Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 09:54:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Xfire top 10 MMORPGs 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Xfire top 10 MMORPGs  (Read 14164 times)
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

on: November 19, 2008, 07:01:20 PM

(Wow, did I post this in the wrong subform. Can I get a move please?)

Hell, it's as good a metric as any.

Title; number of hours played; xfire rank; developer; publisher

World of Warcraft  419341
 #1  Blizzard Entertainment  Blizzard Entertainment 

Guild Wars  21195
 #8  ArenaNet  NCsoft

Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning  14848
 #13  EA Mythic  EA Games

The Lord of the Rings Online: Shadows of Angmar  10005
 #18  Turbine Inc.  Midway

Eve Online  9551
 #21  CCP  Simon & Schuster

Diablo II
Diablo II: Lord of Destruction 5441
 #37  Blizzard Entertainment  Blizzard Entertainment

Lineage II  4179
 #44  NCsoft  NCsoft

Second Life  3621
 #49  Linden Lab  Linden Lab

Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures  3479
 #51  Funcom  Eidos Interactive

Final Fantasy XI  2756
 #57  Square Enix  Sony Online

Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided
Star Wars Galaxies: The Jump to Lightspeed 2316
 #67  Sony Online Entertainment  LucasArts

City of Heroes  1759
 #87  Cryptic Studios  NCsoft

I threw D2 and Guild Wars in there on a whim.

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
tolakram
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: November 19, 2008, 07:16:28 PM

« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 07:18:21 PM by tolakram »
d4rkj3di
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 09:50:03 PM

I love how they still list Simon and Schuster as the publishers of EVE and list Sony Online as the publishers of Final Fantasy XI.

That's pretty much how relevant Xfire is. It's a good signature generator though.
schild
Administrator

Reply #3 on: November 19, 2008, 10:21:59 PM

Oh. I see what happened.

Edit: Didn't read the last bit. Second Life still isn't a game though.
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: November 19, 2008, 11:02:47 PM

I love how they still list Simon and Schuster as the publishers of EVE and list Sony Online as the publishers of Final Fantasy XI.

That's pretty much how relevant Xfire is. It's a good signature generator though.

Meh. XFire is about linking gamers up. (Whether it accomplishes that goal is another topic.) Not keeping track of who's been bought out by EA yesterday.

I do think that the amount of hours played is a better indicator of subscriber bases than actual subscriber numbers.

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
Xuri
Terracotta Army

몇살이세욬ㅋ 몇살이 몇살 몇살이세욬ㅋ!!!!!1!

Reply #5 on: November 20, 2008, 02:52:15 AM

I didn't even know Xfire existed until about two months ago, and I've been playing MMO(RP)Gs and online FPS games since 1997. *shrug*

-= Ho Eyo He Hum =-
FatuousTwat
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: November 20, 2008, 04:40:06 AM

I signed up in 2004 (I think) and really don't use it at all. It isn't worth having another app running, and it doesn't mesh well with IM consolidation apps.

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: November 20, 2008, 06:31:22 AM

That list seems pretty suspect for me. For instance, Diablo 2 should have a much, much higher number of hours played. I know people who still play it sometimes.

I'm also suspicious that Warhammer has a higher number of hours played than LOTRO. LOTRO had its issues but the game has had steady players for over a year.  Currently there are short queues to get onto a server.

Edit: Isn't that google trends basically the number of news stories and articles about the mmos and not subscriber numbers?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 06:33:16 AM by Riggswolfe »

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Jherad
Terracotta Army

I find Rachel Maddow seriously hot.

Reply #8 on: November 20, 2008, 06:57:01 AM

http://www.google.com/intl/en/trends/about.html

1. How does Google Trends work?

Google Trends analyzes a portion of Google web searches to compute how many searches have been done for the terms you enter, relative to the total number of searches done on Google over time. We then show you a graph with the results - our Search Volume Index graph.

Located beneath the Search Volume Index graph is our News reference volume graph. This graph shows you the number of times your topic appeared in Google News stories. When Google Trends detects a spike in the volume of news stories for a particular search term, it labels the graph and displays the headline of an automatically selected Google News story written near the time of that spike. Currently, only English-language headlines are displayed, but we hope to support non-English headlines in the future.
schild
Administrator

Reply #9 on: November 20, 2008, 07:05:50 AM

The list itself is total useless bullshit. XFire caters to such a tiny, tiny, tiny subset of gamers that it's not even worth discussing in any sort of rational debate. It's a useless metric and I'm tired of seeing it on websites.

Google trends isn't very useful either unless you're trying to determine when and how hype builds up. Of course WoW is a monster, we don't need Google Trends or XFire to confirm that.

/shrug

Useless stats are useless.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: November 20, 2008, 07:12:32 AM

I'm also suspicious that Warhammer has a higher number of hours played than LOTRO. LOTRO had its issues but the game has had steady players for over a year.  Currently there are short queues to get onto a server.
My speculation is the same reason Eve is there, Xfire has a higher number of PVP gamers.

On google trends, I think you'd have to also add "WoW" to the terms, i search all the time for stuff but never use the full name. I don't think it accounts for that(?)

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: November 20, 2008, 07:38:36 AM

True. I never search for World of Warcraft, I search for WOW. I never search for Lord of the Rings Online, I search for LOTRO, and it's the same for all games. I don't think I've ever typed Warhammer Online for instance.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
tolakram
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: November 20, 2008, 08:20:40 AM

Edit: Isn't that google trends basically the number of news stories and articles about the mmos and not subscriber numbers?

Yes, but like all statistics you're counting on the trends.

xfire might not be popular but if the user base is fairly stable then the trend should be accurate.  Same with google trends, not everyone searches for a game on google but of those that do this is the trend.  The only time these trends might not reflect subscriber movement is if something happened to alter the sample base;  Mythic bans xfire or google stops allowing searches for World of Warcraft.

We know WoW is extremely popular and sure enough they score high on both xfire and google trends.

We know AoC started out popular and crashed quickly, and sure enough google trends shows that.

We know more people play on the weekends than during the week, and what do you know both xfire and google trends show this.

A 30 day closeup of google trends shows this better.

Warhammer, WoW, Guild Wars - 30 days

http://www.google.com/trends?q=warhammer+online%2C+world+of+warcraft%2C+guild+wars&ctab=0&geo=all&date=mtd&sort=0

So while raw numbers would not be accurate the trends should be.  If you see a downward trend then I think it's safe to say the number of players is dropping.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 08:22:42 AM by tolakram »
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: November 20, 2008, 08:49:56 AM

Oh good. And Xfire thread. Our conversion is now complete.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Xuri
Terracotta Army

몇살이세욬ㅋ 몇살이 몇살 몇살이세욬ㅋ!!!!!1!

Reply #14 on: November 20, 2008, 09:15:57 AM

Conversion to what? MMORPG.com? That's awesome.  awesome, for real

-= Ho Eyo He Hum =-
TheCastle
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: November 20, 2008, 09:26:29 AM

*scratches head*
number of hours played...?

You mean by the entire playerbase??

At the moment my head hurts attempting to find any direct relevance to any of these correlations.

Ill read up on how xfire works later today.. Or would I be wasting my time?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 09:28:01 AM by TheCastle »
schild
Administrator

Reply #16 on: November 20, 2008, 09:28:12 AM

You would be wasting your time. It's a useless metric.
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: November 20, 2008, 10:41:50 AM

*scratches head*
number of hours played...?

You mean by the entire playerbase??

At the moment my head hurts attempting to find any direct relevance to any of these correlations.

Ill read up on how xfire works later today.. Or would I be wasting my time?

Xire tracks how many hours it's users spend on games that are supported by the Xfire application.
From their own site, Xfire has 11 million users, and- as I type this- about 280k users online.
The "hours played" I believe is for the current week.

So it's tracking the users who play game whatever and also run Xfire in the background while they're playing.

Grimwell
Developers

[Redacted]

Reply #18 on: November 20, 2008, 12:12:08 PM

...and the number of hours played can be gamed easily in Xfire. It does not care if you get up and walk away AFK, or do things in another window while the game sits there.

Grimwell
TheCastle
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: November 20, 2008, 12:17:09 PM

Xire tracks how many hours it's users spend on games that are supported by the Xfire application.

I see now
Its a windows application that offers some interesting services and allows us to see what games people are playing while using the service.
Oddly enough, I didn't know about the service. You would have various issues if you were to try and use xfire as barometer for how popular a game is however.

In one case, one of the MMOs you mentioned has a large portion of its players on PS2, Xbox360, and PS3 and don't even speak English. Then you have a potentially even larger number of players who do not use xfire over people who do use xfire with in just the English speaking PC market.

I apologize if Xfire does have support for more languages.
The website and the download appear to only be in English.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 12:25:39 PM by TheCastle »
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #20 on: November 20, 2008, 12:20:44 PM

It also doesn't account for people who play multiple EVE sessions on one PC.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
d4rkj3di
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: November 20, 2008, 12:38:37 PM

I do think that the amount of hours played is a better indicator of subscriber bases than actual subscriber numbers.
Roll that around inside your head some more. Get back to us when you've spotted the batshit.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: November 20, 2008, 01:25:50 PM

It also doesn't account for self-selecting groups.  People in Game A tout it, so more of its players install it to be part of the 'in' crowd.  Players of Game B don't, so it does not have an equal proportion of adaption.

It can give trends amongst the people who do use it, but extrapolating outside of that group is fraught with problems.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #23 on: November 20, 2008, 01:40:59 PM

I really would have assumed Eq2 would have been in that list.  I'm guessing Eq2 players don't generally use xfire.  I know I don't. 
tolakram
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: November 20, 2008, 02:11:28 PM

Going to a sample of xfire pages and pulling player numbers rather than hours played.

Number of xfire clients (number of hours)

WOW - 100,716 (416,332)
GW - 8,399 (21,221)
WAR - 4,844 (14,403)
EVE - 3,224 (9,521)
CABAL - 2,777 (13,539) <--  grind fest? 
LotRO - 2,639 (12,766)
DII - 2,251 (5,728)
AoC - 909 (3,655)
EQII - 471 (687)

I still say the trends are valid regardless of the ability to game the system.  The numbers are derived the same way for each game and the 'gaming' of the system should be fairly consistent.  I would agree that trying to derive specific numbers from xfire is foolish and you can't say with any certainty that EVE has more players than LotRO because we don't know if, for example, EVE players are more apt to use xfire or not.

Unfortunately there's no mistaking the fact that WoW is #1.  :(

edit:  for fun I added hours played next to number of players
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 02:19:23 PM by tolakram »
TheCastle
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: November 20, 2008, 02:42:16 PM

I still say the trends are valid regardless of the ability to game the system.

What about sales figures and subscription numbers?
tolakram
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: November 20, 2008, 03:33:08 PM

I still say the trends are valid regardless of the ability to game the system.

What about sales figures and subscription numbers?

Not sure what you're asking.  These numbers have no direct correlation to subscription numbers, but I believe if you see these numbers dropping and the google trend numbers dropping you can expect subscription numbers to fall or flatline soon enough.
TheCastle
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: November 20, 2008, 04:27:40 PM

actually sorry about that.
My last question was a bit of a mistake.
That was one of those questions I asked and then realized I already knew the answer but did not have enough time to come back and correct my mistake before you responded.

I agree with you on being able to see trends with xfire though. Not so much with subscription numbers or sales figures. Though sales figures and subscription numbers do tend to follow trends I think it is apples and oranges compared to how often the games are played and when. Its pretty interesting indeed.

Things like people playing more often on the weekends or holidays ect can be quite useful information for some people especially advertising companies interested in doing in game advertising.

Not sure what you're asking.  These numbers have no direct correlation to subscription numbers, but I believe if you see these numbers dropping and the google trend numbers dropping you can expect subscription numbers to fall or flatline soon enough.

Hmm I would also hold some off beat answer suspect like X game gets a better communication solution implemented in the game itself omitting the need for the benefits that xfire has to offer. You might see this happen with setups like Steam or when Microsoft brings out its new windows live thing they have mentioned. Not all spyware serves an "evil" purpose hehe..
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: November 21, 2008, 01:40:36 AM

Roll that around inside your head some more. Get back to us when you've spotted the batshit.

No more or less batshit than multi-boxers or counting inactive accounts.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 01:43:40 AM by Ratman_tf »

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: November 21, 2008, 07:09:30 AM

Conversion to what? MMORPG.com? That's awesome.  awesome, for real

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: November 21, 2008, 01:11:02 PM

Graphs like this tell me that Conan is the biggest failboat yet. It launched at the perfect lull, enough to garner THAT much attention.

Then promptly farted in their customers faces and giggled. The end. (soon)
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #31 on: November 21, 2008, 11:35:34 PM

I saw this and knew he had to be one of the Warhammer kids who managed not to get run off the board.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
tolakram
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: November 23, 2008, 05:10:17 AM

I saw this and knew he had to be one of the Warhammer kids who managed not to get run off the board.

Thanks, I haven't been called a kid in a long time.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: November 23, 2008, 05:35:17 AM

What the heck's in the water these days that we're using crap like Xfire and wikipedia entries to divine the state of MMOs. We know the state. WoW is so #1 it's more relevant to talk about #2*. That's more a valid comparison to the rest of the MMOs. And the companies at #2 aren't divulging info in a useful way because they needed to do better than they ultimately did. So we're really back in 2002 when the only games competing against each other are the 150k-300k variety.

Which we did back in 2002  Ohhhhh, I see.

I'm getting old.
tolakram
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: November 23, 2008, 06:05:29 AM

I think you're reading way too much into what's been said.  I don't know the goals of the original poster, I was having fun with trends.  I then continued to have fun explaining why I thought the trends, not raw numbers, were valid.  You know fun?

I would not equate this thread to a wikipedia entry, statistics are much more fun.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Xfire top 10 MMORPGs  
Jump to: