Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 06, 2024, 10:01:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Looking for tips on Hunters 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Looking for tips on Hunters  (Read 15734 times)
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: November 02, 2008, 11:01:27 AM

Yeah, that was my first thought too.   They changed mini-map tracking a few patches back.  Neuts are Gold dots, Friendlies are green with gold rings, Aggro are Red with gold rings.  There's a different dot for opposite faction PCs and Blue Dots for Friendly faction PCs.

Neutrals are gold now? Wtf happened to gold dots being quest objectives. Sigh. I was away when they made that change. No tracking addons. Afaik there is no way for an addon to do this. I wish there was. I'd love to filter out glowcaps in zangarmarsh on my herbalist for instance.  Looks like I missed a patch note. Sigh.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 11:04:10 AM by Phred »
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: November 02, 2008, 04:21:19 PM

Yeah, that was my first thought too.   They changed mini-map tracking a few patches back.  Neuts are Gold dots, Friendlies are green with gold rings, Aggro are Red with gold rings.  There's a different dot for opposite faction PCs and Blue Dots for Friendly faction PCs.

Neutrals are gold now? Wtf happened to gold dots being quest objectives. Sigh. I was away when they made that change. No tracking addons. Afaik there is no way for an addon to do this. I wish there was. I'd love to filter out glowcaps in zangarmarsh on my herbalist for instance.  Looks like I missed a patch note. Sigh.

AFAIK the yellow dots were just for quest handin people, and those you get a nice big F'n ? now.

I dont ever remember having mobs needed for quests being yellow on the minimap while tracking, and I have been playing a hunter for the better part of WoW's retail existence.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #37 on: November 02, 2008, 05:46:39 PM

I am using my wife's old raptor, I can't say I have any complaints...she tanks elite's a couple level's higher than me and does solid dps. And no cower bug.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: November 03, 2008, 12:48:26 PM

AFAIK the yellow dots were just for quest handin people, and those you get a nice big F'n ? now.

I dont ever remember having mobs needed for quests being yellow on the minimap while tracking, and I have been playing a hunter for the better part of WoW's retail existence.

Ya, I think it's my mistake. When I came back after a year off I heard they'd changed tracking, noticed the gold dots strewn around nagrand and assumed they'd added quest markers to hunter tracking too. Didn't make the connection from gold to neutral.

Also, on the new defensive mode. Has anyone also noticed a return of an old annoying bug where your character stays in semi-combat, doing the shoot animation, after the mob you were shooting is dead? This can  be a real problem with defensive mode as if you click on another mob your pet makes a beeline for it. So far the bug has happened to me out soloing as well as grouped. THank good for passive with the  lack of a true defensive mode.
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: November 03, 2008, 02:36:55 PM

I can't say I'm a fan of the new defensive mode. It wasn't a hardship to have to manually command my pet to attack something, and now my pet races off to attack things whether I want it to or not.

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: November 04, 2008, 08:56:52 AM

Speaking of gorillas, anyone using one having problems getting it to stomp regularly? With the spam dmg move and stomp both costing 25 focus it seems like the autocast code is favoring the dmg attack and then when the cooldown is up for stomp, there's no focus for it. Yet, even if I turn off the dmg move (swipe? can't remember now) he still wont autocast his stomp and is sitting at full focus for most of the fight. The only time I've ever seen him cast stomp was when he had 2 mobs on him.

I've had trouble with all of my pets on their special attacks.  What I've done is turn off the focus dump pet skill so that all that's automatic is special attack and growl.  It seems to work a bit better.

Just tamed the white gorilla down in Un'goro.  I love volley and AE now.
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: November 04, 2008, 09:03:04 AM

Do you have any professions yet? If you don't I'd recommend two of Mining, Skinning or Herbalism.

For hunters, I recommend mining/engineering for ammo later.  At 70, the best ammo in the game is crafted, and people don't sell it much.

Unless Blizzard gets rid of ammo requirements for hunters, that is.

Fishing/cooking/first aid are all good.  Fishing is decent money, too, even while leveling.  Great way to feed pets, if you don't happen to take the talent for your pet to stay happy.

The best way to level these is as you go, by the way, since the zones you are in have the stuff you need.

Selling ore is good money too.  Cooked goods sells well, fish sells well. 
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: November 04, 2008, 09:34:27 AM

For hunters, I recommend mining/engineering for ammo later.  At 70, the best ammo in the game is crafted, and people don't sell it much.

At 70, the best ammo in the game requires some raiding. You can buy "Mysterious" ammo once you're revered with Violet Eye (Kara raiding), and "Timeless" ammo once you're honored with Scale of the Sands (Hyjal raiding).

But if you're not doing any raiding, then yes. Crafted Adamantite is the best.

On the other hand, this may all become moot in a couple weeks. I haven't been peeking at WotLK spoilers in quite this much detail, but I imagine there will be better ammo available by the time we reach 80.

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: November 04, 2008, 09:38:54 AM

I'd disagree. Unless you have some deep love for engineering I'd steer well clear of it. I levelled mining and engineering on my Shaman alt, but dropped them for herb+inscription because engineering is just so underwhelming. As you level gathering professions make you money, while crafting professions suck money away, and engineering is definitely one of the most expensive to level. The profession-specific benefits don't cut it either compared to other professions. Arrows you can buy are not a good enough reason to pass up other profession benefits.

Double-gatherer is the best way to support a levelling toon, since all end-level toons can typically powerlevel most professions to 350 in a day or two, and before end-level the professions really have no benefit. For WoTLK LW looks like it will be the best profession for hunter, with BoP leg and wrist enchants as well as drums etc. So I'd reccommend skinning + mining/herb and then drop mining or herb for LW at 78 or so.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #44 on: November 04, 2008, 09:57:40 AM

At 70, the best ammo in the game requires some raiding. You can buy "Mysterious" ammo once you're revered with Violet Eye (Kara raiding), and "Timeless" ammo once you're honored with Scale of the Sands (Hyjal raiding).

But if you're not doing any raiding, then yes. Crafted Adamantite is the best.

On the other hand, this may all become moot in a couple weeks. I haven't been peeking at WotLK spoilers in quite this much detail, but I imagine there will be better ammo available by the time we reach 80.

Yeah, the best right now - according to that spreadsheet linked earlier - is Saronite at 67.5dps.   I wonder if its more expensive than the 2g/stack Timeless crap. Goddamn I hated buying full quivers of that stuff for raids knowing I'd be through at least one full bag of it by the end of the night.  It was the big quiver, too.

Anywho, I also agree on going with 2 gathering professions.  I'm of the opinion that Mining should always be one of these, because smithing, jewelcrafting, enchanting AND engineering use the metals.  The old world stuff like Thorium fetches a hell of a price and will only go up as new DKs level professions.  I think it was selling for 30g/ stack on my server last time I checked, whereas Adamantite is about 20g/ stack.*    Herbing isn't awful but the professions involved (alch/inscrip) don't use anywhere near the amount of materials to produce goods that smithing and JC do.   Add-in the potion debuff and you're looking at a lot lower demand for herbing stuff than mined mats.

*The reason for the difference is there were not a lot of thorium nodes or zones with thorium in the old world.  This means it's not anywhere near as easily farmed as admantite and fel iron which spawn everywhere in BC.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: December 02, 2008, 07:22:04 AM

As you level, don't spend a single point in anything but BM. BM is just like...retardedly OP for levelling. Once you get close to 70 you probably can think about throwing a couple of points here and there into the other trees (marks primarily looks to be useful for levelling).

I play on a RP-PVP server, so I went marksman.  Got myself a spider for it's always convenient webs, and that's a nice little combo.  Not as optimal as beast mastery for leveling, but it definitely does the trick.  My critical chances are ridiculously high, with the downside that I tend to pull aggro from my pet a little too easily.
Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: December 02, 2008, 10:35:56 AM

My Hunter is using a hodge podge of shit with a "talent spec" that was me clicking around. I started him a week before the expansion, used 3x speed to get him to 60, and never got any of the level 70 PURPZ so my gear/stats are subpar.

But.

All that considered, I can still round up 6 to 9 (heavily armored being 6, casters that I can LOS being 9) even level monsters and volley them down, using a gorilla to tank.

Armory link

I have been gathering leather and a buddy is making me the level 78 Swiftarrow set, so hopefully me having 0 resil (except for the free purple offhand, thanks Blizzard!) will be over soon.

At that point I plan on staying 78/79 and doing the battlegrounds that top out at 79 and spending my spare time staking my claim to the new ring of blood quest in ZD, preventing all the alliance people I can from completing it.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: December 02, 2008, 12:51:22 PM

The only macro I use at the moment:

/swapactionbar 1 2

With one bar being my ranged attacks and the other being my melee attacks.  For pets I don't worry so much about their stats.  I have a Deviate Dreadfang, a Death Ravager, and a Ghostsaber.  They all work well enough and my fishing (I actually like fishing) feeds two of them.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Driakos
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: December 03, 2008, 05:26:14 AM

I don't know what it is, but I like my ghostsaber.  Humar the Pridelord and Darkshore ghostsaber (sometimes a snow leopard, so it must just be the skin) are what I use.  For fun, sometimes I break out the elite spider from Bloodmyst.  He scales funny, and is super tiny, like a non-combat/mini pet.

oh god how did this get here I am not good with computer
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

2009 Demon's Souls Fantasy League Champion

Reply #49 on: December 03, 2008, 07:54:08 AM

1. Spec PvE Marksman
2. Faceroll
3. Huh
4. Top DPS Charts

Yes, I'm bitter at a broken DPS class. As a Fury warrior who is actually dealing competitive DPS after years of never being anywhere near the top of DPS charts.

In all seriousness though, I still do a LOT of damage. But Hunters are ridiculous right now.

It doesn't help that a lot of the 2-handers that I want are also super good for Hunters now, too. As if rolling off against the legions of other DPS warriors, Ret paladins, and Death Knights wasn't enough.

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
[20:42:41] The spirit touches you and you feel drained.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: December 03, 2008, 08:00:30 AM

Marks is definitely NOT a faceroll spec like BM or a warlock was in TBC.

But it is high DPS, I will not deny that.

Careful Aim and there being intellect on all mail gear also makes a big deal.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

2009 Demon's Souls Fantasy League Champion

Reply #51 on: December 03, 2008, 08:37:35 AM

Marks is definitely NOT a faceroll spec like BM or a warlock was in TBC.

But it is high DPS, I will not deny that.

Careful Aim and there being intellect on all mail gear also makes a big deal.

I know it's not faceroll - having to carefully time shot rotations to keep Chimera Shot running is important.

Like I said, I'm just bitter.

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
[20:42:41] The spirit touches you and you feel drained.
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #52 on: December 03, 2008, 09:04:50 AM

Barrage.

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: December 03, 2008, 09:36:08 AM

Barrage.

Volley in its current state reminds me of when I got banned from WoW the first time, using that floating hack.

Screen filled with damage numbers. Except this time they are huge damage numbers.
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: December 03, 2008, 10:01:16 AM

Speaking of volley, is the damage considered magical? I have a mage friend I have been rolling with, and I might start getting a set of +spell power shit for when we go on AOE killing sprees.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #55 on: December 03, 2008, 12:45:33 PM

It is considered Arcane, yes. However, hunter ranged attacks were all normalized to scale off RAP rather than spell power long ago. You might want to shop for a glyph of volley instead.

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: December 04, 2008, 05:46:21 AM

Ah thats right, I remember that happening after people were stacking spell power shit for crazy arcane shots I think.

Thanks

Vash
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: December 04, 2008, 01:23:44 PM

From what I can gather, BM is still the dps king @ 80 in WoTLK, other than the occasional heavy AoE situtation where a MM build might have a slightly stronger volley.  This in large part is due to BM hunter pets easily doing in excess of 1k dps, which when added to the hunter's own dps that is very competitive with most classes all by itself gets you total sustained dps numbers that can push 3.7K+ with just mixed 80 blues/heroics/10 man gear.

Can't vouch for this myself since I've only put about 2-3 hours into my 70 hunter since Wrath hit (busy with other classes), but based on my observations from various WWS reports, forums, blogs, etc. the concensus is 80 hunter dps is sick with BM still being the best/popular choice.  If I was gonna get serious about my hunter again I'd probably dig around in the Elitist Jerks hunter forums to see if they've crunched the numbers and proven one of the talent specs to be the superior choice this go around.  I understand Blizzard did a pretty stand up job though making all 3 trees raid viable and competitive with the new talents and talent changes, so it would be nice to see a thurough breakdown of how they compare at 80. 
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #58 on: December 04, 2008, 02:57:19 PM

Fact: Survival Hunters are the most lovable hunters.

God Save the Horn Players
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: December 04, 2008, 09:03:05 PM

From what I can gather, BM is still the dps king @ 80 in WoTLK, other than the occasional heavy AoE situtation where a MM build might have a slightly stronger volley.  This in large part is due to BM hunter pets easily doing in excess of 1k dps, which when added to the hunter's own dps that is very competitive with most classes all by itself gets you total sustained dps numbers that can push 3.7K+ with just mixed 80 blues/heroics/10 man gear.

Can't vouch for this myself since I've only put about 2-3 hours into my 70 hunter since Wrath hit (busy with other classes), but based on my observations from various WWS reports, forums, blogs, etc. the concensus is 80 hunter dps is sick with BM still being the best/popular choice.  If I was gonna get serious about my hunter again I'd probably dig around in the Elitist Jerks hunter forums to see if they've crunched the numbers and proven one of the talent specs to be the superior choice this go around.  I understand Blizzard did a pretty stand up job though making all 3 trees raid viable and competitive with the new talents and talent changes, so it would be nice to see a thurough breakdown of how they compare at 80. 

I do 4-500 more DPS as marks vs BM on a single target. Maybe I missed something, but I was never a crazy min-max do exactly as everyone says on EJ kind of person. Esp since a couple of the "respected" posters there I have known were total douchebags who did terrible DPS even with all their elite theorycrafting knowledge and gear far superior to mine.

Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: December 04, 2008, 10:06:41 PM

Just an Update, My hunter is now 52, With a gorilla from Un Goro Crater. My paladin is 48 and Duos with my wifes 48 Priest. Couple of other duos in the 30s. We are slow levelers but its damn fun. So much to do.

We are both hooked.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: December 04, 2008, 10:26:45 PM

DAMN YOU WOW!!  Is there no one that you cannot ensnare with your seductive wiles?!?

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #62 on: December 05, 2008, 05:53:41 AM

DAMN YOU WOW!!  Is there no one that you cannot ensnare with your seductive wiles?!?

For some reason, I'm reminded of Buffalo Bill from Silence of the Lambs, doing his make-up/tuck dance.
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: December 05, 2008, 06:51:02 AM

Looking at EJ, it seems Survival is lacking at the moment. From the parts I read, no clear cut winner between MM/BS yet, but when more gear comes into play I'll guess MM takes it.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: December 05, 2008, 09:32:04 AM

I didn't re-up when my ten day trial was through.  I'm not desperate enough yet, though I do admit I was tempted by my weakness to gypsy space goats.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: December 05, 2008, 11:05:17 AM

Looking at EJ, it seems Survival is lacking at the moment. From the parts I read, no clear cut winner between MM/BS yet, but when more gear comes into play I'll guess MM takes it.

Survival brings Replenishment though (this expansions Shadow priest mana buff), so it gets away with it  Ohhhhh, I see.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Looking for tips on Hunters  
Jump to: