Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:49:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer  (Read 2113 times)
Margalis
Terracotta Army

on: December 23, 2008, 12:59:07 AM

Man I just watched this the other night to clear the bad taste left over by Robert Altman's "The Player." I'd always wanted to see it because I remembered the controversy surrounding it when it couldn't get an R rating. (Seems like today it would get an R)

I liked it. It truly is a portrait - not much character development, not much plot to speak of. Just a slice of life.

Apparently the guy who killed Adam Walsh's son (the "Americas Most Wanted" guy) is Otis in the movie. (The movie is based on real people) I'm a fan of adult fare but not exploitive stuff, this was about as un-exploitive as you can get while making an honest movie about a serial killer. Otis is such a sick fuck character, he makes Henry's sick fuck look like a boy scout.

The scene when Henry's and Otis' car is broken down is really fucked up, kind of makes you think twice about everyday situations in life.

Edit: Trailer as per rules thread:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pHNWDYRR84
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 01:02:56 AM by Margalis »

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: December 23, 2008, 02:00:02 AM

I haven't seen this in years but remember seeing it the night after watching Man Bites Dog and shortly before seeing Se7en.  Thought it was great.  Such a shame that Micheal Rooker seemed to decline into relative obscurity and doing not much more than direct to video films and being the bad guy in Van Damme movies.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 08:28:08 AM by DraconianOne »

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #2 on: December 23, 2008, 08:14:56 AM

Good movie, but definitely one that makes you uncomfortable while watching it.

WayAbvPar

Reply #3 on: December 23, 2008, 08:28:45 AM

I feel like showering just remembering this flick. Although this might have something to do with the fact that my hot water heater has been dead for three days now.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #4 on: December 23, 2008, 03:15:23 PM

Good flick. Only saw it once long ago, but agree on Michael Rooker going into obscurity. He had more to offer.

How could you not like the Player though?

Rule: All Hollywood movies and shows that point inwards are good.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: December 23, 2008, 05:59:22 PM

I tend not to like books about writers (fictional books that is), movies about movies and things like that. They seem masturbatory and self-indulgent.

If you strip out all the Hollywood in-jokes and cameos the actual plotline was crap and the cinematography annoyed me. Especially the scene in the police station when Whoopi Goldberg is laughing at Tim Robbins.
---

The entire cast of Henry did a great job and the first 15 minutes was absolutely fantastic.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #6 on: December 23, 2008, 07:19:00 PM

Did you like Sunset Blvd at least? Just curious. Imo, movies can't get any better than that.

Books about writers.. Hmm, well, everything should be fair game. I can see the danger of it being self-indulgent, but writers can make "eventful" characters sometimes.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer  
Jump to: