Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:49:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Age of Conan  |  Topic: Q&A Culture Armor and Weapons 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Q&A Culture Armor and Weapons  (Read 12947 times)
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

on: October 16, 2008, 08:15:25 AM

System Designer Dave Williams took some time to answer a few questions on culture armor and weapons.

How many new recipes will there be?

There are 24 culture armor recipes. Each recipe makes three pieces of set. Thus for patch 3 we are releasing twelve 6 piece armor sets -- one set per class. There are four culture weapon recipes grouped by geography, and each weapon recipe can make 3 weapons related to that theme. There are a couple of details that I'm going to leave to discovery, that I think players will find interesting.

This is the first iteration of what is currently planned to be a more extensive system, as we want to make small incremental steps in order to both get content out to players, but also validate the direction we want to take. So for patch 3 each class will have only 1 culture armor set it may use. Each weapon type is likewise represented once amongst the culture weapons. To some degree, this first step was designed to be comparatively lightweight. We expect players to find culture weapons and armors to be compelling, and if this is sufficiently the case, that's certainly the necessary feedback to make future iterations increasingly more of a parallel advancement system within crafting that will be more about lore and proper quest driven mechanics.

Will there be level restrictions for culture armors and weapons (e.g. only available for lvl 70 up)?

Three pieces of a given culture armor set are level 78, and the remaining three pieces are level 79. Culture weapons are all level 80.
This is intended to be end-game crafted content, however we purposely left ourselves significant headroom for future use.

Will the best recipes be only available as raid loot?

Currently all the culture items are boss-dropped blues. We plan to introduce crafted raid items down the line, but that may or may not be culture gear. At the moment, culture items are intended to fill the crafting niche for end-game content that does not require a guild.
However, this may change based on future crafting needs as well as game balance. It will especially have to be re-examined when we look at introducing epic crafted gear.

Just to be clear, there is not yet epic crafted items, but I can say this is being given some design attention. Epic crafted gear may certainly require epic mats, and it might be the case that raids are the only appropriate venue for players to acquire those resources. More about that later, probably after the larger item rebalance initiative.

Will the culture armors and weapons more or less 'only' look good or will they also be good items to actually fight with?

Stat-wise crafted culture items are intended to be better than existing dungeon-dropped blues, but obviously not as good as same-level epics.
The inherent stats alone on the item makes crafted culture gear as good, or better than existing dungeon blues. On top of the inherent stats there is one or two gem slots. After analyzing the crafting system that existed at launch, it became clear we had far too fragile a system by making gem-cutting and smithing completely dependent on one another.

In the future I see gems being completely necessary to customize a crafted weapon or armor piece, and really take it to the next level of stats. However its equally true that I don't expect gems to entirely account for the value placed on crafted gear. Note that sometime in the future if we decide to make a dungeon that is substantially harder than existing content, it might be the case that blue drops off the endboss (for example) would have slightly better stats than crafted culture items. But currently, a fully gemmed piece of culture gear will be the best blue available to players at that level.

In terms of looks, it's definitely my vision that Hyborian authenticity has a big seat at the table. Looking good will always be a matter of opinion, and opinions will differ. But I think it's important to adjust crafting to be an integral part of the game world. This means usefulness, but it also means utilizing the lore of Conan to bring a unified game experience. Where practical, we used good-looking visuals for crafted culture gear that are not otherwise available to players. In some cases, there is an intersection with looks that are used elsewhere in the game. For example, with some community loot (which is in essence 'culture gear,' just not crafted culture gear). As we roll out more of the system, this will be one area that will improve as needed.

Which culture armors and weapons will there be?

Following cultures are represented in armors:

* White Hand / Hyberborian
    * Nemdian
    * Pictish
    * Bossonian
    * Stygian
    * Argossean
    * Kushite
    * Shemite
    * Zingaran
    * Vanaheim
    * Archeronian

Atlantean armors are not currently available to crafters, as this culture is intended for later use with more powerful armors.

Culture weapons are as much about the gods of a given area as they are about the cultures represented in that location. The breakdown is a little less orderly, I want to let players discover the details on their own smiley

In comparison, city armors and city weapons are (generally speaking) in the style of Poitain, Cimmeria and Aquilonia. Although this isn't always the case -- Stygian cloth, for example is also represented there. The idea is that city items are what guild blacksmiths might produce to help gear up members, or sell for a regular profit. When gemmed, city items are slightly better than same-level blues. Their production is straightforward, and this is the benefit of requiring guild feats.

Crafting culture items is a much more involved process in terms of acquiring esoteric mats that could come from other recipes or strange places, and making culture gear should be seen as a much more personal achievement that enables players to really explore character identity (of both the crafter, and the wearer) as well as kick ass.

Will culture armors and weapons be restricted for certain races? Like Stygian culture armor can only be worn by stygian chars?

In a very indirect fashion. For example, certain cultures are just not appropriate for certain classes. Like I wouldn't expect to find a lot of Priests of Mitra running around Kush.

Will there be only one version of each armor? Like only Acheronian plate or also Acheronian cloth, Acheronian light armor etc.?

With the initial release of culture gear, there will be only one set for each culture. So obviously this implies one version of each armor. But in future updates, it's certainly the case that for many cultures, there could be multiple versions across a single material type.

Will there be only one type of each culture weapon? Like Acheronian sword but no Acheronian dagger or Acheronian staff or Acheronian bow etc.?

Again, this will be initially true. We're certainly aware the idea of culture items, which do not require guild cities nor the top feats, is a departure from the current state of crafting in AoC. It's also true that new direction to any system on a live MMORPG is a tricky thing that requires caution, planning, and keeping a close eye on what happens when players get their hands on it. The crafting changes scheduled for the next update so far have had a very positive response from the community, and I think as crafting in general is continually improved that players will have a lot of fun with the new content as it is released.

Link

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 04:22:16 PM

I took a stroll on the test server and noticed lots of interesting things. I am putting it here randomly.

- Every class now has a set (with a cool look) every ten levels starting from 50. On test server you can get it all for free, and they are sweet.
- On test server, some armour pieces have strange stats, like +400 lockpicking, or +200 trap disarming, or even +2.0 charisma. I guess they are about to turn on some exciting anannounced new stuff/mechanics.
- Ymir's pass, new 55+ zone, is on test live. Didn't go there yet though.
- HUGE changes to combat (and combo) system. Basically, all combos have been shortened by one step. There aren't 4 steps combos anymore, at all. Many combos have been reduced to 2 or even 1 step (which is different from istant.. you still have to activate the combo and then swing once, aiming at your moving target). Result: PvP combat is even faster if possible without losing its ultra-dynamic nature. On top of that, if you swing in the air to prepare your combos and just save the last hit for your enemy, then your combo get a damage penalty of 15% for each air-swing. With 3 steps combos minimum is 15% (1 miss) and maximum penalty is 30% (2 misses). Penalty applies if you swing in the air without a target in range, not if you just miss while your target IS in range. End of "prepare your damage combi by swinging at air" era.
- Casting concentration (well, interrupting) now works. Even if you max it, casters can get interrupted by damage, less likely if they have a higher skill value.
- Cooldowns now have a beter visual indicator.
- Crowd control has been revamped. Chain-stunning capabilities have been reduced.

What can I say? It keeps getting better and better.

What it seriously still needs?

1) PvP goals. Put in smaller keeps with bonuses, make war meaningful.
2) Guild tools. Give us alliances and guild colours/flags. Bounties and guild wars. Make sides meaningful and apparent.

That's it. Do these improvements and it'll be the best pvp mmo evah.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 04:55:29 PM by Falconeer »

schild
Administrator

Reply #2 on: October 17, 2008, 11:29:28 AM

screenshots, falc?
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: October 17, 2008, 11:31:55 AM

damn me... yes I guess I could take a few. I'll do it.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: October 17, 2008, 01:10:10 PM

First batch of random pictures.
Not sure what is culture and what is generic class set. I just know that according to the test server you can get custom equip at 37 and 80, and some "generic" (but still new-looking) at any other level. Finally there's some PvP level 5 class stuff.

This is female guardian level 35 (?) set.

This is female barbarian level 80 set.

and this is female barbarian level 5 pvp set.

More to come...

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: October 17, 2008, 01:35:12 PM

Tempest PVP set. Sorry, on test you can't delevel so I couldn't get the other sets of armor. Meh.

Antialiasing is off. Resolution is 1280x1024

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: October 17, 2008, 02:07:25 PM

Herald of Xotli.

"Generic" set.

Custom set, level 80.

PvP set level 5. Can you believe it's the same char? Hell of a two-handed mage.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: October 19, 2008, 03:10:44 AM

Dark Templar

Generic level 35 armour

Level 80 Class armour

Level 5 PvP armour

Same, details

What we are missing here are the level 37 sets. Apparently there's a glitch on test so if you get the 37 armour (from the test npc), you can't get anything else later so I am dodging that.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: October 26, 2008, 08:27:09 AM

For your viewing pleasure (  awesome, for real ) I played around with the Assassin.

Level 35 or so armor

Level 40 armor

Level 70 armor

Level 80

PvP level 5

Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: October 26, 2008, 08:50:01 AM

This thread could be merged with T&A. DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Some cool looking armour, never the less. I think will go practice some MMO necrophilia myself, over in the LotRO section. wink

- I'm giving you this one for free.
- Nothing's free in the waterworld.
schild
Administrator

Reply #10 on: October 26, 2008, 08:50:22 AM

Who the fuck designed the pants/skirts for the assassin? A blind person?

No, scratch that, the whole ensemble is horrible. Just horrible.
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: October 26, 2008, 09:21:14 AM

Assassin armor makes the avatars look fat. 
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: October 26, 2008, 09:32:01 AM

It's not the armour, it's me. I always go for the fattest possible. Which, in AoC case, is not that fat. I remember the sliders being much more permissive in the beta. They nerfed fat just a week before release. Serious.

schild
Administrator

Reply #13 on: October 26, 2008, 09:36:13 AM

Probably because fat in AoC is beyond ugly/fat in real life.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #14 on: October 26, 2008, 09:42:52 AM

no. seriously. the colors alone are just awful. do they not have a single person with fashion sense on the AoC team? I'm a nerd. I cannot dress myself fashionably to save my life.

But even I know that purple, military green and rust red do not mix. In any concievable combination.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: October 26, 2008, 09:54:22 AM

But you don't understand! It's a culture armour!  awesome, for real
« Last Edit: October 26, 2008, 09:55:58 AM by Falconeer »

Xuri
Terracotta Army

몇살이세욬ㅋ 몇살이 몇살 몇살이세욬ㅋ!!!!!1!

Reply #16 on: October 27, 2008, 03:05:31 AM

Just to clarify... The level 70 assassin armor set is not culture armor, but some generic "set" you can acquire elsewhere. And yes, colors.  ACK!

-= Ho Eyo He Hum =-
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: November 01, 2008, 03:02:53 AM

Ranger PvP armour (save for the helm)

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Age of Conan  |  Topic: Q&A Culture Armor and Weapons  
Jump to: