Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 06:08:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Lord of the Rings Online  |  Topic: Apparently the MoM NDA drops today... 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Apparently the MoM NDA drops today...  (Read 3097 times)
Tarami
Terracotta Army

on: October 20, 2008, 06:36:24 AM

...so if you're interested in ruining the whole experience (ACK!), Massively (and others, I'm sure...) will be releasing a stream of beta information the coming weeks.

A walkthrough of V2B1 is already up. I'm so not reading. Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

- I'm giving you this one for free.
- Nothing's free in the waterworld.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 07:45:49 AM

I'm not reading it.  I am still not quite finished with the Epic Prologue with my main.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: October 22, 2008, 11:41:05 PM

I'm not reading it either. Surprise me.

Though I will read anything about the Legendary Item system, which I will freely admit has given me an enormous Game Designer Erection since I first heard of it.

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 04:08:14 AM

I've read up on the new rating system for combat and I think it looks really good. Of course everyone is whining about it, but hey, that's humanity Internet for you.

It's basically the same concept as WoW's rating system, but it makes alot more sense to me.

You have integer ratings for block, parry, evade (also crit stats) that then translate into percentages based on mob level (contrary to WoW, which bases it on character level, which is just wrong.) This means that going down in mob levels will increase your effective chance of critting and blocking/parrying/evading.

Each stat has a hard cap at an effective 15%, but each stat also has a secondary attribute that isn't capped but increases very slowly and still in relation to mob level. For mitigation stats, this is called partials, and for crit stats it's called devastates. They appear to equate to roughly a third of the base stat, so with 10% Evade you'll have about 3.5% Partial Evade (for a total of 13.5% of either kind.)

Partials, as obvious by their name, are only partial mitigations for that stat (unlike the 100% mitigation from full blocks/parries/evades), which is usually around 30% mitigation or so. This is in addition to normal armour mitigation, so an armour mitigation of 50% and a partial parry for 30% will stack to a total mitigation of 80% (or 65%, depending on whether it's additive or multiplicative, not sure yet, but they do stack.) However, these partials also count toward combat responses, so Guardians will get their parry and block lines opened from partials, aswell as Burglars getting their evade skills triggered and so on.

Devastates are... well, super crits, resulting in damage twice the normal crit damage. They appear to scale the same way as partials do. That would mean Test of Will (LM skill, which has a 300% crit modifier) would do six times normal damage on a devastating hit. That's alot of damage.

Also, all armour values have been modified to use the same system. The core function has also been changed so that 25% of  common armour values count towards elemental mitigations. A 1000 armour item will give you 250 Lightning mitigation, 250 Acid mitigation and so on. (So in a sense 1000 armour gives you 2250 (1000+250*5) armour, split between the different schools of damage.)

I think it's really tidy, anyway. I like it alot on paper.

PS.
Theory here: What I've read seems to suggest that a high level mob no longer means instrinsic advantages, so level is instead just, more properly, a measure of how powerful the mob/character is. A higher level mob will require higher ratings to get the same effect from armour and stats, but what actual level player is doesn't matter. In theory it should mean you can overcome level differences simply by wielding awesome gear. Not sure if that made sense... Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 04:10:43 AM by Tarami »

- I'm giving you this one for free.
- Nothing's free in the waterworld.
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #4 on: October 25, 2008, 07:24:46 PM

PS.
Theory here: What I've read seems to suggest that a high level mob no longer means instrinsic advantages, so level is instead just, more properly, a measure of how powerful the mob/character is. A higher level mob will require higher ratings to get the same effect from armour and stats, but what actual level player is doesn't matter. In theory it should mean you can overcome level differences simply by wielding awesome gear. Not sure if that made sense... Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
It reads this way to me too, they even mention such effect in the dev diary on the subject. Also in PvM the beta players report that being 10 levels below the other player no longer completely kills the damage one can deal to them, which would suggest the artificial 'screw you' level-based modifiers were removed. If i read the tidbits on the system correct, it's not even the level of enemy that's being compared to the ratings, but the relevant ratings of the enemy, the level is just rough indicator what these ratings might be.

Overall a nice change; my only concern is an extra level of opaqueness it brings -- the game now operates on numbers which on their own don't mean much, and the monsters still only display their level so any attempt to estimate if your ratings are good enough to take on something a few levels higher... is likely to be difficult. UI-wise it'd probably make more sense to show the resulting percentages to the player (these are available as tooltips for the rating-based stats) ... except that'd make painfully obvious the treadmill nature of the whole 'character development', so can see why they chose to hide it and instead provide the player with something that at least appears to grow.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2008, 07:27:55 PM by tmp »
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Lord of the Rings Online  |  Topic: Apparently the MoM NDA drops today...  
Jump to: