Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 11:15:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Game of Thrones [SPOILERS] 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 192 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Game of Thrones [SPOILERS]  (Read 1116188 times)
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #3115 on: June 10, 2014, 03:12:36 PM

Really? Shit, I don't remember that at ALL. Not that my memory is the greatest.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #3116 on: June 11, 2014, 06:16:38 AM

I see three candidates for last scene of the season, and my best guess is a crap load more likely in my eyes.

I think your best guess is more likely to happen mid-late episode and the last scene of the episode will be the same one as the last scene of the book.

There has to be a fairly good chance they won't do this.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #3117 on: June 11, 2014, 06:41:33 AM

Otoh I imagine they would have leaked that they weren't doing it by now, just to manage expectations.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #3118 on: June 11, 2014, 06:48:00 AM

I think some of the things you mentioned are going to be in the first couple of episodes of next season and not in the first episode of this one. I can see in my mind 2 possibilities of what the final image is going to be, and both of them are part of the same "smelly" scenario.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #3119 on: June 11, 2014, 12:38:32 PM

Otoh I imagine they would have leaked that they weren't doing it by now, just to manage expectations.

FWIW HBO has submitted Episode 10 for an Emmy for:

I kind of take that as an indicator.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #3120 on: June 11, 2014, 12:49:39 PM

FWIW HBO has submitted Episode 10 for an Emmy for:

I kind of take that as an indicator.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #3121 on: June 11, 2014, 12:52:37 PM

ACK!

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #3122 on: June 11, 2014, 01:02:58 PM

Syfy/Blastr gets a lot wrong, but I do like this....

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #3123 on: June 11, 2014, 03:53:15 PM

It's pretty retarded really, he's not randomly killing people for the hell of it.  People die exactly where they should.

I am the .00000001428%
Pagz
Terracotta Army

I AM GOING TO WRESTLE THIS BEAR WITH MY BARE HANDS!

Reply #3124 on: June 11, 2014, 03:55:11 PM

It's pretty retarded really, he's not randomly killing people for the hell of it.  People die exactly where they should.
I'll hold you to that, hopefully all this death is going somewhere (that's not a disappointing ending).
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #3125 on: June 11, 2014, 05:39:45 PM

I would agree with that except for Oberyn vs The Mountain. That was just the classic hur hur I lost the fight but wait my last gasp will let me win anyways.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #3126 on: June 11, 2014, 05:53:32 PM

I would agree with that except for Oberyn vs The Mountain. That was just the classic hur hur I lost the fight but wait my last gasp will let me win anyways.

Oberyn was obsessed with revenge, and that made him sloppy.  He knew (and we the audience knew, thanks to foreshadowing) that his only way to beat the Mountain was to stay out of reach and wear him down, and that if he ever got in arm's reach he was fucked.  He got in arm's reach to try to extract his precious confession.  Oops.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #3127 on: June 11, 2014, 07:03:28 PM

I disagree, Oberyn was just another flawed character who paid the price when he let his flaws get the best of him at a crucial moment.

I am the .00000001428%
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #3128 on: June 11, 2014, 07:43:14 PM

Nah, even a dude that big and strong isn't doing that after the stabbing he got, plus the poison, plus the general exhaustion of the fight.

Like, if he killed him during the fight, if Oberyn's obsession caused him to miss a dodge or get too close or whatever, fine. He gets cleaved in two and the fights over.

Reverse the situation, say the Mountain had got a hold of Oberyn and was starting to crush him but at the last moment Oberyn pulls out a hidden dagger from his sleeve and stabs the Mountain and wins the day. It would be horse shit that served the plot or whatever you want to call it.

Feels the same to me here, doesn't feel like what would happen, but what the author wanted to happen for whatever reason.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #3129 on: June 11, 2014, 11:55:47 PM

People fuck up and die IRL
Oberyn fucked up and died - it happens. I always feel that GRRM doesn't kill characters to make a point other than to show that all men can die.

Sets the scene for the sand snakes, revenge and Dorne because King's Landing is pretty much played out leaving us with for the North/wall and beyond and Dany sitting on her arse doing sweet FA.

I'm hoping they really break with Dany's story and get things moving towards Bravos and Dorne.

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #3130 on: June 12, 2014, 05:49:29 AM

Oberyn's poison is very slow-acting. It takes the Mountain months to die, hinting it would have taken weeks for a normal sized man.  Oberyn wanted the mountain to suffer, not just die.  So it was only 3 stabbings, including one in the chest that wasn't meant to kill just incapacitate.  Oberyn was showing-off and thought he'd won because the Mountain was hamstrung.

He got knocked to the ground when off-guard. Totally plausible.  Mountain rolled on him and kept him pin, 100% plausible as the guy was 300# or better. The only thing that was fucked about the scene was the head-crushing, which was done for pure visual gore to play to the TV audience.  Read portions of the book again last night while trying to decide what's happening in the last episode and came across the scene.  In the book the Mountain punches him to death which is much more plausible than "ooho, head smush."

So, yeah, even there it was a deserved death done well. It came across as a hamfisted GRR 'kill the good guy' trope because of the TV presentation.

kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #3131 on: June 12, 2014, 06:21:31 AM

And so did the beetles.
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #3132 on: June 12, 2014, 06:22:23 AM

Oberyn was obsessed with revenge, and that made him sloppy.  He knew (and we the audience knew, thanks to foreshadowing) that his only way to beat the Mountain was to stay out of reach and wear him down, and that if he ever got in arm's reach he was fucked.  He got in arm's reach to try to extract his precious confession.  Oops.

Also he is the red viper of dorn he knew that the mountain was already dead no matter what the outcome of the fight after he managed to cut him once.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #3133 on: June 12, 2014, 07:11:54 AM

Also the big stab was through the gut, not the chest.  Oberyn couldn't stab the mountain on the chest without a step ladder.

I am the .00000001428%
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #3134 on: June 12, 2014, 09:51:05 AM

I disagree, Oberyn was just another flawed character who paid the price when he let his flaws get the best of him at a crucial moment.
Oberyn wanted to die.  He just wanted to take the Mountain with him.  Ellia meant everything to him, and with his revenge satisfied he didn't care anymore.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #3135 on: June 12, 2014, 10:14:15 AM

I'm not really sure that's the case.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #3136 on: June 12, 2014, 10:18:04 AM

Oberyn wanted to die.  He just wanted to take the Mountain with him.  Ellia meant everything to him, and with his revenge satisfied he didn't care anymore.

-Rasix
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #3137 on: June 12, 2014, 10:22:27 AM

I don't believe that.

Killing the Mountain didn't satisfy his revenge.  He also wanted Tywin to pay for giving the order, whether he actually did or not.  Not to mention the fact that he doesn't act like a man who wants to die in the book or the show.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #3138 on: June 12, 2014, 10:47:41 AM

No way, he wasn't satisfied AT ALL by killing the mountain.  He wanted Tywin a lot more than he wanted Gregor, that's why he ended up losing the fight.

I am the .00000001428%
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #3139 on: June 12, 2014, 10:56:21 AM

Unfortunately, Oberyn's death scene was it for me. I can no longer stand to watch this show due to a syndrome I call "Quit fucking killing characters I like you fucks!"

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #3140 on: June 12, 2014, 10:58:14 AM

Unfortunately, Oberyn's death scene was it for me. I can no longer stand to watch this show due to a syndrome I call "Quit fucking killing characters I like you fucks!"

Then you will miss the parts where people you DON'T like die!

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #3141 on: June 12, 2014, 10:59:40 AM

Martin is on record saying that Martel wanted Tywin and saw the Mountain as the key to the real prize.  He was not ready to die.  Oberyn Martel screwed up and died for it, and Tywin Lanister's greatest foe was off the board...

Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #3142 on: June 12, 2014, 11:47:38 AM

Martin is on record saying that Martel wanted Tywin and saw the Mountain as the key to the real prize.  He was not ready to die.  Oberyn Martel screwed up and died for it, and Tywin Lanister's greatest foe was off the board...
Well shit, looks like I have to continue watching.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #3143 on: June 12, 2014, 12:31:11 PM

I'm not really sure that's the case.

Considering Oberyn says something along the lines of, "Starting with you..." yeah, it's not.

Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #3144 on: June 12, 2014, 02:32:19 PM

Well shit, looks like I have to continue watching.

Ohhhhh, I see.

- Viin
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3145 on: June 12, 2014, 03:30:50 PM

Yes.  If Obie only wanted Mtn to die, he would have actually finished the job, perhaps with several more stabs to the neck via spear, instead of trying to force a confession.  Hubris!

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #3146 on: June 12, 2014, 03:51:48 PM

Most of the deaths on this show (at least for the "good guy" characters) come down to hubris.  Somebody gets cocky and thinks they can do stupid shit because they're untouchable.  Then they do stupid shit and die in a predictable way.  Ned made a stupid move tipping his hand to Cersei, because he thought he was protected by Robert and the law.  Robb made a stupid move breaking his oath to Frey and then making himself vulnerable in Frey's home, because he thought he was too well-loved in the North to be betrayed there.  Etc etc etc.  Once someone starts thinking and acting like they're the hero of the story, they get stupid, and then they get killed.

Except for Arya and Dany.  Their stupid decisions tend to work out okay in the end, at least for them.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #3147 on: June 12, 2014, 05:05:08 PM

Going to have to disagree on the specifics there, but yeah, I agree Oberyn had no intention of dying.  But that doesn't change the fact Martin wrote him into doing something fuck stupid so he could kill him, much like the rest of his good characters.  While most of the one dimensional sado-masochistic characters live through everything out of their shear cruelty, superiority, and general badassness.   Ohhhhh, I see.

Most of the deaths on this show (at least for the "good guy" characters) come down to hubris.  Somebody gets cocky and thinks they can do stupid shit because they're untouchable.  Then they do stupid shit and die in a predictable way.  Ned made a stupid move tipping his hand to Cersei, because he thought he was protected by Robert and the law.  
Ned died because he was compasionate towards Cersei and wanted to give her a chance to flee with her children so they could escape the horrors of prosecution.  If he had simply killed her son and spent an entire season raping her, he'd still be alive and well.
Robb made a stupid move breaking his oath to Frey and then making himself vulnerable in Frey's home, because he thought he was too well-loved in the North to be betrayed there.  Etc etc etc.  Once someone starts thinking and acting like they're the hero of the story, they get stupid, and then they get killed.
Robb died only because the Frey's gave them protection under the old oaths of bread and salt.  They suspected the shit out of the Freys walking into that, but were put on ease by them doing things and making oaths that no sane lord would possibly break.  Feeling he was loved or protected was never implied anywhere in the books or movies.  If he had moved his men in, killed the Frey leadership right after they did the bread and salt ceremony, then spent an entire season raping all his daughters, he'd still be alive.
Except for Arya and Dany.  Their stupid decisions tend to work out okay in the end, at least for them.
Thats mainly because they go about murdering people left and right, if not torturing or raping (which leads to a longer life span in the books).

In short, if you are in any way compassionate and/or not sado-masochistic rapist, you will almost certainly die.

I love the books and the series, but he really does go a bit overboard in one direction.  If he wants to be internally consistent (for his oath foreshadowing at least), the entire Frey clan should be violently killed before the series ends.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #3148 on: June 12, 2014, 05:10:04 PM

Sociopaths succeed in cultures with loose rules and grey areas over those who attempt to live in a civil and structured society?

My god, let's hope they never figure that out!

Ohhhhh, I see.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #3149 on: June 12, 2014, 11:21:55 PM

Let's be clear -- there's a difference between showing compassion and exposing your tender throat-meat to a psychopath.

Taking Ned as the first and best example -- he warns Cersei off because he thinks she's going to do something COMPLETELY OUT OF CHARACTER, which is admit defeat, turn tail, and run.  And this is after he already suspects that she had Jon Arryn killed to stop him from doing THE EXACT THING HE IS ABOUT TO DO.  Which he is now TELLING HER HE IS ABOUT TO DO.

Do we see how utterly swamp poop this is, in retrospect?

I mean, it all seems quite reasonable if you look at it from the angle of "this is what a HERO does, he shows mercy to his enemies," which is the angle that Ned was looking at it from.  But that angle doesn't make any sense unless you assume that the heroes have plot armor or that their enemies will be dumb and/or admit defeat at the first setback and/or not use the nuclear option when backed into a corner.

Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 192 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Game of Thrones [SPOILERS]  
Jump to: