Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:34:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Everquest 2  |  Topic: I cancelled after 4 years (or more on the new expansion) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: I cancelled after 4 years (or more on the new expansion)  (Read 31489 times)
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

on: October 27, 2008, 02:22:37 PM

So, I made 80 back in the spring and have been raiding twice a week. I enjoy raiding, but I didn't have time for much more than that so I only managed to get 135 AAs (140 max). Now, the new expansion is coming out and it adds a ton of AAs that seriously change my class (berserker.) But not only that, the devs are nerfing one of the original AA lines (Stamina) really hard which means that until I can earn the 5 I need to 140 and then another 20-30 to spend on the new trees, my character is going to be a fucking punk.  So I can either give up raiding with my guild on Wed and Sat nights which I enjoy and grind AAs by myself, or just take the hit. No thanks.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 05:34:14 PM by shiznitz »

I have never played WoW.
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #1 on: November 02, 2008, 05:44:28 PM

So the new expansion has loot than can be bought from merchants with items that drop once per new instance per group member. There are 6 armor pieces, available two sets. To get each piece of the second set, you have to run each instance 50 times. FIFTY TIMES! There is no way to speed this up. Yesm the instacnes themselves will drop other loot that you might want instead but this just blew me away. I guess the good news is that there will probably always be people looking to do the instances.

The other big changes is that tank gear in ToS has a new stat: crit mitigation. The mobs can critical. You need 100 crit mitigation to nullify 100% of criticals. The gear from the instances offers 1-2 crit mitigation per piece, max. So clearly mob will be tuned with crit mitigation assumed and whoa to any tank without it.

Yes, this kind of progression should not be shocking in a DIKU but it narrows the window of who can succeed more than before.

Just shows how hard it can be to break away that even though I cancelled, I cannot stop reading up about the changes,

I have never played WoW.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 06:08:11 AM

This is why I think EQ2 is a great game....I ignore raiding.

Ditto any mmo, really.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 06:31:36 AM

I played EQ2 primarily for crafting, housing, and the collection quests. When I discovered you could sell collection items, I lost interest.  It really killed the adventure slot machine aspect for me.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Bandit
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 12:13:59 PM

So the new expansion has loot than can be bought from merchants with items that drop once per new instance per group member. There are 6 armor pieces, available two sets. To get each piece of the second set, you have to run each instance 50 times. FIFTY TIMES!

This is why I think EQ2 is a great game....I ignore raiding.

This is not a question of raiding though is it? This is group instance armour?  I was thinking up re-subbing sometime to check out the expansion (when does it hit?) but this might nullify that decision.  Although, it might be easier to get a group just to check out content.
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008, 02:25:52 PM

It is group-obtainable armor. The first tier is Legendary. The second tier if Fabled and as good as much RoK raid gear. There are 20 different instances to choose from so that should help but I don't know how actually different they are.

I have never played WoW.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: November 04, 2008, 06:32:57 AM

Group-only content is pretty much the same as raid content as far as I'm concerned. I probably raided more than I grouped last year.
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #7 on: November 06, 2008, 10:29:59 AM

My spouse and I found the game crippingly slow.  And yes we weren't in a guild blah.

So basic interest question:  DO THEY HAVE INSTA HEALS NOW FOR ANY CLASS??  that is POTIONS.  Christ -- even first aid to lessen down time?

yes, this was a big deal -- I can not cope with combat slowly chipping away at my health and dying just when the mob had 1-2% of health left.  Every fuggin time.   A basic potion system LIKE WOW would have kept us playing.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: November 06, 2008, 12:16:36 PM

Downtime? With a duo? That's a new one.

Maybe look into crafting and make sure you have decent gear. Crafted armor/weapon + good food/drink should keep you going almost non-stop.

Then again, you like WoW. So play WoW.
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #9 on: November 06, 2008, 12:21:22 PM

no mostly ended up on my own.

Are the crafting potions though on par with WoW?  The NPC ones I just remember not helping.  thx.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: November 06, 2008, 01:48:50 PM

NPC anything sucks. Player crafted stuff is generally better than most normal drops, great for people without the means to hit dungeon bosses or raid.

Potions...I don't know. It's been about ten months since I played EQ2. Just get good armor and consume good food and drink and you shouldn't be worried about it. If you're dying while soloing, you need to gear up and adjust tactics. It's not WoW. Not being snarky, it just plays differently. And I enjoy it more, despite being a solo player.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #11 on: November 07, 2008, 08:45:38 PM

Same. I play an illusionist, and never feel the need for potions. In fact, none of the people I play with have ever complained about it. Out of combat regen is usually enough for me.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: November 10, 2008, 09:29:46 AM

I've got a 46 SK and a 54 Wizard and they were both fine for the most part.
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #13 on: November 30, 2008, 06:53:10 AM

So, I made 80 back in the spring and have been raiding twice a week. I enjoy raiding, but I didn't have time for much more than that so I only managed to get 135 AAs (140 max). Now, the new expansion is coming out and it adds a ton of AAs that seriously change my class (berserker.) But not only that, the devs are nerfing one of the original AA lines (Stamina) really hard which means that until I can earn the 5 I need to 140 and then another 20-30 to spend on the new trees, my character is going to be a fucking punk.  So I can either give up raiding with my guild on Wed and Sat nights which I enjoy and grind AAs by myself, or just take the hit. No thanks.

Well, my cycnicism wore off after some fun in Fallout 3 so I re-upped. The TSO instances are very well done. A few are easy, some are chellenging and some are really hard right now. What also helped is that I could take points out of the EoF tree and put them in the TSO tree right away, so my lost DPS was compensated with 2 new instant aggro taunts which work very well.

I have never played WoW.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: December 01, 2008, 09:28:09 AM

I poke into the class forums every now and again to see what people are whining about. The SK forum continues to be one of the funniest. People are pushing for more guardian/zerk abilities for raiding. SOE apparently removed the SK dumbfire pet, which was nice for soloing, and replaced it with an aoe taunt. Raiders are happy.

Trying to balance raiding with casual play is getting to be as bad as pve and pvp balancing. The dumbfire pet was something in my casting chain, replaced with something I'll never use. Hint to SOE: that's an unnecessary nerf. Just add the taunt and let soloers have the dumbfire.

Another winter without EQ2, I guess.
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #15 on: December 01, 2008, 10:29:35 AM

Yes, this expansion is not solo friendly. There is some new solo content, but it is about half a zone and 40-50 quests (guessttimate.) TSO is all about grouping. The good news is that with 20 instances, there is a lot of PUG action happening. Still, you bascially need 2 hours uninterrupted to do an instance right now and some take more. AE classes got some serious love in encounter design which made me happy as a berserker.

Encounter highlights so far:

1) Boss mob hovers above a "trampoline" device. Orbs of power slowly move towards him. If they get to him, he AEs the crap out of everyone. However, a player can absorb them by bouncing up to them. So everyone in the group is bouncing around (you have to hit the right spot to bounce or you fall into lava) absorbing orbs and taking swings at the named. Hilarious and fun.

2) Tricky gnome drops bombs on the ground at 75%, 50% and 25% health. It is easy to kill the bombs but you have to do it fast or they will explode and kill you.

These instances reward you with one or two void shards that can be exchanged for armor. It is similar to LDON in EQ1 but the zones are not as cookie cutter (at least not yet.)

I have never played WoW.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: December 01, 2008, 12:36:04 PM

They removed my skeleton? sad  I already do enough taunting, y'know, being by myself.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: December 01, 2008, 01:22:36 PM

Yeah, that's pretty blatantly a screwing of soloers in favor of group play...and it didn't need to be. Boo.

Also, if you want to min/max tank for groups and raids, become a guardian. SKs are hybrids, dammit. Should probably just roll a zerk if you want to be a fighter type in EQ2, imo.
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #18 on: December 01, 2008, 06:05:58 PM

I don't think EQ2 players understand that the new instances require progression, just like raids. The instances have vastly different difficulty levels. There is no mechanism to know this so you have to learn by trying or just read the forums where they are ranked.  The less appropriately geared the group is, then the more important it becomes to have the right classes in that instances. The right classes changes from instance to instance. If you can charm a mob in Veksar: Sunken Treasure then it becomes much easier because the goblins hit really hard. If you don't have dispelling classes, then good luck winning Nu'Roga.

I like it so far.

I have never played WoW.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: December 02, 2008, 04:11:28 AM

I have to say after the last expansion which I viewed as a 10 level grindbump to get back to grouping, the description of the new expansion has me considering reupping.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: December 02, 2008, 06:18:20 AM

I like shiz's posts. Any time I get the urge to play EQ2, I just read a few of them and remember the game is not made for people like me.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: December 02, 2008, 08:57:02 AM

And every time I read them I end up resubbing. ****ing Shiz

shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #22 on: December 02, 2008, 09:57:26 AM

If I didn't have a family and a job, this expansion would give me ass sores.

I have never played WoW.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: December 02, 2008, 03:24:32 PM

And my house with X expansions worth of pets and my AA mirror is gone. "We are not amused."

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: December 03, 2008, 06:10:45 AM

!!
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: December 03, 2008, 07:20:18 AM

I got a reply back, today's update includes some kind of housing upgrade and my house got caught in the middle and should be back. It was a pretty vivid shock.

Day One observations would be that moving animations and shadows to the second core is a huge change. I can run with full shadows and no lowering framerate and that the implications of not having a guild are horrific. I need a group for an hour to finish up my epic, so I'm going to PUG that? Ugh.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: December 03, 2008, 07:56:13 AM

Wow, being the graphics whore that I am, the thought of EQ2 running with ani and shadows on the second core is mmmm........C'mon shiz, tell us about another raid or cockblock or something! SKs and wizards are nerfed and useless, right?  why so serious?
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: December 03, 2008, 09:03:49 AM

The game was already smooth for me with my system upgrade.  Using other cores for some of the pretty but intensive stuff will be awesome.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: December 03, 2008, 09:33:17 AM

It's not a huge increase, but it's something and what finding it said to me was that SOE is making investments in the game. I found that I still take a hit for shadows, but it's minor and more than that, there's no difference between minimal and maxxed out shadows.

And my guild dropped our useless leader, reformed, and is raiding in my dream time slot. Hopefully they need a mystic.

(Oh and all the crap in my house is back.)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 09:50:10 AM by Numtini »

shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #29 on: December 03, 2008, 01:42:07 PM

Day One observations would be that moving animations and shadows to the second core is a huge change. I can run with full shadows and no lowering framerate

I had no fucking clue about this. Schweeeeet! Next time I log on, changing to Highest Quality!

As far as finding a guild, that shouldn't be that hard depending on your server.

I have never played WoW.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: December 03, 2008, 07:08:15 PM

It turns out my guild pulled itself together after our rather notorious cyber queen leader left, started kicking through content, and reformed under a new name (rep so bad that they tossed a lvl 80 guild--that's a statement) and they are perfect for my time, so I'm back with them. Bad news is they have too many shamans at the moment, so I'm a sub and I'll probably level a dirge or something.

I need to be out at around 10-11 est, tending towards the earlier and I'm not committing to more than 3 nights a week (though I'm usually good for more) and that makes it really hard to find a raid guild.

shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #31 on: December 04, 2008, 12:58:22 PM

So I switched to Very HIgh Quality last night and all was beautiful until I returned to a city area. That was crushing. Shadows off again.

I have never played WoW.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: December 05, 2008, 06:27:22 AM

That's basically how I was running it before. I had everything maxed out and then a crappy setting for cities. Neriak is hell, always crashed my pc.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: December 05, 2008, 08:02:57 AM

Another reason I love ProfitUI Reborn, it has four different settings in a minimenu along with toggles for names and such. While it has presets, you can change the settings and then overwrite them and use your own.

Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #34 on: December 13, 2008, 05:56:23 PM

I'm just happy I can run the game at all.

And seeing as I'm an Illusionist only in the 40s, no idea when I will use this content.

But I have a mount finally!  awesome, for real

I just wish I had the discipline or knowhow to blow through to the cool stuff.

EDIT: Just wanted to add that the winter content was amusing. Got 2 levels, a few AAs, and a decent item. Romping through the Icy Keep on heroic with only myself and an Assassin was amusing, especially with people crying in global for groups.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 06:00:28 PM by Strazos »

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Everquest 2  |  Topic: I cancelled after 4 years (or more on the new expansion)  
Jump to: