Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:48:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  News  |  Topic: Persona 4//Atlus - Review - PS2 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Persona 4//Atlus - Review - PS2  (Read 57543 times)
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #35 on: December 29, 2008, 05:18:01 PM

Once you've maxed his S-Link it becomes more manageable, but I always found myself with a shortage of yen and the fox was never worth it.  Plus, as I said before Cool Breeze is the shit.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: December 29, 2008, 11:10:05 PM

Loving the shit out of this game.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

My grinding strategy has been to grab a persona with Invigorate 2, which heals 5sp for the main character every round in battle. I then use mostly physical attacks with the other 3, nuking and healing with the main as necessary. I first had the Invigorate on a crappy healer persona, but managed to fuse it onto a physical powerhouse so it's going much better now.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: December 30, 2008, 05:51:58 AM

Once you've maxed his S-Link it becomes more manageable, but I always found myself with a shortage of yen and the fox was never worth it.  Plus, as I said before Cool Breeze is the shit.

I've got over 300,000 yen right now. Cool Breeze rocks but only for me mc and only if I stick with the personae it's on and I tend to do a lot of going for weaknesses in battles. Also, my other characters tend to run out of SP about 3/4ths of the way through a dungeon.

I got an ending last night. I would tell you guys about it but I can't post spoilers here for some reason. Let's say I'm pretty sure it's a bad ending or at most a neutral ending and I skipped over about 6 months of gametime after what happened and so a lot of stuff went unresolved.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #38 on: December 30, 2008, 06:00:35 AM

Getting the good ending is actually pretty tricky.

Hint: there is always something unresolved.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: December 30, 2008, 06:19:01 AM

Getting the good ending is actually pretty tricky.

Hint: there is always something unresolved.

In this endings case literally everything was unresolved. The fool social link stayed at 9, Teddie left, I never found out why certain things started happening in November. About all I got was the satisfaction of killing a person who angered me.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
schild
Administrator

Reply #40 on: December 30, 2008, 11:54:31 AM

Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #41 on: December 31, 2008, 04:15:48 PM

There's tons of funny shit in this game. A recent one for me is Kanji threatening to beat up Yosuke for again implying he is gay.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Arinon
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: January 01, 2009, 08:57:28 PM

This game is great.  Just finished it up tonight with the big long involved ending after the ending route.  Pretty much every issue I had with Persona 3 (which I still loved and picked up after reading a lot of positive shit on this board) was fixed or adjusted.  Not a big fan of Teddie though as a character and as a combatant. At least I could backseat him once Rise took over the support role.

I got many more links done without FAQing it up compared to 3 but just like last time I'm kinda wishing I followed a link guide because some of the ones I left at 5-6 could have been interesting.  Then again that ruins all the fun.  I'm tempted to give FES a go once I'm ready for this sort of game again.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: January 05, 2009, 11:58:11 AM

I got many more links done without FAQing it up compared to 3 but just like last time I'm kinda wishing I followed a link guide because some of the ones I left at 5-6 could have been interesting.  Then again that ruins all the fun.  I'm tempted to give FES a go once I'm ready for this sort of game again.

FES is definitely worth it if only for the add-on epilogue storyline.

I finished this too and was quite happy. I felt like they wussed out with one particular character's fate. It felt very hollywood to me but eh...I'll let them get away with it.

I'm now back to replaying Final Fantasy X to see if I can actually be arsed to finish it this time and then I've got err...some kind of new PS2 RPG my daughter got me. Ar Tonelico or Atlier Iris. I literally can't remember which one. I think it's Atlier Iris 2 but I'm not 100% positive about that.

BTW, going back and playing a Final Fantasy after SMT? Rough. I keep chafing at how linear things are and how little I'm in charge of my interactions with NPCs.

Hindenburg
Terracotta Army

Itto

Reply #44 on: January 05, 2009, 12:34:35 PM

Go play Nocturne, then.

It's like Persona, only with more completely awesome.

"Who uses Outlook anyway?  People who get what they deserve, that's who." - Ard.
schild
Administrator

Reply #45 on: January 05, 2009, 12:36:00 PM

Go play Nocturne, then.

It's like Persona except 3 times as difficult and 3 times as repetitive. It's still completely awesome. And I'm pretty sure he's played it.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: January 05, 2009, 01:28:48 PM

Go play Nocturne, then.

It's like Persona except 3 times as difficult and 3 times as repetitive. It's still completely awesome. And I'm pretty sure he's played it.

Not yet. My major SMT exposure comes through the Personas and Digital Devil Saga.

schild
Administrator

Reply #47 on: January 05, 2009, 01:31:49 PM

Go play Nocturne, then.

Not yet. My major SMT exposure comes through the Personas and Digital Devil Saga.
It's a brutal, mean, son of a whore that requires about 5 times more grinding than any other Atlus game. Megaten mainline titles are just mean.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: January 05, 2009, 01:58:29 PM

It's a brutal, mean, son of a whore that requires about 5 times more grinding than any other Atlus game. Megaten mainline titles are just mean.

Unfortunately as I get older I have less patience with grinding so that probably rules it out for me.

Phildo
Contributor

Reply #49 on: January 05, 2009, 04:14:38 PM

I played Nocturne first and it burnt me out very quickly.  That's not to say I wouldn't enjoy it now that I know the system and am prepared for it, but I didn't like it when it was released.
Hindenburg
Terracotta Army

Itto

Reply #50 on: January 05, 2009, 04:45:45 PM

It's not that bad. Plus, the story is way better, and the press turn system is simply more interesting.
It doesn't require much grinding.
Maybe 4 levels for Matador, early in the game, and that's that. Lucifer is a pussy.

"Who uses Outlook anyway?  People who get what they deserve, that's who." - Ard.
Lounge
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: January 05, 2009, 07:40:10 PM

It's not that bad. Plus, the story is way better, and the press turn system is simply more interesting.
It doesn't require much grinding.
Maybe 4 levels for Matador, early in the game, and that's that. Lucifer is a pussy.

The Matador was a motherfucker...  I just wrapped up a play-through on Nocturne and did the first 3 labyrinth levels as soon as they unlocked.  It leveled me up enough to where most fights were easily winnable.  If you consider the labyrinth grinding then yeah i guess you have to do a lot.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  News  |  Topic: Persona 4//Atlus - Review - PS2  
Jump to: