Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 11:30:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Game of Thrones [SPOILERS] 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 173 174 [175] 176 177 ... 192 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Game of Thrones [SPOILERS]  (Read 1116190 times)
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #6090 on: May 02, 2019, 08:06:24 AM

I think one thing that's already in the books that the show simply wasn't prepared to do is for winter to be as overwhelming and despairing as it has already started to be, and for the Walkers to be much more "winter given form" and much less "death and darkness incarnate". What happens to Stannis on the road to Winterfell is way nastier in terms of weather than what appears in the show, and I think it's because visualizing that kind of extreme winter conditions and making them cover everything in Westeros is impossible for the show-runners--can't be done with either practical effects or CGI. That alone will make the Walkers mean something different in the books if he ever writes them.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #6091 on: May 02, 2019, 09:41:27 AM

So why anyone still gives a shit about what GRRM intends, is or is not doing....it makes no sense at all.  HBO has made this what it is, not Martin. 

See, as a writer, I think Martin got a great deal out of the series, royalty-wise. He had to have. Otherwise, he would have wrote the shit out of the last 2 or 3 books to make sure they got released while the show was on TV. What better form of marketing for selling your books is there than a popular TV or movie series? Book 6 and 7 would have flown off the shelves, even more than Book 5 did. So clearly the money he was getting from HBO just allowed him to do what the fuck ever (like buying an arthouse theater) and just not really worry about doing anything more strenuous than dick around with those last books.

If that's me, I'm writing the shit out of some books while that show is on, because the gravy train may not last past the end of the series.

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #6092 on: May 02, 2019, 11:10:28 AM

As an expert on procrastination, I think GRRM has simply given up on the books but can't bring himself to admit to it for various reasons.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #6093 on: May 02, 2019, 11:32:58 AM

GRRM can always say that "no no no I have the only true ending to this story." The fat fuck can say that to as many people that will listen but he will most likely die before he finishes game of thrones on his terms. And that is why no one cares if he does have a "final directors cut". Because if he had one he wasted so much time that diabetes will kill him before the winds of winter gets on amazon.

Regarding the spirally drop in quality and no one noticing and caring. Well I think game of thrones was accessible enough to attract people who normally don't watch high fantasy or think that all fantasy sounds like LotRs to watch it. A lot of those people aren't bothering to read the books and if you honestly never read the books you don't have that compare and contrast. And if your normally approaching this as a "smarter than average fantasy show" and throw around words like "deconstruction" to describe it than its already starting from a higher pedestal and it takes a literal shark to knock it off.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 04:21:58 PM by MediumHigh »
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #6094 on: May 02, 2019, 04:15:43 PM

What happens to Stannis on the road to Winterfell is way nastier in terms of weather than what appears in the show, and I think it's because visualizing that kind of extreme winter conditions and making them cover everything in Westeros is impossible for the show-runners--can't be done with either practical effects or CGI. That alone will make the Walkers mean something different in the books if he ever writes them.

Maybe, but the blizzard during the last episode seemed like what the books are aiming for.

But once you accept that the show is intentionally running a shorter story more focussed on the main characters, then I think what they've done overall makes sense for the show - and as you say it makes sense for the walkers to be something different.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #6095 on: May 02, 2019, 04:35:59 PM

There is a huge drop in quality in the show right at the moment they ran out of book stuff. It is such a stark difference that I don't understand how people don't see it.

Because the books had a sharp drop in quality after the 3rd one and because it's a lot harder to resolve plot threads than it is to just keep throwing new ones in. Also because for all the talk about how GRRM is great at subverting tropes, really that mostly amounts to unexpectedly killing off major characters, which has since become a trope itself and becomes less subversive each time you rely on it.
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #6096 on: May 02, 2019, 04:51:48 PM

There is a huge drop in quality in the show right at the moment they ran out of book stuff. It is such a stark difference that I don't understand how people don't see it.

Because the books had a sharp drop in quality after the 3rd one and because it's a lot harder to resolve plot threads than it is to just keep throwing new ones in. Also because for all the talk about how GRRM is great at subverting tropes, really that mostly amounts to unexpectedly killing off major characters, which has since become a trope itself and becomes less subversive each time you rely on it.

The wobbles of book 4 doesn't account for the last 4 seasons of television. However book 4 is the weakest most meandering thrones book and gives me no faith that GRRM has any idea how to end this.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #6097 on: May 02, 2019, 06:13:47 PM

There was a stark (harr) drop in quality after the first book, it was just not nearly as precipitous as the later one.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #6098 on: May 02, 2019, 06:15:35 PM

I actually thought each book got better than the last, up through the third one.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #6099 on: May 02, 2019, 06:37:10 PM

Yeah, but you also like Sublime.  DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
schild
Administrator

Reply #6100 on: May 02, 2019, 07:02:22 PM

I actually thought each book got better than the last, up through the third one.
Yeah, but you also like Sublime.  DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS
i'll allow it
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #6101 on: May 02, 2019, 07:13:08 PM

I've said it before, but the fundamental thing here is that Martin's subversion of every trope etc. ran its course in the last book he wrote. He made a trap for himself and he can't go forward. It's really not that he's lazy or that he has writer's block or whatever. He knows he's got no way out. He can keep shifting the viewpoint characters to try and produce some sense of narrative surprise (look at the announced list for Winds of Winter) but he already knows he played that card in the last book with Quentyn Martell and it was a catastrophic storytelling turd that stank up the entire book. There's no escape: he's created a situation where Jon Snow has to resurrect, where Jon has to be revealed as a secret Targ, where Jon and Dany have to get together and fuck, where the Dead have to be beaten, where Bran has to reveal all the secrets, where Arya has to be an awesome little assassin and kill the Freys, etc.

He fought the tropes and the tropes won. Past a certain point in the whole saga and you either have to pay off some shit or you have to be a fucking asshole who just keeps multiplying viewpoint people who are trivial red herrings in order to pretend that anything can happen. He lost his mojo for writing this once he saw that he'd written himself into this hole.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #6102 on: May 02, 2019, 07:28:28 PM

The wobbles of book 4 doesn't account for the last 4 seasons of television. However book 4 is the weakest most meandering thrones book and gives me no faith that GRRM has any idea how to end this.

It's not just the wobbles of book 4 though. There are signs even early than that which suggest GRRM a) maybe isn't as good at the actual war stuff as he might think, and b) isn't great at resolving things.

Take a look at the War of the Five Kings. It's almost entirely resolved by surprise assassinations (Red Wedding, magical Vag Demon, "fell off a bridge", and most hated man in the world not having a food taster). Winterfell suffers with Robb gone, but aside from that most of the military action doesn't amount to much. The Battle of the Blackwater results in no notable casualties (for all those complaining about the lack of notable deaths this last episode), and the status quo being upheld (Lannisters still in control of King's Landing, and Stannis returns to Dragonstone).

Or look at the fact that it's GRRM and not the TV writers who came up with the plot of magicking people back from the dead. And while it hasn't been used to undo the most recent surprise death in the books, I'd be very surprised if Jon Snow being brought back was an idea original to the TV show. Unless you're writing a superhero comic, that's about as hacky as hack writing can get. That's an example of the direction the writing was going in when the show writers had to start making their own way.

In fact a large part of the problem with the series, and why the quality started suffering, is that by design magic started featuring more and more prominently as the story went along and there's no indication that GRRM knows exactly how to handle it. Melisandre and the Lord of Light, the White Walkers, and the Three Eyed Raven, all start to become more important to the plot, but their origins, powers, and ultimate motives are all still currently left mysterious in the books. It makes for a much less interesting story than the human drama that preceded it and drags the story kicking and screaming from "this was inspired by the War of the Roses", to "this was inspired by every generic Fantasy novel". Even going back to Renly's shadow vag demon death, that felt like a cheat to literally just magically eliminate one of the major factions in the war. Robb at least is partially at fault for his own fate but Renly was just the victim of an unstoppable magic spell.

I'm still entertained by the show, maybe because I don't really see this as a dramatic decline in quality. If anything I'm at least grateful they dramatically cut down on a lot of the superfluous plot threads GRRM had been adding lately, but aside from that it seems pretty consistent with where he's likely going with things.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #6103 on: May 02, 2019, 07:38:37 PM

I've said it before, but the fundamental thing here is that Martin's subversion of every trope etc. ran its course in the last book he wrote. He made a trap for himself and he can't go forward. It's really not that he's lazy or that he has writer's block or whatever. He knows he's got no way out. He can keep shifting the viewpoint characters to try and produce some sense of narrative surprise (look at the announced list for Winds of Winter) but he already knows he played that card in the last book with Quentyn Martell and it was a catastrophic storytelling turd that stank up the entire book. There's no escape: he's created a situation where Jon Snow has to resurrect, where Jon has to be revealed as a secret Targ, where Jon and Dany have to get together and fuck, where the Dead have to be beaten, where Bran has to reveal all the secrets, where Arya has to be an awesome little assassin and kill the Freys, etc.

He fought the tropes and the tropes won. Past a certain point in the whole saga and you either have to pay off some shit or you have to be a fucking asshole who just keeps multiplying viewpoint people who are trivial red herrings in order to pretend that anything can happen. He lost his mojo for writing this once he saw that he'd written himself into this hole.

Eh, I always though from the beginning it was still going to end up following tropes (because only a psycho path likes reading 10,000 pages of people failing).  The first three books were about breaking tropes and surprises (good guys do everything good guys usually do, but end up fucking up everything and dying for it).  In the aftermath of that, the next three books were going to be the glorious return and play out more as expected.  We have the Stark kids who were all going to come back leveled up and awesome (Arya: Assassin, Bran: Wizard,  Sansa: Master of Intrigue).  Like, I was confident of that when I originally read the third book almost 20 years ago.  I guess maybe his U-turn away from the original idea (5 year gap or something in between the first three and second three) was caused because he wanted to avoid tropes, which would be a mistake.  But I don't think he's tied up on it.  Literally for 20 years ago he telegraphed exactly what would happen with each character.  I'll actually be pissed if it doesn't work out this way in the books.

Also, Jon being a Targ was already figured out by anybody paying attention in the books a long time ago.  It hasn't technically been revealed yet, but everybody reading the books knew it back in the 90's even, so of course they're going to have to come back to that.  He obviously had that planned as a big thing since book 1.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #6104 on: May 02, 2019, 10:40:31 PM

I have a whole bunch of baseless points I was going to make, which I won't, but here is something to consider:  As a general rule, humans like the beginnings of things and get tired of, annoyed and downright hostile towards those same things as they reach their ending point.  Of course there are exceptions, but I think we tend to get tired of shit and maybe that colors our ability to be objective about what we are experiencing.  On the other hand, the writers, directors and actors also get tired of this shit, so maybe it impacts the product they create despite their best efforts.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #6105 on: May 03, 2019, 03:30:10 AM

Episode 4 Trailer

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ksTqLXLUvQ4

I can't stop thinking that the entire Dany part would work a lot better with different acting. Her lines are supposed to be badass but the delivery and her facial expressions just fails that.

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #6106 on: May 03, 2019, 04:29:38 AM

I don't really like movie trailers, no way I am going to watch a GoT trailer.  They are inherently spoilers by definition.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #6107 on: May 03, 2019, 06:02:19 AM

It's the same thing they showed at the end of the episode.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #6108 on: May 03, 2019, 09:07:12 AM

It's a lot of shots of Daenerys telling everyone how much she wants to smack Cersei. It's in no way a spoiler.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #6109 on: May 03, 2019, 09:32:40 AM

I get this on HBO, and there is no pre-view at the end of the last episode.  And it is a spoiler on some level.  I don´t want to know ANYTHING. 

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #6110 on: May 03, 2019, 09:44:45 AM

It's a lot of shots of Daenerys telling everyone how much she wants to smack Cersei. It's in no way a spoiler.

Wait, you mean Dany and Cersei got beef with each other?  This changes everything!

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #6111 on: May 03, 2019, 10:02:26 AM

I get this on HBO, and there is no pre-view at the end of the last episode.  And it is a spoiler on some level.  I don´t want to know ANYTHING.  

Your HBO must be different than other people’s HBO. I know people who watched it on the TV HBO and saw the preview clip.

I use HBONow and they show the “next time” stuff before the “behind our stupidity” segment with the show creators.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 10:04:05 AM by Chimpy »

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #6112 on: May 03, 2019, 10:45:14 AM

Certainly varies by country.

I've never seen these spoiler trailers for any show anywhere outside the US. (or on the Internet if I go looking obv)

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #6113 on: May 03, 2019, 10:47:33 AM

I mean, they aren't really spoilers but some people seem to react like they are - which has always been my assumption of the reason why different markets use them or not.

That, or they think they're better off advertising something else if they are confident GoT viewers in their country are likely to remember they like watching GoT without the aid of the trailer.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 10:49:23 AM by eldaec »

calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #6114 on: May 04, 2019, 02:51:27 PM

Heart

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #6115 on: May 04, 2019, 03:01:40 PM

Sadly she didn’t get the elephants she wanted.  Maybe Qyburn can build one for her?  ACK!

“Why the fuck would you ... ?” is like 80% of the conversation with Poly — Chimpy
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #6116 on: May 04, 2019, 06:00:29 PM

I'm still entertained by the show, maybe because I don't really see this as a dramatic decline in quality. If anything I'm at least grateful they dramatically cut down on a lot of the superfluous plot threads GRRM had been adding lately, but aside from that it seems pretty consistent with where he's likely going with things.

Amen. The first 3 books are great but if you want to talk about a decline in quality, you don't have to look at the show. Look at books 4 and 5 where the plot meanders with lots of new characters at least one of whom consumes several chapters only to die stupidly with all the indications that his chapters were nothing more than page fillers. Ugh. The last book especially felt like GRRM went to the Robert Jordan school of writing. "I'm going to throw in lots of pointless bullshit to pad this out because I have no idea where to take the story next."

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #6117 on: May 04, 2019, 06:39:49 PM

Sadly she didn’t get the elephants she wanted.  Maybe Qyburn can build one for her?  ACK!

Undead elephants would be awesome. Hell, right about now I'd pay money for Qyburn (sp) to sneak into Winterfell, raise the undead and WW and watch them slaughter every character with plot armor, then nuke them all Sept style leaving Cersei on the throne.

Cersei vs Dani - both are autocratic fuckups. Jon is a dithering idiot. Sansa is possibly the only remaining character who is even worthy, but fuck the Starks, if ever a bad decision was to be made, they would make it.

Actually, I really want Bran to be an avatar of the red god who has played the GoT at god level, allowed the stupid humans to achieve his goals by destroying the night king and will now make humanity pay. It would explain Mel's role in the Dothraki charge at least

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #6118 on: May 05, 2019, 04:43:00 PM

Wonder what kind of bullshit plan they will come up with that's not "Arya easily sneaks into the red keep using assassin magic and murders Cersei" which would be the easy and obvious thing to do, but now can't happen since she already took down the NK.

I am the .00000001428%
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #6119 on: May 05, 2019, 07:28:18 PM

Thank you for joining us for this week’s episode of the Young and the Restless.  why so serious?

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #6120 on: May 05, 2019, 08:09:40 PM

Man, you can REALLY feel how much the showrunners are like "We don't know what to do really, we just have this outline on a napkin with some pulled pork and wine stains on it, help".
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #6121 on: May 05, 2019, 09:06:23 PM

Yup, that was pretty lame. I almost dozed off twice.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #6122 on: May 05, 2019, 10:15:06 PM

That was really awful. Character motivations brought to you by words "roll int check" and "failed".

So, they're just going to make Dany fucking crazy, I guess. Yay. Go team. 

-Rasix
schild
Administrator

Reply #6123 on: May 05, 2019, 11:53:36 PM

i have some alternative theories for why this season is eight episodes long
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #6124 on: May 06, 2019, 01:10:27 AM

It's six episodes long.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Pages: 1 ... 173 174 [175] 176 177 ... 192 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Game of Thrones [SPOILERS]  
Jump to: