Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:45:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Archived: We distort. We decide.  |  Topic: Beta Writeup: World of Warcraft [2: Margalis] 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beta Writeup: World of Warcraft [2: Margalis]  (Read 17710 times)
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #35 on: November 25, 2004, 12:40:45 AM

Oh yeah, the original "review" is a total joke.

Gotta be careful not to be too optimistic.

In all the years I have played MMORPG's, this is the track record I had:

Left in disgust:
EVE Online
Lineage II
Everquest II
Ragnarok Online

Left in dismay:
Star Wars Galaxies
Final Fantasy XI
Anarchy Online
Planetside

Left in frustration:
Dark Age of Camelot
Everquest I
Guildwars beta
Asheron's Call

Left actually pleased with the experience, sans complaints:
City of Heroes

So I want, I really want to like this game, to be able to put it into the fourth category rather than walk away with a bitter taste in my brain. But I can't go giving the game rose-colored fanboy benefits of the doubt - I mean, I'm watching someone go through the stages of denial with Everquest II, right now - Poor sod still has hope for the game. I assure you, his account will be canceled in a month. Will WoW suffice as a mecca for MMORPG gameplayers who have been shafted so long by pattern production mediocrity, or is 'Everquest 1.5' not going to have anything to offer us?

Endnote: It's sad that WoW makes a better Everquest 1.5 than Everquest II does.
Lurk

Email
Reply #36 on: November 25, 2004, 10:02:48 AM

WoW is not a mecca or a savior, I'm not even going to play it. Doesn't change the fact that the review is a total joke. In my ever so humble opinion, of course.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: November 25, 2004, 12:14:01 PM

Gee thanks.

A far as I can tell, the Trolls have no backstory at all. Maybe someone else who played a troll can point out how I am wrong? I haven't had a single quest or tidbit of backstory that even mentioned trolls at all. All I know is they are apparently Jamaican and their have no homeland of their own.

Some of the other things you rebutted just are not right. The complaint that the animation is poor, or that your character doesn't change looks, is not something I made up on the spot. Go to any WoW message board and you'll see the same complaints. It's VERY safe to say that your character looks change far far less than in Anarchy Online or FFXI at least. I don't see how that is disputable.

As far as the animation goes, hold 'W', then while still holding W hold 'A' also. Then release 'A'. Look, I'm dancing a jig! Combat animation is a matter of taste I suppose, but it looks pretty weak to me. World animation? There isn't any, other than fires.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: November 25, 2004, 03:48:48 PM

Quote from: Margalis
As far as the animation goes, hold 'W', then while still holding W hold 'A' also. Then release 'A'. Look, I'm dancing a jig! Combat animation is a matter of taste I suppose, but it looks pretty weak to me. World animation? There isn't any, other than fires.

Not sure what you are talking about  here... when I do both my guy just runs in a circle. When I release A he starts running straight again, but I don't see any glitches.

Do you have a poor graphics card or have a lot of stuff turned off? I see tons of animation just standing in Goldshire. Flags waving, the pumps for the hearth moving, rabbits bouncing around, birds flying around. No moving trees or grass or anything, but if I want that I'd go play AC2.

- Viin
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: November 25, 2004, 03:58:58 PM

When I do what I described there is a noticeable twitch whenever you hit A and then release it as it switches between the run straight and run off to the side animation. The feet just instantly morph into the new position.

My main complaint would be the combat animation though, which is just boring overall.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
doubleplus
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: November 25, 2004, 05:18:37 PM

You don't need to provide an example that minute when you say it's boring. Just tell someone to attack something.

However, this was a good review of the newbie experience. I would've titled it thusly, but hindsight, etc. I ran into a lot of the same opinions you did, myself. Just didn't capture me at all. But ah well - a lot of people seem to like it, so you're going to catch hell for being negative.

WoW! GaH!
Joe
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: November 25, 2004, 05:26:38 PM

Quote from: Lurk
WoW is not a mecca or a savior, I'm not even going to play it. Doesn't change the fact that the review is a total joke. In my ever so humble opinion, of course.

You can send your ever so humble review to admin@f13.net. Until you do, please take my humble advice to go fuck yourself with your mother's vibrator.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: November 25, 2004, 06:23:23 PM

Quote from: doubleplus

However, this was a good review of the newbie experience. I would've titled it thusly, but hindsight, etc. I ran into a lot of the same opinions you did, myself.

Well, the very first line says I was a level 15 Shaman that played open beta. I guess the actual review text doesn't say that but the link to it does. (I blame the editors! :)

Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #43 on: November 29, 2004, 08:47:15 AM

Quote from: Margalis
My main complaint would be the combat animation though, which is just boring overall.

In addition: Instacasts and melee, which are ubiquitously in tandem for any combat I do, cause for the combat motions to get entirely messed up - my weapon jumps off and on my back several times in a couple of swings.
Ravatar
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: December 04, 2004, 08:35:00 PM

Just thought I'd add a small blurb about the group playing aspect of WoW.

I am assuming you wrote this article while still at level 15. Which leads me to believe that you had not yet taken part in an "elite dungeon", or raid or the like. That is the point in the game where grouping becomes necessary, if not the only way to get such feats completed. So while you were close, you didn't quite get exposure to the grouping aspect of World of Warcraft.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: December 04, 2004, 09:04:23 PM

Obviously raid content requires grouping, and the elite mobs do as well. However in the first 15 levels of play (as a troll) there were only 2 or 3 instanced quests to do. (Maybe one more in the Stonetalon mountains, I don't remember if that was instanced or not) So clearly there is some grouping involved. I suspect at higher levels a lot of the game is forming groups to kill instanced boss mobs for their rare drops. But that doesn't change the fact that the vast majority of my groups were "oh shit, I need to kill this named mob to complete X quest and he's too hard for one person, I'll team up with Joe and Bob for 5 minutes!"

And again, I don't want to misrepresent my review in any shape or form. I was level 15, I played open beta only, and did no PVP outside of duels. (Although I was on a PVP server - I once saw a gnome mage with a ? for level and decided running was better than fighting) I can only review the game I experienced. If people want to take that as a review of the newbie gameplay experience that's fine, that's what it is really. To me, the newbie experience of both AO and FFXI were better. AO really blew me away with the item and armor variety, between levels 1 and 5 I probably wore 10 different looking tops and 5 or 6 different looking and sounding weapons.

Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: December 05, 2004, 05:46:30 AM

Quote from: doubleplus
You don't need to provide an example that minute when you say it's boring. Just tell someone to attack something.

I tried a Rogue in beta and had a good time with the combat, switching between attacks to move the power up meter, deciding when to use a finishing move, stunning and circle strafing to get into position for a backstab.  It was a nice system, no City of Heros, still quite a lot of fun.

Then the last few days of beta I tried a warrior, yeah, that was very boring.  Warlock was a little better, at least stuff died fast.   Paladin, despite all the hoopla about thier uberness was only marginally more interesting than the warrior.  Druid had promise but by then we were in the last few hours of beta  with servers coming down so I never made it very far.  I never did get in a shaman though I did try a hunter for a bit but not far enough to get a pet.  I imagine they play fairly similar to warlocks after a point.  Pet attack then nuke down.

If I were to go to WoW after I get to tired of EQ 2 I would certainly play a rogue again focused on stealth and initial from stealth damage.  I had a great experience wandering stealthed around a village of defias around 14 - 16 and picking off stragglers as they wandered around corners.  I don't know how it is with other classes in WoW in the mid teens but for a rogue if the mob wasn't at least 2 levels above me it was a trivial encounter and frankly, I like the feeling of being at least a little uber even if its only in an arbitrary difficulty rating.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: December 07, 2004, 08:25:33 AM

I played a rogue in beta and they are pretty damn fun. One on one if you can hit something from sneak they are very good soloers. I also had some fun pvping which I normally do not care for. I was having fun hiding in the shrubs mugging cows and undead that were pestering the alliance quest givers near ironforge.

I went 5 kills and 0 deaths and I suck at pvp so it was pretty amusing.

kaid
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Archived: We distort. We decide.  |  Topic: Beta Writeup: World of Warcraft [2: Margalis]  
Jump to: