Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 12:41:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street  (Read 5222 times)
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

on: November 10, 2008, 07:33:39 AM

I enjoyed this quite a bit.  Burton minus blacklight.  Depp, Carter and Rickman were great.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 07:53:18 AM

Didn't even seem like a Burton movie to me.. Not fun or silly at all! Just really demented...

That isn't to say it wasn't good. Just that I couldn't watch everytime he dropped a victim on his head.  ACK!
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 08:47:50 AM

Didn't even seem like a Burton movie to me.

This assisted my enjoyment.  Also seeing Borat get it.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Oz
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 09:08:25 AM

Not fun or silly at all! Just really demented...

Maybe i'm severely twised but i thought there was tons of fun/silly in the movie.  Especially the whole meat pie song. 

On a side note all the blood in the movie was actually neon orange so that when they did the post production color effects its was a vibrant red.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: November 10, 2008, 03:23:20 PM

Also seeing Borat get it.

Best part of the movie. It helps that I hate Borat with a passion that is not to be equaled.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #5 on: November 10, 2008, 04:28:39 PM

Well, that sucks. Do you hate him more than Satan or Ann Coulter even?  undecided
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #6 on: November 10, 2008, 07:48:14 PM

Not fun or silly at all! Just really demented...

Maybe i'm severely twised but i thought there was tons of fun/silly in the movie.  Especially the whole meat pie song. 

On a side note all the blood in the movie was actually neon orange so that when they did the post production color effects its was a vibrant red.

Well what I mean is (and I know Burton didn't write it btw, so that's a big reason) that Sweeney Todd is more like Boogie from Nightmare before Christmas than he is like Jack Skellington. Jack (or even Beetlejuice) are funny, almost "good" bad guys in a way.. While Johnny Depp is just slashing throats and cracking skulls throughout this. I'd want to hang out with Jack.. But Sweeney Todd? No dice.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #7 on: November 11, 2008, 10:29:38 AM

If you had come away from the movie thinking "gee, I'd like to hang out with that guy," it would only be evidence of Burton having gotten it more wrong than Planet of the Apes.

I actually thought his Todd was a little too fun and silly if anything.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #8 on: November 11, 2008, 11:58:25 AM

Are you referring to the montage where Todd and Lovett were married?  That part was funny, but didn't seem to fit.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #9 on: November 11, 2008, 01:36:30 PM

That and Depp constantly looking like he's trying not to laugh.

It may be that I just have trouble seeing anybody but this guy in the role:

His face is just so goddamn perfect.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 01:39:03 PM by Samwise »

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: November 11, 2008, 08:08:00 PM

Eh.  Didn't really care for it personally.  Not realy sure why, just wasn't that interesting.  My mom going on and on about the evil we were putting into the head of our 4mo old son sleeping in the crib next to us while watching probably didn't help.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #11 on: November 11, 2008, 08:23:20 PM

Ah, grandmas. awesome, for real

About the montage, Depp's expression was what made that bit so funny.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: November 12, 2008, 04:20:23 PM

Of all the renditions of sweeney todd, I personally think this version is the best.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=CnnVd3wgTX0

(it really is supposed to be a dark comedy at times)

edit: Patti Lupone is neither young nor terribly attractive but something about her drives me crazy.
Am I weird?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 04:25:49 PM by Lakov_Sanite »

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #13 on: November 12, 2008, 07:34:23 PM

Funny -- that "ah!" has been played differently each time I've seen it. 

Depp's delivery: Ohhhhh, I see. (sort of a smirking "aha")
Hearn's delivery: awesome, for real (a sharp "hah!")
Hess's delivery: ACK! (a horrified "GAAH!")

I still like Hess's the best, both for sheer comic value (you don't expect ANYTHING to faze Sweeney so it's really funny when something finally does) and because it highlights that Mrs. Lovett is in some ways more twisted than he is.

And yeah, Patti LuPone is pretty hot in that clip.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street  
Jump to: