Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 07:53:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Game of Thrones [SPOILERS] 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 192 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Game of Thrones [SPOILERS]  (Read 1116153 times)
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1400 on: April 30, 2012, 06:33:53 AM

I'm not sure how comparable Spartacus and Game of Thrones are.  Spartacus is low budget and not afraid to cut corners, with a heavy focus on the sex/violence thrill.  Game of Thrones will likely be a sumptuous period piece based on character and intrigue filmed on location (Westeros is basically reskinned British Isles) with a solid cast of actors.

Been rereading this thread and this one just leapt out at me as hilarious.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #1401 on: April 30, 2012, 07:15:03 AM

I think last night might have been the first episode of the whole series without sex/nudity.

I am the .00000001428%
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #1402 on: April 30, 2012, 07:53:03 AM

That ranger dude was cast well. His face just looked of "I'm hard as nails and will pretty much survive anything." I haven't read the books, don't know if he will make it another episode, but I felt like he's a straight up badass.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #1403 on: April 30, 2012, 07:56:12 AM

Quorin the halfhand? yeah i thought they did a pretty good job of setting him up as a bad ass.

I am the .00000001428%
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #1404 on: April 30, 2012, 09:41:29 AM

That ranger dude was cast well. His face just looked of "I'm hard as nails and will pretty much survive anything." I haven't read the books, don't know if he will make it another episode, but I felt like he's a straight up badass.

The ranger who was going to lead the small party that Jon Snow went with? Yeah, that guy really looked like he had spent most of his life with his face exposed to freezing cold wind. Good casting or makeup, whichever. I still haven't read any of the books, but the people that have been cast have done a great job making their characters believable.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1405 on: April 30, 2012, 09:48:56 AM

So does the Halfhand actually have half a hand in the series- and did they explain why?  I saw some early production stills and they weren't using a prosthetic to make it appear that way so I'm curious if they CGI'd it or are just ignoring it.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #1406 on: April 30, 2012, 09:55:53 AM

I had a hard time understanding any of the dialogue during the nightswatch scenes, but they were talking about Qhorin when he was approaching so i assume they did explain it.

I am the .00000001428%
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #1407 on: April 30, 2012, 09:11:29 PM

Note, this is a book spoiler I'm addressing (though he coded it so vaugly you wont understand wtf we're talking about anyways).  But yeah, I think series talk should openly be printed without spoilers.  I only spoil stuff that's in the books that hasn't happened yet.

Overall I love how they are handling Arya (and frankly, everybody) in the TV versions.  Do I want some more? Yes, but the short cut versions are still well done.  I am still a bit surprised they are going for such short seasons.  Even with just a few more episodes they could flesh out a lot of nice side stuff they've had to cut (let alone if they were actually going normal season length).  Still, I guess this keeps the story and pace moving fast, though I do see people here complaining about to much happening at once, which is direct fallout from that.

I also like how they made Loras not quite a dumb ass in this version, realizing that there was no way Brienne would have killed him.
Yeah, I was really happy with the casting.  They're doing a great job of translating my mental image of these characters to screen.  And yes, he's pretty much the last great bad ass left in the nights watch.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1408 on: May 01, 2012, 01:12:36 AM

role.

Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #1409 on: May 01, 2012, 03:41:03 AM

Yeah, I was really happy with the casting.  They're doing a great job of translating my mental image of these characters to screen.  And yes, he's pretty much the last great bad ass left in the nights watch.

Ya the casting is definitely better than the location management though as the hill they are on bears not the slightest resemblance to the fist of the first men in the book though it certainly was more dramatic. I wonder if the guy with the goatee was supposed to be Dolorous Edd.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 04:14:17 AM by Phred »
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #1410 on: May 01, 2012, 04:10:03 AM

I walked away from watching the latest episode with a distinct amount of 'meh'. 

Don't get me wrong, I still enjoyed it, just not as much as I've enjoyed the previous episodes so far.  They at least kept certain bits going.

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #1411 on: May 01, 2012, 06:23:51 AM

I think the ending was supposed to be climatic, in that you now realize that this Jacqen (sp?) dude can actually deliver what he promissed, which opens up a whole ton of possibilities. Just how crazy a request might Arya get away with?

I have to say, I kind of like the fact that they are diverging from the book a little bit - at least it doesn't feel like I know every scene thats about to come. Plus, they can write around some of the more pointless decisions that Martin made, like killing off Dany's Lysian Handmaiden in the march through the Red Wastes (a very minor book spoiler, that would have happened three episodes ago if it was going to happen)

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #1412 on: May 01, 2012, 06:50:13 AM

I think the ending was supposed to be climatic, in that you now realize that this Jacqen (sp?) dude can actually deliver what he promissed, which opens up a whole ton of possibilities. Just how crazy a request might Arya get away with?

Yeah, Stanis has all this power, strong (if you believe Robert was the rightful king, the strongest) claim to the Iron throne, massive army, Fire Mage girlfriend with shadow assassin spawn.  Yet, Arya achieved the same result while being a virtual slave just because she helped a guy out of a cage.  I think it's a nice contrast as the "everyone dies" scene between Arya and Tywin is in the same episode, I don't think it's brilliant but it worked ok for me.  We've seen it in the earlier episode but it's worth pointing out that Arya goes to sleep every night chanting the names of all the people she intends to get even with.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1413 on: May 01, 2012, 08:54:55 AM

I also thought it was quite a good cliffhanger due to her reaction to it.

She's not a little girl anymore.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1414 on: May 01, 2012, 09:42:42 AM

Maisie Williams is really outstanding as Arya Stark.

Yes, she is. That scene with Tywin Lannister really gave me a lot of appreciation for that kid's acting chops. That was a perfect scene.

luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #1415 on: May 01, 2012, 10:21:46 AM

Nice little touch they do with updating the intro sequence with the new locales that we go to in the episode, though I felt like I was getting whiplash when the camera jumped from The Wall to Qarth  why so serious?

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #1416 on: May 01, 2012, 10:30:59 AM

I liked the nice touch of actually showing some repercussions to leaving a little kid parentless for long periods of time.  Almost forgot Rickon existed.

I am the .00000001428%
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #1417 on: May 01, 2012, 04:14:06 PM

Besides my minor nerd rage I found it to be a great episode.  We have been spoiled with the OMGWTFBBQ and expect it at every turn.

This episode is setting the stage for the epic OMGWTFBBQ to come.  Can't.  Wait.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #1418 on: May 02, 2012, 05:28:54 AM

Yes, she is. That scene with Tywin Lannister really gave me a lot of appreciation for that kid's acting chops. That was a perfect scene.

I've also admired the awkward lumpiness of Brienne brought to life. And frustrated, crippled Bran lording over his people.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #1419 on: May 02, 2012, 07:29:01 AM

The creative camera angles alone are really making Breanne work.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #1420 on: May 02, 2012, 08:31:20 AM

You know what I appreciate about the way the "Brienne flees after shadowbaby assassination" scene plays in the book AND the film? That we're spared the cliched plot of "innocent person protests that a magic thing happened that no one saw, is treated as a lunatic, must eventually break free and go on a quest to prove their innocence". Brienne isn't an idiot, and Caetlyn drives the point home: no one will ever believe that a magic shadowbaby did it and disappeared instantly, there is no point to trying to prove that a magic shadowbaby did it, just get the hell out of there and if you get a chance to kill the motherfucker who was responsible someday, do so. It shoves what might be a central plot engine in another story into the background, makes it just a part of Brienne's reputation from that point on. It's a more subtle example of how Martin takes conventional fantasy tropes and deflates them by putting real human beings with real human societies in the picture. "A wizard did it" even in a society where people concede magic isn't altogether impossible is roughly like saying that you didn't run over those folks on the highway, a UFO did.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1421 on: May 02, 2012, 10:31:53 AM

Your argument falls down slightly there when the chap in the next scene doesn't believe she did it for a second.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1422 on: May 02, 2012, 12:42:32 PM

Agreed.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #1423 on: May 02, 2012, 12:51:37 PM

Your argument falls down slightly there when the chap in the next scene doesn't believe she did it for a second.

I thought that was more of a "she might have stabbed him but she did it for Stannis" than anything else.  Specially since Littlefinger kept nudging him in that direction.

I am the .00000001428%
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #1424 on: May 02, 2012, 04:06:44 PM

In the books that chap fully believes it was her and vows to hunt her down and kill her.  I liked the change in the TV version personally.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #1425 on: May 02, 2012, 04:37:59 PM

In the books that chap fully believes it was her and vows to hunt her down and kill her.  I liked the change in the TV version personally.

Eh?
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #1426 on: May 02, 2012, 07:00:37 PM

Eh?

lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #1427 on: May 02, 2012, 08:12:47 PM

I thought we were talking about the other guy.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #1428 on: May 03, 2012, 01:07:36 AM

I thought he was talking about Loras.  Guess only Ironwood can clear this up!   awesome, for real

-Stephen Colbert
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1429 on: May 03, 2012, 04:38:36 AM

I don't really know names, but I'm going to go with 'Guy who regularly got bummed by the chap with the crown of twigs who's now dead.'

I think that's Loras.

I too welcome the change from the books, since I actually think the whole thing was a little retarded.  Why on Earth would she kill the chap and why now ?  I can tell that she wouldn't really have a problem with people saying she's FUCKING NUTSO LOYAL to the guy, so the whole 'let's run away' angle actually bothered me.

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #1430 on: May 03, 2012, 05:39:04 AM

Nobody knew she was crazy loyal to him yet though, as she had only just become a member of his Kingsguard (at the tournament where she beat Loras and won it as her wish).
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1431 on: May 03, 2012, 05:49:23 AM

Yeah, because that kind of devotion, training, focus and beating the fuckery out of every other contender springs up overnight.

Ohhhhh, I see.

Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #1432 on: May 03, 2012, 06:14:24 AM

Women shouldn't wear swords and fight, that's for men only, also where is the king who are all these dead people on the floor?

One of the women, probably both would have been executed.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1433 on: May 03, 2012, 07:00:23 AM

Yeah, yeah.

awesome, for real

Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #1434 on: May 03, 2012, 10:33:00 AM

Can't wait to see if the show reflects what Brienne looks like underneath all that platemail. 
My main gripe the last few epis. has been the lack of focus on the religion of the IronLands.  I thought that was a very cool part of the novel and it was barely glossed over in the show; unless they plan on drowning someone later.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 192 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Game of Thrones [SPOILERS]  
Jump to: