Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 02:15:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Game Design/Development  |  Topic: Yegolev Learns C# - was Your app's data 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Yegolev Learns C# - was Your app's data  (Read 32087 times)
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #105 on: February 02, 2009, 05:57:36 AM

Back to C#, I have a design question.  I have a Card class that represents a generic card.  When instantiating an object, I want a particular card.  What I imagine can happen is that I pass a string argument to Card and it instantiates that particular card; let's call it The Abyss just for an example.  The constructor needs to know what attributes to give The Abyss.  Would it be fine to have this data stored inside the Card class definition?  Seems like a good idea to me but I seem to flop most often on this part of OOP.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #106 on: February 02, 2009, 07:55:53 AM

Not that I do a lot of that type of work but offhand my guess is to create a card Interface (a type of abstract base class) that forces a certain set of generic components that you use on the object and then create child classes for each type of card.

A deck then would consist of strongly-typed card objects that are each treated individually but are all of the same 'type' so that you can create generic containers and such to manipulate them with.

This will then allow you to use introspection to do neat tricks with manipulating things at run-time.  Assuming the point of this exercise is still more toward learning OOP and C#.

Someone else will, I am sure, come along and call me a doodie head but the key-words you need to read up on for this are Introspection, Polymorphism and Interface.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #107 on: February 02, 2009, 09:18:41 AM

I'd put the card stats in xml document or database rather than clutter your class with the data for all your cards and get Moose an' Squirrel.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 01:29:36 PM by tazelbain »

"Me am play gods"
schild
Administrator

Reply #108 on: February 02, 2009, 09:27:11 AM

I'd card stats in xml document or database rather clutter you class with the data for all your cards.

What. You should read this sentence aloud.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #109 on: February 02, 2009, 10:02:39 AM

Assuming the point of this exercise is still more toward learning OOP and C#.

It is.  I'll take your direction since I didn't understand much of it. awesome, for real

I'd card stats in xml document or database rather clutter you class with the data for all your cards.
What. You should read this sentence aloud.

If you read it in a Boris Badenoff voice and tack "and get moose and squirrel" on the end, you're fine.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
sidereal
Contributor

Reply #110 on: February 02, 2009, 10:51:56 AM

In Soviet Russia, Card class designs you!

Yegolev, what you want here is a template class.  The template class stores the information about a card that persists from game to game.  The name, the flavor text, the cost, etc.  Then you have a card class that has a reference to its template as well as information that exists for a single game.  Whether it's tapped, counters on it, etc.  So to create a new card you either have a factory or the template base class will have a newCard() method that creates a new Card with itself as a template and returns it.

Something like:

Code:
public abstract class CardTemplate {
   protected int mPower = 0;

public Card newCard() {
      Card c = new Card(this);
      return c;
   }
}

public class IWinCardTemplate extends CardTemplate {
   public IWinCardTemplate() {
      mPower = 999;
      mToughness = 999;
      mCost = 1;
      mColor = CardColors.BLACK_AS_THE_DARKEST_NIGHT;
   }
}

public class Card {
   private CardTemplate mTemplate;
   private boolean isTapped;

public Card(CardTemplate ct) {
      mTemplate = ct;
   }
}

THIS IS THE MOST I HAVE EVERY WANTED TO GET IN TO A BETA
sidereal
Contributor

Reply #111 on: February 02, 2009, 10:53:04 AM

And the next step would be to make it data-driven instead of hardcoded cards.  So you'd load your templates up from an xml file or whatever.  But for the first few iterations, it's fine to just dump them into classes.

THIS IS THE MOST I HAVE EVERY WANTED TO GET IN TO A BETA
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #112 on: February 02, 2009, 10:53:41 AM

Not that I do a lot of that type of work but offhand my guess is to create a card Interface (a type of abstract base class) that forces a certain set of generic components that you use on the object and then create child classes for each type of card.

A deck then would consist of strongly-typed card objects that are each treated individually but are all of the same 'type' so that you can create generic containers and such to manipulate them with.

This will then allow you to use introspection to do neat tricks with manipulating things at run-time.  Assuming the point of this exercise is still more toward learning OOP and C#.

Someone else will, I am sure, come along and call me a doodie head but the key-words you need to read up on for this are Introspection, Polymorphism and Interface.
Place them in xml or a database, to echo tazelbain.

You don't want to have to go dig into your code because some card changed from 2 black mana to 3, or to add new cards. What you send your class is a key for the card's DB entry, and the card will then load various attributes from the DB.

Never hard code what you can stick in a DB or xml file (or hell, flat text). Why would you recompile your code whenever you add a new card?
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #113 on: February 02, 2009, 11:07:54 PM

Data driven is the way to go. I try to code things so that the code itself is just the engine that knows how to follow some rules and all the information comes from some place else.

Even if your cards have very special rules it's better to give those rules names and make them data driven so that you can always mix and match if you ever feel like it.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Game Design/Development  |  Topic: Yegolev Learns C# - was Your app's data  
Jump to: