Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:23:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Blood Bowl Bullshit  |  Topic: Was Giveaway, doesn't seem to be any keys left. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Was Giveaway, doesn't seem to be any keys left.  (Read 51445 times)
schild
Administrator

Reply #70 on: November 02, 2008, 12:18:02 PM

Hay lookit those dates. I've been sleeping a week, my bad.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #71 on: November 16, 2008, 09:55:52 AM

Raph- you have 24 hours to get me into the beta.

Or else.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Raph
Developers

Title delayed while we "find the fun."

Reply #72 on: November 16, 2008, 12:19:04 PM

Sheesh, do you people need more keys or what?

I have to admit, you guys have kinda been slackers -- few f13ers seem to be regulars, compared other sources. I don't know if I should waste my infinite invites on you guys... ;)

Send me a PM with email addy, I can hook ya up.
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: November 16, 2008, 03:36:00 PM

Hey man, I built my forest retreat, I'm done. I WIN! At least until I can make it so you can pick berries off the bushes. They make door noises right now. Crazy shrubs!

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #74 on: November 16, 2008, 08:22:44 PM

I really wanted to do more, but it took me 3 weeks to figure out what was causing my Firefox to chug and now I'm into crunch time at college. Forgive me Raph!

By the way, you should note that Ubiquity can cause some FF clients to chug when using programs within the browser.
Raph
Developers

Reply #75 on: November 17, 2008, 12:24:58 PM

Hmm, not sure what we can do about that -- sounds like Ubiquity's problem to me. ;)

Invites were sent -- check your spam folders if you didn't get them.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #76 on: November 17, 2008, 12:44:50 PM

I'm sorry, Raph.  I haven't felt very creative lately, and there's all these games to play...

I guess it's a good thing I didn't take the name of your new community person, Amethyst, when I signed up.  I'd feel bad for not logging in much but blocking her from it.  Tell her it's an awesome name though.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #77 on: November 17, 2008, 04:20:17 PM

Ironically enough, Amethyst is the main reason I am not messing with Metaplace anymore.

I submitted something like 25 bug reports from my first 2-4 hours, from which I received a single email response from her. I was unable to reply directly to it, and then when I expounded on 2 or 3 things, giving more details, she was nice enough to inform me via email that someone (ME !) had submitted that already.

I'm pretty sure that me doing QA is a wasted endeavor unless I am talking directly to someone, plus I am too poor and time starved to do this without getting paid. I guess sending messages to people personally is something game companies are unable or unwilling to do. I can already get my ideas ignored at the job I'm paid for.

Thanks, but no thanks Raph.

I used to write for extinct gaming sites
details available here (unused blog about page)
Raph
Developers

Reply #78 on: November 18, 2008, 12:50:35 AM

Heartbreak

I don't understand... were you expecting 25 email responses or followups? Most bug reports don't get an email at all, if they have enough info with them. They go into a bug DB to get verified by QA and then given to programmers, and so on. Amethyst just gathers info.

It would be nice to send emails to every bug reporter for every bug report, but we're a small company, and there's a lot of bugs given where we are in development. I suppose we could do an automated one... but I get the sense you want personal attention.

Or did you expect her to remember which of the many bugs are submitted by which person? (We're currently not tracking that -- but it's a nice idea! Not much work, really). Honestly, quite a lot of bugs just get reported in live global chat right now too. Or on the forums -- and every forum one does get a reply post, that's policy.

All in all, I am unsure what to do with your feedback because I am unsure what you were expecting of us.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #79 on: November 18, 2008, 02:02:50 PM

Maybe I missed it but I couldn't find any docs on the wiki about make games that aren't based the tween-run-round thing.

I am a little confused on the eula one says the I have ownership right over my content and another says the everything I do is opensource.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 05:17:53 PM by tazelbain »

"Me am play gods"
taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: November 18, 2008, 05:36:42 PM

Heartbreak

I don't understand... were you expecting 25 email responses or followups? Most bug reports don't get an email at all, if they have enough info with them. They go into a bug DB to get verified by QA and then given to programmers, and so on. Amethyst just gathers info.

It would be nice to send emails to every bug reporter for every bug report, but we're a small company, and there's a lot of bugs given where we are in development. I suppose we could do an automated one... but I get the sense you want personal attention.

Communicating is a double edged sword.

It wasn't that I was wanting personal attention, but it is true that testers want to feel like they have an active role, and their bug submissions are meaningful... So the responses are something that helps in a sense.

For me, it also was equally negative, because the one response was saying that I had already submitted something and it was directed to the proper people (when I was adding additional information about other places I saw the same issue). This response also came while 20 other things might not get fully looked at, be addressed, or possibly just didn't merit a reply.

I did get responses, but not on everything (like personal messages /bonkRaph), and what it did reveal was the inability to directly communicate with someone if I wanted to further troubleshoot or include more details about the same issue.

Or did you expect her to remember which of the many bugs are submitted by which person? (We're currently not tracking that -- but it's a nice idea! Not much work, really). Honestly, quite a lot of bugs just get reported in live global chat right now too. Or on the forums -- and every forum one does get a reply post, that's policy.

It wasn't her forgetting I submitted something, because in fact she did remember it was my submission, but it seemed my additional information might not get submitted because it had already been brought to the correct person/dev/department.

It would be cool to track who submitted or squashed what bugs, and could even be an achievement of some sort, but that's another idea/improvement that I get exactly nothing (or pay a monthly subscription fee) for happily posting as feedback or a forum post.

I have given away far too ideas as bug submissions or forum posts, and even stopped posting in development forums because my ideas end up not being mine anymore (for instance I have a solution to the "no loot" thread in the mmo forum that I can never post because it's that good).

All in all, I am unsure what to do with your feedback because I am unsure what you were expecting of us.

It was less me giving you feedback and more me venting some about my jaded beta tester history, combined with my letting you know that I really need (and could thrive) with direct input. I've done enough of beta testing and bug submission that it's a lot of time I don't have, that doesn't feel rewarding enough for me anymore.

Mostly my post was to let you know that I can't spend much time devoted to helping you, especially when I would want to communicate directly with you (or someone) to feel my input was worthwhile.

I don't really have any expectations anymore as a beta tester, because I would never be earning credits toward my subscription fee for every bug submission, like beta testers maybe should get. (<--look another free idea)
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 05:38:22 PM by taolurker »

I used to write for extinct gaming sites
details available here (unused blog about page)
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #81 on: November 18, 2008, 06:27:45 PM

It would be nice to send emails to every bug reporter for every bug report, but we're a small company, and there's a lot of bugs given where we are in development.
For a small pittance I will do this! I don't need to pay attention in class anyway awesome, for real
Raph
Developers

Reply #82 on: November 18, 2008, 11:05:02 PM

Maybe I missed it but I couldn't find any docs on the wiki about make games that aren't based the tween-run-round thing.

I am a little confused on the eula one says the I have ownership right over my content and another says the everything I do is opensource.

You do have ownership rights over your content. However, right now we have not turned on the ability to mark modules as closed source. (Your world is closed source by definition, but if you put something on the market right now, the source will be visible when imported).
Raph
Developers

Reply #83 on: November 18, 2008, 11:07:02 PM

Taolurker,

I hear you, more feedback is a good thing. I'll see what we can do about that.

Sending me bug reports via personal message -- I forward 'em on myself! :) Of course, it is easier for me to bitch when something isn't fixed when I want it.

I do have to tell you -- ideas are cheap and largely worthless. Implementations have value, though. So if I were you I would post my loot idea. :)
Iniquity

Email
Reply #84 on: November 20, 2008, 02:57:39 PM

Once there's more middleware out there (i.e. import grid movement with a few clicks, import a basic zelda/mario/metroid/whatever style combat system with a few clicks), I'll give it more of a go.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #85 on: November 20, 2008, 04:36:10 PM

I have given away far too ideas as bug submissions or forum posts, and even stopped posting in development forums because my ideas end up not being mine anymore (for instance I have a solution to the "no loot" thread in the mmo forum that I can never post because it's that good).

Unless you have chance of profiting from the idea, I don't see how it's relevant whether you hide it or not. So do you?

Personally, I stop typing up my ideas because it's just not worth doing it for something no one is going to read.

"Me am play gods"
schild
Administrator

Reply #86 on: November 20, 2008, 04:57:15 PM

for instance I have a solution to the "no loot" thread in the mmo forum that I can never post because it's that good

I bet you don't.

Edit: Before you assume it was a dick thing and respond like a hurt puppy, I bet you don't simply because your definition of loot is probably a lot more narrow than mine and you assume that your "solution" has no loot. Whereas my definition of loot in that thread was as a basic building block in any game, as in everything has loot. In other words, I'd like you to prove my definition wrong with your "lootless" mmo. As in, I bet you don't.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 04:59:45 PM by schild »
Raph
Developers

Reply #87 on: November 20, 2008, 07:13:52 PM

Once there's more middleware out there (i.e. import grid movement with a few clicks, import a basic zelda/mario/metroid/whatever style combat system with a few clicks), I'll give it more of a go.

See? It's implementations that have value. ;)

Wasted
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: November 21, 2008, 01:43:37 AM

Can you implement me a beta invite please?  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #89 on: November 22, 2008, 04:16:48 PM

I was building the 'standard' hedge maze and while I was dinking around with one of the object settings all the jedge objects got moved to new (seemingly random) positions and I haven't felt like going back to try something else.  Maybe after Thanksgiving I'll give it another shot.  Mostly I'm a player not a builder and it seems like it's still a little early for the likes of me to be involved.

Raph
Developers

Reply #90 on: November 22, 2008, 04:34:08 PM

I bet you changed the anchor spot for the hedge.
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #91 on: November 22, 2008, 11:07:03 PM

Yup that was it.  Couldn't find a simple way to undo it and I kind of wandered off and forgot about it. 
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #92 on: November 24, 2008, 11:54:33 PM

It's always nice to get some automated chatter from the bug system when something is actually acted on.  Though that does usually mean more effort, because most people don't want to publish their internal state -- so you end up having internal/external status and sometimes commentary.  Many companies never bother with the extra effort for all that.

Tracking the submitter does have use if you ever want to request more information on the issue.  Depends on how often this is likely to be useful in a given environment...
UnsGub
Terracotta Army

Reply #93 on: December 02, 2008, 12:01:57 PM

Public bug tracking works:

http://jira.secondlife.com/secure/Dashboard.jspa
http://bugs.adobe.com/
UnsGub
Terracotta Army

Reply #94 on: December 02, 2008, 12:08:34 PM

I submitted something like 25 bug reports from my first 2-4 hours,

I'm pretty sure that me doing QA is a wasted endeavor unless I am talking directly to someone,

Sounds like you have some testing abilities.

Testing that involves talking is highly inefficient.  Many places do that as common practice.  If it cannot be communicate in text or screenshots then the environment or problem is not understood clearly enough which means the tester needs to learn more.
cmlancas
Terracotta Army

Reply #95 on: January 16, 2009, 09:58:34 AM

We still have keys for distribution?  I've misplaced my original e-mail and am still looking to browse the building tools.

awesome, for real

f13 Street Cred of the week:
I can't promise anything other than trauma and tragedy. -- schild
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #96 on: January 20, 2009, 01:03:31 PM

I somehow missed getting into this.  Is it too late?
Raph
Developers

Reply #97 on: January 20, 2009, 02:17:55 PM

Try IWEEK, it was a key giveaway last week that hasn't been all used up.
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #98 on: January 21, 2009, 10:44:45 AM

I can't tell if there are keys left or not.  I tried to register, and got "can not open socket" as a response after putting in the code.

Btw, Raph, that captcha on the registration page is the worst one I've ever seen.
Raph
Developers

Reply #99 on: January 21, 2009, 07:07:50 PM

Cannot open socket? Like, on the web page? Or the client?

I'll ask if we can use the pretty, legible captchas instead. ;) But I think the one we are using is that one that helps decipher unscannable text or whatever.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #100 on: January 22, 2009, 07:29:34 AM

But I think the one we are using is that one that helps decipher unscannable text or whatever.

Only if you install a plug in, that resets the page.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Raph
Developers

Reply #101 on: January 22, 2009, 12:48:02 PM

But I think the one we are using is that one that helps decipher unscannable text or whatever.

Not sure what you mean. I meant, we use reCaptcha: http://recaptcha.net/

No plugin is needed... it's just that the captcha text is used to help decipher scans of old books and newspapers being added to archives.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #102 on: January 22, 2009, 01:03:51 PM

No plugin is needed... it's just that the captcha text is used to help decipher scans of old books and newspapers being added to archives.

Yes, click on the audio, or "say it for me" button on the reCaptcha thingy.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
schild
Administrator

Reply #103 on: January 22, 2009, 01:19:46 PM

Yes, click on the audio, or "say it for me" button on the reCaptcha thingy.

Jesus christ it's the music of Erich Zann.
Raph
Developers

Reply #104 on: January 22, 2009, 03:21:45 PM

Heh, I have never even used the audio button... it's an extra perk, you don't need the plugin to use the captcha.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Blood Bowl Bullshit  |  Topic: Was Giveaway, doesn't seem to be any keys left.  
Jump to: