Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:17:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: MarkJacobsEA - RE: scenarios 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: MarkJacobsEA - RE: scenarios  (Read 40316 times)
Terrorsauce

Email
Reply #35 on: October 20, 2008, 11:58:33 AM

*BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE*

« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 12:03:24 PM by Rasix »
Kirth
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: October 20, 2008, 11:59:36 AM

At least this wall of text is contained to an existing thread.
Terrorsauce

Email
Reply #37 on: October 20, 2008, 12:00:19 PM

At least this wall of text is contained to an existing thread.

I try  Heart
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #38 on: October 20, 2008, 12:02:33 PM

Fuck.  I'm tired of this.  Go somewhere else for the HEY MARK or grand fucking thesis of WAR posts.

-Rasix
Terrorsauce

Email
Reply #39 on: October 20, 2008, 12:03:53 PM

Fuck.  I'm tired of this.  Go somewhere else for the HEY MARK or grand fucking thesis of WAR posts.

Right because this isnt a discussion about scenarios in warhammer...i forgot my bad.  Hey lets talk about something else. 

If a cow laughed would milk come out of its nose?  Discuss.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #40 on: October 20, 2008, 12:46:24 PM

But, but...If I say things in a long, drawn out format where I repeat myself a billion times and wax philosophically about "fun" I'm sure the devs will listen! Right? RIGHT?!?

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
korrowan
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: October 20, 2008, 12:56:05 PM

Also having the maps set up like Planetside would help RvR..if you knew where the "hotspots" are ... the more likely you would be to find that hot spot and have some fun in RvR. 
schild
Administrator

Reply #42 on: October 20, 2008, 01:00:22 PM

I like this Terrorsauce guy.

Whoops, I like Rasix. Bye Terrorsauce!
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: October 20, 2008, 01:29:23 PM

Also having the maps set up like Planetside would help RvR..if you knew where the "hotspots" are ... the more likely you would be to find that hot spot and have some fun in RvR. 

This has theoretically been under consideration for a few months. Even with a world this big and lacking teleporting and horses before 20, it would go a long way to helping people justifying hauling their butts out there at all.
Kirth
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: October 20, 2008, 01:49:13 PM

Cut down before he had a chance to blossom.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: October 20, 2008, 02:03:08 PM

This has theoretically been under consideration for a few months. Even with a world this big and lacking teleporting and horses before 20, it would go a long way to helping people justifying hauling their butts out there at all.

They had crossed swords on the map in daoc, seems logical that they'd highlight hotspots.  It was a nice way to know where the zerg was, though this information can also be used tactically by small strike forces. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: October 20, 2008, 03:04:08 PM

They had crossed swords on the map in daoc, seems logical that they'd highlight hotspots.  It was a nice way to know where the zerg was, though this information can also be used tactically by small strike forces. 
They're present in WAR aswell, atleast in a sense. Skirmish symbols appear, but unless you're popping the map all the time and zooming around all the pairings, you have no chance of noticing. They would need to be huge and on the world map or atleast pairing map. "Look, here be fightin', mon!"

Really, overall communication and information relaying in the game is abysmal. Personally I feel better global relaying of information would be an easy and extremely helpful way of shrinking the game world. Number of people in zones, in RvR lakes, at PQs, PQs beyond stage 1, people in queue for scenarios (so that queueing for a specific scenario has any point) and so on and so on.

- I'm giving you this one for free.
- Nothing's free in the waterworld.
squirrel
Contributor

Reply #47 on: October 20, 2008, 03:06:40 PM

Yeah these are in WAR too. The small red swords and shields indicate where battles where recently. It's somewhat helpful, as are the little explosion symbols on the keeps. The real issue is that there are too many RvR lake areas to monitor. If I happen to be in Empire vs. Chaos and there's fights in HE vs. DE I'd never know. Which has all been said before.

Speaking of marketing, we're out of milk.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #48 on: October 20, 2008, 03:41:03 PM

Yeah these are in WAR too. The small red swords and shields indicate where battles where recently. It's somewhat helpful, as are the little explosion symbols on the keeps. The real issue is that there are too many RvR lake areas to monitor. If I happen to be in Empire vs. Chaos and there's fights in HE vs. DE I'd never know. Which has all been said before.

And even if I do happen to see these swords, I could be looking at a 5-10 minute hump just to get in a position to join in - like last night. I had to run a long way just to get into the RVR area when stuff was kicking off. I need a popup with the option to teleport to the nearest warcamp.

squirrel
Contributor

Reply #49 on: October 20, 2008, 03:44:24 PM

And even if I do happen to see these swords, I could be looking at a 5-10 minute hump just to get in a position to join in - like last night. I had to run a long way just to get into the RVR area when stuff was kicking off. I need a popup with the option to teleport to the nearest warcamp.

Yeah I was going to add that 90% of the time by the time you get on your horsie and get over to the fight it's gone. But the little icons are still there, leading to a "chase the puck" game. It's fine in Tier 1 where the areas are so small and close to the Warcamps, but they don't feel very epic consequently.

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: October 20, 2008, 05:27:55 PM

Ah, I did not know this. All the points are valid, but at least the foundation is there to be tweaked. Easy stuff now:

- Make it fade out over a period of time with some darker than others based on how recent activity is.
- Make it grow larger until it overlaps two local spawn points in something of a line or something
- Tweak other stuff
- All of the above
Kirth
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: October 20, 2008, 06:27:19 PM

- Make it fade out over a period of time with some darker than others based on how recent activity is.
- Make it grow larger until it overlaps two local spawn points in something of a line or something
- Tweak other stuff
- All of the above

They do get larger based on how much RvR is going on. I've seen a few large ones clustered in T4 recently, and yeh there was action when I went there.
squirrel
Contributor

Reply #52 on: October 20, 2008, 07:39:15 PM

- Tweak other stuff
- All of the above

They do get larger based on how much RvR is going on. I've seen a few large ones clustered in T4 recently, and yeh there was action when I went there.

Yeah they do scale. They actually work ok, but you can't see them in other pairing zones which sucks, because it ends up playing like a 6 year old's soccer match. You know, a big pack of kids running around the field 5 steps behind the ball. And they need to fade faster.

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: October 20, 2008, 07:59:44 PM

Nice.
Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #54 on: October 20, 2008, 08:09:04 PM

On the topic of scenarios, did anyone suggest taking out the queueing for individual ones, and just having a "queue" button, with the game then randomly selecting a scenario once enough people join up. And make it so that the same once can't be played twice in a row.

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #55 on: October 20, 2008, 08:22:30 PM

On the topic of scenarios, did anyone suggest taking out the queueing for individual ones, and just having a "queue" button, with the game then randomly selecting a scenario once enough people join up. And make it so that the same once can't be played twice in a row.

Yep. Pretty sure I saw that.  Pretty sure that also won't stop the next dev stalker from popping in here and telling us the same thing in 2000 words and a few charts.

-Rasix
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #56 on: October 20, 2008, 08:26:11 PM

I'd forgive a wall of text with supporting charts mixed in.

I still wouldn't read it mind you, but I'd be more forgiving.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #57 on: October 21, 2008, 09:36:13 AM

It might be interesting to have some "battlefield objectives-light" in the Tier 1/2 RVR areas.  Something that is soloable but still worth something to the solo-ist (xp, whatever).

This would serve as training wheels for the tier 3 and 4 because if you get enough people doing these BO-light things they are sure to fight.......and there is your ORvR.  And you get the same ease of use/rush, etc. as with scenarios for nooblets.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: October 21, 2008, 10:09:51 AM

Man, is it just me that's frustrated that MJ keeps harping on this? He asks, everyone says what a terrible idea it is, he sort of says, "Okay, but THINK about it..." and goes on about them again. Now a poll.

This does not instill me with confidence when the main, glaring problem (the grind) is so easy to fix. But no, no... don't cut xp needed. Make a new server set instead. Talk about swinging a sledgehammer in the opposite direction of the problem.
Mzar

Email
Reply #59 on: October 21, 2008, 12:11:01 PM

Hi!

I'm a noob here, but I wanted to weigh in on ideas I liked and what I think the game needs.

That sounds great, go do it somewhere else!
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 12:19:49 PM by schild »
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #60 on: October 21, 2008, 01:40:54 PM

Man, there's newbs getting culled left and right. It's like fucking Nam around here.

Anyway, I just wanted to say, can we quit calling him MJ? It sounds gay as fuck.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: October 21, 2008, 02:10:36 PM

F13... shit; I'm still only in F13... Every time I think I'm gonna wake up back at WHA. When I was home after my first tour, it was worse. I'd wake up and there'd be nothing. I hardly said a word to my wife, until I said "yes" to a divorce. When I was here, I wanted to be there; when I was there, all I could think of was getting back into that forum. I'm here a week now... waiting for a mission... getting softer; every minute I stay in this room, I get weaker, and every minute newbie squats in the bush, he gets stronger. Each time I looked around, the posts get a little longer.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: October 21, 2008, 02:12:18 PM

Man, there's newbs getting culled left and right. It's like fucking Nam around here.

Anyway, I just wanted to say, can we quit calling him MJ? It sounds gay as fuck.

I can second that motion and will never post it again. Unless we talk about Michael Jordan.
Kirth
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: October 21, 2008, 02:21:32 PM

Hey, man, you don't talk to the Jacobs. You listen to him. The man's enlarged my mind. He's a poet-warrior in the classic sense. I mean sometimes he'll... uh... well, you'll say "hello" to him, right? And he'll just walk right by you. He won't even notice you. And suddenly he'll grab you, and he'll throw you in a corner, and he'll say, "do you know that 'if' is the middle word in life? If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs and blaming it on you, if you can trust yourself when all men doubt you"... I mean I'm no, I can't... I'm a little man, I'm a little man, he's... he's a great man. I should have been a pair of ragged claws scuttling across floors of silent seas...
Wasted
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: October 21, 2008, 07:19:41 PM

I can second that motion and will never post it again. Unless we talk about Michael Jordan.

Every time i read MJ I think of spiderman
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #65 on: October 21, 2008, 07:29:59 PM

Cut down before he had a chance to blossom.

WAR is everywhere. C'est la vie...

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #66 on: October 21, 2008, 07:38:21 PM

Yep. Pretty sure I saw that.  Pretty sure that also won't stop the next dev stalker from popping in here and telling us the same thing in 2000 words and a few charts.

Heh. Good that it has though, just wanted to make sure that some of the more reasonable suggestions were getting through.

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: October 21, 2008, 07:52:17 PM

Man, is it just me that's frustrated that MJ keeps harping on this? He asks, everyone says what a terrible idea it is, he sort of says, "Okay, but THINK about it..." and goes on about them again. Now a poll.

This does not instill me with confidence when the main, glaring problem (the grind) is so easy to fix. But no, no... don't cut xp needed. Make a new server set instead. Talk about swinging a sledgehammer in the opposite direction of the problem.

Jacobs is more than willing to listen to any and all ideas, as long as they agree with his own.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 07:54:33 PM by Nevermore »

Over and out.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: October 21, 2008, 08:59:07 PM

Jacobs is more than willing to listen to any and all ideas, as long as they agree with his own.

I'm sorry, but this is a cheapshot.  I've had a number of exchanges with Mark over the years and always found him a willing listener.  When he didn't agree, it was usually backed by sound logic.

I realize that many of us would like WAR to be closer to our ideals, but lets not turn this into a personal attack on the man.  Like him or not, he has advanced the genre not only with his first, but second title.   

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Plagio
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: October 21, 2008, 10:28:38 PM

Boost world rvr rewards and kick people out of senarios for good at 40.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: MarkJacobsEA - RE: scenarios  
Jump to: