Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 03:58:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Punisher 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Punisher  (Read 12745 times)
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: April 27, 2009, 01:14:51 PM

Stephenson made a great Punisher, but I felt insulted that they took interesting characters from the comic and transplanted them into this movie as a hollow shell of the awesomeness of their comic book forms.

Case in point: Pittsy. Jesus.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #36 on: April 28, 2009, 03:21:01 AM

I actually thought Jigsaw and the bad guys were the worst parts of it. His portrayal of Jigsaw felt like Garth Ennis writing Tommy Lee Jones as Two-Face. The plot also veered into nonsense territory when he recruited all the racial stereotypes to be his soldiers.

Hrm.. I know you're the one decent white guy in Mississippi and all, but it's OK to laugh at racial stereotypes.  why so serious?
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: April 28, 2009, 08:57:43 AM

I don't think Garth Ennis had anything to do with writing the script other than creating all the minor characters, as the level of suck would have been that much less. So I'll understand if you meant Jigsaw was played like Tommy Lee Jones did Two-Face.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #38 on: April 28, 2009, 11:28:06 AM

Except Tommy Lee Jones didn't play Two-Face with profanity and mayhem. Jigsaw had all the mayhem, gore and profanity that Garth Ennis writes, but without his talent, i.e. Jones' Two-Face.

As for the racial stereotypes, they weren't even funny. They were just blatant stereotypical gangsters from various races thrown in because we need a giant gun battle with billions of faceless fuckers for Castle to kill in the climax, but our villains have lost all their henchmen to the first mass death scene we ran 5 minutes into the movie.

Hindenburg
Terracotta Army

Itto

Reply #39 on: April 28, 2009, 12:27:16 PM

They were just blatant stereotypical gangsters from various races
TBH, most gangsters are blatant stereotypes IRL.

"Who uses Outlook anyway?  People who get what they deserve, that's who." - Ard.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #40 on: April 28, 2009, 02:19:07 PM

Except Tommy Lee Jones didn't play Two-Face with profanity and mayhem. Jigsaw had all the mayhem, gore and profanity that Garth Ennis writes, but without his talent, i.e. Jones' Two-Face.

As for the racial stereotypes, they weren't even funny. They were just blatant stereotypical gangsters from various races thrown in because we need a giant gun battle with billions of faceless fuckers for Castle to kill in the climax, but our villains have lost all their henchmen to the first mass death scene we ran 5 minutes into the movie.

Dominic West is just as good an actor as Tommy Lee Jones. I don't wtf you guys are on. Watch the Wire.

Jigsaw is a character to have fun with, and I think he did it well. Very much in the spirit of Ennis' writing, which is about as about as ridiculous carictured and campy as it gets. Not high art folks. Not his Punisher stuff or Preacher.
justdave
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: April 29, 2009, 12:55:06 PM

Am I alone in liking the first one?

Thomas Jane

Does not compute. Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

"They started to resist with a crust that was welded with human brain and willpower."
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: April 29, 2009, 01:28:10 PM

Forgive him for he knows not what he says.

First one I liked though it didn't have the Punisher grit.

justdave
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: April 29, 2009, 02:21:07 PM

I don't think it's possible to make a gritty film with Dolph in it. Now, if that had been Kurt Russel...that could have been good times.

"They started to resist with a crust that was welded with human brain and willpower."
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Punisher  
Jump to: