Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 12:33:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: Cryptic to pointlessly segregate European servers 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cryptic to pointlessly segregate European servers  (Read 2949 times)
eldaec
Terracotta Army

on: November 16, 2004, 08:41:59 AM

As SophieX has already pointed out, the way things stand right now, if you want to play the European version, you'll need to buy the European game. We are looking into both account and character transfer for existing European players and as soon I hear anything definite on either, I'll be letting you know.

I should probably point out right now that those of you who have imported the US version will not be 'forced' to buy the European edition - you're completely free to continue playing on the US servers. Well, not actually 'free', as you'll have to carry on paying the subscription like everyone else, but you get the idea...

Can North Americanos play on the Euro Servers?

Not with the US version of the game, no. I guess they could import a European copy and sign up for a Euro account if they really want.

Oh for crying out loud.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #1 on: November 16, 2004, 11:50:09 AM

What the fuck is the point of this trend? The internet is global for fuck's sake.

I have never played WoW.
Fargull
Contributor

Reply #2 on: November 16, 2004, 01:15:27 PM

Couple guesses pulled outta my arse.

Taxation issues?

Bandwidth providers?

Those are the two reasons I can see as being possible.  No clue to reality though.

"I have come to believe that a great teacher is a great artist and that there are as few as there are any other great artists. Teaching might even be the greatest of the arts since the medium is the human mind and spirit." John Steinbeck
Sobelius
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: November 16, 2004, 01:26:56 PM

Quote from: shiznitz
What the fuck is the point of this trend? The internet is global for fuck's sake.

Internet is global -- not all companies operate globally.

Partnership deals may be set up for tax law purposes, or other legal reasons, to be able to to provide a service in a given country.

I don't like the trend either but there must be a profitable business reason why they are doing it -- perhaps server performance is better when the servers are local so they want to have a local presence that understands the service needs of the local players?

And as they said, they are not *forcing* anyone to play on specific servers.

The Arena Net folks don't seem to have this problem with Guild Wars. I played a few minutes on the Korean server when I couldn't get into the US server -- that was amusing. No special client build needed, no noticeable difference in connection speed. I think Arena Net is doing some things very well with their GW implementation -- truly worldwide servers is one of them -- but they also intended that to be the case all along since they are betting on making truly global international tournaments between teams of different server countries, so their system is designed to be more global in its orientation.

"I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
"A world without Vin Diesel is sad." -- me
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: January 12, 2005, 05:39:48 AM

Just a note on server transfers US -> EU.

Previously when asked 'will I be able to move my US hero to the EU servers?' Cryptic would answer 'we hope so, but haven't worked out how yet'.

Now they are saying...

Quote from: Bridger
My apologies if you've missed my previous posts and our FAQs on the European website. The short answer is 'not at the moment'. We're looking into it, and if anything changes I'll let you know.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
Pineapple
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: January 12, 2005, 09:03:50 AM

Different laws in different countries. Laws that can affect content. For example, the undead in WoW would not be allowed in China.

Some things in certain European countries are against the law, while not being the case in the US.
Xilren's Twin

Reply #6 on: January 12, 2005, 09:51:01 AM

Quote from: Pineapple
Different laws in different countries. Laws that can affect content. For example, the undead in WoW would not be allowed in China..

Undead are illegal in china?  WTF?

Now if they outlawed Dark Elves, that I could understand...

Xilren

"..but I'm by no means normal." - Schild
Pineapple
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: January 12, 2005, 10:58:24 AM

Quote from: Xilren's Twin

Undead are illegal in china?  WTF?

Now if they outlawed Dark Elves, that I could understand...

Xilren

Someone pointed this out a while back.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=mtgcom/arcana/50
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: January 12, 2005, 11:40:39 PM

Quote from: Pineapple

Different laws in different countries. Laws that can affect content. For example, the undead in WoW would not be allowed in China.

Some things in certain European countries are against the law, while not being the case in the US.

Except this isn't true in this case.

Cryptic have expressly stated that EU and US content will remain identical. Only difference is that if you live in France or Germany you get a translation.

The actual "reason" for this nonsense, is that without the English speaking CoH community supporting it (and paying for the majority of it), the localisation and EU support teams would not be viable as a separate entity. Of course, the fact that the English speaking CoH community don't need these things is never quite mentioned (not only don't need, but actively don't want, since it reduces the pool of support staff able to help that community, and delays content while it translated for the two countries out of twenty odd that get translations).

dEOS
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: January 13, 2005, 02:24:58 AM

French player playing on US server.

A few notes:
- Only France & Germany have translations... which is a bit limited when you consider that Europe is not UK+France+Germany... Everyone else in Europe will be playing on the UK/English-speaking server. English language is a serious barrier for some German/French people because they can't speak english correctly (and are proud of that). Somehow the fact that 90% of the Internet is in english doesn't seem to be a concern for them.

- Lag is a non-factor in all the MMORPGs I have played: AC1/AC2/CoH... Always played on US servers from France and never ever felt that the lag I noticed was due to my geographical localization.

- Cryptic is doing what Turbine has done with AC2/AC1. Selling the license to Jolt (www.jolt.co.uk) to setup servers & bill/support players in Europe. This probably simplifies a lot of the processes like negociating countless contracts with European-based service-provider to setup a server farm/support team in Europe.

- I prefer to play on servers that have an international population. Be that Euro-english servers or US servers... One part of the fun is to play with people from all around the globe... playing on a french server, I'll only be with french people which can be anti-climatic sometimes... French-french mentality if you prefer.

- It's worth to note that a lot of french players that were interested in playing CoH have already established on the Freedom server (US datacenter) since release. Therefore they all have characters that have hundred of hours spent in leveling  / community links building. 95% of them won't be moving, especially since playing on Euro server would mean buying the game again. I am in contact with english players on my server and I guess the same stands true for the english-speaking players.

Conclusion: Don't release your game in Europe 9 months after your US release...

d

CoH - Freedom
WoW - EU Servers - Sargeras [French-PvP]
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: Cryptic to pointlessly segregate European servers  
Jump to: