Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:10:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Age of Conan  |  Topic: Letter from the Game Director – November 14th 2008 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Letter from the Game Director – November 14th 2008  (Read 6309 times)
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

on: November 14, 2008, 05:43:22 AM

Letter from the Game Director – November 14th 2008
With the latest game update launched and on the live servers I thought it was a good time to catch up with you all and let you know what is on the horizon for the coming game updates and give you all a general status update.

With the new PVP systems now in place and Ymir’s Pass now available for you to explore we move on to the next major additions to the game. I’ll talk a little about the immediate plans for the next update as well as covering the things you can expect to see relatively early next year.

We are now preparing the DirectX 10 version of the game for our public test servers. The next major game update will include this version of the game and make it available for everyone with the appropriate hardware to enjoy. Since the outset we have been determined that the new DirectX 10 functionality would not just be a ‘gimmick’ addition to the game and would add visual quality to the game, we feel that the version we are preparing now for testing does achieve this and in a way that will find the right balance between visuals and performance. We have also gone to great lengths to ensure that virtually all the DirectX10 features are customizable so that you can find the right balance between features for the performance level of your hardware. What we did not want to do was push this version out too early and not see the real added benefits this technology can bring. I am really looking forward to players getting to experience some of the new visual improvements that this new technology allows. It really brings an even further splendor to the game world.

Keep your eyes out for the announcement of when the update will hit the public test servers so that you can try it out for yourselves!

In terms of game content we will have two brand new dungeon locations in the next game update. Situated in Thunder River both will be aimed at maximum level players. The Slaughter House Cellar is a single player level 80 instance and Xibaluku is a large team instanced dungeon aimed at the same level range. Xibaluku has a great series of new and interesting boss encounters spanning several hours of game-play. We will start to show a little more of these dungeon areas as we start to release press material for the next update shortly. Filling some of the content gaps as the highest level is one of the areas we are focusing on at the moment, and these dungeons are the start of that process.

Following on from that early in the new-year you will be seeing the Tarantia Commons outdoor play-field. As I have mentioned before we have pushed this play-field up to a higher level range than was originally announced when we first talked about this play-field. The content will now be pitched somewhere in the mid to late 70s (the designers are still tuning the mob levels slightly) and you will find yourself thrust into the middle of a dynamic storyline surrounding riots taking place in the Commons District of the city. Which side will you find yourself on in this struggle right on the King’s doorsteps? There is some really interesting combination of storytelling and game-play going into this play-field and I think it will be a very interesting and engaging experience. We had originally intended to release this before the new dungeons, but we wanted to take a little extra time to make sure the experience was all the more compelling when we let you guys loose on it!

Lastly for today I wanted to give an overview of where we are at with the work on the itemization and statistics in the game. As I mentioned in my first letter we are already working on this area extensively. Our systems team is currently implementing the redesigned system and adjusting the formulas and templates for the various items and abilities. We hope to have the new systems available for public testing before the end of the year with a view to it going live sometime in the new-year. (Depending on how the testing and feedback cycles go of course). There is a lot to consider in these changes and it will require extensive testing, both internally and externally. We want to make sure that it is a positive development for the game, and finds the right balance between the power of items and statistics while still maintaining the pace and compelling nature of our combat system.

Related to this I also want to touch on the fact that while we have done some work to adjust class balance, feats and skills up until now, there will be a more comprehensive review of some or all of the classes both as part of this process and once it is done. Given we know that we are adjusting things surrounding all the systems like this we are holding on some of the adjustments required so that we can do them in a way which is consistent with the new systems. We will be looking at in depth though, and I wanted to stress that point with you all today. There are certainly some imbalances in PVP that we want to address, and it makes sense to do it hand in hand with the new system changes and not before that.

In closing I just want to thank you all for your continued support and enjoyment of the game. We are working hard to keep providing you with interesting new content and new systems to expand the game-play experience. I feel we are headed in a good direction, and I really appreciate the support and feedback from all those in our community that make it what it is today.

We’ll see you all on the fields of battle

tkinnun0
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: November 14, 2008, 03:38:26 PM

In terms of game content we will have two brand new dungeon locations in the next game update. Situated in Thunder River both will be aimed at maximum level players. The Slaughter House Cellar is a single player level 80 instance and Xibaluku is a large team instanced dungeon aimed at the same level range.

That doesn't sound too bad at all.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: November 15, 2008, 02:15:22 AM

I am not pushing things too much to not cover myself with ridicule, but this game is so much better than it was, and growing.

Common concerns:

* Performances = solved. It runs great 'n smooth now. Sieges (48v48) included.
* Better itemization = coming in the next three months. Total revamp aimed to items and UI.
* Total soloability 1 to 80 with just quests and no grind = It's there up to 75, will be complete with the new Tarantia Common zone, next two months.
* More significant PvP team/guild goals = sigh, coming SOON(tm). Actually not so soon.

PvE-wise the game will be almost perfect, in my very humble opinion, in a matter of three months. It's still quite the best anyway to me.
PvP-wise it's incredibly fun and deep but it STILL lacks purpose other than PvP ranks and equip. Needs work soo badly.

If you like PvE, just give Conan another spin next February.
If you like PvP, just give Conan another spin next June.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 02:20:45 AM by Falconeer »

SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: November 16, 2008, 08:06:28 AM

So I'm thinking of giving this game another go.  No idea if I want to keep with my 71 Barb on the PvE server or my 50 Ranger on the PvP server, or just start anew.  I've been gone long enough to where it's all going to seem new, but am thinking about going a caster DPS class.  Most likely, I'll just roll another Ranger on a PvP server.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: November 16, 2008, 08:18:58 AM

I strongly suggest the PvP server.

First, there is not supposed to be anymore level 80 ganking you, or even helping their lowbie friends, due to the brand new fugitive system.
Second, the spice of the game is the Player vs Player combat. Playing PvE you are gimping yourself to boredom.
Third, they are definitely the most populated (as far as I know).

Finally, the ranger is a good choice if you are a solo player cause you have so many tricks to ensure your safety: traps, snares, unlimited stealth and the priceless tracker. DPS casters are great in group situations (necro and demo being the FOTM) but to level up by yourself on a PvP server can be tricky as you can be one-two shotted by stealthing rangers before you can even realize WTF is going on.

SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: November 16, 2008, 08:22:32 AM

I enjoyed the PvP server soooo much more than the PvE precisely because of what you said (boredom, and the minigames were broken), so I'll probably roll a newb Ranger.  Although, the one I have is right at the sweetspot of the new content.

Hrm.
veredus
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: November 19, 2008, 08:07:37 AM

They do anything performance wise for lower end systems? Or is it still rough to play on the min specs?
Bandit
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: November 19, 2008, 11:09:06 AM

If you like PvE, just give Conan another spin next February.
If you like PvP, just give Conan another spin next June.

Exactly the advice I was looking for.  Keep debating whether to purchase, as I am a R. E. Howard nut, but fearful of the feedback I have heard thus far.  In addition, I have slowly learned that jumping into brand new MMO's is a mistake (for me).  February sounds look a good time for it, give me a chance to explore Mines of Moria, and the EQ2 expansion before then.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: November 19, 2008, 11:57:57 PM

They do anything performance wise for lower end systems? Or is it still rough to play on the min specs?

I don't have a lower end system so I really don't know, but performances have improved dramatically since launch for everyone. Does that make it playable on very old machines, I have no idea sorry. 

squirrel
Contributor

Reply #9 on: November 20, 2008, 12:09:31 AM

For what it's worth I checked it out a couple nights ago on a friends acct on my aging machine and it ran well (45 - 60 fps, tweaked). I have a 4 year old AMD dual core with a 8800GT and it ran fine.

Speaking of marketing, we're out of milk.
veredus
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: November 20, 2008, 08:10:20 AM

Maybe I'll give it a shot anyway. Already own the game and Warhammer is really losing me fast now.
sidereal
Contributor

Reply #11 on: November 21, 2008, 03:17:36 PM

Fail is somewhat less epic?

I am intrigued.

THIS IS THE MOST I HAVE EVERY WANTED TO GET IN TO A BETA
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Age of Conan  |  Topic: Letter from the Game Director – November 14th 2008  
Jump to: