Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 07:11:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Game of Thrones [SPOILERS] 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153 154 ... 192 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Game of Thrones [SPOILERS]  (Read 1116071 times)
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #5285 on: August 06, 2017, 07:53:36 PM

My biggest complaint about the battle:

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #5286 on: August 06, 2017, 08:00:35 PM

TBF, how many battles has she been in where there has actually been ANY counter to her dragons at all?

Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #5287 on: August 06, 2017, 08:05:33 PM

Fantastic episode and Arya, holy shit.  She doesn't seem to need any training.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 08:22:21 PM by Brolan »
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #5288 on: August 06, 2017, 08:06:07 PM

That was fucking great. Arya vs. Brienne was good enough, then they had to add one of the most visually impressive battles they've done. That was movie level battle. I don't know how they did it on a TV budget but they need to keep it up.

They don't have traditional TV budgets anymore. They are spending tens of millions per episode now since the show pretty much is what drives HBOs revenue right now.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #5289 on: August 06, 2017, 08:44:54 PM

What a cheesy TV ending

Littlefinger was pretty funny, must've made at least a half dozen creepy sideways glances.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #5290 on: August 06, 2017, 08:51:50 PM

Awwwww yessss. That's the good stuff. 

Better not rob me of eleventy billion points either.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #5291 on: August 07, 2017, 03:31:45 AM

My biggest complaint about the battle:

ed: Using quotes instead of spoilers is why you shouldn't post from your phone before you're fully awake.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 07:10:05 AM by Merusk »

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #5292 on: August 07, 2017, 06:48:28 AM

Assuming Drogon is only lightly injured as the end seemed to imply and Qyburn didn't poison the ballista bolt or anything of that sort, I think Dany is now forewarned and won't come at one of those directly like that again. I also assume it will be a battlefield priority for Dothraki or other troops to take out any ballistas if they spot them.

But also, you gotta hand it to Qyburn for design genius--a ballista that shoots a bolt of that size that a single man can hand-crank in seconds *and* that has a quick swivel for targetting. They say Westeros is technologically stagnant, but how about that? 21st Century humanity couldn't make anything like that, there must be more magic in Westeros than just ice and fire these days.

The more interesting question at this point is how the hell the White Walkers will counter dragons, because otherwise this is going to end pretty quick once Ice and Fire meet up.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #5293 on: August 07, 2017, 06:51:23 AM

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #5294 on: August 07, 2017, 06:55:30 AM

Thinking about it some more, how is he sinking in 50+ feet of water when he goes in 3 feet from the shore? That's some kind of pond.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #5295 on: August 07, 2017, 06:57:47 AM

Yeah, like it's a bizarre glacial water pit or something. It's not even necessary for dramatic effect--if you're in armor, 3 feet of water is enough to fuck you, especially if you have to stay at the bottom because of dragon fire.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #5296 on: August 07, 2017, 07:11:34 AM

It was a river or canal, not a pond, wasn't it?  I assumed it was a canal and had been dredged to allow commerce ships to King's Landing from the Midlands.

Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #5297 on: August 07, 2017, 07:52:04 AM

My GF said last night...'so wtf is taking the whitewalkers so long up there? I mean, I've seen them move fast as hell....'  .... Indeed! I guess living armies are the only ones that can teleport. Or move faster than a snail's pace.  I really do miss travel time in this show. Feels like I'm watching a DVR recording at x4 for them to fit it all in before the show is done.

Good episode, though. Lefty Jamie should have been long dead in that battle though. As much as I like Bronn, he should have died too. I guess he didn't go for the gold, so that buys him a life.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #5298 on: August 07, 2017, 07:55:37 AM

Looked pretty damn blue for a canal! But maybe Westeros has magic water purifier or something.

Maybe the walkers are stopped at the Wall to slowly crumble its foundations or something like that. Though judging from a few words in next week's preview, maybe they're waiting for the ice to freeze at Eastwatch. Which feels a bit like a cheat, if they can just go around the Wall in a really cold winter.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #5299 on: August 07, 2017, 08:02:38 AM

I bet that Tyrion will ride down, they'll pull Jamie out of the canal/River/glacial lake and make him a prisoner. That way they'd have a huge bargaining chip over Cersei (maybe). Plus we'll get some fun Lannister sibling banter.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #5300 on: August 07, 2017, 08:11:38 AM

I think if he has to wait for Tyrion to get there on a horse, he's got a helluva set of lungs.

Re-watching, I also think maybe that was Dickon who tackled Jamie, not Bronn?
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #5301 on: August 07, 2017, 08:20:09 AM

Dickon...*snicker*

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #5302 on: August 07, 2017, 08:20:43 AM

I think if he has to wait for Tyrion to get there on a horse, he's got a helluva set of lungs.

Re-watching, I also think maybe that was Dickon who tackled Jamie, not Bronn?

No it was Bronn.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
schild
Administrator

Reply #5303 on: August 07, 2017, 08:23:15 AM

Jaime really should've fucking died.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #5304 on: August 07, 2017, 08:46:59 AM

Dickon...*snicker*

Best part of the episode.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #5305 on: August 07, 2017, 08:47:21 AM

Jaime really should've fucking died.
Yeah.....I've loved his character for the first half of the series, but then the last two seasons they didn't know what to do with him, and now he's literally going backwards in character development this season.  Dying in a gloriously stupid attempt at heroics on the battlefield would be so him, and might have actually punched some character development into the other faltering Lannister on the show.  Actually, this episode missed out on a lot of main or not so main characters dying, and they all magically lived like normal TV characters.  Killing Sand Snakes (the most hated characters on the show) does not get you past your edgy death quotient for the season HBO!

Also, I literally just watched it on my PC.  Its not a canal, its a god damn pond they were fighting around.  Jaime was actually riding his horse way into it (thus implying it was pretty shallow) when he got tackled.  I literally stood and threw my hands up when they showed him sinking down to the abyss.  Also, Khaldun is totally right about the magic spear gun.  That thing was massive and made out of wood, yet he swiveled it around like it weighed 5 pounds (not to mention something like that normally takes a god damn team of men to wind up).  I love Bronn, but he should have comically said something about wishing he'd grabbed the gold instead, right before getting roasted after fucking up that last shot.

Also also, who knew that House Tyrell had enough gold laying around to pay off the debts of a massive kingdom that had been racking up massive kingdom sized debts year after year for the last 20 years.  Hopefully Cersei acts in character and does something stupid with the gold, yet still gets the Iron Bank to enlist the Golden Company to help her.  Which, true to the iron banks word, they use to extract debts from people.  Who then proceed to sack Kingslanding and rape Cersei to death.

Other than all of that, I actually enjoyed the episode!   awesome, for real

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
schild
Administrator

Reply #5306 on: August 07, 2017, 08:52:49 AM

Dickon...*snicker*

Really? Not Arya saying "no one" told her to fight like that? Your favorite part was the dick joke?
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #5307 on: August 07, 2017, 10:15:33 AM

I thought of that too.  It would be epic.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #5308 on: August 07, 2017, 10:17:47 AM

Hopefully Cersei acts in character and does something stupid with the gold

What gold?   DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Liked this episode quite a bit.  

I was glad that Arya heading back to Winterfell wasn't a tease.  Her sparring with Brienne was  DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS.  Really curious what's going through Littlefinger's head -- I imagine he's thinking that she'll be a useful tool, but it seems to me he should be a little more worried about ending up on her list.

When we first saw the scorpion my thought was "man, that's gonna be useless given how hard they'd be to reload and re-aim after a missed shot," so I guess they had to make them a little unrealistic in order to have one of them pose a credible threat.  As always, I'm curious to see how that stuff gets handled in the books (someday) since GRRM seems the type to nerd out about the actual feasibility of stuff like that.

I like that we'll probably get some Jaime/Tyrion banter out of this latest development, but am bummed that it'll delay Jaime telling Cersei what Oleanna told him.  Was looking forward to seeing the look on her face.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #5309 on: August 07, 2017, 10:35:28 AM

I would kind of love it if the gold gets stolen ten feet inside the gates of King's Landing. I wouldn't be too surprised if Cersei does something like give it to the Iron Bankers and then tell Euron to go pillage the Iron Bank's ships and get it back. But if so I would hope the Iron Bank turn out to be ready for treachery, because that's 100% one of the oldest stunts ever and any group of bankers who fall for that shit would never have gotten to the point they're at.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #5310 on: August 07, 2017, 11:21:57 AM

I was glad that Arya heading back to Winterfell wasn't a tease.  Her sparring with Brienne was  DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS.  Really curious what's going through Littlefinger's head -- I imagine he's thinking that she'll be a useful tool, but it seems to me he should be a little more worried about ending up on her list.

I'm not sure, but since he did betray her dad and she might actually know that, Littlefinger may already be on her list.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #5311 on: August 07, 2017, 11:42:26 AM

Okay, did I totally misinterpret the whole "dragons flaming the wagons" scene?  Because y'all are talking like Cersei's getting her gold, but I thought those wagons were carrying the Tyrell gold back to King's Landing and Dany just completely fucked up that whole plan and put Cersei in deep shit with the Iron Bank.  On top of wiping out the Lannister/Tarly army and probably capturing Jaime.  It's not *quite* as much of a "fuck you" as sacking King's Landing but it's in many ways more effective since there are no civilian casualties this way, while Cersei is still completely crippled.

While Cersei and Mycroft (I forget his actual name) were talking, Mycroft said something about "when the gold arrives" and my girlfriend immediately said "that's foreshadowing and that gold's not going to arrive."  This was quickly followed by motherfucking dragons showing up to fuck up the wagon train that was transporting the gold.  I'm pretty sure Cersei does not in fact get to pay off her debts at this time.

(edit) re: Littlefinger, given that Sansa doesn't know that Littlefinger betrayed Ned, and she's been much closer to him for all this time, I don't think Arya does either.  The only ways I can think of for her to find out are if:
1) Littlefinger lets it slip (I don't think he's even remotely that dumb)
2) Bran sees it and tells her (this seems way more likely, but I don't know why he wouldn't have done that when they were talking about the knife)
3) She gets to have a conversation with someone else who was with the Lannisters at the time of the betrayal -- Cersei, Varys, Tyrion, or Jaime.  Cersei seems most likely -- Arya shows up to whack Cersei, and Cersei's parting shot is "you dumbass, you're after me for double-crossing your dad and you're palling around with the guy who held the knife to his throat on my orders"
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 11:49:46 AM by Samwise »

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #5312 on: August 07, 2017, 11:55:53 AM

There's a line just before the attack, where someone confirms to Jaime that the gold had arrived at King's Landing. It had been sent off ahead while they were busy flogging farmers for their crops.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #5313 on: August 07, 2017, 12:01:41 PM

Yeah that was all grain. Tarly explicitly says the gold's safe inside KL.

(edit) re: Littlefinger, given that Sansa doesn't know that Littlefinger betrayed Ned, and she's been much closer to him for all this time, I don't think Arya does either.  The only ways I can think of for her to find out are if:

4) Arya saw Littlefinger conspiring with Tywin at Harrenhal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9jac7Qg9w4
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 12:05:39 PM by Merusk »

schild
Administrator

Reply #5314 on: August 07, 2017, 12:03:16 PM

Yeah she killed the foodstuffs.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #5315 on: August 07, 2017, 12:05:22 PM

Dickon...*snicker*

Really? Not Arya saying "no one" told her to fight like that? Your favorite part was the dick joke?

duh.

Zetleft
Terracotta Army

Reply #5316 on: August 07, 2017, 12:36:47 PM

I'm not sure, but since he did betray her dad and she might actually know that, Littlefinger may already be on her list.

I'm sure Littlefinger was already unnerved as fuck after Bran parroted his "chaos is a ladder" line back at him (one of the best moments seeing Littlefinger totally surprised).  He is straight up wondering how fucked he is. 

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #5317 on: August 07, 2017, 12:38:27 PM

There's a lot of talk about character X should have died, plot armor or that the show/books were way edgier when it came to killing major characters in the past.  To that I say, they were never major characters.  They were all players in the game but they were rooks and bishops or just pawns.  The final roster has been set in stone from the beginning and now that it's coming to a close of course there will be fewer and fewer deaths of players because they were never meant to die in the first place.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #5318 on: August 07, 2017, 01:03:11 PM

What a cheesy TV ending

Littlefinger was pretty funny, must've made at least a half dozen creepy sideways glances.

Plus side the actor is highly skilled at creepy sideways glances so he does it well.
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #5319 on: August 07, 2017, 01:07:38 PM

Okay, did I totally misinterpret the whole "dragons flaming the wagons" scene?  Because y'all are talking like Cersei's getting her gold, but I thought those wagons were carrying the Tyrell gold back to King's Landing and Dany just completely fucked up that whole plan and put Cersei in deep shit with the Iron Bank.  On top of wiping out the Lannister/Tarly army and probably capturing Jaime.  It's not *quite* as much of a "fuck you" as sacking King's Landing but it's in many ways more effective since there are no civilian casualties this way, while Cersei is still completely crippled.

While Cersei and Mycroft (I forget his actual name) were talking, Mycroft said something about "when the gold arrives" and my girlfriend immediately said "that's foreshadowing and that gold's not going to arrive."  This was quickly followed by motherfucking dragons showing up to fuck up the wagon train that was transporting the gold.  I'm pretty sure Cersei does not in fact get to pay off her debts at this time.

1) Littlefinger lets it slip (I don't think he's even remotely that dumb)
2) Bran sees it and tells her (this seems way more likely, but I don't know why he wouldn't have done that when they were talking about the knife)
3) She gets to have a conversation with someone else who was with the Lannisters at the time of the betrayal -- Cersei, Varys, Tyrion, or Jaime.  Cersei seems most likely -- Arya shows up to whack Cersei, and Cersei's parting shot is "you dumbass, you're after me for double-crossing your dad and you're palling around with the guy who held the knife to his throat on my orders"

They talk at the very start of the scene how the money had arrived at kings landing. The what was blown up was the rest of the baggage train and other spoils/loot/food they had pillaged as well as blowing up their army in the field. So they were not fast enough to destroy the gold but now cersai has the gold but no longer a good chunk of her armor or the foodstuff they need.
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153 154 ... 192 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Game of Thrones [SPOILERS]  
Jump to: