Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 10:12:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Game of Thrones [SPOILERS] 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 192 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Game of Thrones [SPOILERS]  (Read 1116177 times)
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #2205 on: June 12, 2013, 02:06:17 AM

That season finale was shit.

Joffrey should be dead.

You know, it occurs to me that the wee chap playing Joffrey is just doing an absolute sterling bang up job.  I fucking hate him.  We all fucking hate him.  We're meant to fucking hate him and not because of what he does, but because of how he is.  The actor really, really, really makes you want to punch him with every fucking utterance and look he comes out with.

I truly hope it's acting.   why so serious?

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #2206 on: June 12, 2013, 02:10:25 AM

Considering nothing has happened since book 3 plot wise, its kinda hard for me to imagine that 2 more books will finish the series....
Yeah, there's been a lot of plot since book 3 just not with the characters I actually like, they either spend ages travelling or stay in one place dealing with mundane shit.  I think he reached the point of adding additional characters and I'm all, fucking kill this one already.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #2207 on: June 12, 2013, 03:12:27 AM

That season finale was shit.

Joffrey should be dead.

You know, it occurs to me that the wee chap playing Joffrey is just doing an absolute sterling bang up job.  I fucking hate him.  We all fucking hate him.  We're meant to fucking hate him and not because of what he does, but because of how he is.  The actor really, really, really makes you want to punch him with every fucking utterance and look he comes out with.

I truly hope it's acting.   why so serious?

Given how adorable he was in Batman Begins, I'd say so.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #2208 on: June 12, 2013, 04:15:43 AM

They could end next season with:

Then--just guessing, but here's what I think is roughly going to happen in Winds:

Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #2209 on: June 12, 2013, 04:29:43 AM

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #2210 on: June 12, 2013, 04:53:26 AM

The key to the next 2 seasons not sucking is Dorne.

If they can make dorne work well and introduce Arianne and co next season so we care about them when shit gets real then they don't need to worry too much about feast and dance. Thingy Martell with the right casting could be as good as Tyrion or Varys.

Sure Brienne needs to be abridged, but that is easy to do. And I trust them not to have Tyrion whine too much. KL and the wall have solid plot lines, Arya and Bran have grown into their roles enough for the extended training montage to be watchable. Dany is irrelevant from here till season 6, but again, she can be abridged if they are brave enough.

I worry a little about the story in the vale, it might be the making of the two leads there or it might just suck.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #2211 on: June 12, 2013, 05:43:55 AM

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #2212 on: June 12, 2013, 05:46:35 AM

As far as I'm concerned, what you just posted is good news (everyone).

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #2213 on: June 12, 2013, 05:47:16 AM

Well there is another issue, if HBO wants to treat Feast and Dance as the same book, they would technically have 3 seasons to end the plot instead of 2. Which would mean some issues like...

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #2214 on: June 12, 2013, 06:00:01 AM

MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #2215 on: June 12, 2013, 06:26:08 AM

There was an easy way to end Cersei story at the end of Dance....and it didn't happen. So yeah... Cersei is going to round 7 most likely.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #2216 on: June 12, 2013, 06:26:23 AM

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #2217 on: June 12, 2013, 06:36:59 AM

There was an easy way to end Cersei story at the end of Dance....and it didn't happen. So yeah... Cersei is going to round 7 most likely.

Yep.  Plus "little brother" is absolutely Jamie, not Tyrion.  That's going to end his story, too, and he has much farther to go.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #2218 on: June 12, 2013, 08:31:33 AM

Skipping Quentyn and possibly Victarion would be workable, but I don't think the story needs as much surgery as many seem to think.

They just need to take a critical eye on how many scenes people really need to happen on camera in each leg of the story. My only criticsm of feast is spending too long with the wrong people.

Davos, Manderley, Cersei, Arya, Jon, the other Jon, Val, Mance, the sparrows, Margery, Doran, Melisandre, Stannis, and in moderation Tyrion, Jamie, and Sam have interesting enough things to do.

I could have coped with less Bran, Quentyn, Arianne, Brienne, Theon, and Dany.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #2219 on: June 12, 2013, 08:38:53 AM

Yep.  Plus "little brother" is absolutely Jamie, not Tyrion.  That's going to end his story, too, and he has much farther to go.

Doesn't the valonqar need to have hands, plural?   why so serious?

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #2220 on: June 12, 2013, 08:57:21 AM

Doesn't the valonqar need to have hands, plural?   why so serious?

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #2221 on: June 12, 2013, 09:15:30 AM

You either think on this way too much or have access to a pool of Nerds Arthur.

Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #2222 on: June 12, 2013, 09:24:24 AM

I was rereading Feast on holiday and noticed.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #2223 on: June 12, 2013, 09:38:58 AM

That's excellent.   DRILLING AND MANLINESS  Well spotted.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #2224 on: June 12, 2013, 10:33:11 AM

Quentyn absolutely needs to be ditched.

I think almost the whole of Tyrion's journey needs to be ditched. Griff needs ditching.

Brienne needs to do something besides wander around. Arya and the Hound can handle the job next season of showing how nasty and brutish Westeros has become--in fact, it fits Arya's arc much better.

Need something better to do for Jaime too besides go around resolving sieges, though I get how important it is to show that he's a good negotiator and thinker too.

An entire season of the Ramsay and Theon show will absolutely be awful.

An entire season of Dany stuck in Mereen (or stuck taking and then ruling Mereen) will blow.

Dorne is a tricky thing to introduce--they either have to go all-in for that or leave it largely on the side.
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #2225 on: June 12, 2013, 11:44:10 AM

I don't really care, I never thought I'd see the Red Wedding, they can cancel it or drag it out till 2023.  

But I don't see the appeal in cutting massive chunks out of the story just to cut to the end, we don't know which bits are important.  Yeah it's extremely frustrating when the main plot line doesn't advance much with each book, but if GRRM ever finishes the series that disappears and instead we'll think of those books as just padded with crap.  Feast is the weakest and even that's not too bad, I quite enjoyed Dance on last read through.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 11:47:47 AM by Arthur_Parker »
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #2226 on: June 12, 2013, 12:42:58 PM

I'm mostly saying this because I think the series has so far, on balance, been better than the books. So I really see it as an opportunity to do a better job on Feast and Dance, which really do need some tightening.
proudft
Terracotta Army

Reply #2227 on: June 12, 2013, 12:47:37 PM

From the story so far, Quentyn could be replaced/removed as his only apparent purposes are

Both of these could be easily done through other means.  BUT, maybe there is some other reason he is in the story that we just don't know yet.  Though I am sort of at a loss as to what it could be.  Also, though, I am not nearly as down on books 4 & 5 as the rest of the internets.  I liked Quentyn ok, in a lawl, you loser kind of way.

schild
Administrator

Reply #2228 on: June 12, 2013, 02:04:48 PM

Naw, they couldn't kill the bitchking off yet.

They still have to intro all of Dorne and such.

Was expecting the intro of UnCat though.

Slave mosh pit was a lame ending compared to the last two seasons.
Slave mosh pit, heh.

I called it Game of Thrones: The National Geographic cut.
schild
Administrator

Reply #2229 on: June 12, 2013, 02:07:55 PM

On the topic of Joffrey.

I don't think it's acting. The guy has resting asshole face. It simply can't be fixed. He grew up to be a total twat.

It's a shame there's still like 10 actors I wish they'd just kill.

Can I just get a season of Tyrion being witty? Please? No? Fuck.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #2230 on: June 12, 2013, 02:25:00 PM

Kind of intrigued to see if they can keep Tyrion as much fun as he is now given upcoming events.

A lot of people seem to object to his attitude from here. Personally given the circumstances I think he becomes more interesting. But I'm thinking Dinklage has a challenge carrying the audience with him.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #2231 on: June 12, 2013, 02:31:59 PM

On the topic of Joffrey.

I don't think it's acting. The guy has resting asshole face. It simply can't be fixed. He grew up to be a total twat.

By all accounts the actor (Jack Gleeson) is a very nice guy in real life.  Also having just looked up some interviews with him he's apparently Irish.

Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #2232 on: June 12, 2013, 02:34:19 PM

Heh, love that he toned down his accent for the interview.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #2233 on: June 12, 2013, 11:34:13 PM

absolutely needs to be ditched.

I predict they'll do it all and ditch nothing. Mainstream wants moar GoT.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #2234 on: June 13, 2013, 12:11:48 AM

I think all the Lannisters were brilliantly cast.  Could there be a better Tywin, for example?  And while Tyrion in many ways does not resemble his book counterpart, there is no denying that Dinklage is brilliant.  I used to think that the kid doing Joffrey was a bit too much of a hateful asshole - but in retrospect, I am coming to understand that the show is actually doing a better job of showing how utterly insane he is.  Remember, he is the product of incest, and we already know that the Mad King was insane for the exact same reason. 

I don't get the Cersei hate even a little bit.  I fucking love Cersei.  She is the perfect amount of evil and not-as-smart-as-she-thinks. 

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #2235 on: June 13, 2013, 03:20:51 AM

I'm not sure we do know that about the mad king.

He was fine till he got himself held hostage. Then started seeking magic to defend himself, then went mad.

Some believe Varys poisoned Aerys or otherwise drove him mad in order to kick off this whole shooting match.

Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #2236 on: June 13, 2013, 03:53:06 AM

What exactly happened at Summerhall and what the Lace Serpent Serala was up to at Duskendale might come up later, that's why all the slightly boring wandering about by Brienne might be important later.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #2237 on: June 13, 2013, 04:31:04 AM

Yeah, there is a lot stuff that might be more integral than we know.

Based on what we've seen on screen so far they could have rolled littlefinger and varys into one character, until the other week Walder Frey and Roose Bolton were just filler. And even where characters are not critical to later events, you need at least a few people who are not a Chekov's Gun waiting to explode.

I strongly suspect Brienne is important, but I'm sure she doesn't need the same proportion of screen time that she got in the book.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #2238 on: June 13, 2013, 04:48:59 AM

I'm not sure we do know that about the mad king.

He was fine till he got himself held hostage. Then started seeking magic to defend himself, then went mad.

Some believe Varys poisoned Aerys or otherwise drove him mad in order to kick off this whole shooting match.

It was either said explicity or implied that Targaryans prefer incest to keep the royal line from branching out too far.  There is the potential for madness in their blood.  Dany even worries about it herself at some point.  Don't forget her own brother was quite fucking bonkers as well.  While it isn't quite the same power as the theme of "oathbreaking is a bad fucking idea", it repeatedly comes up as something that the Gods will punish.

At any rate, I am pretty convinced that the idea that Joffrey is mad is to be credited to the fact that his incest happened.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #2239 on: June 13, 2013, 05:19:15 AM

Oh the Targs certainly go in for incest and it certainly makes many of them mad from birth.

In the particular case of Aerys its simply not certain that this caused his madness, although it the generally accepted cause around Westeros. Most obvious point being that he is reported as not mad prior to the Defiance of Duskendale.

Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 192 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Game of Thrones [SPOILERS]  
Jump to: