Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 03:12:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Game of Thrones [SPOILERS] 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 192 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Game of Thrones [SPOILERS]  (Read 1116224 times)
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #1995 on: May 09, 2013, 06:09:16 AM

In the TV show he doesn't come across as supremely controlled, he comes across as a giggling panto villain.

Understated and serious, with the mask slipping on occasion to show either anger or sadistic pleasure would be fine.

I disagree

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1996 on: May 09, 2013, 06:38:48 AM

I disagree too.  Carcetti is doing a fine job.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #1997 on: May 09, 2013, 08:21:37 AM

"Giggling panto villain"? I think you should take better advantage of having a television that receives programming from an alternate reality. Go look at what's on the news channels, it should be interesting.
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #1998 on: May 09, 2013, 09:29:16 AM

There have been a couple cringe worthy acting moments for Carcetti, but overall he's done a fine job. Just strange things with his mouth, I guess...they kinda bug me.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #1999 on: May 09, 2013, 11:38:51 AM

And if this were any other TV show I'd be 'Meh, he's fine'. But next to the other performances, and how they've developed over 3 seasons, he's the one guy I can't quite buy into.

Even the kids this season have been great. People have mentioned Dany already, but even Jon, who is another grating featureless character in the book, has been made into an actual character by the performance this season.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Miguel
Terracotta Army

कुशल

Reply #2000 on: May 13, 2013, 07:19:37 AM

Despite being a pretentious dick, I'm actually starting to feel sorry for Greyjoy.

“We have competent people thinking about this stuff. We’re not just making shit up.” -Neil deGrasse Tyson
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #2001 on: May 13, 2013, 08:42:58 AM

Btw, do we still use spoilers here?

I am the .00000001428%
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #2002 on: May 13, 2013, 09:05:07 AM

Book 4 and 5 are concurrent. So the start of 5 is the end of 3.

The TV show will undoubtedly stay chronological. Also more stuff is implied to happen before the end of book 3, and I can't imagine there will be too much more in this season judging from what the episode names imply they are covering in the last few shows.

Yes, if what you say is a spoiler.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
WayAbvPar

Reply #2003 on: May 13, 2013, 09:13:25 AM

The guy playing Ramsay is killing it. He is genuinely fucking creepy.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #2004 on: May 13, 2013, 09:45:04 AM

Yeah, as soon as the chicks showed up, I started going "Holy shit, this guy is fucking CRUEL. Blueballs 4TL." Even watching the hotness on screen, I felt kind of queasy knowing that the little fucker was going to show up and ruin a good hardon for Theon.

Also, really digging how the Jamie and Brienne relationship is being acted. It's almost exactly like the book (with some minor details changed) and yet it's so much more emotional thanks to the actors.

Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #2005 on: May 13, 2013, 11:26:43 AM

Track down season 1 of Misfits, he's a main character and has the most interesting character arc by far.
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #2006 on: May 14, 2013, 06:24:28 AM

Btw, do we still use spoilers here?

One thing to note and this is not a spoiler but book 4 and 5 take place at the same time and are just geographically separated with book 4 being the southern story lines mostly and 5 the northern ones mostly.

I am guessing they will wind up reblending books 4 and 5 back together as I don't think laying off half your actors for a year or two would be a viable plan continuity wise.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #2007 on: May 14, 2013, 07:38:08 AM

There is also the fact that almost a decade passed between book 3 and 5, so you can be forgiven for feeling like Theon disappeared from the story for a long long time.   awesome, for real
Absolutly agree, and I fucking hate his character in the books.  This is a much better version than what I was expecting.

I fucking love his vuvuzela running gag.   awesome, for real

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #2008 on: May 14, 2013, 04:22:19 PM

Forgot about the timelapses.  Hope the handle it gracefully on the show.   ACK! ACK! ACK!

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #2009 on: May 14, 2013, 04:29:19 PM

There is also the fact that almost a decade passed between book 3 and 5, so you can be forgiven for feeling like Theon disappeared from the story for a long long time.   awesome, for real

Real
Forgot about the timelapses.  Hope the handle it gracefully on the show.   ACK! ACK! ACK!

I think Teleku meant the time it took for Martin to write the books, not in-fiction time.  I don't remember any really big jumps timewise in the story -- maybe a year here or there, if that?

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #2010 on: May 14, 2013, 04:31:17 PM

Real

I think Teleku meant the time it took for Martin to write the books, not in-fiction time.  I don't remember any really big jumps timewise in the story -- maybe a year here or there, if that?

I always took it to be a few years.  Anyhow, the time thing is pretty damned important.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #2011 on: May 14, 2013, 04:47:23 PM

There wasn't any time gap between the storyline in the books, it's all be continuous. Theon got captured when Winterfell go sacked, it was at most a few months to a year between then and when the Boltons came back north.

I am the .00000001428%
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #2012 on: May 15, 2013, 12:15:33 AM

Yeah, I was indeed refering to real time.  I was in the middle of High school when I read book two and last saw Theon.  By the time he finally returned, I had long ago graduated college, lived around the world, and started/stopped several careers.  It just feels like he disappeared into Ramseys dungeon for a decade.   

Between the end of book 2 (where we last see him) and the start of books 4/5, at most a year passed in the books.  But probably less.  He was only gone from the timeline for however long the events of book three took.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #2013 on: May 19, 2013, 12:10:15 PM

Worth considering that...

...point being there isn't much left in the Bolton's storyline before theon has a post-torture role. I can certainly imagine it being shown early next season.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 12:12:05 PM by eldaec »

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #2014 on: May 19, 2013, 04:05:44 PM

...point being there isn't much left in the Bolton's storyline before theon has a post-torture role. I can certainly imagine it being shown early next season.

Which would then end that storyline and leave nothing left of what's been written for any future seasons.  They gotta stretch that story for however many seasons they have left before winds of winter.

I am the .00000001428%
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #2015 on: May 19, 2013, 10:33:00 PM

Dario is great.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #2016 on: May 20, 2013, 12:50:53 AM

Which would then end that storyline and leave nothing left of what's been written for any future seasons.  They gotta stretch that story for however many seasons they have left before winds of winter.

Plenty of things happen after the bit I spoilered. If that doesn't happen next season I don't really know what you imagine they'll do with Roose Bolton next year.

This season is ending 75% of the way through storm, so I would think they have about 4 or 5 episodes before Feast and Dance start, then probably 25 episodes before they really need the next book.

Did see a report that HBO are discussing a hedge knight series to pad things out further.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #2017 on: May 23, 2013, 03:14:42 PM

I am struggling not to tip off my non-GOT reading wife about what's coming next episode.
pants
Terracotta Army

Reply #2018 on: May 23, 2013, 03:16:12 PM

I am struggling not to tip off my non-GOT reading wife about what's coming next episode.

Heh, its like everyone on the internet who has read the books will finally be able to relax and stop holding it in...
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #2019 on: May 23, 2013, 03:25:44 PM

Anybody who makes it to that episode without having it spoiled for them by SOMEBODY deserves a fucking trophy of some sort.

-Stephen Colbert
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #2020 on: May 23, 2013, 06:26:14 PM

Anybody who makes it to that episode without having it spoiled for them by SOMEBODY deserves a fucking trophy of some sort.

Then keep your mouths shut, because I've managed it so far.  Should I just stop reading these threads for the next 4 days?

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #2021 on: May 23, 2013, 06:31:57 PM

Then keep your mouths shut, because I've managed it so far.  Should I just stop reading these threads for the next 4 days?

--Dave

You should stop reading the spoiler thread obviously, that's why we made a different one for you infidels.

I am the .00000001428%
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #2022 on: May 23, 2013, 06:32:21 PM

--Dave

For Gods Sake... YES.  11 days recommended.  

Seriously.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #2023 on: May 23, 2013, 08:32:51 PM

Judging by the episode titles, the big event is happening in episode 9, not 10.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
pants
Terracotta Army

Reply #2024 on: May 23, 2013, 08:38:51 PM

Judging by the episode titles, the big event is happening in episode 9, not 10.

I read somewhere, the TV series is getting into the rhythm of episode 9 being the big 'Oh shit' episode.  Series 1 was Ned Stark, Series 2 was Blackwater, and Series 3 looks to be that-which-shall-not-be-named for fear of spoiling Mahrin.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #2025 on: May 23, 2013, 09:12:30 PM

Bread and salt.

why so serious?

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #2026 on: May 24, 2013, 05:23:01 AM

My wife still doesn't know what's coming.  She asked me if the big "Oh shit" was Sansa and Tyrion and I laughed.  It's driving her nuts that I won't tell her.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #2027 on: May 24, 2013, 07:14:45 AM

The thing I assume will happen in episode 10 is also a non-trivial oh shit moment.

People aren't mentioning it because of ep 9's thing.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #2028 on: May 24, 2013, 09:41:05 AM

There's an important event in episode 9 (Ned killed, battle of blackwater, *cough*) and an oh shit moment at the end of 10 (Dragons born, Fist of the first men attacked by zombies, *cough*).

I am the .00000001428%
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #2029 on: May 24, 2013, 01:17:49 PM

The thing I assume will happen in episode 10 is also a non-trivial oh shit moment.

People aren't mentioning it because of ep 9's thing.
What's the big thing in episode 10?

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 192 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Game of Thrones [SPOILERS]  
Jump to: