Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 05:21:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Everquest 2  |  Topic: November 10 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: November 10  (Read 3525 times)
Sobelius
Terracotta Army

on: November 11, 2004, 06:38:07 AM

So much for the honeymoon.

1. Got booted/disconnected twice last night trying to zone into a Freeport City zone. And got disco'd once just standing in a tavern.

2. UI has permanently made my Options panel invisible and I can't change the settings because the settings edit button doesn't appear when I right-click. The panel is there, just invisible except for the tooltip mouseovers.

3. I joined a group for a quest last night that ported us into an instanced 'house' -- the room we zoned into had mobs in it so by the time I got in the group was already in a fight. Why on earth are there hostile mobs at a zone in point? Given the load times between zones, it would be no fun to zone n and find yourself dead -- that hasn't happened yet but I am predicting it...

4. Servers were down yesterday morning for 2 hours and down for 4 hours today. Not bad, but not great either.

"I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
"A world without Vin Diesel is sad." -- me
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #1 on: November 11, 2004, 06:42:54 AM

Lots of servers crashed at about 10:30pm EST last night. Too many people.

One bug I experienced - having to re-attune the same item several times upon deaths/zoning. Seems to have fixed itself finally.

Also, if you think you are out of quests in your home village, go to the other newbie villages. None of the quests seem to be race dependent at all.

I have never played WoW.
Toast
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: November 11, 2004, 08:19:47 AM

The servers went down for about 30 minutes last night. When they came back, everything went fine.

I went into chat which had over 1,000 complete idiots in one channel.

A good idea is a good idea forever.
Ozzu
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: November 11, 2004, 10:29:25 AM

Last night when it went down, you couldn't connect to ANY of the SOE games. It was a power issue supposedly.
Kenrick
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: November 11, 2004, 10:39:47 AM

Just picked up the dvd version at Best Buy for $39.99.

Maybe I'll like it, maybe I won't.  Couldn't pass up the price though, with the free month too.

This game has 30 days to win me over.
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #5 on: November 11, 2004, 11:56:30 AM

You will like it the first week. After that, I cannot predict.

I have never played WoW.
Kenrick
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: November 11, 2004, 04:10:11 PM

First impressions:  Third generation, my ass.  Models look lifeless, plastic, and bland.  World looks hum-drum.  For all the hype about its incredible graphics engine, I'm not impressed yet.

I haven't seen much at all, that's why I must just call these first impressions.  I'll play it more later tonight to see if I can warm up to it.
Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: November 11, 2004, 04:43:35 PM

Quote from: shiznitz
You will like it the first week. After that, I cannot predict.

Yeah.  2 days was my limit.  In so many ways it's a huge step backwards from the first one that I just couldn't cope anymore.  n00bie island makes a good impression, but the bloom comes off the rose pretty quick.
Resvrgam
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: November 11, 2004, 07:58:13 PM

Quote from: Kenrick
First impressions:  Third generation, my ass.  Models look lifeless, plastic, and bland.  World looks hum-drum.  For all the hype about its incredible graphics engine, I'm not impressed yet.

The graphics? LOL!

After realizing how poorly designed the engine was from its inception, I got flamed for pointing out the massive inefficiencies the company hopes "Future Hardware" will be able to counteract with brute force.

I conducted a few tests of my own to see just how poorly this engine handles today's bleeding edge hardware and was taken aback at how sloppy the graphics were handled (test system: p4 2.8 GHz, 1 GB RAM, GF 6800 Ultra OC'd):

<> Hair brings a 12-15 FPS drop compared to a "bald" model due to the engine rendering the polys beneath the hair (that we won't ever see).  The Play-Doh hair was bad enough but choking my card when others choose to plop that shit on their heads is rediculous.

<> Clothing and armour consists of a generic catsuit that is placed over the entire body (sans the head) and the body is rendered beneath it: again, more polys we'll never see are getting rendered and killing precious cycles.  It's great that they use bump maps to mimic mulitple armour types but the end result looks like everyone's wearing spandex Halloween costumes (how many suits of mail in other games can show off ass-cheeks the way they do in this game?  Not good when I'm playing a guy and have to go 1st-person to avoid cheek-vision).

<> Shaders turn materials completely different colours so when those materials are outside the LOD parameters enabled for Shader use, the materials turn completely different colours in the lower-res/simpler models (why not make LOD textures that mimic the Shader colour changes?).

<> No LOD Hair models?  After a certain degree of distance beyond the High-Res spectrum, hair vanishes completely...hopefully this will be addressed soon.

<> This is just an opinion but: the artistic aesthetics feel schizophrenic and derived (see: stolen) from too many sources and don't feel cohesive at all (like working on a mural that 20 people start at different ends).

It's a shame that title was such a waste of time, money and talent.  I've met some great people within that community but I'm not planning on buying that re-packaged POS nor do I plan on ever discussing that game beyond its initial "new" factor (which lasts a few months before the mainstream tires of it and moves onto something else).

This great artist I met on the official Fanboy forums summed it up best when she said: "More polys and pixel shaders != superior graphics."

Heck, I could have made a billion-poly mesh in Quake 3 and when it ran like ass, claim it's "intended for future hardware that I've never tested it with."  WoW's graphics may not be some great step forward in aesthetics but: atleast they run well (the "you have to disable shadows, spec-flora & texture quality has to be reduced" limitation that was imposed by EQ2 was pathetic...make something work with today's hardware and scale up, don't drop a pile of poorly coded crap in our laps and blame $500 videocards that handle other games better for your engine's shortcomings).

"In olden times, people studied to improve themselves. Today, they only study to impress others." - Confucius
Sobelius
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: November 12, 2004, 10:17:46 AM

Quote from: Resvrgam
(the "you have to disable shadows, spec-flora & texture quality has to be reduced" limitation that was imposed by EQ2 was pathetic...make something work with today's hardware and scale up, don't drop a pile of poorly coded crap in our laps and blame $500 videocards that handle other games better for your engine's shortcomings).

The graphics option panel has an insane number of options. Some kind soul on the offical boards posted a guide to the options, explaing what each was and how it affects performance, with suggestions for how to get the best desired results -- whether that's performance or appearance.

I tweaked is to run better on my GF3Ti200 and now I get detail for my character and some of the world and not much else. At least I no longer have a semi-slide show in Freeport.

I agree their approach was poor -- CoH and Guild Wars both push some amazing looking graphics even with 50 other toons around me. Things get chocked in EQ2 with 10 people nearby. I did do a "raid" with about 24 people nearby (pre-tweaking) and it was a slide show -- but I still managed to get in sneak attacks with my scout amazingly enough...

I am a shutterbug in online games, and it's just no use bothering in EQ2 unless my toon is alone in his house....so then it feels a little odd...web cam for my room at the inn?

"I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
"A world without Vin Diesel is sad." -- me
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Everquest 2  |  Topic: November 10  
Jump to: