Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:47:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Black Books 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Black Books  (Read 3470 times)
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

on: January 06, 2009, 11:24:54 AM

British comedy about a alcoholic misanthrope who runs a book store.  Had three seasons that aired from 2000 to 2004.

It's really goddamn good.  Netflixed it a while ago, got my own copy of the DVDs for Christmas, and it's still gut-bustingly funny on the second viewing.

Stars Dylan Moran, whom many will remember from Shaun of the Dead.  (Simon Pegg and Nick Frost show up in a couple of episodes.)

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 11:49:55 AM

British comedy about a alcoholic misanthrope who runs a book store.  Had three seasons that aired from 2000 to 2004.

It's really goddamn good.  Netflixed it a while ago, got my own copy of the DVDs for Christmas, and it's still gut-bustingly funny on the second viewing.

Stars Dylan Moran, whom many will remember from Shaun of the Dead.  (Simon Pegg and Nick Frost show up in a couple of episodes.)
I'm a big Bill Bailey fan, Black books is more awesomer for his presence.

Edit: More Bill Bailey Awesomeness:
Love songs
Cockney Rock Medley
Billy Bragg Tribute
« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 12:12:15 PM by IainC »

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
schild
Administrator

Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 11:50:37 AM

God no, not this.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 04:18:58 PM

Black Books   Heart

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 05:43:10 PM

I like Dylan Moran.  I like Tamsin Grieg.  I really like Bill Bailey. 

For some reason, I never quite got into Black Books. 

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #5 on: January 07, 2009, 06:47:34 AM

I think I'll rent this.  I haven't seen it and I  Heart Bill Bailey, too.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 06:04:57 AM

The episodes with the heatwave and the piano are probably my favourites.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Ookii
Staff Emeritus

is actually Trippy

Reply #7 on: January 13, 2009, 01:46:41 PM

Fucking wine bottle lollipop gets me everytime.  In fact that episode was the best by far.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #8 on: January 13, 2009, 01:48:38 PM

The bit that cracks me up consistently is Manny holding up the "OH NO!" sign.  I need to get a screencap of that and add it to my avatar rotation.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #9 on: January 19, 2010, 12:52:02 PM

Necro!

I used to really dislike this when it was on TV. It just kind of annoyed me whenever it came on, so I'd change the channel. (I don't use a TV guide, I just flip around and whatever's on can be background noise if it's ok or actually watched if it's good).

But we picked up the 3-disc set of all 3 seasons a year or so ago on the cheap, and finally started watching it recently. Like a lot of series (Philadelphia) it takes a little bit to get past the absurdity of the way the world works in it, but it's actually quite good.

Still, not as good as Spaced.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: January 19, 2010, 04:42:12 PM

Eh, Spaced in the second series descended into "hilarious movie take-off" only not as subtle as the first series. It's still amazing but I prefer Black Books overall, the house sitting/wine making episode is probably one of my favourite episodes from any show ever.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: January 22, 2010, 09:08:07 AM

I just picked this up and watched the first few opisodes. Apparently I like british humour, because I was in tears from laughing throughout it.

Still, not as good as Spaced.
Ok, that is the next on the list then.

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Black Books  
Jump to: