Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:02:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Game Design/Development  |  Topic: Why Are there no more Ravenloft or Dark Sun based RPGs? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why Are there no more Ravenloft or Dark Sun based RPGs?  (Read 3913 times)
MournelitheCalix
Terracotta Army

on: December 02, 2008, 10:51:47 AM

I have often wondered why there are no Ravenloft or Dark Sun based RPGs?  It seems like the worlds would be great for RPG development and the early games including Stone Prophet, Shattered Lands, and Wake of the Ravager seemed to be fairly big hits for their time in computer RPG gaming.  Most people speak favorably of those games even now as well.  So it has really got me wondering, why haven't developers taken a look at D&D settings outside of the Forgotten Realms and Greyhawk to do RPGs in?

Thank you to the developers/insiders in the know in advance.

Born too late to explore the new world.
Born too early to explore the universe.
Born just in time to see liberty die.
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008, 11:51:30 AM

I would guess that there are expectations for a D&D title - both from WotC and D&D fans. Ravenloft and Darksun don't really fit those expectations, both are too 'non-canon' for the D&D faithful. Same with Spelljammer or Council of Wyrms.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008, 11:54:59 AM

I have often wondered why there are no Ravenloft or Dark Sun based RPGs?  It seems like the worlds would be great for RPG development and the early games including Stone Prophet, Shattered Lands, and Wake of the Ravager seemed to be fairly big hits for their time in computer RPG gaming.  Most people speak favorably of those games even now as well.  So it has really got me wondering, why haven't developers taken a look at D&D settings outside of the Forgotten Realms and Greyhawk to do RPGs in?

Thank you to the developers/insiders in the know in advance.

WotC doesn't support them currently, which is probably the main part of why they're not licensing them, and also means there are very few people out there for whom these settings would be big purchase drivers. Might as well make up your own IP rather than paying for one that doesn't really come with any customers attached. There also may be some exclusivity clauses in the contracts with the people who *can* make D&D-branded games right now stopping WotC from licensing D&D stuff to other companies as well.

Also I think you might be overstating how successful those games were. My recollection is that they were pretty weak and only tenuously connected to the D&D brand.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
schild
Administrator

Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008, 12:00:56 PM

/obligatory.

Planescape.

We don't have a :pourouta40: emote.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #4 on: December 02, 2008, 12:08:31 PM

There was a Dark Sun CRPG and an online version as well.
MournelitheCalix
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: December 02, 2008, 12:26:48 PM

I would guess that there are expectations for a D&D title - both from WotC and D&D fans. Ravenloft and Darksun don't really fit those expectations, both are too 'non-canon' for the D&D faithful.

I find that interesting because the non-canon label wouldn't that be more liberating for a game designer?  Doesn't this essentially give you creative freedom within the world?

Edited:
Sorry Purgatorio looks to be dead
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 12:51:47 PM by MournelitheCalix »

Born too late to explore the new world.
Born too early to explore the universe.
Born just in time to see liberty die.
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #6 on: December 02, 2008, 12:36:57 PM

I would guess that there are expectations for a D&D title - both from WotC and D&D fans. Ravenloft and Darksun don't really fit those expectations, both are too 'non-canon' for the D&D faithful.

I find that interesting because the non-canon label wouldn't that be more liberating for a game designer?  Doesn't this essentially give you creative freedom within the world?
It would but freedom is the enemy of IP. Why licence an IP if you intend to create most of it from whole cloth anyway? Also from WotC's pov, why would they licence the D&D brand without leveraging that as far as possible - to most people D&D is classic high fantasy not gothic fantasy horror or eco-lecturing.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #7 on: December 02, 2008, 03:07:22 PM

It would but freedom is the enemy of IP. Why licence an IP if you intend to create most of it from whole cloth anyway? Also from WotC's pov, why would they licence the D&D brand without leveraging that as far as possible - to most people D&D is classic high fantasy not gothic fantasy horror or eco-lecturing.

And even more, it is the underlying game system. WotC has a pretty strong interest in maintaining the D&D settings as something tied to whatever their current mechanics are.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Cylus
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: December 02, 2008, 06:08:35 PM

/obligatory.

Planescape.

The Planescape IP required a cool 5 or 10 million as of '02/'03; the latter strikes me as the # that I was told by someone that looked into it (hint: the City of Doors) but I could have easily altered it in my mind since then. 
schild
Administrator

Reply #9 on: December 02, 2008, 06:10:26 PM

/obligatory.

Planescape.

The Planescape IP required a cool 5 or 10 million as of '02/'03; the latter strikes me as the # that I was told by someone that looked into it (hint: the City of Doors) but I could have easily altered it in my mind since then. 
Had I the money, I'd buy it.
Cylus
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: December 02, 2008, 06:16:36 PM

Had I the money, I'd buy it.
Same.  That'd be one of the few IPs that I'd consider hazarding the MMO industry again to work on.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 06:18:18 PM by Cylus »
Grimwell
Developers

[Redacted]

Reply #11 on: December 04, 2008, 06:27:30 PM

Wizards has been sitting on viable dead IP's for years.

They only want games for the active properties, which makes sense. It's my hunch that they don't want the other old ones to come back and compete against theirs, so why sell them and all that.

Grimwell
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Game Design/Development  |  Topic: Why Are there no more Ravenloft or Dark Sun based RPGs?  
Jump to: