Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:51:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  News  |  Topic: Persona 4//Atlus - Review - PS2 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Persona 4//Atlus - Review - PS2  (Read 57548 times)
ForumBot 0.8 beta
Terracotta Army

on: December 09, 2008, 01:44:23 PM

Persona 4//Atlus - Review - PS2

Let's talk about Persona 4. It's a game that I've been anticipating with excitement since I first heard of its announcement, and that is a rare thing because any gamer that follows release announcements knows that anticipation is so often the kiss of death for fun. I'm happy to report that Persona 4 did not disappoint and that I have been playing it with a fervor that no Japanese RPG has left me with for quite some time.

» Read More
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 02:30:04 PM

/salivate

I'm hoping my copy is on my doorstep when I get home in about 30 minutes. I'm supposed to help put up the Christmas Tree but I'm trying to figure out a way to play P4 instead.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008, 02:52:31 PM

Hooked up the PS2 for this.  Yay.  I got a free art book too at Gamestop, but it looks like they spilled something on it.  Smells like pesticides.

-Rasix
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #3 on: December 12, 2008, 04:43:03 AM

It's worth mentioning that this game has a LOT of content.  I've logged about 75 hours so far and there's still quite a lot to do.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: December 12, 2008, 11:58:48 AM

Ok. I've played about 6-8 hours.

I like what they've done with most aspects of the game. I'm playing on pussy (beginner difficulty) my first time through and I'm glad I did as even rescuing my first person was a bitch after I slogged my way through the dungeon.

If I have any complaints it's that I'm not as fond of the NPCs as I was in P3. There is something...missing. It seemed like all of the NPCs in P3 had definable personality quirks that made them stand out. But I'm very, very early in so maybe things will improve in the characterization area.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
schild
Administrator

Reply #5 on: December 12, 2008, 12:28:10 PM

But I'm very, very early in so maybe things will improve in the characterization area.

They do.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #6 on: December 12, 2008, 02:53:37 PM

Play this game for Teddie.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #7 on: December 14, 2008, 07:00:40 PM

Play this game - For the Awesome! awesome, for real

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: December 15, 2008, 06:24:21 AM

Teddie's about the only thing I don't like. I'm a little further in it. I went back about 10 days in gameplay to improve a stat that I wanted higher before one of the events or I'd be even further. The characters are definitely starting to grow on me more. Chie kind of reminds me of the Team Captain from P3 and she was one of my favorite "side romances". I like Yukiko too and am quite happy I just flat out asked for her cell phone number. *Yay courage!* I'm splitting my time between this game and LOTRO or I'd be further.

schild
Administrator

Reply #9 on: December 15, 2008, 09:45:37 AM

Teddie's about the only thing I don't like. I'm a little further in it. I went back about 10 days in gameplay to improve a stat that I wanted higher before one of the events or I'd be even further. The characters are definitely starting to grow on me more. Chie kind of reminds me of the Team Captain from P3 and she was one of my favorite "side romances". I like Yukiko too and am quite happy I just flat out asked for her cell phone number. *Yay courage!* I'm splitting my time between this game and LOTRO or I'd be further.
You don't know it yet, but you're playing the game for Teddie.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: December 15, 2008, 12:11:35 PM

Well, my Teddie stuffed animal is propped next to the PS3 and stares at me the whole time I play. (Yeah, I'm the nerd who bought the Amazon "Social Link Expansion Pack".

Phildo
Contributor

Reply #11 on: December 15, 2008, 01:39:38 PM

Aaaaaaalmost done with this now.  Don't be alarmed, but I've logged 98 hours.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: December 15, 2008, 01:54:14 PM

Aaaaaaalmost done with this now.  Don't be alarmed, but I've logged 98 hours.

In the last 58ish hours you've played that game for 24?

How many socks did you fill?

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
schild
Administrator

Reply #13 on: December 15, 2008, 01:55:07 PM

We have a PS3 in the bathroom.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: December 15, 2008, 03:55:14 PM

We have a PS3 in the bathroom.
Of course you do, what was I thinking?

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Strazos

Reply #15 on: December 15, 2008, 08:03:19 PM

Curious - any chance someone has a wallpaper-sized version of the headline pic? awesome, for real

Also...this game is just all-out superior to P3. Almost makes it look like amateur hour.

spoiler: But 3 or 4 endings? Really? Damnit Atlus! /spoiler

PS: for some reason, I don't have permission to use big-boy spoilers.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
Rasix

Reply #16 on: December 18, 2008, 09:34:03 AM

First bonus boss is HARD.  Well, not exactly hard, but it'll fucking one shot you when you get to half health unless you have a particular spell or have leveled quite a bit more than you'd need for the first regular boss.

Still, this game is amazing.  There's just so much to do.

-Rasix
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #17 on: December 21, 2008, 07:11:26 PM

stocking stuffer ahoy.  Thx for the write-up.
schild
Administrator

Reply #18 on: December 21, 2008, 07:16:21 PM

Wallpaper sized? Hmm...

Phildo
Contributor

Reply #19 on: December 21, 2008, 07:32:02 PM

Most of the bosses in this game are tough, and I played it on normal difficulty.  I found the second dungeon to be the hardest in the game, by the way.  After you learn the skill Cool Breeze (small HP/SP recovery after battle) and spam it to a few personas leveling up and grinding yen becomes much easier.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: December 22, 2008, 06:27:56 AM

I'm glad to hear that. The second dungeon was kind of a bitch and I was wondering if they'd made the game that much harder. I'm probably a few days in-game from going into the third dungeon. The next victim has been introduced but I haven't seen her appearance on the midnight hour yet.

I need to go to gamefaqs and find myself a persona fusing guide I think. So far, I haven't managed to get myself any cool personae. Where do you get this Cool Breeze skill from?

schild
Administrator

Reply #21 on: December 22, 2008, 06:28:48 AM

He just boarded a plane. But I think he got it at random from a fusion forecast, the lucky bastard. We didn't start seeing it again until the level 45s-50s. Heh.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: December 22, 2008, 06:51:52 AM

Hmmm...so in other words I need to start going by the velvet room every 2 days or so and checking the forecast?

schild
Administrator

Reply #23 on: December 22, 2008, 06:52:17 AM

Phil can be....obsessive about stat grinding.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #24 on: December 22, 2008, 10:13:43 AM

Nope, it's a natural skill on one of the personas from the common arcana (strength, magician, etc) around level 40.  And I didn't start using a fusion guide until level 60 or so.
Strazos

Reply #25 on: December 23, 2008, 08:31:14 PM

The first bonus boss is a bitch...I could kill him if he wouldn't randomly kill off 1-4 party members with Rampage.

Guess I'll grind u for an hour and try again.

Fear the Backstab!
Rasix

Reply #26 on: December 23, 2008, 09:25:42 PM

The first bonus boss is a bitch...I could kill him if he wouldn't randomly kill off 1-4 party members with Rampage.

Guess I'll grind u for an hour and try again.

I just killed him after the next boss.  When you're at around lvl 23 he hits for like 10 dmg on rampage.

-Rasix
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #27 on: December 23, 2008, 09:59:14 PM

That or you try to find a persona that's immune to physical and auto-attack.  I didn't go back to kill him until I was almost done with the second area.
Strazos

Reply #28 on: December 24, 2008, 10:26:04 AM

After some tinkering, I just went back in with a Jack Frost and beat him in a war of attrition at lvl 16/17. Debuff his accuracy/evasion, buff yourselves when you can, and I just had my main + Chie just cast Bufu/Mabufu constantly, Yosuke just buffing when he could or healing, and Yuki healing or guarding.

In the end I got him low enough to try to just burn him down with anything....then Yosuke goes and crits for one of those pile-on attacks.

BTW, the prize for beating this guy is just disgusting if you are sub-20.

Fear the Backstab!
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #29 on: December 24, 2008, 02:14:01 PM

Yeah, you get great shit from the optional bosses.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: December 28, 2008, 12:53:07 AM

Well, I'm alot further in now. Early September or so in the game. I'm using one of those max s-link guides mostly so I'll see most of the storylines in context.

Teddie...eh.I'm still not a fan even with his new "body". I like all the other characters and find some of the dialogue quite amusing.

My current pattern is doing the major dungeon stuff in one night with this pattern:

1) Get quest items
2) Clear out bonus boss from previous dungeon
3) Go kill current boss

I'm sure that's pretty much how you guys do it. I'm umm..40ish right now. I'm not sure if I'm in the sweet spot for levels or not. I'm going in to rescue the person that I believe is probably the last member of my team. I'm sort of stubbornly sticking with Yusoke, Yukiko and Chie as my fighting party.

Strazos

Reply #31 on: December 28, 2008, 01:35:03 AM

I clear the dungeons that way as well...makes doing the re-run of dungeon 2 + initial run of dungeon 3 a huge bitch. So happy I did the dungeon 3 boss encounter in 1 go. (yay for upright Judgement chance card)

Also what sucks is that since there are no more minibosses with teleport points, I don't remind myself to back out and save....kind of nerve wracking when you're on floor 10 and crap feels like throwing mudo/hama at you.

Fear the Backstab!
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #32 on: December 28, 2008, 02:43:49 AM

If you use a Goho M to leave the dungeon, or have a persona with Traesto, you can immediately return to the highest floor you climbed to.  The only exception to this is that once you beat an area, when you come back to kill the optional boss you need to go throw the dungeon one more time.

Also, fuck that price-gouging Fox.
Strazos

Reply #33 on: December 28, 2008, 04:00:03 PM

Yeah, I know, and it's a great feature...just one I forget to use.

And yeah, fuck that fox....28k to recharge my SP? pfffft

Fear the Backstab!
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: December 29, 2008, 07:55:22 AM

Actually, I use the fox alot. My current thing is to blow through the dungeon and when I get to the save point, heal up with the last of my SP, then use the fox to fill up and then go kick the bosses ass.

I'm in November now.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  News  |  Topic: Persona 4//Atlus - Review - PS2  
Jump to: