Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 03:28:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Game of Thrones [SPOILERS] 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 171 172 [173] 174 175 ... 192 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Game of Thrones [SPOILERS]  (Read 1116104 times)
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #6020 on: April 30, 2019, 03:48:46 AM

I do not know which ones are his (maybe all of them), but the Battle of the Bastards, the battle where Jaime and Bronn are leading the army back from Highgarden, and the battle during the Long Night are some of the best battle sequences ever put to film.  TV or movie.  Battle of the Bastards is the single best sequence.  I was physically impacted by it, I can still feel my chest tighten up.  If that's all the guy will be known for, I'd say that is one hell of a CV.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #6021 on: April 30, 2019, 04:42:39 AM

Hardhome, the Battle of the Bastards and then this episode.

He also did the last episode of s6 with the Sept explosion and Dany taking names on the way out of Mereen, and one of the least bad s5 episodes.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #6022 on: April 30, 2019, 04:49:08 AM

Hardhome was also really nice, though less impactful than the other two.  Pretty intense.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #6023 on: April 30, 2019, 05:43:09 AM

Arya fucking leaps out of nowhere and I was like oh shit!  That's right!
And then the Night King caught her and I was like oh shit!  He is going to kill her!
And then she drops the knife, catches it and kills him and I am like oh shit!  Arya fucking killed the Night King!

Basically my exact reaction. Loved it.

I watched some reaction videos on Youtube and this is how everyone seems to react. It's awesome seeing people get excited then freeze in place when he catches her. Some of them going "Noooo don't kill Arya!!!" then scream when she does the knife switch.

I was thinking about this episode last night. As near as I can tell only the following characters have any purpose going forward:

Arya
Sansa
Jon
Dany
Tyrion
(Maybe) Jaime
(Maybe) Sam

I'd have at least added Podric and Bran to the kill lists if I was the show writers. Especially Bran to symbolize both sides of the Old Ways (Children/NK and Green Seers) are gone. I'd also have been tempted to add Brienne to the kill lists and most definitely Grey Worm. Probably Missandei too.

Edit: Also, this episode probably will have a major impact on Dany. We were just shown how Jorah is a calming influence on her when he convinced her to keep Tyrion as hand and even talk to Sansa. She watched her Dothraki die and her Unsullied get decimated then Jorah dies in her arms. If she's going to go mad queen, I think they just set up the final push.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 05:45:19 AM by Riggswolfe »

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #6024 on: April 30, 2019, 05:56:49 AM

The way that Bran's importance was described by Sam really sucked, I thought. The Night King wants to kill Bran because he's memory or whatever? What? Like, the previous Three-Eyed Raven was up there north of the Wall forever and nobody in Westeros, even the Night's Watch, knew about it. Even the Free Folk didn't really. So what fucking good was all that memory to anybody? So unless Bran suddenly says, "Ok, now that we're done with all that shit, I can tell you everything about Cersei's movements, I can tell you she has a dragon-killing crossbow in King's Landing, etc., I can tell you exactly what to do to win big time", who the fuck cares about him? He is the most useless McGuffin in the history of McGuffins and every single drop of screentime given over to him in the entire series has been a waste of time, even the Hodor stuff. Better that Theon actually burned him and Rickon way back when.

Now if Bran had explained to everyone that the NK was basically an ancient doomsday device built by the Children but that he was also the one vulnerability that the Dead had because he was the portal through which neverending winter and death came into the world of men, and that the goal was for anyone with a Valyrian weapon to get to him, by any means necessary, that could have shaped a really different episode and made Bran necessary to the narrative. Suppose Bran says: he has to stay somewhat close to the army of the dead and the Walkers, so we know he's here somewhere. Imagine a battle plan that's basically "Hunt the Night King", with a lot of deliberate suicide wave attacks and character deaths, the same sense of chaos and uncanny doom, where every Valyrian weapon on the battlefield is the only thing that really matters. Then you could have a situation where most of the Valyrian wielders are eventually defeated or killed or are imminently going to die, but Arya's been hiding and waiting for her chance--maybe the bait isn't Bran but is Jon, essentially, and you finish the same way. I love that Arya was the one who took him out; I loved some of the set pieces in the episodes; but the overall narrative framing really fell flat for me and retroactively makes a lot of the entire series seem sort of pointless.

Phildo
Contributor

Reply #6025 on: April 30, 2019, 06:14:07 AM

Sansa is going to kill Cersei with the dagger Arya gave her.  That's my hot take for the rest of the season.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #6026 on: April 30, 2019, 07:46:04 AM

The way that Bran's importance was described by Sam really sucked, I thought. The Night King wants to kill Bran because he's memory or whatever? What? Like, the previous Three-Eyed Raven was up there north of the Wall forever and nobody in Westeros, even the Night's Watch, knew about it. Even the Free Folk didn't really. So what fucking good was all that memory to anybody? So unless Bran suddenly says, "Ok, now that we're done with all that shit, I can tell you everything about Cersei's movements, I can tell you she has a dragon-killing crossbow in King's Landing, etc., I can tell you exactly what to do to win big time", who the fuck cares about him? He is the most useless McGuffin in the history of McGuffins and every single drop of screentime given over to him in the entire series has been a waste of time, even the Hodor stuff. Better that Theon actually burned him and Rickon way back when.

Bran is a walking, well rolling, Library of Alexandria. Anything you need to know he can look it up. If the Night King had killed him a lot of knowledge would have been lost forever. It wouldn't have doomed the human race necessarily, but it would have been a blow.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #6027 on: April 30, 2019, 07:48:24 AM

I watched some reaction videos on Youtube and this is how everyone seems to react. It's awesome seeing people get excited then freeze in place when he catches her. Some of them going "Noooo don't kill Arya!!!" then scream when she does the knife switch.

I was thinking about this episode last night. As near as I can tell only the following characters have any purpose going forward:

Arya
Sansa
Jon
Dany
Tyrion
(Maybe) Jaime
(Maybe) Sam

I'd have at least added Podric and Bran to the kill lists if I was the show writers. Especially Bran to symbolize both sides of the Old Ways (Children/NK and Green Seers) are gone. I'd also have been tempted to add Brienne to the kill lists and most definitely Grey Worm. Probably Missandei too.

Edit: Also, this episode probably will have a major impact on Dany. We were just shown how Jorah is a calming influence on her when he convinced her to keep Tyrion as hand and even talk to Sansa. She watched her Dothraki die and her Unsullied get decimated then Jorah dies in her arms. If she's going to go mad queen, I think they just set up the final push.

I suspect they kept Bran around as a convenient way to keep dropping exposition (expositing? Is that a word?) on whats going on in the magical side of things. They'll use him to answer a few more of the lingering background questions.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #6028 on: April 30, 2019, 08:01:13 AM

I have a feeling GRRM gave the show runners the write up for Bran's arc, but it includes all sorts of extra stuff they didn't have time for so they are just dumbing it down in a way that seems really weird.  Like, The Three Eyed Crow probably reveals how being the memory of the world is vital for its continued survival, what the old gods were, how white walkers came about, ect.  All sorts of critical stuff about what actually drives the world and how it will all fall apart and become eternal winter if they do not keep up their eternal watch (and a recent failure on their part is why the Others have returned now).  But since they needed to speed things up and wiped out the entire Children/3ER crew, they're just like "Bran's the memory of the world, that's important for reasons we don't need to explain.  GRRM used the phrase memory of the world in his description, so he's that."

Honestly, now that the entire WW threat is gone, I don't actually care what happens much next.  Who actually 'took' the throne in the end was never of interest to me.  I mean, I always assumed they'd die when the White Walkers came streaming down because the 7 kingdoms destroyed themselves fighting internal wars instead of facing a great threat.  That's what's been hinted at all along.  But regardless, all the interesting people are dead.  Already mentioned how I dislike this version of Cersei, and we know she's going to die anyways.  The only way this might get interesting is if Euron pulls a double cross and seizes the throne, and its him they are dealing with.  Don't have much hope they have any sort of clever resolution to this in store.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #6029 on: April 30, 2019, 08:45:38 AM

Yeah, not only did they just sort of make the entire White Walker threat actually inconsequential, they didn't even kill off many characters.  It was fun to watch, but a let down overall. 

And it still amazes me how afraid the writers of doing anything beyond the most basic TV tropes.  Arya jumping out and stabbing him is whatever.  But if you're going to do that, have the super stealth magic assassin do it in some super stealth magic tricky way.  This is easy, its a no brainer, and would have made for a fun moment.  Instead she comes running from behind out of the giant horde of ice monsters who can sense the warmth of humans who somehow missed her for 5 minutes, and just jump through the air at him like Thor.

The White Walkers have ALWAYS been inconsequential. It's why Cersei just ignored them when she was shown they existed. It's a Northern problem, not a Lannister problem. They were a plot device to get characters to recognize how unimportant the Iron Throne is in the overall scheme of things. Who cares about this petty squabble for power and influence when fucking Winter is coming? I submit it was mostly there as an allegory and to make it a fantasy story, but A Song of Fire and Ice has always been about the humans, not the fantastical stuff.

As for Arya jumping out and stabbing him, she's a Faceless Man. She has some kind of magical ability to disguise herself. If they'd shown like 2 seconds of her magically disguised as an undead fucker then leaping out, there'd be no quibble there (or at least there shouldn't be). I just assume that's how she did it.

luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #6030 on: April 30, 2019, 09:00:31 AM

Nah, see, Three-Eyed Raven did his voodoo thing and flew Arya in on a murder of crows.

Yeah  why so serious?

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #6031 on: April 30, 2019, 09:07:03 AM

Bran's "library of Alexandria" is completely irrelevant to all of Westeros. Nobody knew that library was there, nobody drew upon it, nobody consulted it. Not even the Free Folk. Losing it would mean effectively nothing to anyone BUT the Children of the Forest, who might all be dead now anyway. There's an actual library of Alexandria in the Citadel and that's actually kind of useful. Losing Bran is losing something that has been entirely irrelevant except to Hodor, whose life was changed for the worse, and except for Jon, but he learned about his parentage from another source anyway.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #6032 on: April 30, 2019, 09:18:58 AM

He was instrumental in determining that Jon was a Targaryen.  But beyond that....yeah, I agree.  Still, a few episodes to go, he might do something meaningful.

Miguel
Terracotta Army

कुशल

Reply #6033 on: April 30, 2019, 09:37:49 AM

Not sure if everyone knows this, but the music composer of Game of Thrones (Ramin Djawadi) is the same one as does Westworld - that entire episode had that same feeling, which was totally awesome.

“We have competent people thinking about this stuff. We’re not just making shit up.” -Neil deGrasse Tyson
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #6034 on: April 30, 2019, 10:03:35 AM

The White Walkers have ALWAYS been inconsequential. It's why Cersei just ignored them when she was shown they existed. It's a Northern problem, not a Lannister problem. They were a plot device to get characters to recognize how unimportant the Iron Throne is in the overall scheme of things. Who cares about this petty squabble for power and influence when fucking Winter is coming? I submit it was mostly there as an allegory and to make it a fantasy story, but A Song of Fire and Ice has always been about the humans, not the fantastical stuff.

As for Arya jumping out and stabbing him, she's a Faceless Man. She has some kind of magical ability to disguise herself. If they'd shown like 2 seconds of her magically disguised as an undead fucker then leaping out, there'd be no quibble there (or at least there shouldn't be). I just assume that's how she did it.

There's a somewhat hilarious debate on Reddit about the whole sequence. If you go back to the last shot of Jon in front of the Dragon, when he stands up and yells at it, it sounds very much like "GOOOO! GO, GO, GO". Then a few moments later we see the breeze rustle the walker's hair, and Arya leap out of the darkness. So people are trying to force in this idea that Jon really did contribute to the downfall of the Night King, as opposed to him just getting pissed off and committing suicide in the dragon's face.

Either way, I don't think the inference was that she was disguised - it was simply that she was fast and stealthy (a fact referenced multiple times), and they were all distracted by their Boss about to kill their version of the big bad.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #6035 on: April 30, 2019, 10:05:58 AM

Either way, I don't think the inference was that she was disguised - it was simply that she was fast and stealthy (a fact referenced multiple times), and they were all distracted by their Boss about to kill their version of the big bad.

I'm ok with either interpretation just because "rule of cool." The scene was utter fanservice but shit it made me cheer so I don't give a fuck how it happened.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #6036 on: April 30, 2019, 10:55:54 AM

Not sure if everyone knows this, but the music composer of Game of Thrones (Ramin Djawadi) is the same one as does Westworld - that entire episode had that same feeling, which was totally awesome.

That piano sequence during the night king scene did sound very west worldy.

I am the .00000001428%
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #6037 on: April 30, 2019, 11:00:08 AM

I really liked the fact that there was almost zero dialog in the last 30 minutes. They just let the music and visuals carry the mood.

Miguel
Terracotta Army

कुशल

Reply #6038 on: April 30, 2019, 11:06:44 AM

Link to music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1frgt0D_f4

It has that same gut-wrenching build up that Westworld does.  He is definitely the next up-and-coming John Williams or Hans Zimmer.

“We have competent people thinking about this stuff. We’re not just making shit up.” -Neil deGrasse Tyson
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #6039 on: April 30, 2019, 11:35:42 AM

If there is one thing that sums up my disappointment with Season 8 so far. Is that for a show that prides itself on engaging its audience.  Is now demanding we turn our brain off and watch the pretty pictures in order to enjoy it.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #6040 on: April 30, 2019, 12:28:59 PM

That piano sequence during the night king scene did sound very west worldy.

My wife and I looked at each other and said the same exact thing.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #6041 on: April 30, 2019, 12:29:53 PM

If there is one thing that sums up my disappointment with Season 8 so far. Is that for a show that prides itself on engaging its audience.  Is now demanding we turn our brain off and watch the pretty pictures in order to enjoy it.

The show has always had elements of bad ass dragons, tits, knights and swords and cool shows. Where the hell have you been.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #6042 on: April 30, 2019, 01:38:32 PM

The composer did the Game of Thrones theme (and most of the other music) long before Westworld was on the air.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Miguel
Terracotta Army

कुशल

Reply #6043 on: April 30, 2019, 01:51:21 PM

The composer did the Game of Thrones theme (and most of the other music) long before Westworld was on the air.
True, but this was the first GOT episode (perhaps there were others) where the music was essentially the only dialog for the last 30 minutes of the episode, and really defined the entire feel of the scenes...like great music really should.  What was striking to me was just how much that episode *felt* like watching Westworld. :)

MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #6044 on: April 30, 2019, 01:58:52 PM

The show has always had elements of bad ass dragons, tits, knights and swords and cool shows. Where the hell have you been.

The show being Cool != the show being Dumb. We can have a cool and smart show. We don't have that now, but we used to and I can lament that loss while enjoying the pretty action sequences.
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #6045 on: April 30, 2019, 02:20:34 PM

He also did the slow/moody tracks for System Shock 2 (the techno tracks were written by another dude), and I think those tracks were pretty significant in setting up the (spooky/oppressive) atmosphere...

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #6046 on: April 30, 2019, 07:17:18 PM

True, but this was the first GOT episode (perhaps there were others) where the music was essentially the only dialog for the last 30 minutes of the episode, and really defined the entire feel of the scenes...like great music really should.  What was striking to me was just how much that episode *felt* like watching Westworld. :)

Bringing in the piano was reminiscent of the opening to the episode where Cersei blew up the Sept which was the first time the instrument had been used on the show and similarly used here to underscore a long series of events cut together.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #6047 on: April 30, 2019, 07:51:32 PM

This is a great write up of the battle. It's a sort of tongue in cheek military analysis.

https://www.wired.com/story/game-of-thrones-winterfell-battle-tactical-analysis/

Instead, the Dothraki are ordered forward into an attack before the enemy situation is even known. This move, sometimes known as a “Custer,” predictably ends in ruin for the Dothraki cavalry, who get chewed up and spat out in an unsupported frontal attack.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #6048 on: April 30, 2019, 08:11:03 PM

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #6049 on: May 01, 2019, 01:00:52 AM

He is too kind on the cavalry charge.

Aside from that, 'try to stay alive until Jon and Dany find a way to murder the king' was probably the only strategy available, but the godswood bait element wasn't well integrated with the rest of that plan.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #6050 on: May 01, 2019, 01:17:31 AM

This move, sometimes known as a “Custer,”

Yep this one was a Custerfuck.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #6051 on: May 01, 2019, 03:06:19 AM

Aside from that, 'try to stay alive until Jon and Dany find a way to murder the king' was probably the only strategy available, but the godswood bait element wasn't well integrated with the rest of that plan.

While it was unfolding on the screen, I chose to ignore the problems with the whole baiting idea in the godswood, but on recollection it really didn't make sense at all.  As if the whole strategy was to lure the Night King to Bran and then..........what exactly?  Have Theon and a dozen iron born get slaughtered?  Good trap, guys.  I get that it was never the point to have a real trap sprung there, but they could have at least tried to pretend as if there was one.  Like they did when lighting up the trench (Dany was supposed to light it, Melisandre did instead).

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #6052 on: May 01, 2019, 04:51:17 AM

Nah, I actually like his defense of the cavalry charge.  I mean, he still criticized it, but he made some good points about its strategic purpose.  Also, a Dothraki horde on foot trying to defend is mostly useless, so honestly the only real gambit was to fire them off like preemptive rocket strike and hope for the best:

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #6053 on: May 01, 2019, 04:57:00 AM

Well, and having their swords lit on fire....the bigger problem with that scene, IMO, is that that they went out way too easily.  People did just fine inside the keep without fire swords, there is no reason a Dothraki charge on horseback with flaming swords wouldn't have been extremely effective, at least to the extent that they should not have been snuffed out in 30 seconds.  It was just a simple plot choice.

calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #6054 on: May 01, 2019, 05:44:33 AM

Hah, that the night king died was not totally but somewhat (it was an mentioned option, just people said: Cant do that, you cant built a threat for 8 episodes and then just kill it in one episode)  made sure I will end the show on a happy note.

Cersei is gonna die, but she did better than I would have expected. Who would have thought in season one, that the ultimate evil, the terror the realm unites again, is an border-line alcoholic with a reputation of being a shitty schemer. (Again, I am not defending her, I like her because her faults).

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Pages: 1 ... 171 172 [173] 174 175 ... 192 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Game of Thrones [SPOILERS]  
Jump to: