Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 04:35:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Game of Thrones [SPOILERS] 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 192 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Game of Thrones [SPOILERS]  (Read 1116118 times)
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #770 on: May 28, 2011, 04:48:40 AM

Basically, the guys on the wall are the expendable people at this point.  Any training they get comes from those knights or nobles who are sent to the wall to get them out of the way.  As Threash said, Winter hasn't been around for so long that -as with all fantasy- the big baddie's been forgotten and turned into nothing more than scary tales to those in the South.  The real elite fighters are used for the political maneuverings and wars in the South.  Only the Starks maintain any semblance of wariness about the crap North of the wall.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #771 on: May 28, 2011, 08:50:12 AM

At this point in the story, I think it's 3 out of 20 keeps are currently manned on the Wall? And those 3 aren't "full strength" either.

- Viin
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #772 on: May 28, 2011, 01:31:01 PM

Basically, the guys on the wall are the expendable people at this point.  Any training they get comes from those knights or nobles who are sent to the wall to get them out of the way.  As Threash said, Winter hasn't been around for so long that -as with all fantasy- the big baddie's been forgotten and turned into nothing more than scary tales to those in the South.  The real elite fighters are used for the political maneuverings and wars in the South.  Only the Starks maintain any semblance of wariness about the crap North of the wall.

Correction, winter does come every few years, Tyrion mentioned he'd seen seven on the show i believe.  What hasn't been around are the white walkers, which are said to show up during the long winter.

I am the .00000001428%
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #773 on: May 28, 2011, 07:09:42 PM

Bob, regarding Cersei:

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #774 on: May 29, 2011, 09:30:36 AM

Bob, regarding Cersei:

Spoiler contains comments from book 2 fyi.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #775 on: May 29, 2011, 10:13:20 AM

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Aez
Terracotta Army

Reply #776 on: May 29, 2011, 11:37:42 AM

Random question : would reading the first 3 books give me a complete trilogy with decent closure or does every book leads to the next and you can't get any closure because the last books are not written?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 12:26:00 PM by Aez »
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #777 on: May 29, 2011, 11:42:38 AM

Random question : would reading the first 3 book give me a complete trilogy with decent closure or does every book leads to the next and you can't get any closure because the last books are not written?

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #778 on: May 29, 2011, 12:21:32 PM

Yeah, its not a trilogy.  Each book picks up after the last, so you'd need to read the entire thing to get the story.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #779 on: May 29, 2011, 08:09:22 PM

Holy shit! 

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #780 on: May 30, 2011, 02:22:17 PM

Was the guy who came to get Ned Billy Boyd?

I am the .00000001428%
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #781 on: May 30, 2011, 04:58:02 PM

Holy shit! 
Yeah, from here (near the end of the first book) and on out begins a long stream of "Holy Shit" moments.  First book was the slowest, so season 2 and beyond should be pretty good.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #782 on: May 30, 2011, 05:36:10 PM

Oh, did they just get to that part of Book 1? Nice.

Correction, winter does come every few years, Tyrion mentioned he'd seen seven on the show i believe.  What hasn't been around are the white walkers, which are said to show up during the long winter.

That doesn't sound right but I'd have to reread the books to verify.  I did read that yeah, it's been 8k years since the White Walkers were seen.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 05:42:15 PM by Merusk »

Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #783 on: May 30, 2011, 05:57:26 PM

-Stephen Colbert
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #784 on: May 30, 2011, 06:00:27 PM

Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #785 on: May 30, 2011, 06:26:00 PM

Holy Shit.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
MournelitheCalix
Terracotta Army

Reply #786 on: May 30, 2011, 06:42:59 PM

« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 06:44:42 PM by MournelitheCalix »

Born too late to explore the new world.
Born too early to explore the universe.
Born just in time to see liberty die.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #787 on: May 31, 2011, 08:09:40 AM

There are people here who have watched the show and are reading the books but aren't up to certain parts in the series yet.

Just say'in.
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #788 on: May 31, 2011, 08:49:11 AM

That doesn't sound right but I'd have to reread the books to verify.  I did read that yeah, it's been 8k years since the White Walkers were seen.

They have had winters but not very long ones nor very serious compared to what happened in the past. I vaguely remember them saying one winter was so long that the sun was not seen for 20 years and that is when the white walkers came. Their seasonal durations are very very random seeming at this point although george has hinted there is some actual mechanism or reason for when the long winters come.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #789 on: May 31, 2011, 07:14:56 PM

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #790 on: May 31, 2011, 07:23:44 PM

"Lol don't be ridiculous sweetheart"  awesome, for real

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #791 on: May 31, 2011, 08:20:40 PM

That comment section is delicious.

lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #792 on: June 01, 2011, 09:21:27 PM

This is why the TV series is failing. Too much stuff like this is being cut in order to keep things moving. Jamie and his sister are much more simple characters as a result. As are Twyin and Tyrion.

I found ep 7 to be a letdown. The quality of the episodes is still really up and down for me. One second I think the series is getting in its groove and is going to stay great, then next it's back to
Really pissed off about a few things... oh well.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 09:26:11 PM by lamaros »
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #793 on: June 02, 2011, 04:21:24 AM

What's your standard for "failing"? It certainly is doing fine in terms of viewership.

If it's "I don't like it", and the reason is, "because it's not 100% just like the books and doesn't have every single detail" I refer you to the already-retarded arguments about the LoTR movies and Tolkien ongoing in The Hobbit thread, you'll fit right in.
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #794 on: June 02, 2011, 06:27:40 AM

His chat with the hookers was to set up his character's reasons for the events with Ned later in the episode, so it doesn't come out of the blue. They want to have characters with depth who are doing things for reasons, not just... SURPRISE!!!
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 06:29:27 AM by Speedy Cerviche »
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #795 on: June 02, 2011, 07:34:19 AM

Kingsguard isn't supposed to be celibate, they just aren't supposed to marry.
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #796 on: June 02, 2011, 07:38:39 AM

Not sure of that.

Bran was going to be a knight himself someday, one of the Kingsguard. Old Nan said they were the finest swords in all the realm. There were only seven of them, and they wore white armor and had no wives or children, but lived only to serve the king.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #797 on: June 02, 2011, 07:42:58 AM

This is why the TV series is failing. Too much stuff like this is being cut in order to keep things moving. Jamie and his sister are much more simple characters as a result. As are Twyin and Tyrion.

Dude, it's like you're actively trying to hate this show even though it's doing really well, getting a second season, and pulling in a lot of positive buzz with a solid 3.2 million viewers a show. It's almost like you made up your mind before the show even started.

I expect it will suck too.

Oh wait!

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #798 on: June 02, 2011, 08:07:33 AM

You can smell his unwashed neckbeard from here.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #799 on: June 02, 2011, 08:08:26 AM

Not sure of that.

Bran was going to be a knight himself someday, one of the Kingsguard. Old Nan said they were the finest swords in all the realm. There were only seven of them, and they wore white armor and had no wives or children, but lived only to serve the king.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #800 on: June 02, 2011, 12:14:43 PM

I am pretty sure they talk constantly about how certain KG people are breaking their vows in book 4. It is possible I'm misremembering but I thought that's why a particular POV in that book is titled "The Soiled Knight".

Now I have to reread them AGAIN.  awesome, for real
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 12:16:39 PM by Ingmar »

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
WayAbvPar

Reply #801 on: June 02, 2011, 12:49:52 PM

I am pretty sure they talk constantly about how certain KG people are breaking their vows in book 4. It is possible I'm misremembering but I thought that's why a particular POV in that book is titled "The Soiled Knight".

Now I have to reread them AGAIN.  awesome, for real
You are correct...read that chapter this morning, as it happens.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #802 on: June 02, 2011, 05:12:35 PM

What's your standard for "failing"? It certainly is doing fine in terms of viewership.

If it's "I don't like it", and the reason is, "because it's not 100% just like the books and doesn't have every single detail" I refer you to the already-retarded arguments about the LoTR movies and Tolkien ongoing in The Hobbit thread, you'll fit right in.

I guess I should elaborate the comment to "failing to capture as much of the books as I feel is possible/failing to write bridging scenes that are consistent with the characterisation in the books".

Wasn't Two and a Half Men one of the most popular shows on TV in the US? Dunno what real relevance viewer numbers have to this discussion.

His chat with the hookers was to set up his character's reasons for the events with Ned later in the episode, so it doesn't come out of the blue. They want to have characters with depth who are doing things for reasons, not just... SURPRISE!!!

Dude, it's like you're actively trying to hate this show even though it's doing really well, getting a second season, and pulling in a lot of positive buzz with a solid 3.2 million viewers a show. It's almost like you made up your mind before the show even started.

Did you miss the bit where I have said some episodes are really excellent and that I'm watching it? I'm annoyed because of the episodes that are falling down, not the show in general. Really pissed off by "a few things "is not really pissed off completely. It's possible to enjoy something without soiling my pants over it. The show pretty obviously a whole lot better than I ever expected it to be.

And yeah, the Kingsguard are meant to be celibate. No ifs or buts on that one. They aren't, sure, but the vow is to be so.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 05:22:39 PM by lamaros »
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #803 on: June 02, 2011, 08:16:01 PM

You're right, SirBrucing the thread obviously proves you have perspective. Carry on.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #804 on: June 02, 2011, 08:46:57 PM

You're right, SirBrucing the thread obviously proves you have perspective. Carry on.

Responding to different posters is not SirBrucing.  why so serious?

Got a bee in your bonnet because I don't like some aspects of the show? So what? This is the show thread.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 192 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Game of Thrones [SPOILERS]  
Jump to: