just couldn't justify it. Once we've got a solid baseline, we can start thinking about the fourth variation (which I believe will enter the game before Tech 3 ships become a common commodity).

We've got plenty of ideas (too many) concerning the roles for the upcoming subsystems, but I'll leave that discussion for a later thread.

The assembly of the ships has become a great annoyance to me. Even though having proper descriptions with correct bonuses in-game will make things much easier; I still think the usability is a bit off-putting. Hopefully in the future we can combine the assembly window somehow with the fitting screen and add information about bonuses so you can see the bonuses and slot layout as you go.

While I’m at it I might add something about the prices of Strategic Cruisers. The goal has always been to have them considerably cheap, around the price of tech 2 cruisers. The subsystem cost will be about 1/8th of the hull itself, we want people to own multiple subsystems to mix and match as they see fit. If the price gets out of hand (we can’t even predict it accurately ourselves) we’ll do something about it.

What we’re looking for from you guys is inconsistencies in attributes and bonuses. Tell us why the attributes don’t make sense with the bonuses and what we can do to improve them.

PS.
I'm falling in love with Proteus 13131 (fitting screen top to bottom).

PPS.
I'm at home now without access to a Singularity client, but I'll be in tomorrow and will hopefully be able to give you some numbers.

It'll be interesting to see if they end up priced the same as T2, then they wil definitely be worthwhile and the heat bonus is pretty nice.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 02:20:46 AM by Amarr HM »

gryeyes
Terracotta Army

Reply #262 on: February 28, 2009, 05:44:09 AM

Does anyone know the status of ambulation? I havent played for 6+ months so am pretty unaware.

Also, has there been any word on the status of their other MMO?
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #263 on: February 28, 2009, 06:32:01 AM

Quote from: Nozh
Strategic Cruisers are not meant to take over roles. They're not supposed to be better than their Recon counterparts. They're not supposed to be better than their HAC counterparts. They're not supposed to be better than their commandship counterparts. They are meant to fulfill multiple roles. They are focused on heat, which means they are meant to fulfill those roles properly for a (not so) limited time.
Translation: They're going to be hanger queens for people with more money than sense. Much like every other ship they've introduced in the last few expansions bar HICs.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Pax
Terracotta Army

Reply #264 on: February 28, 2009, 06:48:08 AM

Is it me or does Nozh sound somewhat disappointed with the entire strategic cruiser concept?

Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #265 on: February 28, 2009, 07:13:47 AM

They'll be fabulously expensive and within a month of their introduction the people dumb enough to go into building them will be whining that there's no profit in it. Just like the tech 2 battleships.
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #266 on: February 28, 2009, 08:20:03 AM

There's currently a few fits on the Gallente and Amarr ship that are nuts, like you can configure seven turrets but it's impossible to wrangle even seven of the smallest sized ones on and still have PG/CPU for the MWD booster and tank, you also end up with some horrible slot layouts like 8-4-4.

TheDreamr
Terracotta Army

Reply #267 on: February 28, 2009, 08:42:59 AM

Is it me or does Nozh sound somewhat disappointed with the entire strategic cruiser concept?

Sounds like he's relatively fine with the concept, but tired of having to repeat those simple bullet-points to the FoTM crowd who'll immediately get one, watch it explode to vs. competently piloted T1 cruisers and spend hours on the forums frothing at the mouth they aren't better than a HAC / CS / <insert FoTM here>.

edit button addict.
Goumindong
Terracotta Army

Reply #268 on: February 28, 2009, 10:20:23 AM

There's currently a few fits on the Gallente and Amarr ship that are nuts, like you can configure seven turrets but it's impossible to wrangle even seven of the smallest sized ones on and still have PG/CPU for the MWD booster and tank, you also end up with some horrible slot layouts like 8-4-4.

There are some good gallente fits. The Amarr ones all suck, you can get 6 turrets without the cap to fire them or the slots to make your ship half decent, or you can get 4 turrets and slum around with tech 1 cruiser DPS and more slots.

You an make 8/4/7 gallente blaster boats however with 6 or 7 turrets...
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #269 on: February 28, 2009, 10:22:27 AM

The Real question is, how good do they mine?  Ohhhhh, I see.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #270 on: February 28, 2009, 10:41:22 AM

If he has new roles for t3 ships, what the fuck would be wrong with putting them on new t1/t2 ships?

If he doesn't mean new-to-the-game roles, I don't see how they aren't linearly better versions of existing ships, which is also tiresome.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Hellinar
Terracotta Army

Reply #271 on: February 28, 2009, 07:10:09 PM

If he has new roles for t3 ships, what the fuck would be wrong with putting them on new t1/t2 ships?

If he doesn't mean new-to-the-game roles, I don't see how they aren't linearly better versions of existing ships, which is also tiresome.

I read it as saying they aren't better than existing ships in any particular role, but that they can switch roles easily. Your recon ship becomes a HAC becomes a command ship as needed. But the focus on heat means they only do that well for a limited period. T3 is giving you flexibility not power.  Be interesting to see if that works out.
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #272 on: February 28, 2009, 07:12:09 PM

No, it sounds (to me) like they wanted T3 ships to be like WoW shamans - able to perform as DPS, healer, tank, or CC without the need to dock (respec).  But what they're implementing is more like druids, where you need to dock to change from tank spec to healy spec.  But anyway, without using wow-speak (some may hate it), it sounds like the two major things that T3 ships have going for themselves are:

- they can perform multiple roles (even if they have to dock to change roles).
- no more recognizing, just from the name (Arazu!!), what your enemy is capable of.

The last one is going to disadvantage veterans somewhat.

I don't know why they're going for the whole "lose skillpoints if you die with your ship" bit - if they wanted to implement permanent soulbound purples like WoW has they should have just done that.

And what they think is fun for PVE'ers isn't.  For me, for example, is not the complexity of the raid boss fights that I enjoy, it's new scenery, and entertaining quest lines / lore.  Content, in other words.  EVE won't have new scenery, and CCP doesn't have the time or manpower for the amount of content required to attract or keep me there for long.

I'm looking forward to trying to deal with the threat/aggro mechanics they're building into the AI, without any taunts or threat-controlling abilities.

EDIT:  I also get the feeling that they're trying to implement complex AI just for complexity's sake (to show how good they are at coding it), rather than for the purpose of entertaining players and making PVE encounters "fun."
« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 07:17:01 PM by ajax34i »
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #273 on: February 28, 2009, 08:06:50 PM

The biggest flaw I see with their new 'smart' AI, is the NPC rats still have magical powers like endless cap and bullshit ECM.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #274 on: February 28, 2009, 11:46:35 PM

There are some good gallente fits. The Amarr ones all suck, you can get 6 turrets without the cap to fire them or the slots to make your ship half decent, or you can get 4 turrets and slum around with tech 1 cruiser DPS and more slots.

You an make 8/4/7 gallente blaster boats however with 6 or 7 turrets...

Yes totally agreed the Legion sucks most out of them all. For the 8-4-7 fit I imagine you would need to use the defensive SS III & it gimps your armour by 33% without giving you a mass reduction and worst of all it's bonus is to your drone hitpoints (by far the worst bonus of any subsystem). In this case you are better off with defensive SS II which will give you an 8-4-6 layout, a repper bonus and 33% more armour, you're basically being railroaded atm, but they will hopefully fix these issues, I would like to see a mass reduced variant so you can build a lightweight but fast version of these ships as an option.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 12:29:43 AM by Amarr HM »

Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #275 on: March 01, 2009, 12:27:08 AM

No, it sounds (to me) like they wanted T3 ships to be like WoW shamans - able to perform as DPS, healer, tank, or CC without the need to dock (respec).  But what they're implementing is more like druids, where you need to dock to change from tank spec to healy spec.  But anyway, without using wow-speak (some may hate it), it sounds like the two major things that T3 ships have going for themselves are:

- they can perform multiple roles (even if they have to dock to change roles).
- no more recognizing, just from the name (Arazu!!), what your enemy is capable of.

You should add the heat bonus, that is going to be pretty spectacular on some combos.

Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #276 on: March 01, 2009, 08:30:27 AM

They've fixed up the Legion you can do some nice things with it now and having just lost one I lost 67k SP this time from a level IV subsystem which is about 12 hours training so not so bad actually.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 08:36:55 AM by Amarr HM »

Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #277 on: March 02, 2009, 04:22:34 AM

They've fixed up the Legion you can do some nice things with it now and having just lost one I lost 67k SP this time from a level IV subsystem which is about 12 hours training so not so bad actually.

Are the training times accelerated for the ship skills?  That's almost a full day's training for me in a conventional level 1 skill with an implant clone in my best skills.

My blog: http://endie.net

Twitter - Endieposts

"What else would one expect of Scottish sociopaths sipping their single malt Glenlivit [sic]?" Jack Thompson
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #278 on: March 02, 2009, 04:56:03 AM

Yes your right that's over a days training no I think the skillsheet is bugged it was showing me 12 hours but lot of glitches on SISI atm. I lost another one yesterday messin about with uber passive shield tanked Proteus' and this time was only deducted 37k which would be 14-15hours with top skills.

Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #279 on: March 02, 2009, 05:19:42 AM

If we whine enough we can probably get the skill loss thing scrapped.  A few dozen dedicated board warriors can probably get it done in a few weeks, just fag up every thread on eve o and divert it into a whine on skill loss.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: Next major patch announced: Apocrypha  
Jump to: