Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 04:19:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Game of Thrones [SPOILERS] 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 192 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Game of Thrones [SPOILERS]  (Read 1116244 times)
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #805 on: June 03, 2011, 06:22:18 AM

Littlefinger tells Ned in the books not to trust him. He takes a certain palpable delight in the books too in being treacherous--that's what distinguishes him from the Spider, for whom it's all business.

If there's anything I dislike more than people who complain that adaptations aren't exactly like their source material, it's people who make that complaint but have an imagination of a character in the source material that isn't even a good reading of the source material.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #806 on: June 03, 2011, 07:19:01 AM

Got a bee in your bonnet because I don't like some aspects of the show? So what? This is the show thread.

I have a bee in my bonnet because your reasoning between liking or not liking so far is retarded. Does that clear it up?

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #807 on: June 03, 2011, 08:28:27 AM

Yes, in the books you get a gigantic red flag with Littlefinger. In the show it's a bit more difficult to to put in all of the backstory without putting in some odd exposition parts. 

The voiced "explain this" stuff often comes from different characters and at strange times, but I can live with it.  I think they're going to have a hard time visualizing some things or even introducing them due to not being any payoff for a long time or without being just another info-dump. 

Looking forward to the end of this season.  I have a feeling the Dany stuff is just going to be a bit awkwardly done, however.

-Rasix
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #808 on: June 03, 2011, 09:06:01 AM

Littlefinger tells Ned in the books not to trust him. He takes a certain palpable delight in the books too in being treacherous--that's what distinguishes him from the Spider, for whom it's all business.

If there's anything I dislike more than people who complain that adaptations aren't exactly like their source material, it's people who make that complaint but have an imagination of a character in the source material that isn't even a good reading of the source material.

Amyway I have no intention of offending people so I'll quit shitting this thread up with my criticism. Let the wanking continue.
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #809 on: June 03, 2011, 09:11:13 AM

This is a good show.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #810 on: June 03, 2011, 09:31:09 AM

« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 09:35:07 AM by Khaldun »
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #811 on: June 03, 2011, 09:39:22 AM

Utterly sick of people bitching about books not being done right in a different medium.

For fucks sake, if there were Dr Who books, even I'd shut up.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #812 on: June 03, 2011, 10:01:29 AM

I'm really enjoying the series so far, and I'm overall fine with some of the changes between the books and film.  As a matter of fact, they've been very faithful overall.  I'd say the biggest flaw so far is that they are moving things a little to fast, so they are cutting out some extra stuff that would help deepen the characters a bit, and make the world a little more richer (for instance, they haven't bothered trying to explain the religion at all yet, be it new gods or old gods, and just sort of throw it out there.  The religion stuff was actually pretty cool).  This is mainly because each season is only 10 episodes, which is surprisingly short.  I think with even 3 more one hour episodes (making it a standard half season) they would have had enough extra time to flesh out things a lot better.  Not sure why they are only doing 10.

Other than that, I think the series has been pretty awesome so far, and every episode has been better than the last.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #813 on: June 03, 2011, 12:00:11 PM

This season is 10 episodes, they have not said how many episodes the other seasons will have.  They have made seasons longer for other shows in the past, and they are going to have to for this also or split books over more than one season because the first book is about the shortest one in the series.

I am the .00000001428%
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #814 on: June 03, 2011, 12:06:24 PM

This interview says they plan on 10 for season 2 as well:
http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/04/19/game-of-thrones-season-two-2/

Which worries me somewhat, but we'll see.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #815 on: June 03, 2011, 12:39:49 PM

Fans of good TV should be ashamed of complaining about hot lesbian whores practicing.  Whether or not the the show is tight with the books is not a factor in judging it a good TV series.  The books tell a complicated story in a format appropriate for that.  This HBO effort tells a similar story in a format appropriate for that.  Stop making them conjoined twins.

I have never played WoW.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #816 on: June 05, 2011, 06:46:38 PM

It'll be interesting to see tonight's Episode.  According to the Wiki, George RR Martin wrote this episode (the only one listed that he does so).

Oh, and:

-Stephen Colbert
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #817 on: June 05, 2011, 07:09:41 PM

I totally want to caption that "It's Baltimore. No one lives forever."
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #818 on: June 05, 2011, 07:33:25 PM

How did they get a young Tom Cruise to play a Lannister spy?

I am the .00000001428%
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #819 on: June 06, 2011, 05:46:08 AM

Hehe.

Some well delivered lines in this one.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #820 on: June 06, 2011, 06:09:42 AM

I like how much Mamoa's managed to do with Drogo, considering he's only had three scenes with dialog, and none of them in a real language. He still doesn't look like Conan, but he certainly had the right intensity in that last scene.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #821 on: June 06, 2011, 06:25:03 AM

Drogo's scene was aaaawwwessome.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

The whole episode was fantastic.
devildog
Terracotta Army

Reply #822 on: June 06, 2011, 07:44:57 AM

Conan would come out of his gladiator pit with wolverine claws and shred him, but he is doing a good job in Thrones i think.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #823 on: June 06, 2011, 08:27:41 AM

Series is really hitting its stride. Even knowing what's coming, I keep watching and hoping that I'm wrong somehow--it has the trick of making well-known scenes and plot arcs feel fresh. Robb's assumption of command was a bit out of nowhere, given how little character work has been done with him, but that's ok.
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #824 on: June 06, 2011, 08:49:29 AM

Series is really hitting its stride. Even knowing what's coming, I keep watching and hoping that I'm wrong somehow--it has the trick of making well-known scenes and plot arcs feel fresh. Robb's assumption of command was a bit out of nowhere, given how little character work has been done with him, but that's ok.

Robb commanding was rushed, but the stuff between him and Catelyn was really well done. The first moment she sees him and refrains from rushing to her son, instead standing back to greet the Lord of Winterfel until everyone had left was good as was her spoken disagreement with letting the spy go and Robb's response to it.

Tyrion still is by far the best character in the show. The scene with Drogo was very well done too and was the first time I actually liked how they did the story arc on that side of the world.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #825 on: June 06, 2011, 10:20:52 AM

Damn, I got to read the books. Between wanting to know if the dancing teacher made it against all reason and wanting to see the old Kingsguard kick some impertinent youngling ass (probably not going to happen either), I have this urgent need to know right now what happens and not in a few weeks/months/years. I need my baddass quota.

Of course, the whole series is amazing as it is now, and maybe it will lose some of its shine if I have to compare it to the books in my head. For some here it seems to have ruined what is an awesome series for others.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #826 on: June 06, 2011, 11:01:41 AM

Reading the books has not ruined the series for me at all.  Barristan Selmy is not done.  Minor spoiler for that scene in the books .

I am the .00000001428%
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #827 on: June 06, 2011, 12:10:00 PM

Yah, they did a great job with Syrio.  I was really looking forward to him beating the shit out of a group of knights using nothing but a wooden sword, and it delivered.

On Syrio's fate, if you want to know (its a minor spoiler overall):
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 05:20:09 PM by Teleku »

-Stephen Colbert
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #828 on: June 06, 2011, 12:14:16 PM

Fuck this, books here I come. Time to get me a kindle so I can read during the day outdoors!  awesome, for real
Wasted
Terracotta Army

Reply #829 on: June 06, 2011, 12:46:29 PM

My set of the books just arrived today.  This show is awesome.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #830 on: June 06, 2011, 01:09:56 PM

Somehow the only book in my house I can't find is "Clash of Kings".  awesome, for real  Just finished Game of Thrones again and wanted to keep going.  Right in the spot where it should be is a WoT book.  GRRRR.

-Rasix
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #831 on: June 06, 2011, 02:58:16 PM

Just finished watching "The Pointy End". The episode was written by the man himself, George RR Martin, and who else would have more confidence in the source material than the guy who actually wrote it? :P

Maybe it's because I already knew who wrote this episode, but it seemed to me that it had a more "straight", convincing cut than any of the others chapters shown 'til now. Definitely the best episode so far, total kickass. Greatjon Umber, of House Umber, was quite good, especially for a character introduced so late in the series (but all the North scenes were above average, this week)...And what of Timett, Shagga and Chetta, those wacky mountain clans? It's nice that the show actually managed to present them all: that scene with Tywin was great as well.

Syrio.... ACK! ACK!

The only thing that makes me mad is that...there are only two more episodes and then we're done for this season  Heartbreak Heartbreak Heartbreak

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #832 on: June 06, 2011, 04:19:19 PM

Yah, they did a great job with Syrio.  I was really looking forward to him beating the shit out of a group of knights using nothing but a wooden sword, and it delivered.

On Syrio's fate, if you want to know (its a minor spoiler overall):

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #833 on: June 06, 2011, 04:48:40 PM

So they get a better writer for the episode and the episode is better. Who'd have thought?

With energy and meaning in content and transition of scenes. And with some great lines. Joffrey was awesome.

Edit: Link in the spoiler.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 05:41:10 PM by lamaros »
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #834 on: June 06, 2011, 05:08:15 PM

Some how you don't sound less of a neck beard tool when you praise the show lamaros.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #835 on: June 06, 2011, 05:29:47 PM

Heartbreak Oh well. I guess every thread needs unfortunately gets one. I am truly enjoying it and I hope GRRM writes more episodes.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 05:38:10 PM by lamaros »
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #836 on: June 06, 2011, 06:42:10 PM

He's writing an episode for next season called "Blackwater", you know what that is going to entail.

I am the .00000001428%
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #837 on: June 07, 2011, 02:21:58 AM

8 seemed a lot more polished, maybe it's just the point the story has reached but it really seemed to last longer than usual.  Didn't feel as rushed as 7.

Ironwood, you still watching, what did you think?
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #838 on: June 07, 2011, 03:41:03 AM

Long audio interview with Miltos Yerolemou, AKA Syrio Forel !

http://castofthrones.com/2011/06/miltos-yeromelou-syrio-forel-inerview/

Also, a messy but simply beautiful map of Westeros...Crazy! :)  (hmm, no spoilers I think...Or anyway, if you haven't read the books, you won't catch a lot of references, especially for the areas north of the Wall).

http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2011/037/f/e/westeros_by_other_in_law-d38yn2d.jpg
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 04:04:32 AM by Lucas »

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
voodoolily
Contributor

Finnuh, munnuh, muhfuh, I enjoy creating new written vernacular, s'all.

Reply #839 on: June 07, 2011, 07:14:57 PM

Drogo's scene was aaaawwwessome.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

The whole episode was fantastic.

When he flexed his pec against the blade, I got a little verklempt in my panty area.  DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS 

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
The Legend of Zephyr - a different blog.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 192 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Game of Thrones [SPOILERS]  
Jump to: