Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 03:22:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Game of Thrones [SPOILERS] 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 192 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Game of Thrones [SPOILERS]  (Read 1116103 times)
WayAbvPar

Reply #3325 on: September 05, 2014, 09:38:34 AM

It will be even more jarring when the actor gets screen time again. He is in that 'growing like a weed' face of adolescence and will probably be Hodor's size after a year off.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #3326 on: September 05, 2014, 11:51:45 AM

Well, in his case, they can explain it well enough through all the freaky magical shit that's about to happen to him.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #3327 on: September 06, 2014, 06:14:13 PM

Or do what they've been doing and just recast him.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #3328 on: September 07, 2014, 07:40:08 PM

Or do what they've been doing and just recast him.

That story line is mostly uninteresting enough that I doubt many people have been paying enough attention to notice anyways.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #3329 on: September 07, 2014, 08:52:07 PM

They are direct and unsubtle after the fact though.

Umm. No. Unless after the fact is 'right after reading it'.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #3330 on: September 08, 2014, 12:37:57 AM

My first read through I can't say I got more than a couple of the prophecies.

At least in part because I wasn't really looking for them and the dream/vision sequences weren't very readable unless you can be bothered to spend the energy puzzling them out.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #3331 on: September 08, 2014, 01:26:53 AM

Maybe. But GRRM was far to clear with Ned in his fight with Arthur Dayne. From there joining dots wasn't such an effort.
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #3332 on: October 19, 2014, 05:44:07 PM

Next season is being fillmed right now. Alcázar palace in Sevilla will be the stand in for Dorne. Very pretty.

In hindsight good that Cortés killed all those Atzecs, or we wouldn't have such nice sets too today!  why so serious?

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #3333 on: October 19, 2014, 05:50:52 PM

In hindsight good that Cortés killed all those Atzecs, or we wouldn't have such nice sets too today!  why so serious?

Sevilla is in Spain.

Though Spaniards did kill people to get Alcázar Palace.  They were Moors though, not Aztecs.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #3334 on: October 19, 2014, 06:01:12 PM

In hindsight good that Cortés killed all those Atzecs, or we wouldn't have such nice sets too today!  why so serious?

Sevilla is in Spain.

Though Spaniards did kill people to get Alcázar Palace.  They were Moors though, not Aztecs.

And Cortes was Spanish. Or am I missing something here?

Wiki says Alcázar goes back to the Moors, but that the majority of it was built for Peter of Castile.

Edit: But ok, the time-line is wrong Peter I. "The Cruel" predates Cortes by a good 200 years. So he had nothing to do with it. Serves me right for making factious jokes.

Edit2: The El Pais article about the filming said there was previously appearing male actor present that couldn't be named because it would have been a spoiler. Probably a mystery only for non-booker readers.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 06:12:05 PM by calapine »

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #3335 on: October 20, 2014, 12:33:03 AM

It is a spoiler for everyone, that guy doesn't go there in the book.

But not much of a mystery for readers of this thread who have looked at your prior post.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 09:04:29 AM by eldaec »

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #3336 on: October 21, 2014, 03:07:24 PM

Huh, interesting.  Guess sending him down there makes more sense than what he did in the 4 book.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #3337 on: October 21, 2014, 03:48:41 PM

It is a spoiler for everyone, that guy doesn't go there in the book.

But not much of a mystery for readers of this thread who have looked at your prior post.
Huh, interesting.  Guess sending him down there makes more sense than what he did in the 4 book.

Ohhh....now I get it. You mean Jamie!

I was under the assumption the article referred to someone else. They hardly would write "We can't name who it is!" and then put his picture right besides, no?  wink

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #3338 on: October 24, 2014, 05:06:11 AM

I've always been a bit sceptical of theories about how and when the tv show would diverge from the books, but on top of the pictures above there are Tyrion pictures online that handle his story in a significantly different way.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #3339 on: October 24, 2014, 05:49:06 AM

This would be the perfect season to diverge from the books anyway. How many useless characters were introduced in book 4 & 5. People who've served no purpose at all and were actually dead or entirely out of the story by the end of 5.

Martin's lost the plot, it shows, and now's the time when the show needs to start that split. Book 6 won't be out by the time season 5 is supposed to be aired, and books 4&5 only really had enough for one season of non-wankery.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #3340 on: October 24, 2014, 05:56:39 AM

This may be the only example of book-turned-film (whether TV or movie) where I thought that the live adaptation was far superior to the book.  They do almost everything better than Martin.  Therefore, by all means, let them do what they want with it.

Tyrion himself is a good example.  He is a really good character in the book.  He is fucking beyond great in the TV show.  Much about him is different, because of the liberties the show has taken.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #3341 on: October 24, 2014, 06:09:47 AM

I disagree.

TV Tyrion is a Mary-sue.

TV Tyrion is still fucking great, but the book does a better job of writing an actual person, admittedly it is mostly because you can go inside his head.

I do think they made a better live adaptation than a more literal transfer would have been. Book made good decisions for a book, TV made better decisions for TV. So far at least.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #3342 on: October 24, 2014, 06:15:00 AM

We can agree to disagree about Tyrion, but at least it is fair to say they are different characters.  Is one better than the other?  Well, one of them made a dwarf actor a world famous award winning superstar, and that is mind blowing.

Whatever.  The only real point I mean to make is that the TV show is tightly done, well scripted and always hitting the mark (rapey stuff aside).  You cannot say the same for the books.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #3343 on: October 24, 2014, 09:22:25 AM

Book Tyrion is a Mary-Sue as well. Book 4&5 Tyrion should have been dead about 300 times over.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #3344 on: October 24, 2014, 10:08:01 AM

We can agree to disagree about Tyrion, but at least it is fair to say they are different characters.  Is one better than the other?  Well, one of them made a dwarf actor a world famous award winning superstar, and that is mind blowing.

Whatever.  The only real point I mean to make is that the TV show is tightly done, well scripted and always hitting the mark (rapey stuff aside).  You cannot say the same for the books.

Totally agree, I guess I'm just adding that the books are not trying to be a tight plot led piece the way the TV show is, and I like having both.

Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #3345 on: October 24, 2014, 11:59:59 AM

Asides from the much tighter editing job on the plot (which I also prefer over the book's meandering ways) The TV series also fixed stuff like their ages all being out of whack too. Sansa is supposed to be 12 in the book, Bran like 8. Other people like Loras Tyrell are like 15 at the start of the saga but one of the best fighters in the world? The TV series just appropriately cast people who look 5 years older than what the book lists them at and then never really mentions the number in the dialogue.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #3346 on: October 24, 2014, 12:12:04 PM

Totally agree, I guess I'm just adding that the books are not trying to be a tight plot led piece the way the TV show is, and I like having both.

Well then I guess we agree about that too, because I like the way the books are written too for the most part.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #3347 on: October 24, 2014, 04:28:18 PM

Asides from the much tighter editing job on the plot (which I also prefer over the book's meandering ways) The TV series also fixed stuff like their ages all being out of whack too. Sansa is supposed to be 12 in the book, Bran like 8. Other people like Loras Tyrell are like 15 at the start of the saga but one of the best fighters in the world? The TV series just appropriately cast people who look 5 years older than what the book lists them at and then never really mentions the number in the dialogue.

I just assume that on the ASOIF planet, years are about 480 earth-days long, or maybe days are 32 earth hours long (I haven't come across anything to contradict either one), and it all more or less works out.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #3348 on: October 24, 2014, 04:56:29 PM

I just assume that on the ASOIF planet, years are about 480 earth-days long, or maybe days are 32 earth hours long (I haven't come across anything to contradict either one), and it all more or less works out.

The entire concept of a "year" kinda loses its meaning on a planet where the seasons are of variable length.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #3349 on: November 27, 2014, 04:03:01 PM

There is a new trailer.

I'd link it but you are all capable of using Google.

Anyway, trailer is 11 seconds long and about some psycho teenager who is in season 5.

calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #3350 on: November 27, 2014, 04:14:01 PM

There is a new trailer.

I'd link it but you are all capable of using Google.

Anyway, trailer is 11 seconds long and about some psycho teenager who is in season 5.

I wouldn't call something 11 seconds long a trailer.

Anyway, to save others the work (as "game of thrones trailer" turns up quite a lot of different stuff):

http://youtu.be/G6nkcf974Ys

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #3351 on: December 22, 2014, 01:58:56 PM

GRRM working to make sure he does not survive to finish writing this series...

http://www.blastr.com/2014-12-22/george-rr-martin-wants-show-controversial-film-interview-his-own-theatre

History books will speak of the world uniting against North Korea after NK attacked his theater and denied us the resolution to Fire and Ice...

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #3352 on: January 30, 2015, 06:08:19 PM

Season 5 trailer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDb4sJVK2wU

Plus GRRM confirms: no new book for 2015. So it's kind of official: the TV series is more likely to finish the story than the original author.

Honestly, that might be for the better. At least some of the time, their instincts are better than his.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #3353 on: January 30, 2015, 07:26:39 PM

Not if they remove Jamie's riverland adventures.

I am the .00000001428%
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #3354 on: January 31, 2015, 01:04:41 AM

Tyrion confirmed for Team Dany.   DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #3355 on: January 31, 2015, 01:09:22 AM

As far as just the quality of how well the trailers have been put together go, the Season 3 trailer is still the best.  The song for this Season 5 trailer sucked.

Over and out.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #3356 on: January 31, 2015, 01:10:08 AM

The song was "Heroes" originally by Bowie. I like that version of it, though I'm not sure who did it.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #3357 on: January 31, 2015, 02:33:29 AM

Bewbs

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #3358 on: February 02, 2015, 06:10:12 PM

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #3359 on: March 24, 2015, 09:58:45 AM

Series runners confirmed that the upcoming season will not just go past where Martin is in the books, but will specifically spoil things that Martin has told them are going to be in the books to come, and that the season after that will very much spoil books that Martin can't possibly write in between now and its likely premiere date. Plan is apparently to use Martin's outlines and notes to complete the series. Makes you wonder a bit if Martin is just going to finish writing the next one and then say, "Eh, fuck it, I'm done, watch the show."
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 192 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Game of Thrones [SPOILERS]  
Jump to: