Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 02:24:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Calling all cooks 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Calling all cooks  (Read 14920 times)
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

on: November 23, 2004, 08:37:02 AM

I need a starchy side dish for a thanksgiving meal that has a main dish of standing rib roast.  I'd generally just do mashed potato but that's kinda boring so I want to branch out a bit.

Any suggestions?

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
plangent
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: November 23, 2004, 08:42:10 AM

Potato cakes.  I lurrrrve potato cakes.

Homo sum.  Humani nil a me alienum puto.
Nazrat
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: November 23, 2004, 08:42:28 AM

Baked sweet potates?

Sweet potatoe casserole?
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: November 23, 2004, 08:44:25 AM

Ok, I should caveat that with I despise sweet potatoes and yams.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #4 on: November 23, 2004, 08:49:25 AM

Broccoli rice casserole
Baked Cheese Grits
Baked Potato Casserole
Squash Casserole
Corn Bake

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #5 on: November 23, 2004, 08:50:57 AM

A good risotto might do for you.

-Rasix
Nazrat
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: November 23, 2004, 08:51:33 AM

Quote from: Abagadro

Damn blue states!  :)
UD_Delt
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: November 23, 2004, 08:52:17 AM

I would still do mashed potatoes as that is the more traditional side with a dish like that but you can fancy them up a bit...

Kind of a twice baked mashed potatoe that you can prepare ahead of time. My mom has made similar dishes in the past and these are incredibly good.
http://thanksgiving.allrecipes.com/AZ/DyBfrMshdPtts.asp

Another favorite that the wife likes to make are roasted garlic mashed potatoes. These would probably go really well with a rib roast:
http://thanksgiving.allrecipes.com/AZ/RoastedGarlicMashedPotatoe.asp

There's alsp about a billion more recipes at http://www.allrecipes.com/.
DarkDryad
Terracotta Army

da hizzookup

Reply #8 on: November 23, 2004, 08:54:42 AM

Roasted Garlic mashed taters is the guuuud! They go well with a roast as well.

BWL is funny tho.  It's like watching a Special Needs school take a field trip to a minefield.
WayAbvPar

Reply #9 on: November 23, 2004, 09:04:03 AM

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: November 23, 2004, 09:06:37 AM

Quote from: Nazrat

Damn blue states!  :)

I live in the reddest of the red states. I still hate fucking yams though.  I don't know about you all out there, but here in Utah (home of some of THE worst cooking anywhere) they always put marshmellows on yams. Blech.

Thanks for the ideas folks. Keep em coming.

-H.L. Mencken
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #11 on: November 23, 2004, 09:11:20 AM

I only eat sweet potatoes in pie form. That is the bomb here below the mason-dixon.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

Reply #12 on: November 23, 2004, 09:33:07 AM

Grits
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #13 on: November 23, 2004, 09:48:13 AM

Wild rice is good.  Cook it in chicken stock with some sauteed onion and chopped pecans.  Mmm mm.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: November 23, 2004, 09:53:22 AM

Ok, wayabvpar's suggestion of Mac'n'Cheese brought to mind a dish I've made a couple of times before that I think will go well, so I'm going with that:

Maytage Blue Cheese Mac

-H.L. Mencken
SirBruce
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: November 23, 2004, 09:57:29 AM

Creamed Onions.  When they are done right with a good cream sauce they are divine.

Bruce
WayAbvPar

Reply #16 on: November 23, 2004, 09:59:57 AM

Ok, wayabvpar's suggestion of Mac'n'Cheese brought to mind a dish I've made a couple of times before that I think will go well, so I'm going with that:

Maytage Blue Cheese Mac

Oh my god that sounds good. Can you post the recipe?

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Dark Vengeance
Delinquents

Reply #17 on: November 23, 2004, 10:03:39 AM

Quote from: Samwise
Wild rice is good.  Cook it in chicken stock with some sauteed onion and chopped pecans.  Mmm mm.

Black beans and rice is a great starchy side dish. I add lots of Tabasco for extra flavor.

Bring the noise.
Cheers.............
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: November 23, 2004, 10:04:34 AM

It's relatively easy and is really good. Toughest thing is finding freaking Maytag Blue Cheese.

3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon butter
3 tablespoons flour
3 cups milk
Freshly ground white pepper
1/2 pound crumbled Maytag Blue Cheese
2 egg yolks, beaten
Dash of Crystal Hot Sauce
Salt
1 pound small shells, cooked until tender
1 cup fine dried bread crumbs
1 tablespoon olive oil

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Grease a large shallow baking pan with 1 teaspoon of the butter. In a medium saucepan, over medium heat, melt the remaining 3 tablespoons butter. Stir in the flour and cook for 2 minutes. Whisk in the milk, 1/2 cup at a time. Season with white pepper. Cook, stirring constantly for 4 to 6 minutes. Remove from the heat and whisk in the cheese and egg yolks. Season with the hot sauce and salt if needed. In a large mixing bowl, toss the pasta with the sauce. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan. In a small mixing bowl, combine the bread crumbs and oil. Season with salt and pepper. Mix well. Sprinkle the pasta with the bread crumbs. Bake until the top is golden and bubbly, about 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool for about 5 minutes before serving.

-H.L. Mencken
WayAbvPar

Reply #19 on: November 23, 2004, 10:10:04 AM

If you can't find Maytag, Oregon Blue Cheese is outstanding. I have printed the recipe and will make sure it gets in my wife's hands posthaste. Gracias!

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #20 on: November 23, 2004, 10:11:24 AM

My wife hates blue cheese.  Too bad, that sounds mighty good.

-Rasix
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #21 on: November 23, 2004, 10:13:00 AM

You could always add Garlic to the Mashed Potatoes, or actually mash potatoes with the skins on to "kick up" the mash. Or, add some smoked gouda cheese right at the end of the cooking.

Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #22 on: November 23, 2004, 11:58:59 AM

With a standing Rib Roast, I'd do roasted new potatoes in the same pan.  Your casserole thing sounds interesting, but blue cheese isn't my thing.

I'm actually going to experience my first American Thanksgiving this Thursday - in Canada.  One of my best friend's new wife is American, and this will be her first Thanksgiving away from the US, so we are all going there for dinner.

Should be interesting, we just don't celebrate the holliday the same way Americans do.

My family's typical traditional Christmas/Thanksgiving meal:
Turkey
Mash potatoes and gravy
Bread stuffing
Cranberry sauce
Yams and Marshmellows
Carrots and baby onions
Brussel Sprouts in Cream sauce (im weird, I love Brussel sprouts)
Coleslaw
Jelly salad of some sort
Pumkin Pie if Thanksgiving
Christmas pudding otherwise.

Im salivating now...

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
El Gallo
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: November 23, 2004, 12:01:37 PM

Only dirty Communists don't have turkey for Thanksgiving, you dirty Communist.  I must say, however, that your blue cheese m&c sounds pretty yummy.

This post makes me want to squeeze into my badass red jeans.
Fargull
Contributor

Reply #24 on: November 23, 2004, 12:13:34 PM

Okay...

I don't do much cooking, but when I get crazy, I generally grab something from Dale Carson who writes the cooking article for Indian Country.  If you click on his name in the title it will let you look over the articles he has written.  Some really good eating in there.

"I have come to believe that a great teacher is a great artist and that there are as few as there are any other great artists. Teaching might even be the greatest of the arts since the medium is the human mind and spirit." John Steinbeck
Hanzii
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: November 23, 2004, 12:45:46 PM

Pray tell, what is a standing rib roast? What is it standing on?

Mashed potatoes are boring.
Mashed celery root and potatoes isn't:
Use 1/3 celery root and 2/3 potatoes. Lots of salt, pebber and nutmeg and some creme fraiche.

Potatoes, celery root and Hamburg root parsley baked in the oven with pears.
Cut the potatoes, celery root and root parsley in equal squares. Mix with good coldpressed olive oil and some rosemary. Cut 2-3 pears in quarters and remove the seeds. Cut 2-3 lemons in quarters. Put everything in a large baking tray and pop in the oven at 180 degrees celcius for 45 minutes approx.

... and this is too much work. having to look up stuff like freaking hamburg root parsley - it's not the kind of English words take teach you in school.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I would like to discuss this more with you, but I'm not allowed to post in Politics anymore.

Bruce
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #26 on: November 23, 2004, 02:28:57 PM

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Arnold
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: November 23, 2004, 02:31:43 PM

I need a starchy side dish for a thanksgiving meal that has a main dish of standing rib roast.  I'd generally just do mashed potato but that's kinda boring so I want to branch out a bit.

Any suggestions?

Mashed potatoes don't have to be boring!  I like making them garlic mashed.  I used reds (with skin on) and use cream instead of butter.

Or you could make some au gratin with fancy schmancy cheese.  Or maybe you could even do some nice, crisp, potato pancackes.
Arnold
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: November 23, 2004, 02:34:51 PM

Quote from: WayAbvPar
If you can't find Maytag, Oregon Blue Cheese is outstanding. I have printed the recipe and will make sure it gets in my wife's hands posthaste. Gracias!

The BEST bleu cheese I've found is (I can't remember the brand name; it's in a deli case) "Wisconsin Buttermilk Bleu Cheese".  This stuff is really good for eating on crackers and whatnot.  It's more mild and less salty than standard bleu cheese.  Of course, for cooking, the regular stuff is fine (just add less salt).
Arnold
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: November 23, 2004, 02:37:12 PM

Quote from: Hanzii
Pray tell, what is a standing rib roast?

AKA Prime Rib.
Nazrat
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: November 23, 2004, 04:06:15 PM

My family's sweet potatoe casserole has pecans on top and tastes similar to a pecan pie.  Mmmm, tasty.  

Also, a baked sweet potato is very different from the watery and runny mess that most people serve.  Just bake it like a white potatoe, add butter and/or cinammon and there you go.  

I'm not a big fan of marshmellows on top of sweet potatoes either.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #31 on: November 24, 2004, 09:53:35 AM

Mmm...another vote for roasted garlic potatoes. I love roasted garlic on everything. Also drop in some butter, salt and freshly ground black pepper. Great stuff, used to make vats of it when I worked at a dinner theater.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: November 24, 2004, 03:45:32 PM

Cream Onions rock.

(let me say Im rather fond of this thanksgiving thing you yanks do...mmmm mmmm)

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Moroni

Email
Reply #33 on: November 24, 2004, 07:13:23 PM

Ever try mashed cauliflower rather than mashed potatoes? I hear it is the only rational use for califlower ever conceived by man.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #34 on: November 26, 2004, 11:41:38 AM

Quote from: Moroni
I hear it is the only rational use for califlower ever conceived by man.

Non-violent punishment for children.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Calling all cooks  
Jump to: