Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:59:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Face of Mankind, Third time is the charm? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Face of Mankind, Third time is the charm?  (Read 14781 times)
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

on: December 02, 2008, 12:04:12 PM

www.faceofmankind.com

awesome, for real

Berlin, Germany - December 1, 2008 - Duplex Systems and Nexeon Technologies proudly announce that Duplex Systems' massively multiplayer action RPG "Face of Mankind" will be launched again in a joint cooperation.
After the server shutdown in late November 2007 and Duplex Systems' former publisher Ojom GmbH leaving the project, their developers were facing difficult times. Despite all the obstacles, work on the project forged ahead during the entire time. The networking and server technologies were rebuilt from scratch, featuring new networking technology and a completely rewritten server.

In an effort to bring back Face of Mankind to the public, Duplex Systems secured the complete rights to all assets needed to operate and distribute their MMO independently. To divide work force and concentrate on developing, improving and operating the game, Duplex Systems has partnered with Nexeon Technologies, a company with a wealth of professional expertise in game services and server hosting. Nexeon will provide billing services, server hosting and operating forums for Face of Mankind. Due to the newly developed server architecture, the Face of Mankind servers will be located both in North America and Western Europe, while still being one single persistent universe.    
"It has been a pleasure working cooperatively with Duplex Systems on the Face of Mankind project so far; we are looking forward to helping with the advancement of the game in order to make it an overall success. We plan on offering seamless billing solutions and quality servers worldwide to help ensure this success." Nexeon Technologies

Some previously unannounced features and changes will debut in this Face of Mankind re-launch. The developers spent significant time on rethinking all game features in order to realize their original vision of a completely player-driven MMOG with real-time combat.
Some features had to be removed, while others had to be improved or expanded. Professions and squads were dropped and the concept of missions, campaigns and objectives has been simplified. Item handling, mining, production and the markets have received a complete revision as well. Plus, world takeover (previously known as colony takeover) has been improved to make it more exciting.
All these changes had a final goal to focus everything on the ultimate Faction vs. Faction Face of Mankind experience offering a huge amount of player freedom.    "It has always been my original vision to create an online game in which you could become everything by using your own skills, regardless of character levels or classes. In Face of Mankind you can even become the leader of one of its 8 factions, without being a game master. Everything is possible; you just need to fight your way up the ladder. How you achieve that is totally up to you." said Marko Dieckmann, Managing Director of Duplex Systems,

"It's that kind of freedom that makes Face of Mankind attractive to all those who want more than the current MMOG uniformity has to offer."

Along with the Face of Mankind re-launch comes a new marketing concept. Free accounts will be available for everyone. These free accounts are without time limitation. However, additional features and options are available for subscribers. These premium accounts will be available at a low rate, which is yet to be announced.

Watch out for new developments and register your free account now at www.faceofmankind.com or www.fomportal.com. Also check out the forums at forum.fomportal.com.

EDIT:
I added the info about what it diffrent this time. Not sure about specifics, but perhaps they have learned a few things this go around?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 06:37:09 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008, 12:07:57 PM

paging Haemish
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008, 12:10:28 PM

Who keeps giving these chucklefucks money?

schild
Administrator

Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008, 12:12:02 PM

OH WOW
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: December 02, 2008, 12:15:23 PM

While loading up the media page at the main site, my spyware/av went apeshit.

Use at your own peril.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: December 02, 2008, 12:23:15 PM

While loading up the media page at the main site, my spyware/av went apeshit.

Use at your own peril.

I didn't have a problem...

EDIT: they do have google-analytics on it.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 12:25:09 PM by Mrbloodworth »

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: December 02, 2008, 12:29:30 PM

Whatever "Actns/Swif.T" is, my spyware/av doesn't like it.
Goreschach
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: December 02, 2008, 12:34:49 PM

So I don't suppose anyone would want to bother explaining to the new guy just what the fuck is going on?
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #8 on: December 02, 2008, 12:35:39 PM

Google says Actns/Swif.T is a virus.  /failmote
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: December 02, 2008, 12:36:19 PM

Google says Actns/Swif.T is a virus.  /failmote

Its from youtube. The video is linked from youtube.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #10 on: December 02, 2008, 03:19:35 PM

Heh. Another game which was AWESOME, on paper.

garthilk
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: December 02, 2008, 04:07:00 PM

Why do developers even bother sometime, I guess I get it, but then something like this comes along and I get confused.

Building and Destorying the Truth in Equal Measure
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: December 02, 2008, 06:46:52 PM

hmmm... i dont know if I can have my heart broken again with this one.   Heartbreak  FoM was on my radar since EnB and was a huge disappointment.  When it shut down I was of the thought it could be done right and I'm glad they're having another go at it... but dang.  For real?  I see they're simplifying things, which is good... focus on the player-made missions, good.  If they just make it more engaging initially, polish it up, and perhaps give their original plan of a truly player-made economy a shot they might have something.

Sooo... I guess this genre has Global Agenda and FoM to carry its torch - sad.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: December 03, 2008, 06:39:50 AM

Due to gambits comments, i added the press releace that tipped me off the to the relaunch, it talks about (in a very broad manner) some of the things that they have changed for this time around. YMMV.

Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: December 03, 2008, 08:54:28 PM

M7 Radio is up (special show tonite)
http://www.m7radio.com/

[actually not a bad DJ on right now]
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 09:02:11 PM by Ghambit »

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: January 06, 2009, 09:57:46 AM

Just wanted to post the link to the long description of what the changes are for this revival of the game.

IMO, i think they are learning, and could possibly be onto something, IF they can get over all the negative hype/record/publicity/history they have.

tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #16 on: January 06, 2009, 11:19:22 AM

I like the asymmetry of the Dominion factions.  Looks "meaningful" to me.

Dynamical generated player objectives based on stated faction objectives looks interesting.

"Me am play gods"
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: January 06, 2009, 11:26:03 AM

I have to say, the mission system they had was very cool (in the original beta).

Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: November 09, 2009, 10:30:51 PM

Been a long time comin...   

Hello Fommunity,

The waiting is over. It's time for Closed Beta 4.
This time it will be very simple for everyone. As of this moment, all Face of Mankind portal accounts who have validated their email address and activated the closed beta checkbox, have been selected for CB4.

It's under a strict schedule though, which sux for me due to work.  So check your emails the few of you who signed up oh so long ago.

NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #19 on: November 10, 2009, 08:19:26 AM

I can't wait for this to fail... again. Marko Dieckmann is a huge cunt and they used the word "Fommunity".
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: November 10, 2009, 08:26:32 AM

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #21 on: November 10, 2009, 10:09:15 AM

Why don't they just send out facefucking alien parasites by post? It'd still be more fun than this game.

NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #22 on: November 11, 2009, 05:34:50 AM

Who?

The guy who keeps bringing you the joys of FoM.
schild
Administrator

Reply #23 on: November 13, 2009, 09:21:29 AM

It's like Schiavo Online.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: December 06, 2009, 02:11:46 PM

Open Beta started yesterday...   aaaaand I've got work again
 swamp poop

Sooooo... NDA lifted?

Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: January 27, 2010, 10:29:50 PM

Did anyone try this damned thing out?
I got too many games to play...  please to someone being my labrat

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Face of Mankind, Third time is the charm?  
Jump to: