Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 06:26:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Magic: The Gathering Online  |  Topic: Shards of Alara 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Shards of Alara  (Read 4918 times)
Raging Turtle
Terracotta Army

on: December 26, 2008, 05:05:01 PM

New set!  Or at least semi-new, since I stopped paying attention to Magic months and months ago.

Wizards made a visual spoiler that doesn't suck! Amazing! http://www.wizards.com/magic/tcg/article.aspx?x=mtg/tcg/shardsofalara/spoiler

And the set itself, IMO, is... ok.  It's not bad, but it didn't really grab me like, say, Ravnica did.  Art is a bit more miss than hit, cards feel safe rather than exciting.  No affinity-level mechanics, but there are artifacts you pay colored mana for!  That's almost interesting!

I do like the setting.  Five seperate 'shards' of one former plane, each dominated by one color of magic.  So you have your white order army world, your dragon volcano world, forest world with huge beasties (although they're not actually that huge: a critter called 'Realm Razer' is a 4/2  swamp poop), etc.  Makes me think they're going to bring the shards together in the next set, which could be fun.  Yes, I'm one of those dorks who loves flavor text.

Anyone actually played with it?  I'm still keeping MTGO off my computer until I hear it's actually fucking playable.  I'm crazy like that.   
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: December 28, 2008, 04:43:25 PM

New set!  Or at least semi-new, since I stopped paying attention to Magic months and months ago.

Wizards made a visual spoiler that doesn't suck! Amazing! http://www.wizards.com/magic/tcg/article.aspx?x=mtg/tcg/shardsofalara/spoiler

And the set itself, IMO, is... ok.  It's not bad, but it didn't really grab me like, say, Ravnica did.  Art is a bit more miss than hit, cards feel safe rather than exciting.  No affinity-level mechanics, but there are artifacts you pay colored mana for!  That's almost interesting!

I do like the setting.  Five seperate 'shards' of one former plane, each dominated by one color of magic.  So you have your white order army world, your dragon volcano world, forest world with huge beasties (although they're not actually that huge: a critter called 'Realm Razer' is a 4/2  swamp poop), etc.  Makes me think they're going to bring the shards together in the next set, which could be fun.  Yes, I'm one of those dorks who loves flavor text.

Anyone actually played with it?  I'm still keeping MTGO off my computer until I hear it's actually fucking playable.  I'm crazy like that.   

It's a fun, fun, fun limited set.  Been drafting a fair amount of it.

As I said somewhere here,  the stability is much better now.  I've had one goof up in the last two months.  Still no leagues though.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: January 01, 2009, 05:26:35 PM

Also:

MTGO now has "Swiss" style 8 man drafts,  which means drafts that you play three games mandatory.  You win a pack for each match you win.   They also have "Nix ticket" (no tickets required) drafts going on.

Been playing a fair amount of the Tempest drafts,  since I usually win 2 of 3 a draft only costs me one pack.
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 10:14:19 AM

Was enjoying shards quite a bit, but then my local shop closed down a few months ago due to problems with the landlord and I haven't played a game of magic since.  Heartbreak

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 10:08:53 PM

MTGO is dead to me. The combined clustefuck of 2.0 falling apart (3 aborted drafts in a row, fun times!) combined with 3.0 sucking balls has put me off of online Magic for good.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 07:57:18 AM

How to Kill the Money Tree by WotC
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 11:22:45 AM by tazelbain »

"Me am play gods"
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Magic: The Gathering Online  |  Topic: Shards of Alara  
Jump to: