Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 06:35:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Game of Thrones [SPOILERS] 0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 192 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Game of Thrones [SPOILERS]  (Read 1116139 times)
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #560 on: April 25, 2011, 07:35:30 PM

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #561 on: April 25, 2011, 11:16:06 PM

Here's something you won't hear every day: I mostly agree with Paelos. There's being a stone cold bitch in book one, and then there's what is sounds like Cersei is in the TV show. She's not a total pyschopath in Book One, however giant a bitch you think she is.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 11:17:52 PM by Sjofn »

God Save the Horn Players
pants
Terracotta Army

Reply #562 on: April 26, 2011, 04:52:08 AM

Re: Cersei and Jaimie getting it on - hey, if its good enough for the Targaryens for centuries, why can't it be good enough for the Lannisters?
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #563 on: April 26, 2011, 07:05:45 AM

Here's something you won't hear every day: I mostly agree with Paelos. There's being a stone cold bitch in book one, and then there's what is sounds like Cersei is in the TV show. She's not a total pyschopath in Book One, however giant a bitch you think she is.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #564 on: April 26, 2011, 08:25:45 AM

So I watched the first two episodes, and I'm one of those who has not read the books yet (though I plan on it). There's somethings to like and somethings that I don't like. The whole Dothraki/fairy prince storyline feels very forced and trite. It doesn't help that Kal Drogo hasn't said more than two words and the actors playing the prince and his sister really aren't bringing off anything other than annoying. There were a shitton of characters to try to follow, with strange names or names that weren't given and relationships that weren't explained. A book can explain things so much easier, but the writers needed to work harder to explain things early on. It got better in the second episode, but it definitely still feels like we haven't left the prologue yet. I really really like Peter Dinklage's character - he has the best lines and he handles them so damn well. Sean Bean is always good. The rest of the cast I'm not too sure about. I haven't seen enough of them or know enough about the characters they are trying to play to make a judgement. The sex scenes did feel a bit gratuitous, but that's to be expected in HBO world. The little glimpse of the White Walkers was awesome. Killing dogs is much less awesome, especially such beautiful dogs.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #565 on: April 26, 2011, 08:34:53 AM

The books don't explain relationships and characters either.  You're just tossed into the middle of things and are told to "swim".

And they aren't fairys.  Ohhhhh, I see.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #566 on: April 26, 2011, 08:43:05 AM

Sarcasm. Learn it. Live it. Love it.

shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #567 on: April 26, 2011, 11:55:55 AM

I don't even recall the Targaryen plotlines getting a lot of pages in Book 1, but I could be wrong.  I think they should have left it out of season 1 and done a full episode on it (or more) in season 2 as a parallel story line.

I have never played WoW.
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #568 on: April 26, 2011, 12:05:01 PM

I think they should have left it out of season 1 and done a full episode on it (or more) in season 2 as a parallel story line.

I thought of that too but I decided people would have hated it.  It would be Feast of Crows all over again.  People want more of characters they like, introducing new ones when the story is still ongoing just pisses people off and they don't give the new characters a chance.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #569 on: April 26, 2011, 12:36:47 PM

Targarayen plotline is mostly boring in book 1.  There are a few interesting moments surrounded by a lot of boredom.

-Rasix
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #570 on: April 26, 2011, 04:22:15 PM

I really really like Peter Dinklage's character - he has the best lines and he handles them so damn well. Sean Bean is always good. The rest of the cast I'm not too sure about. I haven't seen enough of them or know enough about the characters they are trying to play to make a judgement.

Tyrion (Peter D.) is pretty much one of the best characters in the books, in terms of characterization, depth and humor.

(Feast for Crows spoiler)

Sean Bean does a good Eddard. The actor playing Jon Snow is doing pretty well, as is the actress playing Arya. The guy doing Robb Stark could definitely look a little less lost and hollow-eyed all the time.

In general, I think the second episode is falling into a better cadence than the first, with a lot less whip-cutting between completely disparate sets of people and events - it's solidifying down to the folks on the road, the folks at the Wall and the Targaryen/Dothraki storyline. It still cuts between the stories too fast for my taste - the multi-POV effect works well in the books, but it's disconcerting when carried out every 3 minutes on screen.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #571 on: April 26, 2011, 04:32:48 PM

Maybe next year HBO can do a series on The Black Company, just for Ironwood.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #572 on: April 26, 2011, 04:45:38 PM

Can't even imagine trying to pitch it. Within 20 pages you're talking about blood-drinking, liver-eating, man-leopards.

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #573 on: April 26, 2011, 04:49:00 PM

Which means it is definitely SyFy material, not HBO.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
fuser
Terracotta Army

Reply #574 on: April 26, 2011, 04:56:14 PM

Well, it does have really good opening credits.

The credits has a real nice animation. Plus there's a whole lot of stuff going on that's easily missed.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #575 on: April 26, 2011, 05:16:34 PM

Can't even imagine trying to pitch it. Within 20 pages you're talking about blood-drinking, liver-eating, man-leopards.

The Thundercats reboot is coming soon. Just relax.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #576 on: April 26, 2011, 05:34:14 PM

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #577 on: April 26, 2011, 05:35:02 PM

Which would have been fine if the books were a year apart as the foreword (or was it an afterword) to Feast promised...

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #578 on: April 26, 2011, 09:17:23 PM

Second episode was much much better.

Dany plotline is still tacky and horrible, though.
Yoru

Reply #579 on: April 27, 2011, 03:00:34 AM

Yes, but I didn't know that going in and was looking forward to it, so I was ticked. Looking forward to ADWD though.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #580 on: April 27, 2011, 04:29:33 AM

Ahhh. Yes that would suck.  Only 2 1/2 more months.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #581 on: April 27, 2011, 06:46:51 AM

Reason number 500 why I love tyrion

I really really like Peter Dinklage's character - he has the best lines and he handles them so damn well. Sean Bean is always good. The rest of the cast I'm not too sure about. I haven't seen enough of them or know enough about the characters they are trying to play to make a judgement.

Tyrion (Peter D.) is pretty much one of the best characters in the books, in terms of characterization, depth and humor.

(Feast for Crows spoiler)

Sean Bean does a good Eddard. The actor playing Jon Snow is doing pretty well, as is the actress playing Arya. The guy doing Robb Stark could definitely look a little less lost and hollow-eyed all the time.

In general, I think the second episode is falling into a better cadence than the first, with a lot less whip-cutting between completely disparate sets of people and events - it's solidifying down to the folks on the road, the folks at the Wall and the Targaryen/Dothraki storyline. It still cuts between the stories too fast for my taste - the multi-POV effect works well in the books, but it's disconcerting when carried out every 3 minutes on screen.
Yoru

Reply #582 on: April 27, 2011, 09:49:40 AM

You'd think Joff would learn to just stand up a little taller when mouthing off.
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #583 on: April 27, 2011, 09:55:47 AM

Probably he realizes that tyrion would just headbut him in the nuts and then start slapping him relentlessly until he does what he is told.
Xuri
Terracotta Army

몇살이세욬ㅋ 몇살이 몇살 몇살이세욬ㅋ!!!!!1!

Reply #584 on: April 27, 2011, 01:15:25 PM

That Tyrion-gif makes me think of Terrence Hill's awesome saloon-duel in Trinity Is Still My Name.

-= Ho Eyo He Hum =-
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #585 on: April 27, 2011, 03:00:18 PM

Speaking of GIFs...

Heart Heart Heart Heart Heart

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #586 on: April 29, 2011, 02:18:05 PM

Thought this was pretty good.

Game of thrones soundtrack on piano
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #587 on: April 29, 2011, 04:04:53 PM

Hehe, the fans crazyness begins: Tyrion slaps Joffrey for 10 minutes in this video (Led Zeppelin's "Achilles Last Stand")

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYNeT2nzEgA

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #588 on: April 29, 2011, 04:12:00 PM

That video lead me to one where people were in adoration of Sansa.  I'm flabbergasted.

Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #589 on: April 29, 2011, 06:44:40 PM

I can't be the only one who skipped over every Dany chapter in every book so far.

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #590 on: April 30, 2011, 03:35:41 AM

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
lac
Terracotta Army

Reply #591 on: April 30, 2011, 05:10:40 AM

Well I haven't read the books but to us pleps there isn't much plotline going on. She got married out to the brute with the army and after her initial shock took to employing her womany ways to mold him.
I can't really see why you'd let such a simple storyline get all your nerdicles get knotted up.
Sparky
Terracotta Army

Reply #592 on: April 30, 2011, 05:39:33 AM

teach me how to deal with being raped by my brutish nonwhite husband by grinding my lesbian pussy
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #593 on: April 30, 2011, 06:32:27 AM

(NO SPOILERS 'til the tag)

Regarding Dany's plotline, when it comes to the first book it's really a matter of your "first impression" about the different environment/atmosphere and people surrounding the events happening around and to her. There is no "scheming", or complex Houses branches and so forth. So I can get the "uh....so WHAT?" approach, especially from the TV series newcomers.

If you want, Dany's storyline is your more typical "fantasy" novel, but again, it's more a matter of personal taste: I loved her character from the start, how she changes from a frightened 13 years old girl (in the books) to a strong willed Khaleesi. George Martin wrote that change very well, IMO; and anyway, yes, her story is quite dull 'til two important events happen, which I won't spoil in here.

Then, in the following seasons, her storyline becomes quite fascinating, mainly because you get to read (and hopefully, we'll get to see) about very exotic and bizzarre places and inhabitants; and also, about very unexpected allies and traitors.

And, of course

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #594 on: May 01, 2011, 02:33:09 PM

I just watched the start of episode 2 again, because I had liked the episode. The acting at the start is so incredibly bad. The horse people going past in the background are comical. The way the girls carry Dany from her horse is hilariously overacted.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 192 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Game of Thrones [SPOILERS]  
Jump to: