Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:19:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Fifth Element 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fifth Element  (Read 19387 times)
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #35 on: October 21, 2008, 08:50:10 AM

"The four elements... earth, air, fire, and water.  Together, they combine to form the strong fifth element.  Boron."

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #36 on: October 21, 2008, 08:53:52 AM

Worst. Ending. Ever.

You're doing it wrong. The ending is  Heart.

I thought the fifth element was  Hearttongue

Seriously, though, the little puzzle with the elements at the end was like something I would have written to end a D&D adventure in 6th grade.

Also for a dude who the movie presents like he's supposed to be some kind of evil genius, the badguy is incredibly, stunningly stupid.

I liked a lot of the other stuff, but the movie just doesn't hold together well for me.

Question: You're developing a weapon that is supposed to save the universe, and can only be fired at the thing that is supposed to destroy it.  Do you come up with a trigger that is mindblowingly hard, or one so simple a collection of idiots can figure out how to work the damn thing?

I don't think the badguy was ever supposed to be a supergenious.  Just clever and dedicated to gaining power no matter the costs.  He just happened to be the CEO of some ubercorp.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #37 on: October 21, 2008, 09:06:22 AM

He fits his role to a fucking T. Who else could have played that character?

Chris Kattan.  Harvey Firestein.  Nathan Lane.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
FatuousTwat
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: October 22, 2008, 12:36:52 AM

n/m.

I guess you just like the movie or you don't.

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #39 on: October 22, 2008, 04:43:52 PM

Those guys would have been pretty funny, but the one thing they lack and that Chris Tucker had is that they couldn't convincingly command and make all of those bimbos swoon, like he did. He manages to be flamboyantly gay and pimp-ish at the same time.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #40 on: October 22, 2008, 06:20:35 PM

Yes.

Have you seen Angel-A? It's something I missed and still haven't got around to seeing.

No, haven't seen it. In his defense, some of the stuff he's served as writer/producer for has been pretty worthwhile. Wasabi was awesome, and District B13 was fun. And to fag up this thread with Star Wars, because hey it's me, I understand that Fifth Element prompted Lucas to offer Besson the director's chair for one of the prequels. But Besson said no, because he knew he'd never have any real freedom with the movie. Which is, of course, completely true.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #41 on: October 23, 2008, 07:00:49 AM

Those guys would have been pretty funny, but the one thing they lack and that Chris Tucker had is that they couldn't convincingly command and make all of those bimbos swoon, like he did. He manages to be flamboyantly gay and pimp-ish at the same time.

Alright, I'll concede this one.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
schild
Administrator

Reply #42 on: October 23, 2008, 07:05:35 AM

Alright, I'll concede this one.

Your choices were actually just kinda bad.

The role was unreasonable and insane and needed someone not totally ugly. Your list is unreasonable, insane, and pretty ugly, except for where it's totally gay.

In other words, it needed a comedic black guy. Tracy Morgan, if he weighed a shitload less could've done it, probably. The woman cast would've needed to be shorter though. So really, that just leaves Chris Tucker. Ok, Dave Chapelle maybe too, but he wasn't famous enough yet.

In other words, there isn't a white man available for the job. But Heath Ledger could've pulled it off. why so serious? I think he was 16 at the time though.
FatuousTwat
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: October 24, 2008, 12:48:36 AM

Tracy Morgan is too stoned-out. I can't think of anyone else that is so... Excitable?

Dave Chapelle could have done it, he does over the top really well, but I think he would have stolen the show?

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #44 on: October 24, 2008, 04:45:07 AM

I was a Luc Besson fan before The Fifth Element, and I was less so afterwards. It's just another corny, mediocre sci-fi flick that benefits from a huge budget and the director's talent.

I first saw it in French in a French cinema. With three children (not mine) in tow. They loved it, because it's a children's movie. Not a film for adults on a messageboard to speak of as the greatest sci-fi flick of all time because, fuck it, it's not.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #45 on: October 24, 2008, 05:51:14 AM

I was a Luc Besson fan before The Fifth Element, and I was less so afterwards. It's just another corny, mediocre sci-fi flick that benefits from a huge budget and the director's talent.

I first saw it in French in a French cinema. With three children (not mine) in tow. They loved it, because it's a children's movie. Not a film for adults on a messageboard to speak of as the greatest sci-fi flick of all time because, fuck it, it's not.

The guys claiming it was were probably 12-16 when it came out.  That tends to taint one's view of things.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #46 on: October 24, 2008, 06:03:01 AM

27 at the time. I claim it to be the greatest fun sci-fi popcorn flick of all time. You want to talk serious Sci-fi? Then I'll look at movies like Blade Runner, Dark City, etc.

Fifth Element is essentially a comedy, and thier's nothing wrong with that.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: October 24, 2008, 06:42:19 AM

So you join the Ironwood pile of people with terrible taste in movies, then?

Or do you just not understand fun? What's your favourite SF film? Or favourite comedy? Generally you seem a sensible chap but I can't understand anyone who doesn't love Fifth Element, so I'd be interested to see what you prefer.

(I watched part of it in french the other day. Dubbed. Yeah dubbing is enough to ruin anything for you...)

The guys claiming it was were probably 12-16 when it came out.  That tends to taint one's view of things.

Because people go around saying stuff like "greatest SF film ever" while only having watched it once, 11 years ago, right?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 06:45:26 AM by lamaros »
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: October 24, 2008, 07:37:31 AM

27 at the time. I claim it to be the greatest fun sci-fi popcorn flick of all time. You want to talk serious Sci-fi? Then I'll look at movies like Blade Runner, Dark City, etc.

Fifth Element is essentially a comedy, and thier's nothing wrong with that.

This. I love the Fifth Element though surprisingly I didn't care for it all that much when I first saw it. I think I went in expecting Leon and/or Nikita, and got well...the Fifth Element. Once I put my expectations aside and just let myself have fun I came to love the movie.

BTW, speaking of Dark City, has anyone picked up the director's edition that recently came out? Is it worth it?

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #49 on: October 24, 2008, 07:43:14 AM

This movie has Milla's tits, Oldman Hitler, people being blown to bits, and decent chaps being unjustly frozen to death... How could this be a kid's movie?
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: October 24, 2008, 09:17:33 AM

BTW, speaking of Dark City, has anyone picked up the director's edition that recently came out? Is it worth it?

See equilibriums thread.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: October 25, 2008, 04:27:53 AM

I'm with Ingmar. I got to the end of that movie and thought "WTF did I just watch?" It wasn't just the ending, though, it was its inability to combine the elements (no pun intended) of comedy, space opera, action flick, and message movie. It was utter chaos and completely disjointed. From the love for it that I see here I can only conclude that it just wasn't for me.

It took you to get to the end to see that?! This was The Last Boyscout set 400 years in the future. Check brain at the door kinda stuff. Metropolis is that away -->
FatuousTwat
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: October 30, 2008, 08:18:18 PM

Milla's tits

Does anyone really need any other reason? It being a great movie is just a plus. :P

Nerf
Terracotta Army

The Presence of Your Vehicle Has Been Documented

Reply #53 on: October 30, 2008, 08:22:13 PM

I don't remember if Milla showed her tits in Ultraviolet, but even if she did, theres no way it made up for it.
FatuousTwat
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: October 30, 2008, 10:49:49 PM

Good point... MONORAIL?!

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #55 on: October 31, 2008, 07:29:38 AM

Ultraviolet produced projectile vomting in 7 out of 10 lab rats.

Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: October 31, 2008, 11:45:41 AM

In related news, 3 out of 10 lab rats are both blind and deaf.
FatuousTwat
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: November 12, 2008, 04:18:13 PM

(Just found this pic, had to post it. Sorry for the resurrect. :P)

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Fifth Element  
Jump to: