Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:12:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: Epic Power POOLS announced 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Epic Power POOLS announced  (Read 3778 times)
eldaec
Terracotta Army

on: November 10, 2004, 03:26:18 PM

http://www.cityofheroes.com/features_update.html

Highlights....

You get to choose a 5th power pool at level 41 and above, you can only choose one epic power pool, and you cannot choose a 5th normal power pool instead.

Different ATs get access to different EPPs as follows....

Blasters:

Blasters can choose from four new Epic Power Pools, with an eye towards defense and control. Cold Mastery has such powers as Flash Freeze. Force Mastery gives access to Personal Force Field and Repulsion Field. Flame Mastery has Fire Shield, and ultimately Rise of the Phoenix. Finally, Munitions Mastery is an all “new” power, which includes Body Armor and a Sleep Grenade.

Controllers:

Controllers get some pools that can up their damage potential. They have five pools from which to choose. Stone Mastery includes Hurl Boulder and the new Fissure power. Fire Mastery gives access to Fire Blast and Fire Ball. Ice Mastery contains Ice Blast and Frozen Armor. Primal Forces Mastery gives Power Blast and Temporary Invulnerability potential. Finally, characters who learn Psionic Mastery can learn Mental Blast and the new Mind Over Body power.

Defenders:

Defenders get access to Epic Powers in four pools that compliment their already impressive array. Dark Mastery gives access to Oppressive Gloom and Soul Drain. Power Mastery allows a Defender to Conserve Power and eventually learn Total Focus. Psychic Mastery includes Mass Hypnosis and the aforementioned Mind Over Body. Lastly, Electric Fence and the new Charged Armor are available in the Electricity Mastery pool.

Scrappers:

Scrappers have access to three Epic Power Pools. Some Scrappers may learn Body Mastery, which gives them Focused Accuracy (a new Accuracy boosting power), and Energy Torrent. Other Scrappers may find Darkness Mastery appealing, giving them Dark Blast and Tenebrous Tentacles if they so desire. Finally, Scrappers can choose Weapon Mastery, allowing them access to Web Grenades and two new Shuriken (throwing star) powers.

Tankers:

Tankers can choose from four Epic Power Pools. The first of these is Energy Mastery, which includes Conserve Power and the new Laser Beam Eyes. Pyre Mastery is a Fire Tanker’s best friend, as it gives them access to Ring of Fire and Fire Ball. Arctic Mastery allows a Tanker to learn Chilblain and Ice Storm. Finally, Tankers now get to enjoy Earth Mastery which contains Stone Prison and Fossilize powers.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: November 10, 2004, 04:17:33 PM

sounds interesting. I wonder how this will affect game balance? The current level cap is 50 correct? Is this intended to up survivability and such do you think?

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
geldonyetich
Terracotta Army

The Anne Coulter of MMO punditry

Reply #2 on: November 10, 2004, 05:54:57 PM

Looks like the epic powers mostly cover the weaknesses of the class.  For example, Tankers and Scrappers get some ranged attacks/snares to put down those fleeing opponents, while Controllers get some extra damage to complement their pathetic output.

Pity I'd have to wait until level 41 to supplement Conjecture's pathetic firepower.   Only 25 levels to go!

Not going to happen.  Already restarted a new Controller with Gravity/Force Fields instead of Mind Control/Weather Control.   Plays like an entirely different character, but I can't really say my damage output will be all that much better until about level 20.  Propel does heavy damage, and I eventually get a pet, so it looks flavorable.

schild
Administrator

Reply #3 on: November 10, 2004, 05:59:04 PM

Fuck. I think I might resub. There's some cool sounding shit in there and I liked playing a little tart in a mini skirt with a bubbly ass.
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

Reply #4 on: November 10, 2004, 08:20:54 PM

Quote from: schild
Fuck. I think I might resub. There's some cool sounding shit in there and I liked playing a little tart in a mini skirt with a bubbly ass.

Dropping hints for your new avatar, eh?
schild
Administrator

Reply #5 on: November 10, 2004, 08:25:37 PM

No.
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: November 10, 2004, 10:44:52 PM

Quote from: geldonyetich
..... while Controllers get some extra damage to complement their pathetic output......

See, from the perspective of a blaster, I have always wondered about this:

There are 6 controller power sets and all but one gets pets:
-  Fire: SICK damage once you get imps. SICK SICK SICK.
-  Illusion: Nearly as sick as Fire, but balanced by the fact that Phantom Army is INDESTRUCTABLE!!!
-  Gravity:  Who needs uber damage output from a pet that is essentially Mini Me to a grav controller? Get two or three of these out, and the mobs spend ALL their time floading around getting crushed to death.
-  Ice, Earth:  Cant say I have seen these two in action enough to comment on how effective the pets are.
-  Mind: No pets. They REALLY should fix this one, at least work something in so you get exp for the stuff your dominated things kill.

In the early game, controllers suck solo, mainly due to their precived lack of damage.  Post 34 or so, once they have their pets slotted out, most single controller can easily rival a blaster for damage output, and with MUCH less risk of dying, since the pets are the focus of most of the aggro AND the controller can still CONTROLL the mobs quite well also.

So how again is the epic power pool at level 40+ going to really effect this stuff?

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: November 10, 2004, 11:57:07 PM

It might look from the description that controllers will get a damage output increase, but in fact, they will not.

The problem with controller damage was never a lack of damage powers, the problem is the AT's modifier that gets applied to damage.

This will only bring earth, ice, mind controllers up to the pre-pet damage output of fire, & illusion. (and then only when earth/ice/mind reach a level in the high 40s)

They should fix controllers by opening the pet powers earlier, and fixing jack frost, animate poo, and mind control charm/confuse powers. imo.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: November 11, 2004, 12:10:41 AM

Quote from: geldonyetich

Not going to happen.  Already restarted a new Controller with Gravity/Force Fields instead of Mind Control/Weather Control.   Plays like an entirely different character, but I can't really say my damage output will be all that much better until about level 20.  Propel does heavy damage, and I eventually get a pet, so it looks flavorable.

I have a grav/ff controller - though mostly retired due to 'grav pre-pet control gap' (only powers that are proper cc for most situations are your single target hold, aoe hold, and dimension shift) and damage/cast time issues.

You shouldn't be using propel for damage, it's cool to watch, but try using crush and lift to kill things, they have a considerably higher dps, plus lift is effectively a short duration stun. (Boxing and other pool powers are higher still - though not ranged ofc)

Propel, due to it's insanely long cast time, actually has a lower dps than brawl, use it for giggles and the knockback by all means, but if you want something to die - switch to a crush/lift cycle.

If you are still fairly low and are looking for a relatively high damage controller, I'd seriously consider switching to illusion or fire.

geldonyetich
Terracotta Army

The Anne Coulter of MMO punditry

Reply #9 on: November 11, 2004, 09:30:06 AM

You're right, propel does take an insanely long time to cast, it sort of prevents the Gravity Controller from doing much in the way of damage.   Also, I notice that even with a couple of damage enhancers in there, a base slice from a Scrapper seems to do more damage.   Bleh.

One nice thing about Lift is that it doesn't require you wait for the animation to finish to start with your next move.  Thus, I found Lift/Crush to be more efficent than Crush/Lift.  

Back in beta I had some fun with my Mind Controller/Force Field character because I would throw down this combination:

Levitate, Propel, Mesmerize.

It would cause the mob to fly upwards, then backwards over any obstacles, and before it landed it would be slept well out of harms way of the rest of the group.

Since I'm only level 8, though I've been avoiding it, I guess I might as well go with what I knew I would eventually.   An Illusion/Kinetics Controller, since they can do just about everything with their primary and secondary powers alone.  Siphon power increases my damage output.   Spectral Wounds does extreme damage, though a third to a half of it heals in time.   Invisibility is part of their primary power set.  Decieve is perfect for breaking up those unsoloable fights.   At a measily 18th they get their first pet.   Siphon speed both lets me travel quickly at lower levels and is a snare, later they get another secondary power that allows superjumping.    Transferance allows them to heal (albeit it's awkward to use).      Later on they get powers to increase endurance recovery.   Ect.

This archetype power combo has things too good, and the main reason I avoided it was fear of lack of originality.   However, that's sort of an empty fear.

Now to develop a good backstory that fits the powers, hmmm...

Fire Controlling is supposed to do the most damage, quite deliberately, It's the same for Fire in other archetypes: Fire is the "most damage via DoT, least utility" choice.  Unfortunately, I can't see myself as the pyro type, and I don't think I could wait until level 32 to get those imps anyway.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #10 on: November 11, 2004, 11:27:49 AM

Scrappers with web grenades? Nice. :)

kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: November 11, 2004, 12:11:27 PM

The new powers pools for 41+ sound pretty good. By that time you start seeing some crazy shit and being able to shore up some of the inherant weaknesses of your archtype are handy.

Most of the powers do not sound to crazy just some good powers and some fun stuff. Tanks with freaking eye beams is going to be a popular one.

One thing though if you are a controller I would not touch that psychic power pool unless the power they give you is not the new newbie psychic blast which I think it is. That power is a dog huge animation time and poor damage. I loved pretty much the entire psychic set except that one power gah.

The scrapper one sounds great for somebody trying to play a batman like character.

Combined with the retooling of the armor stacking and powers of various tank and scrapper sets they are deffinatly chugging along doing their stuff and doing it pretty well.
kaid
Jealous Deva
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: November 12, 2004, 08:47:24 PM

Eh by the time you're 41 you either have a good build and are eradicating things or you quit a long time ago.  I don't really see how this helps much.

I'm in the same boat as a lot of people, I like playing controllers.  Which means I can't ever advance.  I could play an illusion controller, except that an illusion controller doesn't control, he sits there and lets his pet do all the work while throwing out a flash every once in a while.

I could play a fire controller, but I don't have anyone to powerlevel me, so some nebulous promise of power after 300 hours of sucky play isn't that appealing either.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: Epic Power POOLS announced  
Jump to: