Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 04:45:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Game of Thrones [SPOILERS] 0 Members and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 192 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Game of Thrones [SPOILERS]  (Read 1116122 times)
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #665 on: May 10, 2011, 05:18:26 PM

Wife-o-meter: way up after the latest episode. Much much more engaged now. Thought Caetlyn was being a total idiot in arresting Tyrion.  DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #666 on: May 11, 2011, 02:41:48 AM

Ok, I saw this pic on the Something Awful boards and couldn't resist.

The Wall gets attacked by the "White Walkers" :P

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #667 on: May 11, 2011, 07:37:20 AM

Golden Crown episode will make me go  DRILLING AND MANLINESS DRILLING AND MANLINESS

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #668 on: May 11, 2011, 09:18:09 AM

Golden Crown episode will make me go  DRILLING AND MANLINESS DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Wife-o-meter: way up after the latest episode. Much much more engaged now. Thought Caetlyn was being a total idiot in arresting Tyrion.  DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS

It's a running theme with mama and papa Stark.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 09:20:41 AM by Rasix »

-Rasix
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #669 on: May 12, 2011, 04:19:54 AM

Halfway through episode four.

Hitting its fucking stride. If it keeps this up it will be amazing.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #670 on: May 12, 2011, 07:10:46 AM

Dinklage's acting is really phenomenal with this character.  Did you see his facial expressions at the end of the last episode in the inn?

It's going to suck really a lot when we have to wait for season 2.
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #671 on: May 12, 2011, 08:35:04 AM

Dinklage is stealing the show, by far.  I loved the final inn scene.

Still, if I wasn't a fan of the books, I don't know if I would have the patience for this show.

I have never played WoW.
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #672 on: May 12, 2011, 09:10:24 AM

To be fair, Tyrion steals the show in the books too.  Dinklage is doing a great job, but he has a fun character to work with, and he only gets more interesting as the series continues.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #673 on: May 12, 2011, 01:54:46 PM

Major spoiler from later in the series so you might want to avoid it if you haven't read all the books.

Rasix

Reply #674 on: May 12, 2011, 02:09:49 PM

Major spoiler from later in the series so you might want to avoid it if you haven't read all the books.

SUPER SPOILEY. DO NOT CLICKETH.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 02:11:51 PM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #675 on: May 12, 2011, 02:19:46 PM

lol.

You know what's funny?

Clicking a super spoiler and not having a fucking clue what the fuck you're talking about because I haven't figured out all the names yet.

Stupid, stupid shit.  This is why Dickens stuck to 'Mr Happyflump' and 'Ms Lovelace' and 'Count CompleteBastard'.  So much easier to follow.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
WayAbvPar

Reply #676 on: May 12, 2011, 02:47:08 PM

Just wait until the Freys show up. Every 2nd or third one is Walder or Walda.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Rasix

Reply #677 on: May 12, 2011, 02:49:06 PM

Black Walder is especially fun.

-Rasix
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #678 on: May 12, 2011, 02:50:16 PM

Seems simple enough to me  why so serious?
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #679 on: May 12, 2011, 02:50:34 PM

Yes, Freys are a funny and homely bunch.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Lemming
Terracotta Army

Reply #680 on: May 12, 2011, 03:58:22 PM

I've been enjoying the show so far, but I can't really see how people who haven't read the books will have an easy time keeping up with this awesome story.  My wife has only really been able to keep up with the show because I am able to answer any little questions she may have about the characters or the world they live in.

So far I only have a few minor complaints about the show changing what characters do in some of the scenes.  For instance, Dany was the one who ordered her brother to walk behind the khalasar as punishment, not Jhogo.  I don't really understand why they would change things like that.  Having Dany give the command showed that she was becoming more confident in herself, becoming more of a leader.  She had been taking shit from her brother all her life, and she was finally coming into her own.

Another one that comes to mind is when Will, the young scout of the night's watch, was executed instead of Gared.  Gared was a hardened veteran on the wall.  He had been there for decades, and yet something on the other side of that wall made him run for his life, despite the fact he knew he would be executed if he was found deserting.

I completely understand omitting stuff from the book, and I know these are just minor changes, but it took these changes for me to realize their significance to me once they were changed.  Or maybe I'm just being the comic book guy.
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #681 on: May 12, 2011, 04:34:34 PM

Nope.  That's been my read on it since the first book as well.  I don't see any alternatives that make as much sense.

As for those minor changes, Lemming: everyone's mileage varies.  Those things don't bother me at all.  In fact, I think that the writers have done an excellent job adding scenes that didn't exist in the books in order to better introduce characters.  The scene that introduced Theon, for instance.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #682 on: May 12, 2011, 06:35:45 PM

I'm up to episode 3, watching it with my girlfriend. Neither of us have read the books. We found ep 3 quite long-winded, lots of talking and no action except the horse whip incident. She fell asleep towards the end. We'll give ep 4 a go.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #683 on: May 12, 2011, 08:24:00 PM

I'm up to episode 3, watching it with my girlfriend. Neither of us have read the books. We found ep 3 quite long-winded, lots of talking and no action except the horse whip incident. She fell asleep towards the end. We'll give ep 4 a go.

It does take a while for the 'action' to happen in the first book. Once it doesn't it never stops, though.
Mazakiel
Terracotta Army

Reply #684 on: May 12, 2011, 09:13:04 PM

That's always been my theory as well.  I'm hoping there'll be some movement to confirming it in the next book. 
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #685 on: May 13, 2011, 06:53:03 AM

So far I only have a few minor complaints about the show changing what characters do in some of the scenes.  For instance, Dany was the one who ordered her brother to walk behind the khalasar as punishment, not Jhogo.  I don't really understand why they would change things like that.  Having Dany give the command showed that she was becoming more confident in herself, becoming more of a leader.  She had been taking shit from her brother all her life, and she was finally coming into her own.

I think they just want to make the character development more obvious to the audience. They changed that ep.3 moment to a more intermediate step (letting someone else kick his ass in her presence), setting up the ep.4 development where she really kicks his ass herself and talks about how he is a loser.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #686 on: May 14, 2011, 08:09:18 PM

The Jon Snow theory always struck me as screamingly obvious even in Book 1.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #687 on: May 16, 2011, 01:25:47 AM

I spoke too soon. Captain obvious (with terrible acting) episode.

Why are the writers so intent on butchering this? They have abandoned nearly all the characterisation in order to expedite the plot, but the whole thing is no fun when you can't believe the characters. They open their mouths, but only generic "here let me explain it for you dear viewer" words come out.

The kid playing Bran was the only bright spot in episode five for me.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 01:31:12 AM by lamaros »
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #688 on: May 16, 2011, 02:31:29 AM

The Plot is dense, but it's moving so quickly there's no way round it.  I thought it was pretty good, with Gregor's poor horse, Tyrion's shield use "I'm willing if she is", the Eyrie, the sky cell and poor Jory all in one episode.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 02:33:02 AM by Arthur_Parker »
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #689 on: May 16, 2011, 04:46:51 AM

Lots of invented scenes in this one, but I thought they did a great job adapting here, except for the Theon scene, which just seems pointless and "look, it's HBO, there's cock and tit". But I feel for the writers: Theon has nothing to do that matters this early in the story and yet it's terribly important that viewers see him, understand who he is, and remember him.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #690 on: May 16, 2011, 05:33:29 AM

One of the most hysterical scenes:

« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 05:35:37 AM by Lucas »

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #691 on: May 16, 2011, 05:54:28 AM

I spoke too soon. Captain obvious (with terrible acting) episode.

I thought it was the best episode yet.  The duel between Varys and Littlefinger wasn't in the book but it was as awesome as Ned vs Jamie.

I am the .00000001428%
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #692 on: May 16, 2011, 06:13:25 AM

The Plot is dense, but it's moving so quickly there's no way round it.  I thought it was pretty good, with Gregor's poor horse, Tyrion's shield use "I'm willing if she is", the Eyrie, the sky cell and poor Jory all in one episode.

And yet they have time to shit around with Robert and Cersei (who I might add is being acted/portrayed very oddly compared to the books) at the end there? And a far too long scene with Theon? I know it's a very hard thing to do, but I am struggling to understand some of the choices. I mean, the scene with Renly getting shaved? Seriously? You think the comments from Littlefinger at the joust wasn't obvious enough? (Also it fucks the Loras characterisation, giving him too hard an edge for this early and less scope to grow later imho. And makes Renly a bit pathetic. Renly is meant to be the grandiose dandy with aims above his station, he doesn't need grooming tips from a child.)

Sansa is being done brilliantly. She's only on the fringes, but we see enough of her to know who she is and her personality; without resorting to inserting her in to scenes.

Anyway, I gotta stop ranting...
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #693 on: May 16, 2011, 06:23:57 AM

I never read the books but I'm enjoying the series. A lot of people to try to keep track of, though. I thought ep 5 was good.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #694 on: May 16, 2011, 06:27:40 AM

Anyway, I gotta stop ranting...
It's ok with me.  I didn't like the Theon scene myself but GRRM is involved so I'm not sure what effect that has.
WayAbvPar

Reply #695 on: May 16, 2011, 08:56:20 AM

Once again, the 'made for TV' scale really galled me. The Ned/Jaime fight looked like it was done on a playhouse stage FFS.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #696 on: May 16, 2011, 09:02:20 AM

The tournament of the hand REALLY got the short end of the stick.  It was supposed to be a massive affair with spartacus type crowds and lots more jousts, not to mention the melee.  No Jamie getting embarrassed by Sandor, no Jory making it pretty far into the tournament, no Beric Dondarrion, no Thoros of Myr with his flaming sword winning the melee.  Sad.

I am the .00000001428%
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #697 on: May 16, 2011, 01:50:48 PM

One of the most hysterical scenes:

I can't be the only one who was thinking, "O Brave Sir Robin!"
Vision
Terracotta Army

Reply #698 on: May 16, 2011, 03:18:57 PM

Jamie and Ned never actually fought in the book did they? Ned took off some heads and then his horse fell on him and broke his leg.
I suppose I like the fact that Jamie kills Jory in the show, makes it more personal.
WayAbvPar

Reply #699 on: May 16, 2011, 04:17:10 PM

I don't think they ever crossed swords, no. I was wondering if they would include a broken leg in the fight, and then was like 'not canon, but that will definitely do'.

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 192 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Game of Thrones [SPOILERS]  
Jump to: