Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:07:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: 2008 MLS Expansion Draft 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2008 MLS Expansion Draft  (Read 6730 times)
sidereal
Contributor

on: November 26, 2008, 11:50:14 AM

For those who follow the Ugly American version of the Beautiful Game, the Expansion Draft is going off right now and the results will be announced in about 10 minutes, so we Sounders fans can finally have a full team to bitch about.

Here's some predictions:
MLSSeattle
DCUMD
Climbing the Ladder

Jaqua seems to be a lock.  I'll take it.

THIS IS THE MOST I HAVE EVERY WANTED TO GET IN TO A BETA
WayAbvPar

Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 02:43:44 PM

I am looking forward to watching some Sounder games. I hope they have a decent local TV package. Christ knows we need a break from the Mariners during the summer  swamp poop

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
sidereal
Contributor

Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008, 02:42:39 PM

First game is scheduled for March 19 at home against New York. 

The TV package is pretty good.  Every game that isn't picked up nationally will be broadcast on either KING or KONG.  And Calabro will do play by play.

WayAbvPar

Reply #3 on: December 03, 2008, 09:58:40 AM

Yeah, I heard KC is on board. So glad he told the Sonics Thunder to go fuck themselves.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
sidereal
Contributor

Reply #4 on: December 03, 2008, 10:54:24 AM

T minus 1 season until Thunder attendance drops permanently below Sonics 2007 (pre lame-duck) attendance of 15,955.

sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: December 03, 2008, 11:43:41 AM

Does my heart good to see MLS talk here.

Talk in Houston, other than are we going to get our downtown stadium or aren't we is this.

Dane Richards in the playoffs and  just about everyone on UNAM Pumas showed Dynamo as being old and sloooooooooow.

We lost Jaqua, but that's not a terrible loss, to Sounders. Do we get a DP striker? Also, we need speed. We have stewie holden and Rico Clark in the midfield which is a plus. However we have Bobby Boswell, who sucks.  We need some speed.

There's a couple of promising players in the academy, but more seasoning is needed.

Round of 16 for CONCACAF champions is next February.  Hopefully the Dynamo will progress. Hoping for one of the two USL teams, but will probably get Marathon or Atlante.

also your fucking field turf up there is an abomination. You're Toronto west.  Having said that, I'm going to go catch a game up in Toronto this year.

Who here is just picking up MLS? I can point out some guys to root  against. :-D

sidereal
Contributor

Reply #6 on: December 03, 2008, 12:37:25 PM

Thanks for Jaqua!  I'll be picking up a jersey when they're actually available.  Everyone else seems to be agitating for Ljungberg kits, but . . uh. . no.

I used to be a mild Colorado fan, and am still a Bouna Coundoul fan.  Wouldn't mind seeing that pickup after Keller finally gives it up.

Field turf is horrible, but it's worth it to play at Qwest field.  If the Sounders want grass, they'd have been playing down in Tacoma somewhere.

Pig Destroyer
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: December 03, 2008, 12:50:02 PM

Wow...an MLS Thread!

Long time Columbus Crew Season ticket holder here.  I am hoping for a repeat next year  awesome, for real

I didn't even know that there was going to be an expansion team this year, good for Seattle, AND they're sponsored by Microsoft.  Kick ass, maybe one day we can have relegation and multiple leagues and all that fancy shit.

/dreaming

My knuckles are bleeding, on your front door...

~Pig Destroyer

http://www.wtfman.com
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #8 on: December 03, 2008, 01:11:41 PM

Unfortunately, I don't think the US market would ever do relegation. Shame really, but it's just not in our nature.

WayAbvPar

Reply #9 on: December 03, 2008, 01:16:09 PM

True. I was thinking about that the other day in baseball terms. The Mariners would have been relegated to AAA if that system was in place. With all the CBAs and TV deals and whatnot, it would never work. It would have to grow organically like the club system did in Europe.

sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: December 03, 2008, 01:21:42 PM

well, Haemish is a sad Fire fan, but that's just cause Mapp is his boy or sommat.

Ljungberg is going to be a flop. Fucking Letoux will be more productive than him. That's a namedropper pick.

MLS Quality is going up, but we're losing stars to Denmark and shit Hopefully revenue will make some small inroads during the recession.

Many teams are developing strong supporters groups. in fact the only ones who don't  are Dallas (inferno sucks ass) Colorado and Salt Lake. But I think RSL will do well with the new stadium.

Crew goes as far as Schelotto. That was the best signing possibly in league history other than Moreno at United.

I take it you're not a Supporter, PD? You know Ultras, or Nordecke or the others?

Seattle in 09. Philly in 10. They just started stadium construction. Probably Saint Louis or Portland along with Miami in 11.  Miami will be half owned by Barcelona FC. And then they really need to stop and let there be enough american players to  fill roles and not  turn the already spotty gameplay to total shit.

Having said that, These are the golden years. The league looks promising, the future looks bright, and it hasn't been sucked into the cesspit of the mainstream. You can go to a game for cheap and see some brilliant moments (mixed in the mediocrity).  You can be a supporter of a team and be a part of making tradition instead of following it. From a fans point of view, it's only going to get worse.
sidereal
Contributor

Reply #11 on: December 03, 2008, 01:27:57 PM

I saw an interview with a couple of English soccer mucky-mucks and they basically said that if you started the Prem from scratch today there's no way relegation and promotion would be part of it.  There's just way too much money at stake to justify it for the teams currently at the top.  It only exists because it's part of a tradition that started way, way back when the financial consequences were much smaller.

I suspect the MLS is already way past the financial point where relegation could be considered.  There just isn't enough depth in the fanbase for a team to survive relegation.

That said, USL has promotion (USL-2 to USL-1) now, and I believe they're going to have relegation setup in the next few seasons, probably involving the PDL as well.

sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: December 03, 2008, 01:28:56 PM

Unfortunately, I don't think the US market would ever do relegation. Shame really, but it's just not in our nature.

Not only that, it would be league suicide.

Take for example this scenario.

MLS and USL 1 and 2 from a three league structure.

MLS has a franchise fee of , it's probably going to be 50 million per for the next two, plus soccer specific stadium. There's a lot of anger that Seattle got in with Qwest, especially in San Jose.

with pro/rel : You'd make a team for  one million, rent a stadium load it up with talent and just hop into the league for a tenth of the cost.

You don't need it  to make things entertaining though,  Mexico has almost nonexistant   pro/rel and they do quite well.

MLS needs cash, and anyway they can get it and not fuck up the already uneven product is fine by me.
sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: December 03, 2008, 01:32:55 PM

I saw an interview with a couple of English soccer mucky-mucks and they basically said that if you started the Prem from scratch today there's no way relegation and promotion would be part of it.  There's just way too much money at stake to justify it for the teams currently at the top.  It only exists because it's part of a tradition that started way, way back when the financial consequences were much smaller.

I suspect the MLS is already way past the financial point where relegation could be considered.  There just isn't enough depth in the fanbase for a team to survive relegation.

That said, USL has promotion (USL-2 to USL-1) now, and I believe they're going to have relegation setup in the next few seasons, probably involving the PDL as well.
The Day Manchester United gets relegated is the day you see this pro rel shit get sidelined. Just as soon as they got promoted again. :-D You want to talk a relegation battle? Be  in the one  in the last season before they lock the premier league.

Sorry bout the back to back action there...
sidereal
Contributor

Reply #14 on: December 03, 2008, 01:39:37 PM

Newcastle going down this year would be a fine test

sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: December 03, 2008, 01:50:30 PM

Seriously think the shine is just about completely off them. I'd see it like Spurs dropping.  A "wow, they really do suck now" moment. But of all the teams, particularly the big four, I think the league could survive a drop by Chelsea, 'Pool or Arsenal. Man U? Too much tradition combined with sheer size. But, if Serie A can Take Juventus dropping, I guess Premiere league could too.
Pig Destroyer
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: December 03, 2008, 07:19:05 PM

well, Haemish is a sad Fire fan, but that's just cause Mapp is his boy or sommat.

Ljungberg is going to be a flop. Fucking Letoux will be more productive than him. That's a namedropper pick.

MLS Quality is going up, but we're losing stars to Denmark and shit Hopefully revenue will make some small inroads during the recession.

Many teams are developing strong supporters groups. in fact the only ones who don't  are Dallas (inferno sucks ass) Colorado and Salt Lake. But I think RSL will do well with the new stadium.

Crew goes as far as Schelotto. That was the best signing possibly in league history other than Moreno at United.

I take it you're not a Supporter, PD? You know Ultras, or Nordecke or the others?

Seattle in 09. Philly in 10. They just started stadium construction. Probably Saint Louis or Portland along with Miami in 11.  Miami will be half owned by Barcelona FC. And then they really need to stop and let there be enough american players to  fill roles and not  turn the already spotty gameplay to total shit.

Having said that, These are the golden years. The league looks promising, the future looks bright, and it hasn't been sucked into the cesspit of the mainstream. You can go to a game for cheap and see some brilliant moments (mixed in the mediocrity).  You can be a supporter of a team and be a part of making tradition instead of following it. From a fans point of view, it's only going to get worse.

Poor Haemish, Blanco is such a bitch.

I am not in one of the "supporter" groups for the Crew, no.  I sit about 2 sections away in the first row, so I get a close enough view for all their shenanigans.  They really are a fantastic bunch.

I agree 100% with the Schelotto signing, I don't know how in the holy hell it happened, but it did, and as far as I know he'll be back next year.

MLS is definitely starting to feel more like a "real" league for Soccer, especially with all the international talent we've been attracting lately.  The Argentinian folks especially enjoy actually GETTING their paychecks and all that.

I also agree that relegation doesn't really fit into today's advertising society, but it does present the best chance for competitive soccer in the states of any other system.  Right now Toronto for sure would be relegated.  That could also be the hate talking. :)

My knuckles are bleeding, on your front door...

~Pig Destroyer

http://www.wtfman.com
sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: December 04, 2008, 06:56:59 AM

Right now, MLS is starting to appear as between league one and two in England, although I'd contend that we'd more than hold our own against league one and lower premiership.

It's an interesting English/South American mix we've got going on.  We're also starting to see the second tier African players come here. If they can manage expectations while they continue to build the programs and academies, it'll be a good thing.

Seeing more soccer played in the streets and less in structured  leagues would be even better, but I'm starting to see that as well, even here in Podunkville.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #18 on: December 04, 2008, 08:21:24 AM

I'd put some of the better MLS teams up against the lower Championship sides myself. Outfits like Doncaster or Nottingham Forest would have a tough time against the Crew or the Revolution or the Fire when those teams are on form.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: 2008 MLS Expansion Draft  
Jump to: