Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 03:27:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Game of Thrones [SPOILERS] 0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 192 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Game of Thrones [SPOILERS]  (Read 1116231 times)
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #2100 on: June 03, 2013, 02:43:12 PM

So, can I safely read Book 3 now?

--Dave (who was smart enough to avoid these threads all day Sunday)

No this season covered half or a bit more of book 3 the other shoe is in the air still waiting to drop next season.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #2101 on: June 03, 2013, 02:44:22 PM

Catelyn I didn't much like in the books either.  The TV version pretty much nails her, I think.

Yah, her POV was one of my least favorite.  Her and Cersei I just couldn't stand.  She's not a very likeable or sympathetic character in either portrayal.

-Rasix
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #2102 on: June 03, 2013, 02:47:44 PM

I mean, I kind of just want to ruin the entire TV series for people so they can see that a bunch of the do-nothing characters DO eventually do something, but I have no clue how they're going to handle the tv show outpacing the books.

This is what really makes me curious. If they can keep the funding up and it shows no sign of slacking at the moment next season should blow through the remainder of book three and probably start doing a lot of the book four stuff as well. At the rate old george writes it is VERY possible and probably even likely that the show will catch up to the books and then it will be interesting to see what happens. Either the show makers are going to get some outlines on where george wanted things to go or are going to say fuck it we are doing it live and go off on their own tangents.

Probably a combination of the later two if if george cannot stop basking in the money hats long enough to finish the god damn series.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #2103 on: June 03, 2013, 02:57:49 PM

Catelyn I didn't much like in the books either.  The TV version pretty much nails her, I think.

Yah, her POV was one of my least favorite.  Her and Cersei I just couldn't stand.  She's not a very likeable or sympathetic character in either portrayal.

Personally I felt Cersei was more sympathetic by the end. You find out what her damage is about. You never really find out what made Catelyn into such a thoroughly annoying individual.

Similarly on screen, the Cersei/Tyrion scenes are all great and give Cersei more depth than she ever has in the books.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #2104 on: June 03, 2013, 02:59:35 PM

I'm surprised Schild didn't share this here as well as FB, so I'll do it instead. He had his chance!

https://twitter.com/RedWeddingTears

THERE's the shock and awe I was looking for this morning.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #2105 on: June 03, 2013, 03:02:53 PM

Posted a page ago.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
schild
Administrator

Reply #2106 on: June 03, 2013, 03:19:32 PM

I'm surprised Schild didn't share this here as well as FB, so I'll do it instead. He had his chance!

https://twitter.com/RedWeddingTears

THERE's the shock and awe I was looking for this morning.

That would be because I got the link from here.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #2107 on: June 03, 2013, 03:52:02 PM

"They're dead...like, so dead!!" (Maisie Williams' reaction :D)

https://vine.co/v/b3XZMHmxzxh

On constant repeat, can't stop it  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #2108 on: June 03, 2013, 04:12:11 PM

"They're dead...like, so dead!!" (Maisie Williams' reaction :D)

https://vine.co/v/b3XZMHmxzxh

On constant repeat, can't stop it  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

hee!

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
Rasix

Reply #2109 on: June 03, 2013, 04:21:50 PM

-Rasix
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #2110 on: June 03, 2013, 04:58:33 PM

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #2111 on: June 03, 2013, 05:01:28 PM

TV Robb and his mother were obnoxious whiny jackasses that puttered around and did nothing for a season and a half.

This is weird because my wife thinks the same thing and yet she generally has reasonably good judgment about most popular culture.
Hayduke
Terracotta Army

Reply #2112 on: June 03, 2013, 06:49:40 PM

I was watching with someone who hasn't read the books and their reaction was initially "Oh fuck" but quickly moved to acceptance and "Well at least SOMETHING finally happened this season."  This isn't a Ned Stark moment.  It seems to me that since season one the show has really struggled to have interesting characters who aren't Lannisters.  Even knowing that it was coming (and knowing of the coming quagmire that sets in for book 4) it was almost a relief to have some duller plotlines ended.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #2113 on: June 03, 2013, 07:29:39 PM

You know, watching this and really thinking about it crystallized a few things from the books.

Robb sorta had it coming. Sure, he's a sympathetic character and far more noble than most of the other jackasses prancing around, but he basically called backsies on a marriage of state he was sworn to -- after getting the goodies. He basically got paid, call the deal off, and then pranced his new wife in.

Start as you mean to go on, right? And he's basically shown his word is worthless if he sees something he wants more. (And his word and honor were like the two big things Stark was supposed to stand for).

Him and his mother basically pissed away their allies and army in favor of family. Which is great for 20th century American morals, but basically shit-stupid in that sort of time period.

It seems like, in general, people get what they deserve -- actions have consequences, and sometimes you die or get shit on because someone more powerful than you made a choice that fucked you, but even the powerful have all this shit come back to them.

Robb and his mother ruined themselves. I think the bitching isn't that they died pointless deaths. It's just in fantasy we expect heroes and main characters to die significant, heroic deaths. Deaths that fit their status.

Getting offed because of the consequences of your own actions -- the totally predictable consequences of your own actions -- isn't that heroic. It's what happens to, you know, villians and minor characters. The fuck-ups of heros are there for drama, but ultimately solve-able.
Hayduke
Terracotta Army

Reply #2114 on: June 03, 2013, 07:39:57 PM

Been awhile but didn't the first book start with Ned killing an oath breaker in front of Robb? Seems the lesson was lost on him.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #2115 on: June 03, 2013, 07:43:15 PM

The thing about Robb is that he broke an oath, but still put faith in the one he betrayed because of his sense of honor.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #2116 on: June 03, 2013, 07:44:39 PM

Been awhile but didn't the first book start with Ned killing an oath breaker in front of Robb? Seems the lesson was lost on him.

It was, and it was something his mother was a lot more insistent on in the books.  It was the sole redeeming feature of Caetlyn, she said "Fucker, you're King act like it and maintain your vow!"  Instead he calls her some rotten words and acts like a teenager who'd dipped his wick for the first time.    Yes, he totally had it coming.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #2117 on: June 03, 2013, 07:47:56 PM

Also, as to the Rains of Castemere playing -- that should have been a tip-off to ANYONE. They've been mentioning that song for two seasons now, played multiple versions of it, and it was referenced either the previous episode or the one before that as part of Queen Bitch Regent's threat to whats-her-face.

They had a whole conversation on it. So hearing a mournful ballad about how the Lannisters absolutely and totally crushed another house for the tiniest slight to their power at a wedding? That was more of a tip-off than the doors.
Hayduke
Terracotta Army

Reply #2118 on: June 03, 2013, 07:49:17 PM

The thing about Robb is that he broke an oath, but still put faith in the one he betrayed because of his sense of honor.

I don't think it was honor that moved him so much as desperation.  He was clearly fucked without the Freys.  He never would've gone there if he could've avoided it.
Rasix

Reply #2119 on: June 03, 2013, 08:25:30 PM

Also, as to the Rains of Castemere playing -- that should have been a tip-off to ANYONE.

I think if you've been sperging on the show, you might have.  Seriously, it's not like they were singing the lyrics.  I think it's only been on the show twice that I can recall and once was in the credits.  Did they play it before the conversation with the Margery and Cersei?  I don't remember.  Otherwise, that's not much help.  It certainly wasn't a cheerful tune, however, and you'd think the rest of the wedding party (other than Catelyn) would have been more clued in. They were kinda drunk though.

I think in the books they helped set this confict up better.  Robb didn't fall in love with Jeyne.   He banged her after she nursed him back to health, and he felt honor bound to marry her.  Red Wedding or not, the Starks were finished.  The TV version has Edmure derping away half Robb's army, when in the book Roose was already actively conspiring to lose them the war by getting half of Robb's army (and none of his own men) killed at Duskendale.   This way was just cleaner and quicker, but they were likely going to lose without further loss of Lannister men, anyhow.

The older Stark men just have a really crappy sense of honor.  They hold their family and personal honor quite high and hold it before other oaths.  Unfortunately, had they held to the other oaths, they wouldn't be.. well, dead.

Plus, we all kind of sound like dicks here.  Walder Frey, Roose Bolton and Tywin Lannister will deserve everything they eventually get.  I'm not sure GRRM is enough of a cynic to let them off the hook.

-Rasix
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #2120 on: June 03, 2013, 09:35:01 PM

Have you read the books Rasix?

Rasix

Reply #2121 on: June 03, 2013, 09:37:56 PM

I think in the books they helped set this confict up better.  Robb didn't fall in love with Jeyne.   He banged her after she nursed him back to health, and he felt honor bound to marry her.  Red Wedding or not, the Starks were finished.  The TV version has Edmure derping away half Robb's army, when in the book Roose was already actively conspiring to lose them the war by getting half of Robb's army (and none of his own men) killed at Duskendale.   This way was just cleaner and quicker, but they were likely going to lose without further loss of Lannister men, anyhow.

-Rasix
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #2122 on: June 03, 2013, 09:40:11 PM

Sorry, you ended that post speculating on the fate of someone who's been dead for a while now.

Rasix

Reply #2123 on: June 03, 2013, 09:42:31 PM

Well, I kinda didn't want to spoil it.

-Rasix
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #2124 on: June 03, 2013, 09:44:42 PM

Fair enough; it was just confusing.

Rasix

Reply #2125 on: June 03, 2013, 11:14:51 PM

I can see that.  It felt weird typing it.  undecided

-Rasix
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #2126 on: June 04, 2013, 01:20:07 AM

Sigh.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #2127 on: June 04, 2013, 05:43:12 AM

Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #2128 on: June 04, 2013, 05:49:53 AM

To be fair, the only one I really mourned at the feast was Robbs Wolf.

The Blackfish got away and Greatjon wasn't present (although I think he should have been), and everybody else in there asked for it (except Walder Freys poor wife).
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #2129 on: June 04, 2013, 06:34:28 AM

Other than the people you mentioned, who the hell else was left at that wedding who did anything storywise to possibly ask for it (other than Catelyn obvioulsy, for the crime of being a character nobody ever liked)?

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #2130 on: June 04, 2013, 06:59:29 AM

Catelyn and TV-Robb.

Edmure, but he sadly got away.

Bolton and Walder Frey also, but they were on the wrong side of that ambush.
schild
Administrator

Reply #2131 on: June 04, 2013, 07:40:40 AM

it isn't sad Edmure got away. He's the only good actor that was even in that room full of crappy hacks.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #2132 on: June 04, 2013, 08:37:32 AM

Cersei I don't mind, but yeah, Catelyn in both books and show was fucking annoying. It was understandable WHY, but shit... she was just irritating. The actress nailed the character quite well though.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #2133 on: June 04, 2013, 09:23:31 AM

I love how just like in the book rewatching the episode changes the meaning of so many lines, like Walder Frey claiming he would break fifty oaths to get inside Talisa.

I am the .00000001428%
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #2134 on: June 04, 2013, 10:51:08 AM

I love how just like in the book rewatching the episode changes the meaning of so many lines, like Walder Frey claiming he would break fifty oaths to get inside Talisa.

Oh shit.

I'm starting to think a complete rewatch is in order.
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 192 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Game of Thrones [SPOILERS]  
Jump to: